Unusual Chart Type?

I am running Excel2000.  I wish to create a chart that does not seem t
be supported in Excel.  The data consists of a table of dates an
�states� (let�s call them A, B, C, D and E).  One column is dates an
the next is states.  Dates will be in order.  A given date could hav
any state.  So the first col might be {03-Apr,  04-Apr, 05-Apr, 06-Apr
07-Apr, 08-Apr, �} while the second might be {A,B,D,B,B,E, �}.  I wis
to plot this data with the state on the Y axis and the date on the
axis.  I need an X-Y plot, not cols or bars.  This is easy if th
states are numbers.  But I cannot find a way to do this if the state
are alpha.  Alternatively, I could plot the data using numbers fo
states, eg., 1=A, 2=B, etc) and then change the Y axis labels � if
knew how to do that.  Ultimately I wish to do this under VBA control.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank

Follow your instincts, and use numbers for states, {1,2,3,4,5} for
{A,B,C,D,E}. Make your chart. Then use the technique on this page to put
the labels where you want them:

   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Y_CategoryAxis.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

MWE < wrote:

> I am running Excel2000.  I wish to create a chart that does not seem to
> be supported in Excel.  The data consists of a table of dates and
> �states� (let�s call them A, B, C, D and E).  One column is dates and
> the next is states.  Dates will be in order.  A given date could have
> any state.  So the first col might be {03-Apr,  04-Apr, 05-Apr, 06-Apr,
> 07-Apr, 08-Apr, �} while the second might be {A,B,D,B,B,E, �}.  I wish
> to plot this data with the state on the Y axis and the date on the X
> axis.  I need an X-Y plot, not cols or bars.  This is easy if the
> states are numbers.  But I cannot find a way to do this if the states
> are alpha.  Alternatively, I could plot the data using numbers for
> states, eg., 1=A, 2=B, etc) and then change the Y axis labels � if I
> knew how to do that.  Ultimately I wish to do this under VBA control.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks
>

> ---

DOjonNOT (619)
5/5/2004 1:31:46 PM
See the response to the same question in the same newsgroup.

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <MWE.15qj36@excelforum-nospam.com>, MWE <<MWE.15qj36
@excelforum-nospam.com>> says...
> I am running Excel2000.  I wish to create a chart that does not seem to
> be supported in Excel.  The data consists of a table of dates and
> =3Fstates=3F (let=3Fs call them A, B, C, D and E).  One column is dates and
> the next is states.  Dates will be in order.  A given date could have
> any state.  So the first col might be {03-Apr,  04-Apr, 05-Apr, 06-Apr,
> 07-Apr, 08-Apr, =3F} while the second might be {A,B,D,B,B,E, =3F}.  I wish
> to plot this data with the state on the Y axis and the date on the X
> axis.  I need an X-Y plot, not cols or bars.  This is easy if the
> states are numbers.  But I cannot find a way to do this if the states
> are alpha.  Alternatively, I could plot the data using numbers for
> states, eg., 1=A, 2=B, etc) and then change the Y axis labels =3F if I
> knew how to do that.  Ultimately I wish to do this under VBA control.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks
>

> ---

Charting with Difference indicator
Good morning all. Not quite sure how / if this one can be done. I have a series of charts that I use, that change when I add a new week (charting using the Offset function on Count/Counta) and my manager has asked me if it's possible to do this. When a number goes up, have it with an Up Arrow, and the number it went up. When it goes down, have it with a Down Arrow, and the number it went down. Eg. ----UP12----DOWN14----UP3----UP5 Is there a way to make this display on the chart? I can get the actual numbers displaying (eg 145, 157, 143, 146, 151) but not sure how I could get the actu...

link colors to descriptions in bar charts
Is it posible to link a description in a data series represent a color in a bar chart. For expamle making the lollipops green and the bubblegum blue in the following data. Lollipops 8 07/05/14 bubblegum 2 07/05/14 Lollipops 4 07/05/15 bubblegum 12 07/05/15 Lollipops 2 07/05/16 bubblegum 6 07/05/16 You could plot them as separate series: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html or adapt the last VBA procedure on this page: http://pubs.logicalexpressions...

hiding cells with a certian type of formatting #2
How do I hide cells that has not been formatted in a row or colum that I applied a formatting condition to? ...

Charts disappear?
Anybody know where my charts went? I made a bunch of charts (probably over 100) in several worksheets in a workbook. Now all of a sudden most of them are invisible, and apparently corrupted somehow. Clicking in the cell in which they were last seen reveals the 4 corner handles, and I can open the chart properties dialog box. Also, when I select source data, the cell range containing the data once charted is listed in the data range tab, but not in the series tab. Any ideas? Thanks Dan Check Tools | Options... | View tab | Objects section. Make sure that 'Show all' is selected. ...

dot plot chart+chart wizard
Can one make a dot plot chart using chart wizard. This chart will have 40 data points. The Y axis will be split in the middle with the upper half being "+" and the lower half being "-". The median line on Y will be "0". The graph will demostrate the differences from one number compared to a second number. Thanks If you mean a dot plot as described in this page and the links it contains: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DotPlot.html then no, you can't make a dot plot directly from the chart wizard, but the page above includes a link to a utility...

Combination Charts
I am trying to create a stacked bar-line chart. I have figured out how to create a bar-line chart but I want to change it to a stacked bar. I am trying to show how two columns(bars) add up compared to the third (Line). Budget A + Budget B compares to Total Budget (line) make a stacked bar chart with all three items select the total buget bar and con convert to second axis then selecting the totla budget section select new chart type as line. then play with the formating to get it to show what you want it to. "Phyllis" wrote: > I am trying to create a stacked bar-line chart...

Chart Background color
I can change the default colors for fills and lines in excel charts. This is done by going through Tools:Options:Color. If you want to make the colors default in all new workbooks, you simply save the template in the XLStart folder, under Office11. I want to change the default background color of charts in a similar way. How do I do that How do I change the default font color, the default line weight, and the default axis color Birgi You could create your own custom chart type. Jon Peltier has instructions in his Chart Types article: http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArt...

Excel charts
how can I keep the chart when I am printing it out it just gives me the names i printed in and does not leave the lines ...

Representing symbols in charts
I am trying to plot 2 series in a bar chart. Each observation can have a numeric value of 0 to Infinity. The problem with this is that there is no way I can represent 'Infinity' in the chart. I'd like to show a symbol whenever there is an infinity, is there a way to out a symbol (eg. an infinity symbol), other than by manually cutting and pasting it? Can someone help me out? Jon Peltier has an example of how to do this on his site: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/CustomSeriesFormatting.html "Symbols in Charts" <Symbols in Charts@discussions.micros...

Unusual occurance of this error
We're getting this error, but it is not due to the usual reasons that I can find in the KB, or the newsgroups. I've narrowed it down to imported items from the old Exchange Server. It's mainly calendar appointments, but there are too many of them that re-creating them is not an easy task. If you create a new calendar item and invite attendees, there are no problems. But editing old items and resending generates this error: Subject: Undeliverable: Canceled: E-Menu Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: Canceled: E-Menu Se...

save chart as template
I'm trying to save a chart into the chart templates. I've clicked on "Save as Template" but when I go to insert into another document, it won't let me insert it. I have to click on Manage Templates and then click on the template that I saved but when it opens, there is nothing there! Help!! ...

Column chart
I have a column chart. the value of one colulmn is 800 and other is 1000 units. I want to show 2 columns between the space of column A (800) and column B (1000) showing the growth of 100 units + 100 units (constituting 200 units difference between 800 and 1000). How can I do this in excel? ...

chart frustrations
Good morning all. I'm trying to help my wife make a chart for a class she's taking, and it appears that it's been far too long since I did one. I'm using Excel 2007. I have a 3 point data set. There is a time element-- I want that set along the bottom, across the horizontal. There is a compound concentration element-- I want the concentration values in the vertical, at left. Then, my graph lines, should be the concetrations per time measure. Presently, my data on my excel sheet is organized as follows. Time 0 5 10 15 20 Conc.'s sample1 ...

Cumulative chart
Been searching for almost 30 minutes now. Ho0w do I create a cumulative chart? What I want to make is a chart that shows how people score points in time. It has to do with the upcoming EC soccer. A player can get 0,1 or 3 points depending on how well they've predicted the games. I want to create a graph where one can follow the cumulative score in time. Example game 1 gave 1 point, game 2: 3, game 3: 0, game 4: 3. So I want to see the graph go to 1, 4,4, 7 points. I could make a row where I calculate all the cumulative scores...but is there a quicker way to do what I want? Hope I ex...

Gant chart & levelling gant
Hi, What is the difference between Gant chart and levelling gant? what are the applications of levelling gant? Thanks! The Leveling Gantt graphically depicts the result of the leveling equations. Doubleclick on the Leveling Gantt Chart bar area and you'll see graphical elements that display what the schedule looks like both before and after the leveling process. Those graphical elements can be added to the Gantt Chart, but are not there by default. You'll also note that the Leveling Gantt has a different table applied by default - which shows the Leveling Dela...

Macro for chart title
I need a macro to link a chart title to a cell or range Hi, Macro recorder is good for things like this, assuming not xl2007. You can only link to 1 cell. If you have multiple cells you will need to concatenate them in a single cell and link to that. ' linked to A1 ActiveChart.ChartTitle.Text ="=Sheet1!R1C1" Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "T-Man" <T-Man@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6BA089DA-8FA5-4802-A71A-6E1318D158BC@microsoft.com... >I need a macro to link a chart title to a cell or range ...

RM Distribution
Can I add a custom type when using with eConnect for GP9.0 version? I don't see distribution type = 25 (UNIT) under this new version. Anyone knows how to do this? Thanks. -Jay Shah49@hotmail.com I'm not so familiar with eConnect to be able to answer this question specifically. However in Dynamics you can't add your own custom distribution types and since eConnect follows GP then eConnect shouldn't allow it either. For "custom" distributions, they should be set to OTHER so that Dynamics doesn't try to validate them against anything other than making sure...

Stacked Chart #5
Hi, I am wanting to produce a q-o-q analysis with stacked charts but I cant seem to get them to line up properly. Q1 Q1 Q2 Q2 A 4 3 4 5 B 3 2 4 2 C 2 1 3 1 So using the numbers above as an eg, I want one stacked Q1 graph for 'A' using the two Q1 figures and one stacked Q2 graph for 'A'. Ideally the Q1 and Q2 stacked bars would be side by side, then a gap and the same thing for B, C etc. Can anyone help??? Hi, Rearrange your data to look like this A B C Q1 Q2 Q1 Q2 Q1 Q2 Oranges 3 5 2 2 1 1 Apples 4 4 3 4 2 ...

Creating new record types in CRM 3.0 possible?
Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to create a new record type within CRM 3.0 because although the default CRM record types will be used (like client and business) our current database has all of the information for both in the same database. The idea is to create a 'temp' record type for us to add the database to, and then allow us to go through the database and move/link the information from the 'temp' record type into the correct record type afterwards. Is this at all possible or is there another simple solution to this problem? Thanks Hez Sorry if this question has ...

Dynamic Chart
Is it possible to create chart whose source-data changes as a change the value of cell. My specific problem is this: I need a quick way to update the horizon of many graphs. For example ,say you are interested in seeing the evolution of a variable up to time 't' and then you need the same graph up to 't+20'. Is there a way to do this? Thanks for any help in advance. Sincerely, Mariano Kulish Department of Economics Boston College kulish@bc.edu Jon Peltier has some instructions for dynamic charts on his web site: http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/Dynam...

auto format chart colours
Is it possible to have a bar chart where all values greater than 100 are automatically coloured red, less than 100 are coloured green? thanks Yes, have a look at Jon's examples of conditional charts. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html Cheers Andy bobf wrote: > Is it possible to have a bar chart where all values > greater than 100 are automatically coloured red, less than > 100 are coloured green? > > thanks -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Typed Data Set and relations
I've a fairly complex schema which I'm trying to create a typed data set for. I've had a number of issues to date but it is sort of working (e.g. elements are not considered nullable unless minOccurs="0" is present. If not the codegen:nullValue attribute is ignored). What I'm seeing at the moment is that if I do NOT add in key and key ref relations, the cs generated puts in sensibly named relations with appropriate accessors. But they don't work. If I put in explicit key refs I get pairs of relations defined for each 'real' relation. The ones added c...

Unusual Security Audits
be happening. At one point there was 350 audits in 1 second, the same 4 events repeated, special logon, logon, Kerberos Service Ticket Operations, Logoff. I disabled IPv6 and found things are running a little better, but I'm still getting a lot of strange logon and logoffs. Can anyone give me guidance of how to figure out what is causing this and possibly how to fix it? Thanks! Jake Here is an example of a logon event: An account was successfully logged on. Subject: Security ID: NULL SID Account Name: - Account Domain: - ...

Prevent auto recoloring of chart when using Pivot Table data
I have crated a Pivot tabel with data I want to show in a Chart. My problem is when I refresh data the colours of the "data series" changes. For exaple I want one of my series "OK" always be shown in green colour, but after a refresh of pivot all colours changes. This problem is not only colouring. If I have made changes to my chart so that one series ar plotted on a secondary axis, and I change it to another chart type (e.g. the secondary should be shown as a line instead of column) this also changes when refreshing the data. Most irritating! Anyone that knows how to p...