Two points with same (X, Y) coordinates in Excel

Greetings, everyone. Is there any way to have Excel draw a circle around a
point on a scatterplot? I ask because I have two points with the same X and
Y values, which is causing one of the points to hide under another. Thank
you for your help.

Jay

Format/ Data Point for one of your 2 superimposed points, & choose an
appropriate symbol.
--
David Biddulph

"Jay" <someone@someplace.invalid> wrote in message
> Greetings, everyone. Is there any way to have Excel draw a circle around a
> point on a scatterplot? I ask because I have two points with the same X
> and Y values, which is causing one of the points to hide under another.
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Jay

0
david4578 (116)
10/19/2006 6:41:38 AM
Hi,

Take a look at Jon's brilliant site :

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ControlBubbleSizes.html

HTH
Cheers
Carim

0
carimfam (4)
10/19/2006 6:43:23 AM
Hi,

Another alternative is to plot a third series which has points for only
those that overlap. Format the markers to a circle with
Forecolor = Red
Backcolor = None

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Jay" <someone@someplace.invalid> wrote in message
> Greetings, everyone. Is there any way to have Excel draw a circle around a
> point on a scatterplot? I ask because I have two points with the same X
> and Y values, which is causing one of the points to hide under another.
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Jay

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
10/19/2006 1:31:53 PM
Thanks for your help. I'm sorry, but I don't have the option to change the
markers. under the format trendline dialog box, I do see the patterns tab.
however, there is no mention of any markers. in fact, I don't see anything
under the Type and Options tab either. this happens whether I right click by
the point or do to the Format menu. When I click the trendline and go to the
Format menu, I see only Selected Trendline and Sheet options. Is there
anything else to do?

"Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@stfx.TRUENORTH.ca> wrote in message
> You could format a single data point to have a large marker
> best wishes
>
> --
> Bernard V Liengme
> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
> remove caps from email
>
> "Jay" <someone@someplace.invalid> wrote in message
>> Greetings, everyone. Is there any way to have Excel draw a circle around
>> a point on a scatterplot? I ask because I have two points with the same X
>> and Y values, which is causing one of the points to hide under another.
>> Thank you for your help.
>>
>> Jay

Confused:

You said you had points but now you are talking about Trendlines?

Perhaps you could explain further.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
0
andy9699 (3616)
10/19/2006 3:14:45 PM
Andy,

There is a trendline drawn through the nine points of my scatterplot.

"Andy Pope" <andy@andypope.info> wrote in message
> Confused:
>
> You said you had points but now you are talking about Trendlines?
>
> Perhaps you could explain further.
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> Jay wrote:
>> Thanks for your help. I'm sorry, but I don't have the option to change
>> the markers. under the format trendline dialog box, I do see the patterns
>> tab. however, there is no mention of any markers. in fact, I don't see
>> anything under the Type and Options tab either. this happens whether I
>> right click by the point or do to the Format menu. When I click the
>> trendline and go to the Format menu, I see only Selected Trendline and
>> Sheet options. Is there anything else to do?

>> "Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@stfx.TRUENORTH.ca> wrote in message
>>
>>>You could format a single data point to have a large marker
>>>best wishes
>>>
>>>--
>>>Bernard V Liengme
>>>www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
>>>remove caps from email
>>>
>>>"Jay" <someone@someplace.invalid> wrote in message

> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info

Ok, but why are you selecting the trendline when it is those points you
need to format.
Use the UP/Down arrows to cycle through the chart elements. When the
points are selected use the left/right to move through each point in the
series.
When you get to the point use CTRL+1 to bring up the format dialog.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
0
andy9699 (3616)
10/19/2006 3:48:48 PM
Hi Jay,

One way to achieve this perhaps would be to add a second series for
duplicate points. The same format can be used as for the original series, but
using a large circle as the marker with no background colour - looks like a
circle around the point.

Hth
Anthony

"Jay" wrote:

> Greetings, everyone. Is there any way to have Excel draw a circle around a
> point on a scatterplot? I ask because I have two points with the same X and
> Y values, which is causing one of the points to hide under another. Thank
> you for your help.
>
> Jay

0
AnthonyD (18)

synchiing two computers?

Excel 2007: Disable Office Menu control on the fly
I'm looking for a way to disable Office Menu controls such as: New, Save, SaveAs, etc on the fly. Whenever user opens an excel workbook into my application, those controls under Office Menu are disable. In office 2003, I could do something like this when user opens their workbook in my application: With objExcel.CommandBars("Worksheet Menu Bar") .Controls("&File").Controls("&New...").Enabled = False .Controls("&File").Controls("&Open...").Enabled = False .Controls("&File").Controls(&qu...

definning events along X axis
I currently havre a pretty basic graph with time on the X axis and sales along the Y. What I was wondering is whether there is a way to define certain events on the graph to better put into context the sales performance achieved during these events. Example: the graph already shows sales activity on a daily basis for the month of may. I am open to any non pie-type graph that would allow me the extra functionality of charting, in any reasonnable manner (other then manualy touching up dates on the finished graph) these respective dates: -may 1 to may 5 as a promotional event -may 12 to may 19t...

Hid a sheet in Excel 2003 Need to unhide it in Excel 2007
I hid a sheet on a workbook created with Excel 2003. Our company upgraded to Office 2007 and I tried to unhide the sheet in Excel 2007. 2007 doesn't seem to find the previous sheet. Right click on any tab and select Unhide. Does the Unhide pop up window appear or not? "Lid7sgi" wrote: > I hid a sheet on a workbook created with Excel 2003. Our company upgraded to > Office 2007 and I tried to unhide the sheet in Excel 2007. 2007 doesn't seem > to find the previous sheet. ...

Unable to view some Excel files on Network
I am running Office 97 Pro on a Windows 98 Workstation on a Novel network. We have applied all the patches that we know of to bot Office and Windows 98. Upon roll out the user notified me that sh cant get into a certain file for her to do her jobI have uninstalle Office and rebuilt this machine and still get an illegal operation error. The error says "EXCEL caused an invalid page fault in modul EXCEL.EXE at 016f:30002924". No-one including network administrator can access certain Excel documents that are stored on the network fro a certain computer but other documents are fine. I...

Are there limitations to OLAP in Excel?
When creating a pivot table based on a Cube in Analysis Services, everything appears to work until I add a fourth dimension to the pivot table. Once I do that, I get a message that says "Running OLAP Query" for a bit, and then all of my fields come back blank. Any ideas? There are no error messages prodcued, so I am a little stumped. ...

Contracts Advanced Find Excel Export
When I perform an Advanced Find on "Contracts", the Export to Excel icon is not available when the search results are displayed. Is there a way to export Contract Advanced Find Results? Thanks Not sure why Microsoft didn't put the export to Excel function in the Contract Advanced Find view, but if you click File > Print, you will get a print window where you can select all and copy/paste into Excel and get pretty much the same results. -- Matt Wittemann http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Rocco P" wrote: > When I perform an Advanced Find on "Contracts&q...

How do I annotate the cell results from Excel to a Hyperlink?
I have a cell that has a part number in it that I have generated and I want to go to the web to find pricing on it. I have a link to a web page for pricing and all I need to do it to annotate this part number from the cell to the end of the hyperlink that I have. How do I do this? Thanks Let's say you want to add "abc" to the end of the following text "http://www.abccorp.com/" and "abc" is in cell A1 =HYPERLINK("http://www.abccorp.com/"&A1) "kgagne" wrote: > I have a cell that has a part number in it that I have generated...

COUNTIF (?) on two criteria

How from Word a list separated by commas convert to Excel?
In Word 2002, I have a list of email adds separated by commas followed by forenames & surnames, how may I convert this list in tabulated form to Excel... A column for the email add, a column for the forename and a column for the surname... e.g ferreira @benco.co.uk,, Ferreira, Marnie italia@web.co.uk,, inglese, ANDREA info@inter.co.uk,, Mulondo, Mashudu neu@mond.co.uk,, Urbina, Ivonne brenna@web.co.uk,, Williams, Brennan -- Many Thanks Gunjani Aural sex gives me an earie feeling Copy into Excel then Data>Text to Columns>Delimited by comma. Gord Dibben Excel M...

Can't find "Password to open" box in Excel 2000
I need to put a password on a workbook to stop unauthorized access but can't find "Password to open" box in to tools->options->general dialog box That's because it's not in Tools/Options/General in the Excel menu. You need to select File/Save As, then click Tools, General Options in the save as dialog. >-----Original Message----- >I need to put a password on a workbook to stop >unauthorized access but can't find "Password to open" box >in to tools->options->general dialog box >. > ...

Two IF Statements with two answers
In cell J9 I need a formula that would do the following: If G9="Yes" then F9, If G9="No" then -f9 Note: G9 has a drop down list with Yes, No answers. If there are no other alternatives that yes and no =IF(G9="Yes",F9,-F9) otherwise =IF(G9="Yes",F9,IF(G9="No",-F9,"") Regards, Peo Sjoblom "heater" wrote: > In cell J9 I need a formula that would do the following: > > If G9="Yes" then F9, If G9="No" then -f9 > > Note: G9 has a drop down list with Yes, No answers. > =IF(G9=&qu...

Two axis
Positioning the Vertical axes: I have a chart where there are two axes. The first implementation produced the two scales on the right side, one inside, the other outside the chart area. Unusual, but luckily it fits well the chart. I tried to duplicate the feat with another dataset (similar in structure) and did not even get the second scale to show right, left or center (data plotted with two different scales allright). Where is the info to control these functionalities? Tx, Pierre On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:48:13 +0100, pl.carry <pl.carry@wanadoo.fr> wrote= : > Positioning the Vertic...

Help with hidding a column in Excel
I need to hide a column in excel from access. How can I do that? Alaa "Al" wrote: > I need to hide a column in excel from access. How can I do that? > Alaa Hi Al, one of the nice things about Excel is that you can record a macro and then inspect the code. I recommend that this is the method that you use to learn what you want to do in this case. Then just copy the code into your Access routine. You did not ask how to set a reference to Excel and then open a workbook. So I assume you know how to do this. If you're not sure, then this site has a good search engine to...

where did the tools menu go for excell 2007?
I cannot find the tools menu for excell 2007. There is no Tools menu in Excel 2007. All of those commands have been redistributed elsewhere! See if this helps: http://www.rondebruin.nl/0307commands.htm -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CBB7CE96-053F-4BFC-BE4A-2257B8F46B7E@microsoft.com... >I cannot find the tools menu for excell 2007. Hi Terry, Many of the commands are under File (Office Button), Excel Options ... Cheers, Shane Devenshire "Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

Quatro Pro to Excel?
Can a spreadsheet created in Quatro be downloaded to Excel? -- ML Hi AFAIK Excel can't open Quatro Pro files. you may save them in Quatro as xls files -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "ML" <ML@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:FB5F981A-CA3D-4709-9D2B-1A7FA222A579@microsoft.com... > Can a spreadsheet created in Quatro be downloaded to Excel? > -- > ML Can you go the other way? I work with a company that uses Quatro Pro. We need to exchange information. They use Quatro Pro and I use Excel. At this time, there is not much chan...

plot two groups of numbers on one series of xy coordinates.
how to create a plot from separate x and y values. i.e. y values do not correspond to the same set of x values. example x1= 5, y1=10; x2= 8, y2=15 I can read your question 2 ways; A) you data looks like this x y 5 10 8 15 etc. Select the data and make an XY chart B) you have two sets of data x1 y1 5 10 10 12 17 15 21 20 and x2 y2 3 8 7 14 12 19 18 24 Make an XY chart of the first data series Select all the data (including headers) for second set, and use Copy Click the chart to activate it Use Edit | Paste Special .... indicate New Ser...

How do I close modal dialog in Power Point 2007 or 2003?
Hello Experts, I have very similar question with the following one. "Subject: Help: opening password protected powerpoint without user interaction" http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?query=skip+password&dg=&cat=en-us-office-powerpoint&lang=en&cr=US&pt=b157e6f3-5af9-48cb-a153-895c1aa220f8&catlist=&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us As John answered in the threads, I tried to resolve it with using timer and sendkeys. But I cannot resolve it perfectly. It sometimes failed because of the dialog seems not always ...

X axis values, non-English versions of Excel
I've had a problem for quite sometime setting the x-axis range for day of week, for non-English enabled(european) Windows. Here are the steps to reproduce this. Windows XP, Office XP/2000 You can do this on a fully English version of Windows and office. 1) Go to control panel 2) Select Regional and Language Options. 3) Choose French (Belgium) (others suffice, but I tested with this setting) 4) Click ok. 5) Start Excel. 6) Enter 7 values down a column (100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 250, 230) 7) Select the range. 8) Click Chart Wizard 9) Click Finish 10) Click inside plot area (gray area) 11) ...

two variables
I have a query that asks for collcode, collcode2 and booth. On any given day an employee may be collcode or collcode2. I would like to know how many times a certain emp has been paired with another employee. So how do I ask if an employee has been collcode/collcode2 and who the other person was? I hope this question makes sense. Thanks for any help Query one: SELECT CollCode, CollCode2, Booth FROM YourTable UNION ALL SELECT CollCode2, CollCode, Booth FROM YourTable Query Two SELECT CollCode, CollCode2, Count(CollCode) AS TIMESPAIRED FROM QueryOne GROUP BY CollCode, CollCode2 IF y...

EXCEL #8
WILL EXCEL IMPORT LOTUS 123 FILES? Yes. Best wishes Harald "BOB" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding news:0cd801c4a7f5$af080120$a501280a@phx.gbl... > WILL EXCEL IMPORT LOTUS 123 FILES? > but not 123 files with .123 file extensions (.wks is ok). BOB wrote: > > WILL EXCEL IMPORT LOTUS 123 FILES? -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

Find two PCI instance but load Init() one time
Hi all, I'm developing a stream interface driver for my PCI device under WinCE 6.0 and this driver works very well currently. Now, I got a problem when testing two the same PCI devices with my stream driver. The registry can find two PCI instances (i.e. PCI\Instance\mydrv1, PCI\ Instance\mydrv2) but system only call my XXX_init() one time. Does anyone know what the problem is? The following information is my registry setting: ================================================================== [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\BuiltIn\PCI\Template\mydrv] "Dll"="myd...

importing dates and tasks from excel to outlook
hi :) is it possible to import tasks from excel to outlooks calendar, so i dont have to do it one by one in outlook, but all at once by importing from excel? Sure. What happens when you try? Hint: export from Outlook so you can get the field names to use, then you won't have to map fields before importing and save the excel sheet as CSV so you don't have to name the range. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-...