Triangulation using excel

Good Morning,

I would like to better understand the method or methods used to calculate and determine bearing and distance from a known point based on observation(s) from two known points.

Let me explain more: Lets use a 60,60,60 triangle so there is no confustion about what side is the base. I have two observation towers, Tower Left, and Tower Right. and the tip or top is the target.  If I observe a bomb/explosion/ect... at a point that is 10 degrees left of the target from the left tower and 10 degrees right of the target from the right tower. I now have a new triangle that is 70,70,40 and I can calculate the leg lengths. where I am lost is trying to determine the bearing & distance from the target to the new spot.  using this example it would be due north of the target i.e. 360 or 12 o'clock, but I am not sure how to find distance at this point.  any assistance in a medthod or solution would be greatly appreciated.  Don

On Dec 13, 4:36=A0am, Donald Ross <donald.ross....@shaw.af.mil> wrote:
> Good Morning,
>
> I would like to better understand the method or methods used to calculate=
 and determine bearing and distance from a known point based on observation=
(s) from two known points.

> Let me explain more: Lets use a 60,60,60 triangle so there is no confusti=
on about what side is the base. I have two observation towers, Tower Left, =
and Tower Right. and the tip or top is the target. =A0If I observe a bomb/e=
xplosion/ect... at a point that is 10 degrees left of the target from the l=
eft tower and 10 degrees right of the target from the right tower. I now ha=
ve a new triangle that is 70,70,40 and I can calculate the leg lengths. whe=
re I am lost is trying to determine the bearing & distance from the target =
to the new spot. =A0using this example it would be due north of the target =
i.e. 360 or 12 o'clock, but I am not sure how to find distance at this poin=
t. =A0any assistance in a medthod or solution would be greatly appreciated.=
 =A0Don

One way is to find the coordinates of the target and the bomb
separately then find the distance and bearing of the bomb from the
target.

Assume that the base of your triangle is your x axis, the left hand
tower is on 0 and the right hand tower is on D.

The target makes a triangle with base angles A in the left and B on
the right.  The top angle is C =3D 180 - A - B.  The left side is L.

The sine rule says L/sinB =3D D/sinC.  You know B, D and C so this gives
L.  This is what you call the leg length.  The coordinates of the
target are x1 =3D LcosA and y1 =3D LsinA.  In your simplified case, A and
B are 60 but the above works for any angles.

Repeat the calculations only using the appropriate angles for the
bomb.  This gives you another set of x2 and y2 as the coordinates of
the target.  We now have the ends of the target/bomb line and can draw
a right angles triangle.

The distance from target to bomb =3D SQRT((y2-y1)^2+(x2-x1)^2).
Pythagoras
The angle from the x direction is ATAN((y2-y1)/(x2-x1)) or from
straight ahead, ATAN((x2-x1)/(y2-y1))

Snags:
1 Excel works in radians, not degrees so you will need to convert
things at the beginning and the end.  C =3D 180 - A - B becomes C =3D PI()
- A - B.
2 ATAN only give angles from -pi/2 to pi/2 or from -90 to 90.
Sometimes you will
need to add 180

Cheers

xt

Triangulation chart
Hope I can do the explanation justice, and that someone cna help. I'm looking for a chart that will show three values, as follows: The chart will take the form of a triangle. In each of the corners are the values 'A', 'B' & 'C'. Each of the sides represent a value from 0 to 100. The idea is to take the data below and plot it into the graph as follows: A - 70 B - 60 C - 55 A line will go from corner A onto side BC, and stop at the indicator for 70. A line will go from corner B onto side CA, and stop at the indicator for 60. Finally, a line will go from c...

why use typedef instead of define?
Hi: what's the difference between: typedef sometype mytype; and #define mytpe sometype ? Lisa I am having problems with this situation: I have this templated type: template <class S, class D> struct CTRelative { S s; D d; // more stuff } I wish to add CTLONGRelative in such fashion, but it causes compile errors: template <class S> typedef CTRelative<S,LONG> CTLONGRelative<S>; it fails.. seems templating a typedef is a problem. I can't use define either. So I tried something like this: template <class S> struct CTLONGRelative<S>...

Using a Space in Webbrowser Control
Hello: As usual, I've run into a problem with something that is probably so simple... any help is appreciated. I'm using the webbrowser control with the navigate method. The url I'm using needs a space (which I know is not normally allowed, but it works directly in firefox and IE). Here's some sample code: ------------------------------------ strWebPage = "http://www.imdb.com" &" ?" & Text2.Text txtURL.Text = strWebPage Web1.Navigate txtURL.Text Do While Web1.ReadyState <> READYSTATE_COMPLETE DoEvents Loop DoEven...

Use that package that comes from the M$ Corp.
--xocjzkrb Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="ygmbikcak"; type="multipart/alternative" --ygmbikcak Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="dwudvkxidmvw" --dwudvkxidmvw Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft User this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to continue keeping y...

Office apps won't open, report Office in use by another use
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel A few days ago, our Office applications started showing the report that "An Office program is being used by "user." your installation exceeds the number of installations permitted by thelicense agreement. Click More Information to learn about Microsoft Office licensing." But OFFICE ISN'T BEING USED BY ANYONE. All computers have been restarted to no avail. HELP! <sakas@officeformac.com> wrote: > A few days ago, our Office applications started showing the report that > "An Office p...

Integration of MS CRM with LotusNotes using Linkpoints
Hi, i would like to integrate MS CRM with Lotus Notes using LInk points, for this i need a trial version for LotusNotes,MS CRM and Linkpoints,from which site i can get these trial versions,what is the procedure to integrate all these things together,also i need the system requirements, please help me to integrate. Thanks Thangam ...

Address books using nicknames E2K3
How do I force outlook to look at the nicknames of my address book? ...

Customizing Excel
Ok here is my question, I must warn you it might not make sence at first... While working in Excel, when you SELECT a cell, it places a Dark Black Border around the CELL. When you select more than one cell all but the first cell will have the Black Border AND they will be filled with a light blue color. Is there a way to make the cell (even if it is just one cell) to have the black border AND light blue color? my email is raramirez@rccfc.org if anyone can help me! - Rene Are you trying to find the activecell quickly? If yes, Chip Pearson has some code that highlights the activece...

Is it save to use ExitThread?
Hi! I have a worker thread that gets suspended and resumed several times while the app is running. Is it save to use ExitThread at app termination when the thread is suspended at that time? thanks, philipp Knowing that when app exists Windows will free its resources, however there are many cases that would require from you a clean exit. It is better to signal the thread to terminate itself before exiting the application. -- Elias "Philipp Huber" <philipp.huber@innval.com> wrote in message news:bjhiku$e4o$06$1@news.t-online.com... > Hi! > > I have a worker thread...

Using COUNTIF (specific cells over multiple sheets) � can anyone help?
Hi I�d be really grateful if someone could assist me in how to �formula the below: I have twelve identically formatted worksheets (�A� through to �J�) In each of the cells B6:F6, B10:F10, B14:F14, B18:F18 & B22:F22 on eac sheet there will be a different one of 5 words (each word can and wil occur more than once within the above range). For the purpose of thi exercise I need to ignore the text in the other rows (eg 7-9, 11-1 etc). What I need to tally on a separate sheet within the workbook is ho many times each of the five words occur in the group above (eg B6:F6 B10:F10, B14:F14, B...

Multicompany Smartlist Using Extender Fields
I am trying to create a Multicompany Smartlist based on additional fields I added using Extender. I can get it to work for one company but I can not get data for both company's to show on the one smartlist. Any suggestions? Thanks, Laura Laura, Not sure what you've tried, but one approach would be to create a SQL view and use it in SmartList Builder. Here is an example: http://victoriayudin.com/2008/11/08/sql-view-to-show-open-ap-invoices-from-multiple-companies-in-gp/. -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP Flexible Solutions - home of GP Reports http://www.flex-solutions.com/g...

Excel Links in Word Documents
I have a Word 2002 document that has links in it from two other Word documents and an Excel spreadsheet. The documents print (mostly) fine for me, but a co-worker that also uses the documents from the network share is having all KINDS of inconsistent and unpredictable problems: - Excel links sometimes appear "squished" when printed - Excel links sometimes don't appear when printed - Some table cells are bold for no reason - Some entire tables change to Times New Roman even though the source table (in a different Word document) is formatted in Arial. I'm continuing...

Convert PDF to Excel columns
Help ! Ive copied a price list of a PDF file and need to put it back into original columns in an Excel file. I tried Text to columns but as the descriptions vary in length it didnt work & to do manually would take a while cause there is about 800 to do. The columns need to be set out like this - Number. Code. Description. EACH. Price. First few below :confused: 1 BB-1a Open/check/seal 300/900/1800 type CCU (includes up to 60 tags) EACH $32.90 2 BB-1b Open/check/seal 240/480/CMUX Line RIM Housing (seals and designations only) EACH $21.55 3 BB-1c Replace Captive nut (steel); Lock (pil...

Create invoice from Excel worksheet
Am looking for a method to create an invoice from data in excel rows ie name, address, etc, invoice# and amount. Would appreciate it if someone could point in right direction. Thanks Pat Pat, There's two ways to go about this: 1) On a spare worksheet, put your text in cells, adjust the row height/column width to fit and refer the adjacent cell to the data you want to print. E.g. A1 = "Invoice Number" and A2 = Invoice #, etc. Invoice# would be on another sheet so you'd put something like: = Sheet1!A6 You'll need to play about with the layout to get it to look...

HOWTO Use CHttpServerContext to read in Posted data and Svr Variab
HOWTO Use CHttpServerContext to read in Posted data and Svr Variables. Please help, I'm trying to make an ISAPI Extension with MFC. I need to copy all posted HTTP/FORM data into seperate data structures. I can not get a clear answer on how to do this from the MSDN documentation. I envision a simple FOR-LOOP with ReadClient to get the HTTP/FORM data, but the ReadClient I take it will BLOCK until all data I ask to read in comes from the client, and there appears to be no way of knowing how much data the client has sent. After that problem, I have the same issue with Server Variables...

A useful tool for use with Visio (or almost any program)
For a while I've wanted to create a demo of the operation of some of my software products and someone recommended a program called Wink for creating Shockwave Flash files, well, I've finally tried it out with Visio and it works really nicely. It would certainly provide a very useful way of showing dynamic screenshots of problems or ways of doing something that couldn't be shown with a single image file. I've got a demo of the output from Wink at http://www.gane-sarson.sandrila.co.uk/ and click on the Shockwave Flash demo link You can get Wink at: http://www.debugmode.com/win...

Getting Excel Data from One Sheet to Another....
Hey Guys, I have the following Excel problem at work and I am not sure how to solve it. Here is the low down: Excel Sheet #1 Data (First line is the header - [Person and Job]) Person Job --------------------------------------- Fred ? Fred ? Sam ? Kevin ? Kevin ? Julie ? Excel Sheet #2 Data (First line is the Header - [Person and Job]) Person Job --------------------------------------- Fred Mop Boy Julie Hostess Sam Burger Man Kevin Manager Now here is the situation that I have. Based on the how the "Person" Column corresponds to the "Job" Column in Exce...

Using a combo box to search for a record
Hi all I am using Access 2007. My Table named Debtors has the following field Surname as a Text field My RowSource is :- SELECT DISTINCTROW [Debtors].[Surname] FROM Debtors ORDER BY [Surname]; My After Update Event Procedure is :- Private Sub Combo76_AfterUpdate() DoCmd.ShowAllRecords Me!txtSurname.SetFocus DoCmd.FindRecord Me!Combo76 Me!Combo76.Value = "" End Sub and I get the following error message................. Run-time error '2465' Access can't find the field 'txtSurname' Where have I gone wrong? Bob On S...

Open a form using a comand button on another form
By using a command button on a certain form I am oppenig an other form at a cetain record by using some criteria. I am using the command button wizard to do that. When the form oppens however, I want to be able to move to other records of the form record source. Is there an easy way to do that? Thanks in advance Michalis Instead of passing the criteria in the WhereCondition, pass it in OpenArgs instead. Then use the form's Load event to FindFirst in the RecordsetClone, and set the Bookmark. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http:/...

How to create a bridge chart in excel?
I need to create a bridge chart. The floating bar char might work but it will not allow a bar to cross over 0 between negative and positive. Any help will be appreciated! Bill - This is also called a waterfall chart, thought "bridge" is definitely more descriptive. I have descriptions for waterfall charts, including those that cross the horizontal axis: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Waterfall.html http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/waterfallcrossing.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions htt...

open/import Lotus wk4 files into Excel 2007 w\ formulae intact
I do not access to Lotus Smartsuite and need to import an old Lotus wk4 spreadsheet into Excel with the formuale intact. It would be huge hassle to recreate it and I am not going to invest in Smartsuite. thanks hi 2007 does not support lotus. so you need to find someone with lotus or check in to open office. it's free. http://openoffice.org regards FSt1 "jrj19" wrote: > I do not access to Lotus Smartsuite and need to import an old Lotus wk4 > spreadsheet into Excel with the formuale intact. It would be huge hassle to > recreate it and I am not going to invest i...

Excel Formulas #15
Is is possible to make a letter in a cell trigger an equation. For example, if in a cell I put the letter "Y" (for yes) it will add a group of cells then sugtract a value from another cell to give me a total. But if I enter the letter "N" (for no) then it will only add a group of cells to give me a total without subtracting a value as it did before? Thanks, Corey Brock Corey Something like =IF(A1="Y",SUM(B1:D1)-E1,SUM(B1:D1)) -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Corey Brock" ...

Urgent assistance required for excel
Hi there I really need help. I have a spread sheet in which has weekly summaries. Each weekly summary is the same but i need to add up the monthly totals. For example A1 = Cow. Below say A10, A30 and A50 have Cow with a total in column B. How can i return a count of all Cow when a Vlookup for example stops looking after the first Cow it comes to. Is there a formula i can use to have Vlookup add all the data in the Range if it includes more then 1 Range lookup?? Hi I think you need CountIF and SumIF functions: =CountIf(A1:A100,"Cow") =SumIf(A1:A100,"Cow&...

Using date function with inline prompt
I am using the Now() function and trying to use a variable input to go back a couple of days for checking dates. In the Date Column, I am using >Date() - 3 to go back 3 days as a hard code. When I change it to a inline prompt it does not work ie. > Date() - [Enter number of days before now]. How best can I get this to work? My first choice would be to use the DateAdd function > DateAdd("d",-[Enter number of days before now],Date()) Or force the parameter value type > Date() - CInt([Enter number of days before now]) John Spencer Access MVP 2002-2...

excel spreadsheets
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I am trying to protect only some ranges of cells on a workbook <br> but cannot find this function in the software If you're looking for something equivalent to what you may have used in the PC version, Mac Excel doesn't have that type of range protection. You'll need to select the cells you want to leave editable & clear the Locked checkbox in Format> Cells - Protection. Those cells which retain the Locked property will be un-editable when Protection is turned on. HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP]...