Unlinked Chart Treats Time Axis As Value - Any Fix?

I have a series of charts in separate workbooks, all with a time
X-axis. For distribution, I copy just the charts - not the underlying
data - to a new workbook. All looks good until I come to open the new
workbook, when I find that the Y-axis has migrated from outside left
to inside right, and buggered up the alignment with a second chart on
the same sheet. When I look at the properties of the X-axis, I find
that it's no longer a time axis, but a value axis; and that, instead
of the Y-axis crossing at 8/1/2004, it now crosses at 27338 - even
though the X-axis is still formatted as a date.

I can't find any way to force Excel to treat the X-axis as a date, and
I can't figure a way to make my other charts put their Y-axis text
inside the chart on the left. If I could do either of these things, I
could make my two charts match up again. Any idea how to do this?

Ta

Robert Smith
0
ubik (13)

Consider copying the chart as an image.  With the chart selected, hold
down the SHIFT key and select Edit | Copy Picture...

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <21345d10.0502221220.7db99260@posting.google.com>,
ubik@shaw.ca says...
> I have a series of charts in separate workbooks, all with a time
> X-axis. For distribution, I copy just the charts - not the underlying
> data - to a new workbook. All looks good until I come to open the new
> workbook, when I find that the Y-axis has migrated from outside left
> to inside right, and buggered up the alignment with a second chart on
> the same sheet. When I look at the properties of the X-axis, I find
> that it's no longer a time axis, but a value axis; and that, instead
> of the Y-axis crossing at 8/1/2004, it now crosses at 27338 - even
> though the X-axis is still formatted as a date.
>
> I can't find any way to force Excel to treat the X-axis as a date, and
> I can't figure a way to make my other charts put their Y-axis text
> inside the chart on the left. If I could do either of these things, I
> could make my two charts match up again. Any idea how to do this?
>
> Ta
>
> Robert Smith

Not an option, I'm afraid. These charts are coming out of a macro, and
there are around 150 charts each day. Plus it loses the capability of
seeing exact values by mousing over the chart.

The best compromise I've come up with so far is to simply force the
axis to display inside the plot space on the right-hand side. This I
achieved by setting the category axis's .CrossesAt property to the
maximum value on that axis - don't ask me why it doesn't put the axis
on the OUTside of the plot area, but it doesn't.

Then, to get my second chart to match - they're vertically aligned, so
I don't want to waste space displaying a category axis - , I had to set
..HasAxis(xlCategory, xlPrimary) = True, then set .Axes(xlCategory,
xlPrimary).CrossesAt to the maximum value, then set
..HasAxis(xlCategory, xlPrimary) = False. Axis on, set value axis to far
right, axis off.

It doesn't explain why Excel feels it necessary to move my value axis
from left to right in the first place - o for a way to stop Excel
"thinking" for itself -, but it does give me a workable solution.

Tushar Mehta wrote:
> Consider copying the chart as an image.  With the chart selected,
hold
> down the SHIFT key and select Edit | Copy Picture...
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Tushar Mehta
> www.tushar-mehta.com
> Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials
> Custom MS Office productivity solutions
>
> In article <21345d10.0502221220.7db99260@posting.google.com>,
> ubik@shaw.ca says...
> > I have a series of charts in separate workbooks, all with a time
> > X-axis. For distribution, I copy just the charts - not the
underlying
> > data - to a new workbook. All looks good until I come to open the
new
> > workbook, when I find that the Y-axis has migrated from outside
left
> > to inside right, and buggered up the alignment with a second chart
on
> > the same sheet. When I look at the properties of the X-axis, I find
> > that it's no longer a time axis, but a value axis; and that,
instead
> > of the Y-axis crossing at 8/1/2004, it now crosses at 27338 - even
> > though the X-axis is still formatted as a date.
> >
> > I can't find any way to force Excel to treat the X-axis as a date,
and
> > I can't figure a way to make my other charts put their Y-axis text
> > inside the chart on the left. If I could do either of these things,
> > could make my two charts match up again. Any idea how to do this?
> >
> > Ta
> >
> > Robert Smith

0
ubik (13)

Creating Time Tracking only Projects in 2007
We have recently upgraded from project server '03 to '07. We have several "time tracking only" style projects. The time charged to these projects is considered "project time" NOT admin. There is no WBS just a single task for time tracking. In 2007, we are only using the "My Timesheets" functionality. In 2003, Microsoft recommended re-creating these types of projects every year to prevent the number of transactions against them becoming too high and the data getting corrupted. The questions is: In 2007, do we need to re-create these proje...

Charting continious data across sheets.
How do you chart data from three sheets within the smae work book on the same series on the same chart? it seems to want to create a new series unstead of charting year 1- 3on the one series. Thanks, See this from an earlier post by Jon http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartDataFromDifferentSheets.html -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Steve" <stevenparker.traveling@bigpond.com> wrote in message news:2d88c01c46a5d$afbae360$a501280a@phx.gbl... > > > How do you chart data from three sheets within the smae > work book on the same series...

legend on the chart
I would like to have legend on my pie chart. I can have label with the line on the chart. Can we just have the legen on the piece of the pie? Your information is great appreciated, Hi, In 2003 just click the Legend tool on the Chart toolbar or choose the command Chart, Chart Options, Legend and turn on the option. -- Cheers, Shane Devenshire "Souris" wrote: > I would like to have legend on my pie chart. > > I can have label with the line on the chart. > Can we just have the legen on the piece of the pie? > > > Your information is great appreciated,...

Changing position of shapes in chart
How do I change to position of shapes and add effects to the organization chart? thanks, Matt Excel 2007, change position with drag and drop, add effects by r-clicking on a shape in the chart, select format shape Matt S wrote: > How do I change to position of shapes and add effects to the organization > chart? thanks, Matt ...

SBS Default Web Site & Microsoft CRM Version 1.2 & Host Header Value
I have set up a test enviroment with SBS 2003 premium running MS CRM 1.2. I have a problem that both the default web site and the Microsoft CRM Version 1.2 web site have both been assigned the same 'Web site identification' in this case the server IP address 192.168.16.20. While the CompanyWeb has also been assigned the same 'Web site identification' it has had a host header value setup for it allowing it to be distinguished. My understanding it that there are three ways to distinguish web sites; 1. IP Address 2. TCP Port 3. Host Header Value The first two are not an op...

Multiple colours in line chart background
Is it possible to vary the colouring of a line chart background to indicate when values are inside a "risk zone"?? An example of this: Scientific values between 60 and 80 are potentially dangerous to clients...if the values exceed 80 they are definitely dangerous...how can I colour these areas in different colours to reinforce to clients that values exist within these ranges?? Sounds a bit like Star Trek doesn't it?? Yellow alert...Red alert... TIA Phillip Topping Hi Phillip, Take a look at Jon Peltier's example, you will need to modify it slightly to check ban...

Convert X-Axis Scale from Day/Month/Year Options to Actual Numbers
1) I have some charts where the X-Axis scale is calibrated by entering dates, and minor/major tick marks are in whole days/months/years. 2) I have similar charts where the X-Axis is calibrated using numbers that represent dates (i.e. 39287 for 7/24/07) and I can use numbers with multiple decimal places to set the major minor tick marks. How can I convert (1) to (2)? Chart (1) is difficult to use because the dates never line up as I want (with a specified beginning and ending date). Chart (2) does allow me to set a specified date at each end of the X-Axis. The first axis sounds like a...

Embedded Chart Grayed Out
I have a spreadsheet where I embedded a chart on one of the worksheets. I recently modified the worksheet (nothing in the chart or its associated data) and now the chart is grayed out unless I select the chart object. It prints grayed out, so it's not my video card. What happened and, more importantly, how can I fix this? TIA, Bill Hi, Check your setting, Tools > Options > View > Objects > Show All Cheers Andy Bill Allen wrote: > I have a spreadsheet where I embedded a chart on one of the worksheets. I > recently modified the worksheet (nothing in the chart...

VB routine to change display for time not working
I got some help from someone a while ago in order to make it easier to enter information in a spreadsheet. I wanted to make it so that if someone entered the digits corresponding to a time without the colon between the hh and mm values, the program would change the entry to the proper hh:mm format (i.e. someone enters "530", and when they tab out, the entry changes to "05:30". I've recently discovered a problem. Here is the VB routine that was suggested: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim tlen As Long, result As String If Target.Column < ...

Charting in EXCEL
I want to create a chart in EXCEL that, year by year, shows the range of a certain variable with four stacked bars for quartiles of a universe. I think I can figure out how to do this. On each of those annual bars, I would also like to show the relative position of two special extra data points. Probably they would be indicated by a diamond and a circle, or something like that. Though I know I could manually paste a diamond or circle onto each of these yearly automated stacked bars in nearly the correct position, that would be messy and a bit of work. And so I ask: Will EXCEL allow me to ...

Excel Export: Request timed out
When I try to export my CRM contacts to Excel with the built in function through Extended Search, I get the following error: System.Web.HttpException (0x80004005): Request timed out There are many customized fields, but I need them all to be exported. Yes, there is one filter set: state=active Which timeout-setting do I have to screw up? TIA Stefan Hi Stefan A hotfix is available which should solve this issue for you: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;890690 Cheers Dan "Stefan Rauchegger" wrote: > When I try to export my CRM contacts to Excel wi...

Internet Address for Bank Gets Overwritten Every Time Money loads
Every time I start Money 2005 Deluxe, it updates the Internet address for one of my credit card institutions. It must be pulling the address from some lookup table and overwriting the correct address that I have provided (by going into "Update advanced Web settings" from the Contact information screen and entering the correct address in all four fields). The account is United Mileage Plus Credit Card which used to be administered through Bank One, but recently changed hands to Chase. The correct address is: https://online.firstusa.com/ The incorrect address that Money keeps pr...

unlink a table without deleting it
I have a lot of queries that use a linked table. The need for this table to be linked is not necessary anymore. Is there a way to break the link without deleting the table? In the database from which you have linked to the table, the database window will show the linked table along with other tables, except it will have an arrow next to the name. Select the table and delete it. Access will ask you if you want to delete the link, and will state that you are not removing the table itself. To do that you would need to go to the database in which the table resides. "toolman"...

Unique, non-Excel looking charts?
Hi guys. I have a typical scatter plot, but I want to make it loo unique, like it wasn't made with Excel. Why? Because I've been doin this for years and I'm tired of the stock features, but I lack i creativity. I've changed the font and removed the background color. I any of you have ideas or suggestions, please let me know. Bu seriously, if you have links or files you could send to show, tha illustrate creative graphs made with Excel, I'd be so grateful Thanks, Mari -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi you may consider using a specific addin for this kind...

how do I create a cluster chart?
How do I create a stacked cluster chart in Excel? Jon Peltier's instructions should help you. http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/format.html#ClusterStack "JoanH" wrote: > How do I create a stacked cluster chart in Excel? JoanH, There can be several types of clustered charts in Excel. For example, you can have a clustered column which consists of a series of columns. Or, you can have a series of bars, which consists of horizonal bars. Finally, there are a number of combination charts that could be considered clustered. To create a simple clusted column cha...

open form multiple times
Hi, My project is in MS Access 2002. In that I want to open one form multiple times. I put one button on my main form. Now whenever I click on that button than form will be open. Now when I click again on that same button than it will open same form again in seperate window. But instead of that already open form comes.and so i couldn't open that form multiple times. Already open form must be remain as it is even if I click on that button to open the same form again. I want this, bcz I am using this form to enter some readings, taken at half hour time interval,in table.If I couldn't ope...

Odd chart type needed
I need a chart type that does not seem to be available in Excel 2007 or 2003. I'm graphing a gamma ray emission spectrum. The x-axis is photon energy. The y-axis is number of gamma rays per second The plot requires vertical LINES at the energy of each gamma ray. The height of the line is the number of gamma rays. The x position of each line is its energy. The chart COULD be a vertical bar chart with very narrow bars. But Excel won't allow bars that thin, and needs them equally spaced. Is there a way to create such a vertical line plot in Excel 2007 (or 2003)? On Apr 13, 12:30=A0pm,...

An additional charts package?
Hi, Are there 3rd party packages for making _really_ fancy charts in Excel? For example, I would like to have three or four graphs, one under another, have the same (date) x-axis: stock price, log(stock price), volume, correlation, and percentage change. And I also want to draw a vertical line through all four graphs for visual inspection. Thank you very much in advance! Aaron Fude If you post your question in the microsoft.public.excel.charting newsgroup, someone may be able to help. You can access the newsgroups through the Microsoft web site: http://www.microsoft.com/office/co...

visually rendering tabular data as a gantt chart #2
Hello, I have a table in MS Access with data that i'd like to programmatically translate into a gantt-chart-like rendering in Visio 2010. I presume I'll have to use Visio VBA to accomplish this but it would be my first foray into Visio automation so I'm trying to get an idea of just how much work it might take and any other helpful insights. My Access table would have the following fields: Month 1 Month 2 Name 1 Name 2 Number Comment I'd like to programmatically loop through this table and produce a gantt-chart-like rendering in Visio 2010. The Visio diagram would already h...

Check for Duplicate value BeforeUpdate
Hello all, I have a problem with updating on my form. I have a form, TrainingHistory, that is linked to a table by the same name. There are three fields showing: FullName, ClassName, and DateTaken. For each person, I am only interested in the MOST RECENT date they took any given class. So what I want is to be able to enter a name and class, and have Access check the table for this combination of name and class. If such an entry already does exist, I would like the form to bring up that entry, and that entry alone, for editing of the date. There should also be a message explaining what ju...

Custom chart gallery and range name conflicts
When I create a user-defined chart type, Excel seems to copy lots of range names to the file xlusrgal.xls. Is there a way to stop it doing this because it is triggering lots of problems. It creates a range name conflict when I try to create a new user-defined chart type, unless I run a macro like: Sub deletenames() For Each myname In ActiveWorkbook.Names myname.Delete Next myname End Sub in xlusrgal.xls Is there any way round this? I get this problem using Excel 97 and 2000 (I don't have XP or 2003). (let me know if this question should have been asked to microsoft.public.excel.progr...

Fixed Assets don't show on Balance Sheet
I am trying to setup a balance sheet for a new company. I have several companies setup already with no issues. When I setup this new company it will NOT show my fixed assets on the balance sheet even though I have setup this balance sheet exactly like the previous ones. Any suggestions? I am at a total loss on this. Melanie, Are you using AFA (Advanced Financial Analysis) or FRx for this? If AFA, makes sure your Fixed Assets accounts have the correct Account Category assoicated with them. Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com blog: www.gp2themax....

chart in excel like google finance chart
I've been playing around with google finance and am wondering if a chart like that can be implemented in excel. Some of the features I'm very interested in is the ability to be able to select a time window and chart the trend. I need to create a chart that is basically identical to the google and yahoo finance charts. Is this possible at all in excel or is this an impossible task and I should look elsewhere. If impossible what are some suggestions for accomplishing this? Thanks, Can you post back with the chart you have in mind? More than likely you can create the chart in Exc...

improved chart in Excel
Good day, I am looking for a way to create bar charts in Excel where the width of the bar can be varied according to a variable. For example the Y axis would show Exports Per Capita for a number of cvountries, the X axis would give the Population of each country shown. Thus the area of each bar (or column) would give total Exports. Any tips would be appreciated. Bonsour=C2=AE Dion avec ferveur ;o))) vous nous disiez :=20 > Good day, I am looking for a way to create bar charts in Excel where > the width of the bar can be varied according to a variable. >=20 > For example ...

ActiveX control
I have and application that was developed in Access 2000. The Date/Time Picker ActiveX control is on a form and works in Access 2000. Some users have new computers with Access 2003 installed When the application is opened using Access 2003, The control no longer displays the calender, it looks like a basic text box control. I've looked at the Access 2003 tool bar in the form design view and cannot find the Date/Time picker control. What can I do? Is there another control that is like the date/time picker for Access 2003? ****I know there are other functions and a calender contro...