Using Concatenate function to generate text in Text Box

I would like to have a text box on my chart, whose text is generated by
concatenating the values from two different cells (B4 and B6) on a specific
worksheet in my Excel file.  I was able to use a reference to cell B4 to
generate the text for my text box using the following formula:

='SSTyp-AllD'!$H$4

However, when I try to enter either of the following formulas for the text
box text:

=concatenate('SSTyp-AllD'!$H$4, 'SSTyp-AllD'!$H$6)
='SSTyp-AllD'!$H$4 & 'SSTyp-AllD'!$H$6

I get the error message "The text you entered is not a valid reference or
defined name".

Is what I am attempting to do simply impossible in Excel?  (I am running
Excel 2003 SP1).  Or, is there some way to do this that I am missing?

--
Thanks,
Mary S.

Hi,

The only formula you can use is a cell address. So do the concatenation
in another cell and link to that one instead.

Cheers
Andy

Mary S. wrote:
> I would like to have a text box on my chart, whose text is generated by
> concatenating the values from two different cells (B4 and B6) on a specific
> worksheet in my Excel file.  I was able to use a reference to cell B4 to
> generate the text for my text box using the following formula:
>
> ='SSTyp-AllD'!$H$4
>
> However, when I try to enter either of the following formulas for the text
> box text:
>
> =concatenate('SSTyp-AllD'!$H$4, 'SSTyp-AllD'!$H$6)
> ='SSTyp-AllD'!$H$4 & 'SSTyp-AllD'!$H$6
>
> I get the error message "The text you entered is not a valid reference or
> defined name".
>
> Is what I am attempting to do simply impossible in Excel?  (I am running
> Excel 2003 SP1).  Or, is there some way to do this that I am missing?

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

error C2440: 'type cast' : cannot convert from 'overloaded-function' to 'LPHANDLER_FUNCTION'
I wrote a VC program for service...In VC 6 it working fine...But In Visual Studio 2005 it got errorrs... My code is give below.... void CRRMService::ServiceMain() { int error; //MEMORYSTATUS memory; int result; ServiceStatus.dwServiceType = SERVICE_WIN32; ServiceStatus.dwCurrentState = SERVICE_START_PENDING; ServiceStatus.dwControlsAccepted = SERVICE_ACCEPT_STOP | SERVICE_ACCEPT_SHUTDOWN; ServiceStatus.dwWin32ExitCode = 0; ServiceStatus.dwServiceSpecificExitCode = 0; ServiceStatus.dwCheckPoint = 0; ServiceStatus.dwWaitHint ...

using forms

Concatenation problem
I have a big table preparing for a community telephone directory with these entries: =(CONCATENATE(N6377,", ",L6377," ",M6377," & ",O6377," ",P6377," ",Q6377)) L M N O P Q Result Thomas C Zwart Donna M Zwart Zwart, Thomas C & Donna M Zwart Lou E Zwick Zwick, Lou E & Morton Zwick Marla Izaks Zwick, Morton & Marla Izaks Saul Zwirn ...

Paste as text not HTML
In WOrd 2007 one can FINALLY paste info from a web page as text as the default, not as HTML. Is this available in Excel 2007? I can't find it. -- Für Elise - Support the Breast Cancer & Heart Foundations ...

Using Spanish on Publisher

FormulaR1C1 using variables

how do you Create flashing Text
I am creating a newsletter and want one of the titles in the newsletter to flash or blink. How do I do this? Ask this here: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign&cat=en_US_1845e149-582a-4e62-8d76-f1c90f948f44&lang=en&cr=US -- Mary Sauer MVP http://msauer.mvps.org/ "lukieguy22" <lukieguy22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E40D83D-8E98-40A7-ABE1-94307073C79E@microsoft.com... >I am creating a newsletter and want one of the titles in the newsletter to > flash ...

Using XML with ASP.NET

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

IE8 Generating Firewall Alerts
IE8 on a fully managed instance of Vista Premium continues to generate firewall alerts when requesting a specific website and also a subdomain. I've tried clearing cache and resetting IE8 and have no idea what could possible be causing this browser to send HTTP requests to a server which are clearly being considered dangerous or malformed in some way such that the firewall on the server responds and returns a firewall alert. It's apparently only happening with IE8 on this Vista machine. Testing with IE8 using Virtual PC XP Pro works okay as does on other machines, other ...

Using secured OMA

scatter plots using pivot table data

Using resources, how to ?

Allow temporarily use of right click

How to use interfaces

What do you use Excel for?

using extended desktop mode
How can I move an Excel spreadsheet onto my second monitor. Word and Internet provide no problems, I just click & drag. Same way. You have to have the application window in a non-maximised state though, and you can then drag it from one to the other, or even size it so it spreads across the two screens completely. If I have the window maximised though, I am unable to drag it from screen to screen. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ------------------------------�-------------------------...

Return only a portion of text
i have the following column which contains user names GIDS/Martin GIDS/Alex I'd like to take out the GIDS/ portion of the text and only return the name at the end. Thanks for any help. On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 11:36:06 -0700, Qaspec <Qaspec@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i have the following column which contains user names > >GIDS/Martin >GIDS/Alex > >I'd like to take out the GIDS/ portion of the text and only return the name >at the end. Thanks for any help. As in: DECLARE @str varchar(100) SET @str = 'GIDS/Martin' ...