Unstacking a series of data on a 3-D chart

I want to stack two series of data in one column and show a third series on
the column next to it on a 3-D chart.  How do I unstack the third series of
data?
0
ldsun (1)

Try to stagger your data before you build the chart, so where the first
two series are stacked, there's no value of the third series, and where
there is a third series column, the first two have no values:

Series 1    Series 2    Series 3
  value       value
                          value
  value       value
                          value
  value       value
                          value

Make sure your series are plotted by column.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

ldsun wrote:

> I want to stack two series of data in one column and show a third series on
> the column next to it on a 3-D chart.  How do I unstack the third series of
> data?
Jon, I saw this post, tried the technique and I can confirm that it works but
what would I do for X category labels if, for example, series 1 and 2
referred to 2003 and 2004 respectively and staggered series 3 also referred
to 2004?

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Try to stagger your data before you build the chart, so where the first
> two series are stacked, there's no value of the third series, and where
> there is a third series column, the first two have no values:
>
> Series 1    Series 2    Series 3
>   value       value
>                           value
>   value       value
>                           value
>   value       value
>                           value
>
> Make sure your series are plotted by column.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>
> ldsun wrote:
>
> > I want to stack two series of data in one column and show a third series on
> > the column next to it on a 3-D chart.  How do I unstack the third series of
> > data?

0
KG (96)
3/13/2005 12:43:04 AM
"Referred to" means category labels? Do you need to stagger series 2 & 3
on the same row? I'm not sure what you're asking.

- Jon
-------

KG wrote:

> Jon, I saw this post, tried the technique and I can confirm that it works but
> what would I do for X category labels if, for example, series 1 and 2
> referred to 2003 and 2004 respectively and staggered series 3 also referred
> to 2004?
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>

>>Try to stagger your data before you build the chart, so where the first
>>two series are stacked, there's no value of the third series, and where
>>there is a third series column, the first two have no values:
>>
>>Series 1    Series 2    Series 3
>>  value       value
>>                          value
>>  value       value
>>                          value
>>  value       value
>>                          value
>>
>>Make sure your series are plotted by column.
>>
>>- Jon
>>-------
>>Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>>Peltier Technical Services
>>Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>>http://PeltierTech.com/
>>_______
>>
>>ldsun wrote:
>>

>>>I want to stack two series of data in one column and show a third series on
>>>the column next to it on a 3-D chart.  How do I unstack the third series of
>>>data?

Combination of typos and poor choice of words! Furthermore I may be following
the wrong lead by focusing on this specific thread. In order to keep things
clean, I shall experiment a little further with my own specific challenge
and, if I still need help, I shall post a separate request. I visit your
website regularly and I will certainly look there for applicable techniques
before I post. Thanks!

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> "Referred to" means category labels? Do you need to stagger series 2 & 3
> on the same row? I'm not sure what you're asking.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>
> KG wrote:
>
> > Jon, I saw this post, tried the technique and I can confirm that it works but
> > what would I do for X category labels if, for example, series 1 and 2
> > referred to 2003 and 2004 respectively and staggered series 3 also referred
> > to 2004?
> >
> > "Jon Peltier" wrote:
> >

> >>Try to stagger your data before you build the chart, so where the first
> >>two series are stacked, there's no value of the third series, and where
> >>there is a third series column, the first two have no values:
> >>
> >>Series 1    Series 2    Series 3
> >>  value       value
> >>                          value
> >>  value       value
> >>                          value
> >>  value       value
> >>                          value
> >>
> >>Make sure your series are plotted by column.
> >>
> >>- Jon
> >>-------
> >>Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> >>Peltier Technical Services
> >>Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> >>http://PeltierTech.com/
> >>_______

0
KG (96)

Help in Developing a Multi-Level Gross Margin Chart
Gross Margin (GM) is a component of two primary variables, Revenue and Cost (COGS). I wish to plot a Line chart with months at the bottom (X-axis) and GM $'s or % on the Y-axis and at the same time reflect changes in both Revenue and COGS per the value of GM per that month. This way one I can plot another Line chart with historical GM (Rev & COGS) and show both components within one data point. Is this possible? ...

fill series
I am using Excel 2002. I cannot get Excel to fill in a series based on lower case or upper case letters. I want to fill in a series of cells with a, b, c, ...zz. Upper or lower case would be fine. I figure this would be a very basic thing for excel to do. I have tried starting with the first two letters (a,b) up to filling in the entire alphabet (a to z). When I try to fill the series using right click, the only options that show up are Copy Cells, Fill Formating Only, Fill Without Formatiing. Is there an option that I need to turn on or off. Anybody know how to force excel to fill in ...

importing e mail data into calender
how do i set e mail to auto import all calender appointment request e mails directly into my calender?? -- sg Microsoft sez: "Soon after a meeting request arrives in your Inbox, a piece of Outlook code — nicknamed the "sniffer" — automatically adds the meeting to your calendar and marks it as tentative. This is a fail-safe to keep you from missing the meeting in case you don't see the request in your Inbox. However, the sniffer doesn't reply to the meeting organizer. You still need to do that by accepting, accepting as tentative, or declining the re...

Parsing inconsistent data
I'm using Access 2000. I have a names field that has inconsistent data in it. Sometimes it only has a FirstName and a LastName, and sometimes it also has a middle initial with or without a period after it: FirstName MI LastName. I'm currently parsing the field into FirstName and LastName by taking the first name from the left, and the last name from the right. FirstName: Trim(Left([CustomerName],InStr([CustomerName]," "))) LastName: Trim(Mid([CustomerName],InStrRev([CustomerName]," ")+1)) I'd like to know how I can parse out the middle initial, or the middle...

Cannot locate recurrence information. #3
I have a workstation that, after launching Outlook 2003 and updating the mail folders, displays the following message: "There was a problem reading one or more of your reminders. Some reminders may not appear. Cannot locate recurrence information for this appointment." I have tried running Outlook from the command line using the /cleanreminders switch. This does change the response for that one instance of running the program in that the error appears and so does a list of reminders. I have tried deleting those reminders or moving them into the future but, even with no r...

Resorting Data- Help!!
Hello!! Hope you can help! I am working on this large restaurant spreadsheet (with name, phone number, hours, type of food, ect), and each time after I was done working on it I would save it alphabetically. Now I have 1059 different restaurants. When I would sort alphabetically I would highlight the whole spreadsheet and push the A-Z button, not knowing that each column would sort indiviually. Now none of my restaurants have the correct information (none of the rows match up). So, I was wondering if there is a way I can go back and resort the information back into the order that I ente...

Stacking and Clustering in Charts
Is there any way to utilize the stacking and clustering features in Excel charting simultaneously? Thank you. Cyndi No not really. If you have a Picture editing program you might try the following. I used Paint Shop Pro to edit two charts. 1. Create two charts of the same data in excel. 2. Resize both charts. 3. Remove the background on at least on of the charts ( the one to go at the front) 4. copy both charts in to the picture editor. Set the width to 300 and the height to 100 pixels 5 copy the chart with the plain plot area into a new layer on the other chart. 6 right click the to...

Entry data sheet automaticlly updates or adds data to differant sh
I have a workbook with several sheets these sheets are all the same eccept for the title. Colunms are Name, heat one, heat two, heat three, total. then I have a sheet that the colunms are Name, total How can I make the last sheet with the Name, and total more automatated. I would like for the Name colunm to be a dropdown of some sort to where it looks at all the other sheets for names when you see the name you want you click it. it then fills in the field with that name and puts the total from the sheet where the name came from in the total field. I could provide the xls file if ...

adding email accounts #3
How do I add other e-mail accounts to Office word 2007? To add email accounts to Outlook 2007, go into Tools, Account Settings and click New Patrick Schmid -------------- http://pschmid.net "Red4Con1" <Red4Con1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DE62EEFE-3DC4-4E11-8935-AC724AB2DFD3@microsoft.com: > How do I add other e-mail accounts to Office word 2007? You don't add email accounts to Office Word 2007. It is a word processor, not an email program. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All...

Runnign MS CRM 3.0 Workflow services in a Cluster
Hi We are having 2 CRM Web server in a Cluster, pointing to single DB server. These servers are NLB. Currently we are running Workflow services only from one server. We wanted to run this service from both CRM web servers. Is there any known Issues with running workflow service from multiple servers. As I understand every workflow instance is tied up with CRM web server from where it is gets triggered and such workflow instance can only be executed from that web server. Any information in this case is appreciated Thanks Mak ...

Making a drop down control to choose a data series
Hi charting folks. I have a chart that has six data series plotted onto it. There are two sets of three "tests" that get their data plotted One in the morning and one in the evening. Right now, the chart is a bit cluttered with all six plots on it. They are, however, useful for an overall view. What I would like to do is create a drop down control that has three selections. Morning, Evening, and All. The All is obvious, and the Morning would select three columns of data, and the evening would select the other three. If I were to name the two sets of data using a ...

extracting numbers from data
Hi, Is there a way to extract the numbers, remove them and place them in an adjacent column from the cells in the example below? The LEFT function does not do the entire trick, since the amount of numbers differs per cell and I still need to delete the number in the original cell. 1bla 1.1blabla 1.1.1blablabla 1.1.1.1blablablabla Thanks ...

linking data automaticly
I need some helpto figure this out. Here is my situation. We create a new workbook for each job we get. In each workbook we enter a Job# Detail# and a Due Date. I would like to take that information and enter it into a another workbook. I would like to somehow automate this. So when we get a new job, type in the info it will automaticly fill in the other form. Also if there is away to delete info after a certian date. Any info about this would be great. I am new to excel and need as much assistance as possible. If you would like to email your response please do so. Thanks in advanced!!...

Changing data orientation from one sheet to another #2
Hi, I have a report submitted which looks like a pivot table format and would like to change it to another orientation in another worksheet. Is there a faster way to do that? Original format:- Customer Country1 Name Data Aug-07 Sep-07 Oct-07 Cust A Malaysia Apple Sales 7,253 2,115 Cust A Malaysia Apple Volume 480 140 Cust A Malaysia Apple SASP 15.110 15.110 Cust A Malaysia Orange Sales 3,050 10,750 11,150 Cust A Malaysia Orange Volume 15,250 53,750 55,750 Cust A Malaysia Orange SASP 0.200 0.200 0.200 Cust B US Pear Sales 2,369 Cust B US Pear Volume 360 Cust ...

Unstacking a series of data on a 3-D chart
I want to stack two series of data in one column and show a third series on the column next to it on a 3-D chart. How do I unstack the third series of data? Try to stagger your data before you build the chart, so where the first two series are stacked, there's no value of the third series, and where there is a third series column, the first two have no values: Series 1 Series 2 Series 3 value value value value value value value value value Make sure your series are plotted by...

Sender receives 5.2.3 even after checking all size limits
Exchange 2003 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 SP1. I have checked everything in KB 322679: Global settings; connector settings; SMTP virtual server settings; mailbox settings but a sender outside the organization still keeps getting a message back from the Exchange server with error 5.2.3 with text "This message is larger than the current system limit or the recipient's mailbox is full. Create a shorter message body or remove attachments and try sending it again.". What else do I need to check? Kevin Kevin, What is the size of the message send by that outsider? and what is the...

recall data from tbl1 & tbl2 on frm2
Respected Masters, (Access), I am a novoice in Access trying to learn the tpic , i have run to the wall with this, i have a problem, i want a few details entered in a form1 (tbl1) to appear in the form2 (that contains full detils from tbl2 and few details from tbl1) similarly ON FORM 3 i want full details from table 3 and again the same few detials from tbl1.... for ex. tbl1 = tbl1ID,1,2,3,4,5 tbl2= tbl2ID,1,,6,7,8,9,10. tbl3= tbl3id,1,11,12,13,14,15. frm1= 1,2,3,4,5,, +button that opens frm2 with 1,2,3,,6,7,8,9,10. second button that opens form3 with 1,2,3,4,5,11,12,13,14,15... like wise fo...

Lost data on import
Excel 2002 New web query downloads the string "<10E6/L" OK but on import creates a blank cell. However the string "<10E6\L" imports OK. I've tried adjusting properties and formatting options without success. The following web query url demonstrates the situation: http://www.rcpaqap.com.au/micro/dataentry/testquery.cfm Any ideas on the cause and solution would be appreciated. Alban I saved a webpage in Excel from your data (Cut and paste) and have saved it here. It appears to work for me http://www.zen34775.zen.co.uk/Book1.htm (Link will be removed sho...

Excel as a database #3
is there any possibility that i used to print a invoice through excel for my product sale. is there any way excel can generate monthly sales book as a database. Please show me any path Thanks in advance. Rao Ratan Singh Rao, Consider Access for this project. To do this properly, you'll likely need a table for your products (your inventory or product line), one for your invoices, one for the items in your invoices, and if you're keeping customer information, one for your customers. Excel is terrific, but a lot of darn work to implement related tables, move records around, ...

restrict data in combo box
I have a combo box that lists returns. The returns can be open or closed. I want the user to be able to restrict the data in the combo box if they check the [ckOpen] check box. I've tried several ways but none of them work. Any help would be appreciated. Combo box query: SELECT tReturns.MerchandiseReturnNo, tReturns.VendorName, tReturns.VendorID, tReturns.Description, tReturns.ReturnDate, tReturns.COGAccountNo, tReturns.ReturnAmount, tReturns.Status, tReturns.CompanyID, tReturns.MerchandiseReturnNo, IIf([Forms]! [fReturns]![ckOpen]=True,[Status]="Open","*") AS ReturnOp...

trace order of data entry
I have 2 columns. in column A I will enter a name. in column b I will enter a number from 1 to 10. The names are not entered in the order 1 to 10 but randomly. Example I can enter number 5 then 2 then 9 then 1 and so on. How can I track the order in whick I names are entered. Can I do this on a different column rather than tracking changes. -- Radha Copy the code below and put it into the worksheet's code module. To do that, right-click on the worksheet's name tab and choose [View Code] from the popup list that appears. Then copy the code below and paste it into the module. ...

of Named Ranges, Dynamic Charts and scroll bars...
I can create a dynamic range chart and a scrolling chart using a scroll bar. However, I'm stuck on the the definition of the maximum range in the scroll bar control box, which accepts numbers only, not COUNTA... In learing how to do those, I relied on a few great pages by our resident MVPs: http://www.andypope.info/charts.htm http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=518 http://www.ozgrid.com/Services/ExcelChartTools.htm http://www.cpearson.com/excel/lookups.htm but I was not able to blend the two tricks together.. Any tips and leads would be appreciated. z.entr...

how to create chart with five data variables
I need to create a chart off of a spreadsheet with five variables I have to show: Room Fiscal Year (2003, 2004, 2005, 2006) Business Hour usage After-Hours usage Quantity (number of times the room was used that year) Currently I have the data as Fiscal Year in rows by Business or After Hours (FY03 Business Hours, FY03 After Hours, FY04 BH, FY04AH, etc.) Rooms in columns, and Quantity as cell value. What I want to do is create a stacked column chart that shows has Room for the X-axis value, Quanity for the Y-axis, Fiscal Year on the Z-axis (so it would be a 3-dimensional chart) and stack the ...

transfering data using Ole
I am using Excel 2000 to generate spreadsheets that I then "cut & paste" to a CAD program. When I use my desktop computer that has Excel 2000, a portion of larger spreadsheets truncates. I have found that if I use Excel 2003 (on my laptop), I can "cut & paste" the entire worksheet into my CAD program without a problem. I have heard that this also works with Excel 2002. Because Excel 2000 and Excel 2003 spreadsheets are fully compatible, this is clearly a function of how data is handled by the two versions of Excel or the Ole interface. Is there an update or a w...

Outlook 2000 won't start #3
My Outlook has stopped working. It was working fine, and then all of a sudden, it will not come up. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and it still will not work. When I click on it, I get the the box that says Microsoft Outlook on the screen, but that is where it gets stuck and it never actually loads. This was installed with Office, and all of the other programs that were installed with Office work just fine. What can I do to get this to work? On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 15:00:01 -1000, Ole Lang Signs"" <Ole Lang <Signs@discussions.microsoft.com>> wrote: > My O...