Unusual Y Axis Scale Question

I am trying to create what is referred to in the medical literature as a
"reciprocal creatine curve." The data is rather simple -- just serum
creatinine values (Y-axis) over time (X-axis), but the Y-axis scale is quite
unusual. The scale is not linear and it's not logarithmic. It's a scale in
which the values appear to constantly accelerate. Thus, the distance between
1 and 2 is greater than the distance between 2 and  3, the distance between
2 and 3 is greater than the distance between 3 and 4, etc. Toward the very
top of the Y-axis the incremental distance between values becomes
infinitesimally small.

Is this scale possible to recreate in Excel? Any help is sincerely
appreciated.


0
2/8/2004 6:42:06 PM
excel.charting 18370 articles. 0 followers. Follow

6 Replies
646 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 45

Hello Gene,
If you can plot it manually we expect to be able to do it in Excel. But you
are asking a lot of this group - you have not told us what to plot. Are you
thinking of the Michaelis Menten equation? Or is it some other function of
[S] that needs to be worked out?
We would love to help but need more info

-- 
Bernard Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
remove CAPS in e-mail address

"Gene" <gene.cooney@cox.net> wrote in message
news:u0kZCTn7DHA.1504@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> I am trying to create what is referred to in the medical literature as a
> "reciprocal creatine curve." The data is rather simple -- just serum
> creatinine values (Y-axis) over time (X-axis), but the Y-axis scale is
quite
> unusual. The scale is not linear and it's not logarithmic. It's a scale in
> which the values appear to constantly accelerate. Thus, the distance
between
> 1 and 2 is greater than the distance between 2 and  3, the distance
between
> 2 and 3 is greater than the distance between 3 and 4, etc. Toward the very
> top of the Y-axis the incremental distance between values becomes
> infinitesimally small.
>
> Is this scale possible to recreate in Excel? Any help is sincerely
> appreciated.
>
>


0
bliengme5824 (3040)
2/8/2004 11:57:06 PM
Thanks for the reply, Bernard.

The data that needs to be plotted as actually quite simple. They are serum
creatinine values (a measure of kidney function) over time. E.g.:

Jan. 1 => 1.8
April  1 => 2.1
July 1 => 2.3
Oct 1 => 2.4
Jan 1 => 2.8
April 1 = 2.9
Etc.

(All values are in mg/Dl, or milligrams per deciliter.)

Although it would be easy to plot these data on a graph with standard Y-axis
values that were uniformly incremental, the preferred way to plot the data
is with the "accelerating" Y-axis values that I have described. When you
actually see the data plotted out, you realize the benefit of doing it this
way. In the early stages of chronic renal insufficiency, the subtle changes
of a few tenths of a point are more accurate and significant, whereas in the
later stages, known as ESRF (end-stage renal failure), subtle changes in
creatinine on the order of 1/10 point are relatively meaningless for a few
different reasons. At these higher values, the labs can't measure that
accurately and, once you reach a value 3 or so, you better get on the list
for renal transplant anyway.

When the data is plotted in the way I described the trend line is much
steeper than it would be with a uniformly incremented Y-axis, thus
demonstrating the progression of the disease more graphically.

So, it's not the data that is complex, it's just the scale of the Y-axis.

I hope this clarifies it. Thanks again.

"Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@stfx.TRUENORTH.ca> wrote in message
news:%23ul7I9p7DHA.488@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hello Gene,
> If you can plot it manually we expect to be able to do it in Excel. But
you
> are asking a lot of this group - you have not told us what to plot. Are
you
> thinking of the Michaelis Menten equation? Or is it some other function of
> [S] that needs to be worked out?
> We would love to help but need more info
>
> -- 
> Bernard Liengme
> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
> remove CAPS in e-mail address
>
> "Gene" <gene.cooney@cox.net> wrote in message
> news:u0kZCTn7DHA.1504@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > I am trying to create what is referred to in the medical literature as a
> > "reciprocal creatine curve." The data is rather simple -- just serum
> > creatinine values (Y-axis) over time (X-axis), but the Y-axis scale is
> quite
> > unusual. The scale is not linear and it's not logarithmic. It's a scale
in
> > which the values appear to constantly accelerate. Thus, the distance
> between
> > 1 and 2 is greater than the distance between 2 and  3, the distance
> between
> > 2 and 3 is greater than the distance between 3 and 4, etc. Toward the
very
> > top of the Y-axis the incremental distance between values becomes
> > infinitesimally small.
> >
> > Is this scale possible to recreate in Excel? Any help is sincerely
> > appreciated.
> >
> >
>
>


0
2/9/2004 1:10:46 AM
Bernard:

I was able to find an image of the "reciprocal graph" on the following
Website:

http://www.wfubmc.edu/intmed/nephrology/Graph.htm

Thanks again.

"Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@stfx.TRUENORTH.ca> wrote in message
news:%23ul7I9p7DHA.488@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hello Gene,
> If you can plot it manually we expect to be able to do it in Excel. But
you
> are asking a lot of this group - you have not told us what to plot. Are
you
> thinking of the Michaelis Menten equation? Or is it some other function of
> [S] that needs to be worked out?
> We would love to help but need more info
>
> -- 
> Bernard Liengme
> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
> remove CAPS in e-mail address
>
> "Gene" <gene.cooney@cox.net> wrote in message
> news:u0kZCTn7DHA.1504@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > I am trying to create what is referred to in the medical literature as a
> > "reciprocal creatine curve." The data is rather simple -- just serum
> > creatinine values (Y-axis) over time (X-axis), but the Y-axis scale is
> quite
> > unusual. The scale is not linear and it's not logarithmic. It's a scale
in
> > which the values appear to constantly accelerate. Thus, the distance
> between
> > 1 and 2 is greater than the distance between 2 and  3, the distance
> between
> > 2 and 3 is greater than the distance between 3 and 4, etc. Toward the
very
> > top of the Y-axis the incremental distance between values becomes
> > infinitesimally small.
> >
> > Is this scale possible to recreate in Excel? Any help is sincerely
> > appreciated.
> >
> >
>
>


0
2/9/2004 12:01:28 PM
The easiest way to do what you want -- assuming I understand the 
problem correctly -- is the following:

Plot the data and configure the y-axis scale with 'Log Scale' checked 
as well as 'Values in reverse order'

Optionally, break up the data into chunks that make sense to you.  Plot 
each chunk on a separate graph using the customization above.

-- 
Regards,

Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel
www.tushar-mehta.com
Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <uqXs2Xw7DHA.696@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, gene.cooney@cox.net 
says...
> Bernard:
> 
> I was able to find an image of the "reciprocal graph" on the following
> Website:
> 
> http://www.wfubmc.edu/intmed/nephrology/Graph.htm
> 
> Thanks again.
> 
> "Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@stfx.TRUENORTH.ca> wrote in message
> news:%23ul7I9p7DHA.488@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > Hello Gene,
> > If you can plot it manually we expect to be able to do it in Excel. But
> you
> > are asking a lot of this group - you have not told us what to plot. Are
> you
> > thinking of the Michaelis Menten equation? Or is it some other function of
> > [S] that needs to be worked out?
> > We would love to help but need more info
> >
> > -- 
> > Bernard Liengme
> > www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
> > remove CAPS in e-mail address
> >
> > "Gene" <gene.cooney@cox.net> wrote in message
> > news:u0kZCTn7DHA.1504@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > > I am trying to create what is referred to in the medical literature as a
> > > "reciprocal creatine curve." The data is rather simple -- just serum
> > > creatinine values (Y-axis) over time (X-axis), but the Y-axis scale is
> > quite
> > > unusual. The scale is not linear and it's not logarithmic. It's a scale
> in
> > > which the values appear to constantly accelerate. Thus, the distance
> > between
> > > 1 and 2 is greater than the distance between 2 and  3, the distance
> > between
> > > 2 and 3 is greater than the distance between 3 and 4, etc. Toward the
> very
> > > top of the Y-axis the incremental distance between values becomes
> > > infinitesimally small.
> > >
> > > Is this scale possible to recreate in Excel? Any help is sincerely
> > > appreciated.
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> 
> 
> 
0
2/9/2004 2:09:28 PM
Gene -

I have an example on my web site showing a reciprocal temperature scale:

   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/RecipAxisChart.html

It's a variation on the Arbitrary Axis technique:

   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
http://PeltierTech.com/Excel/Charts/
_______

Gene wrote:

> I am trying to create what is referred to in the medical literature as a
> "reciprocal creatine curve." The data is rather simple -- just serum
> creatinine values (Y-axis) over time (X-axis), but the Y-axis scale is quite
> unusual. The scale is not linear and it's not logarithmic. It's a scale in
> which the values appear to constantly accelerate. Thus, the distance between
> 1 and 2 is greater than the distance between 2 and  3, the distance between
> 2 and 3 is greater than the distance between 3 and 4, etc. Toward the very
> top of the Y-axis the incremental distance between values becomes
> infinitesimally small.
> 
> Is this scale possible to recreate in Excel? Any help is sincerely
> appreciated.
> 
> 

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
2/9/2004 4:11:22 PM
Thanks. That gives me something to work with. Much appreciated!


"Jon Peltier" <jonxlmvpNO@SPAMpeltiertech.com> wrote in message
news:%23%23JaSdy7DHA.2392@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Gene -
>
> I have an example on my web site showing a reciprocal temperature scale:
>
>    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/RecipAxisChart.html
>
> It's a variation on the Arbitrary Axis technique:
>
>    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> http://PeltierTech.com/Excel/Charts/
> _______
>
> Gene wrote:
>
> > I am trying to create what is referred to in the medical literature as a
> > "reciprocal creatine curve." The data is rather simple -- just serum
> > creatinine values (Y-axis) over time (X-axis), but the Y-axis scale is
quite
> > unusual. The scale is not linear and it's not logarithmic. It's a scale
in
> > which the values appear to constantly accelerate. Thus, the distance
between
> > 1 and 2 is greater than the distance between 2 and  3, the distance
between
> > 2 and 3 is greater than the distance between 3 and 4, etc. Toward the
very
> > top of the Y-axis the incremental distance between values becomes
> > infinitesimally small.
> >
> > Is this scale possible to recreate in Excel? Any help is sincerely
> > appreciated.
> >
> >
>


0
2/10/2004 1:18:34 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Modeless Dialog Box Question
I have an application which has 2 modeless dialog boxes, a "main" dialog box, and a second box which is launched from the main's menu . If both boxes are visible, the second dialog box remains "on top" when I click the main dialog box's title bar. What do do I have to do so the main dialog box comes to the foreground when it receives focus. Thanks in advance. ...

Publisher 2002 question
Is there a way to set up an address book in Publisher 2002? Yes maam. Open Publisher and go to Tools > Mail Merge > Create Address List -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "judyt" <judyt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:39CFC3DE-47B6-4131-B406-AECDA88791BB@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to set up an address book in Publisher 2002? ...

Percentage on x axis and period range on y axis
Hi I'm trying to plot the length of time staff have worked for a company on the y axis in ranges i.e 0-6 months, 6-12 months etc. I have a seperate column that has converted the months worked into each of these catagories. I then would like to show on the x axis the percentage of staff that fall into each period. I would certainly appreciate any assistance! Wayne Wayne Beasley wrote: > Hi > > I'm trying to plot the length of time staff have worked for a company > on the y axis in ranges i.e 0-6 months, 6-12 months etc. I have a > seperate column that has converted t...

Exchange 2007 disk space question
Hi, We have around 500 mailboxes and our Mailbox database is getting very large. We may soon be running low on disk space on the server. The server is attached to a SAN but the SAN is pretty much full. We cannot asign more space to the drives where the database store sits. We are using LCR. Can we move the store to another network location or does the disk have to be attached to the exchange server. Does moving the mailboxes to a newly created store really get much space back. When a consultant did our migration from 2003 to 2007 a couple of years ago I did not notice mu...

variable for Y values in chart
On my Bias chart, under Source Data, Series, my Y values =Correlations! $D$8:$D$59 Is there a way to make the ending location ($D$59) a variable? I want the Y values ending location read from a cell entered by the user. So, let say, in cell C16, I want my user to enter the ending cell for the Y values they want to use for the Bias chart. Therefore, cell C16 would have D59 entered by the user. Thanks Don Use a dynamic range name with a Refersto value of =OFFSET(Sheet1!$D$8,,,$C$16,1) and refer to the name in the chart source data. -- --- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail...

Questions on Outlook XP
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3140849477_1481258 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit Two questions in the use of Outlook XP: 1. For some reason all my names are listed with a first name first, not last name. This is confusing. So I went into Properties and selected the �File As� hoping that would then display last names first. But it didn�t. What am I doing wrong? 2. When Outlook opens I want it to open to my Inbox au...

secondary (Y) axis greyed out on Chart Options
I'm trying to add a secondary Y and then X axis in XP Professional, but they are greyed out on the Chart Options Box and when I follow Excel's Help directions, SELECTED DATA SERIES does not show up on the FORMAT tab. How would one 'unlock' the ability to insert secondary axis' in an Excel chart? when EXCEL HELP doesn't work? 1. What kind of chart? 2. How many series are in the chart? You must have two series to enable adding a secondary axis, and you add it by assigning at least one series to the secondary axis. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tu...

Unusual occurance of this error
We're getting this error, but it is not due to the usual reasons that I can find in the KB, or the newsgroups. I've narrowed it down to imported items from the old Exchange Server. It's mainly calendar appointments, but there are too many of them that re-creating them is not an easy task. If you create a new calendar item and invite attendees, there are no problems. But editing old items and resending generates this error: Subject: Undeliverable: Canceled: E-Menu Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: Canceled: E-Menu Se...

How to insert 2 scales on y-axis?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to insert 2 scales on y-axis? one scale on the left and the other scale on the right. Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric I have just put up a file at:- http://www.pierrefondes.com/ It is item number 26 at the top of my home page. What follows is said in reference to the above file (called secondary_axis). Take the following action in EXCEL 2007:- - click somewhere in one of the blue columns (on chart itself) - this will place blue circles around those columns - right hand click and select Format Data Series ...

Question of RAID in x64
I've installed win 7 Pro x64 in a computer with RAID-1, two same disks mirroring each other. well I don't want anymore this option, the RAID is done on the RAID connection of MOBO, not in the SATA alone connections and is done via post-BIOS. I've done some trials, I've disconnected the HD from the RAID connection and connected to the pure SATA connections, but OS doesn't start, could be that RAID has not been unsetup. what should I have to do?? 1 - go into RAID configuration during booting and break the RAID if I'd do this do I lost the info in H...

Unusual Security Audits
be happening. At one point there was 350 audits in 1 second, the same 4 events repeated, special logon, logon, Kerberos Service Ticket Operations, Logoff. I disabled IPv6 and found things are running a little better, but I'm still getting a lot of strange logon and logoffs. Can anyone give me guidance of how to figure out what is causing this and possibly how to fix it? Thanks! Jake Here is an example of a logon event: An account was successfully logged on. Subject: Security ID: NULL SID Account Name: - Account Domain: - ...

XL2007
I have a spreadsheet that uses the following sequence to scale the y axis of an X-Y scatter graph with lines drawn between points from VBA and it works perfectly in all previous versions of Excel. It fails with XL2007 rather catastrophically. The main spreadsheet was imported from XL2003. I have looked in the KB and archives here and not found any other reports of this problem so I don't know if it is something peculiar about this particular installation or what. It is reproducible in a toy chart in pure XL2007. The failing lines are; ActiveChart.Axes(xlSecondary).Select ok = Applicati...

Should be an easy question -about Exmerge
I'm trying to move a .pst into a mailbox using Exmerge. I'm running it in batch mode, and I get the same error every time; cannot create entryID, error accessing directory object, etc.. I think this is because the syntax after the comma in my mailbox.txt file is wrong, can you see anything wrong with this; \\c:\temp\JustinCredible.pst,/o=mt.pt.dr.com/ou=administrative/ou=users/cn=JustinCredible The correct syntax is: /O=FIRST ORGANIZATION/OU=FIRST ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=DANIEL The domain name in our environment is mt.pt.dr.com Email address for this mailbox is ...

Hide part of axis
I'm creating a line chart with data that is mostly similar (values are around 10,000 each) but then one line of my data is huge (around 14,000,000). What I'd like to do is have all of this data on the same chart, but when I do that, it makes all the 10,000ish data extremely small and close together at the bottom in order to make room on the chart for the 14,000,000 item on the x-axis. Is there a way to make the axis skip from around 20,000 to 13,900,000 for example (an area that would be blank on the chart as it is now), to be able to show detail for all lines? http://peltier...

A simple Stuiped Question
I'm trying to install a CommandButton on one of my spread sheets. I formatting the CommandButton I do most everything like change the colors, Text, Fonts, and Size. but I have not found where to install where the CommandButton is to go to, like cell number. I know it seems to be a foolish question, that I am ashamed to asking, but help please Charlie Using Windows 7, Excel 2003 Right-click on the button and select Properties. Top and Left will give you the position on the screen. Turn on the macro recorder while creating a button from the Control Toolbox to get placement code. Gord...

Exchange 5.5 Relay Question
All- I'm planning on implementing a mail relay gateway for Spam/AV reasons. It will be with W2K/IIS/SMTP Relay. My question is where/how do I set Exchange 5.5 to relay all outbound mail to the relay gateway server? Is this the correct way to do this? Also, is the easiest way to implement is giving my new mail gateway the same external address as my current email server for DNS reasons and setting the relay for incoming mail to the 5.5 box and setting outbound mail back to the gateway box? Thanks in advance for any answers! Darius Hi Darius, Yes, leave your DNS as is, and chan...

Can you change the color of only one axis line?
Is it possible to change the color of just one axis line on a chart? It would be nice because then we could mark in red which would allow us to see target values we are shooting for and then see how the actual results measure up. Hi, You can not colour an individual gridline. But here are some examples of how to add a datum line to your chart. http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/straight_lines/index.html http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_horizontal_line.htm Cheers Andy Jim Moberg wrote:...

"Send To" question
Using WindowsXP explorer, select a file, right click -> Send To -> Mail Recipient. Outlook launches new mail message with attachment & a default message: The message is ready to be sent with the following file or link attachments: <attached filename> Note: To protect against computer viruses, e-mail programs may prevent sending or receiving certain types of file attachments. Check your e-mail security settings to determine how attachments are handled. How to remove or change this message? Searched all of C:\ for text string �Note: To protect against comput...

RMS User Question/Problem
Hello, I Downloaded and installed Microsoft Dynamics RMS, but when I first run it (for the first time) it asks me user ID and password, but have not yet established one, and is the first time I run the program! (Or is it comes with some standard user / default?) User ID: 1 Password: password Robert Armstrong RMS Systems Inc. "F.Misle" <F.Misle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B29A28E5-315C-4A1A-9490-A497651736A0@microsoft.com... > Hello, > I Downloaded and installed Microsoft Dynamics RMS, but when I first run it > (for the first...

Has the "Page X of Y" bug been fixed in Word 2007?
I used to have a problem with the Page X of Y bug in 2003, but I haven't noticed it yet in the couple of months I've been using Word 2007. Did they actually fix something in 2007? Jerry ...

IF AND question
Hi there, I need a function that can provide one of three answers: 1 2 1 1... 3 3 4 4... ? ? ? ?... If A1 = 1 and A2=3, answer 106; but if A1=1 and A2 = 4, answer 104; but if A1=2, regardless of A2, answer 95. The next function for column B is the same, except the answer is dependent on the value delivered from the column A function. E.g. A3 + 6 or A3 +4 or A3-5 etc. Any help would be most appreciated. -- ***** Many thanks Gamq Use the below formula for your first query. =IF(A1="","",IF(A1=2,95,IF(AND(A1=1,A2=3),106,IF(AND(A1=1,A2=4),104)))) ...

IE8 privacy question
I am running XP-Pro SP3 and considering upgrading from IE7 to IE8. I have read all the feature and benefit articles from MS, but have one question that remains unanswered. In IE8 there is mention of being able to restore previously viewed websites or something to that effect. I think this is on a drop down menu somewhere. 1) Does In-private viewing prevent this? 2) Does manually deleting your complete browsing history clear this? 3) Is there a registry entry that can prevent this action? 4) Is there a group policy change that can prevent this action? In essence for privacy pur...

Question about Paste Special
Hi, I have a problem sometimes with the paste special options when goin from one excel workbook to another. For example, sometimes when I cop data from one workbook and then paste special into another, I get th options that include: All, formulas, values, formats, has the option t transpose the data and paste link among other options. And the sometimes I try and paste data to another workbook and I end up th paste special options: Bitmap Image Object, picture, bitmap, and I als lose the ability to paste link. Well you can do it, but it puts it i as an object. What I want is the first past...

Secondary axis #7
I have a stacked bar chart with cases sold on the right axis, and the week ending on the y axis. I need to create an additional x axis on the right side with the avg price numbers. How do I do this? Let's get the names right first. The vertical axis (up and down) is the Y axis, while the horizontal axis (left to right) is the X axis. I think you want a secondary Y axis. Double click the second data series on the chart to open the Format Data Series dialog, open the Axis tab and select Secondary y-axis. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from emai...

Is it possible to have multiple verticle axis with different scales?
Hi, I'm doing a line graph and would like to show two series of data on the one graph. My problem is that the two data series are at very different scales... one is percentage and the other is quantity sold. Is it possible to have a graph with two axes, one for each data series? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 04:52:19 GMT, tanastasi@ingram.com.au (Tino) wrote: >Hi, > >I'm doing a line graph and would like to show two series of data on >the one graph. > >My problem is that the two data series are at very different scales... >o...