Trendlines

Can anyone help? I what to add a logarithmic trendline but the option is greyed out and I can't seem to find where the addin might be. I am working with Excel business 2000.
0
anonymous (74723)

There is no add-in. Sounds as if the data is not amenable to a log fit.Are
there negative values? Is the x-axis numeric?
Bernard

"Gee" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone help? I what to add a logarithmic trendline but the option is
greyed out and I can't seem to find where the addin might be. I am working
with Excel business 2000.

0
bliengme1 (122)

Trendline error???
Has anybody else had this problem? If one uses a 6 order polynomial as trendline and then s/he enters manually in an other column the same equation taken from the displayed trendline equation on the graph , the original trendline is different from the one manually entered. Excel plots the two different curves having the same equation!!! Please see an example at : http://www.geocities.com/audax/error.xls Thank you for the help. Gene Disregard the previous message. The problem is due to the rounding off. The trendline calculation is OK. Gene See my website for the use of LINEST to get coef...

Add Trendline to Pivot Table Graph
I have a list of survey responses and I have created a Pivot Table with Month as the Row Heading and Count of Respondent as Data. I have then created a Pivot Table chart. I want to show a trendline but when I select the columns and right click for Trendline, as I would normally, the option is greyed out. How do I create a trendline for the pivot table category columns? If Add Trendline is disabled with a pivot chart (I don't know, I rarely make pivot charts), you could plot the data in a regular chart, then add your trendline. Pivot Tables, Pivot Charts, and Real Charts...

Trendlines in graphs
Hi all! I have an interesting question. I am ploting a graph where the X axis is by months and the Y axis is the number of parts produced. Some months we do not produce any parts; therefore, the Y axis is "0" at that time. When I put a trend line on the chart, it sees the "0" as a computable data point. A line is then generated but is off from the true trend. The true trend can be generated if I remove all the non producing months. Is there a way to specify specific groups of cells in a column that you want to use in a trendline analysis--sort of hop scotch ...

weighted trendline
Can anyone tell me if it possible to weight a linear trendline in excel? Like a calibration line where you can weight by 1/x where x is the variance at each point on the line. Hi, I don't believe that can be done with anything built into the trendline chart feature, but you can use the trendline formula in the spreadsheet and then apply your weighting to it. Then plot that rather than the built-in trendline. You can get the formula of the trendline from the chart by choosing to display it or in the spreadsheet by using the LINEST function or the related SLOPE and INTERCEPT func...

Increaseing Precision in polynomial trendline equations
How can I increase the precision in Excel's "Display Equation" option for trendlines? I am trying to fit a polynomial regression (trendline) to a X, Y scatterplot I have created. Excel's built-in trendline function shows a good fit (R2=0.9999) for a 6th order polynomial, however, If I re-plot the data using the coefficients from the "Display equation" option, the data diverge significantly. Apparently, for high order polynomials, you need to have a high level of precision in your coefficients (many decimal places accurate) in order to actually re-plot the same ...

Trendline
How can I create multiple trendlines on one graph i.e I have a graph with 5 years data and I want to show a linear trendline for each year on the same line? You need each year plotted as a separate data series, then follow Mike's advise best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "Carlo" <Carlo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3F847B4B-9C32-464A-82F9-001A340A67FB@microsoft.com... > How can I create multiple trendlines on one graph i.e I have a graph with > 5 > years data and I wa...

Excel: Can I force a linear trendline through the origin?
Yes, open at the Option tab when you make (or format) a trendline There is a text box to set intercept to any value (including 0) best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B0487508-C3C9-46C9-A7E3-EA42B60016E2@microsoft.com... > I have done that, but it is not working. Perhaps it is because I am plotting a log-log graph and therefore there is no actual zero value for the y-axis. But I need the line to pass through the origin, and because the data covers severa...

Trendlines
Does anyone know how to choose the correct trendline for a data set? I have plotted a data set in Excel 2007 (located at the following link) http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=a6c026861bdd9f9ad2db6fb9a8902bda, but I don't know how to choose the correct trendline from the options Excel provides. The 'correct' trendline depends on the data. If I weight 2 bags of sugar, then 4 bags, then 5 I would expect the trend to be linear. But if I measured the area of circles of different radii, then I would need to use a second order polynomial with zero intercept. And so on. What is you da...

Remove Trendline
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: imap How do I remove a trendline? This is very frustrating. <br><br>Even at 200% zoom there is no way to click on the trendline. The cursor remains a crossed arrow. If I right click on the data line, there is no choice for removing a trendline, only for adding new trendlines. <br><br>Robert Rose So I see I posted this to the wrong Forum. Shows how frustrated I am. Hi Robert, I can simply click on the trendline, and it gets highlighted. You have to be very careful...

Placing Trendlines Behind Data Points
Is there a way to get the trendline to show behind the points? I have an XY (scatter chart using just the points (no lines). I added a trendline to get a nice parabolic curve. Normally I would use the connected option when I pick the chart type, but the resulting line does not fit as well as the trendline. Not that I know of. The trendline shows within open marker with a white background best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Sloth" <Sloth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3D4A7967-EF8C-4B9A-9F76-E280F235E...

cannot see trendlines
I have a graph with 6 series. There is a primary and a secondary X axis. I want trendlines (moving average) on all data series. The chart will not show any. No error messages, go through procedure of adding trendline, but it just doesn't show up. Search for hidden line with cursor, doesn't show. The trendlines show up in the legend whether or not they show up on the chart. Scaling is automatic, and there is space above and below the data curve. ...

Trendlines
Can anyone help? I what to add a logarithmic trendline but the option is greyed out and I can't seem to find where the addin might be. I am working with Excel business 2000. There is no add-in. Sounds as if the data is not amenable to a log fit.Are there negative values? Is the x-axis numeric? Bernard "Gee" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E66D16D7-BAC5-454A-9827-59BE6BFB8447@microsoft.com... > Can anyone help? I what to add a logarithmic trendline but the option is greyed out and I can't seem to find where the addin might be. I am worki...

Trendline
The Excel trendline equation generator is seemingly incorrect in many instances - espectially at the higher end polynomial fits... is there a fix for this problem? While it is possible that you have run into a problem with the trendline generator, in more cases the problem lies in how one uses / interprets the result. Maybe, if you share more information about the problem that you have discovered... -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <0be201c490fe$7e9d56b0$a401280a@phx.gbl&...

Remove Trendline
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel How do I remove a trendline? This is very frustrating. <br><br>Even at 200% zoom there is no way to click on the trendline. The cursor remains a crossed arrow. If I right click on the data line, there is no choice for removing a trendline, only for adding new trendlines I don't have a Mac handy to check on, but what happens if you just select the chart & go back to the same menu you usd to add the Trendline? In the PC versions it's just a matter of "adding" or "removi...

Find 2 lowest point to form a trendline
Dear expert, Cell AH67:AH77 contain a series of data. Actaully, they are the results from an array of formula. Sometimes, it has 12 data. Sometimes, the data series has 8 data like this case. The question is that ... I would like to find 2 lowest point so that I can draw a line to form like a trendline (using slope, intercept). =Small(AH67:AH77,1) =Small(AH67:AH77,2) can help .... BUT ... I need the ist and 2nd latest point only. In this case, it should select 18.25 and 24.59 Although 21.36 in 22 Jan is lower than 24.59, but line is drawn forward (not backward). Lowest po...

More trendlines?
Are there any add-ins to Excel 2003 that include more trendlines? Preferably the add-in would have the option to search through its available trendlines to find the best fit for the specified data. I want this to work directly inside Excel so that I don't have to export the data. (I know that I can do this by entering a suspected regression equation in the spreadsheet and then graphing the values generated by this equation. However, this is too cumbersome especially if the form of the regression equation is not known.) Thanks, Don Culp I believe SigmaPlot has additional trendlines...

Selective Trendlines
Hi All, Is it possible to have a trend line only look at a part the data? Example use only the last 30 entries or so. Thanks Chad Hi, No. The work around is to create another series which contains only those data points to be trended. The base your trend line on that series. The additional series can be formatted so that it does not appear in the chart. Cheers Andy Chad wrote: > Hi All, > > Is it possible to have a trend line only look at a part the data? Example > use only the last 30 entries or so. > > Thanks > Chad > > -- Andy Pope, Microso...

Trendline vs. equation
I am plotting a series against the secondary axis (right side of chart), with an included second order polynomial trendline. Also, the following formula is calculates (I thought) where the trendline intersects the "Y" secondary) axis. {=LINEST(G14:G185,B14:B185^{1,2})} G series data is value B series data is month/year I should think both values equal; however, they do not agree (for the month ending August 03): Fourmula $293,744 Trendline $365,000 (at the trendline/axis intersect) Is there a way to accurately calculate the actual value where the trendline c...

Trendline problems
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I plotted an xy scatter plot in excel and had no trouble. But I want to add a trendline and it won't let me. When I click on the &quot;chart&quot; menu, I can see where it says &quot;add trendline&quot;, but it isn't an available choice for this graph. Why? kolson624 - First, select the data series. That is, click on one of the data points. Then, choose Chart > Add Trendline. (If you have multiple data series on the same chart, this feature allows you to add a separate trend...

Trendline Types
I am new to trendlines. I am using an xy scatter graph. Is there rule for when to use the different types of trendlines? I presently use a Power Type, but I am not sure if this is giving me a true tend. Thanks Dave - Do you have any physical basis to use one over another? In other words, if it's a physical phenomenon you're plotting, is there some theoretical relationship that describes the phenomenon? If so, use the trendline of that form, or transform the data until the model matches one of the available types. If you want a nice-looking, smooth fit, you could use a poly...

How do I stop trendline from touching the y-axis?
I have plotted a few points in a scatter graph and need to add a linear trendline, however everytime I do, it extends the trendline to the Y-Axis, which makes my plots unclear and very bunched up. I want to be able to add a trendline without it touching the y-axis. Does the leftmost point have an X value of zero? Did you choose the option to force the fit to pass through the origin? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/ _______ "Marco Couch" <Marco Couch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

Coefficients from trendline
Dear Excel Gurus, I am wondering if I can somehow pull the coefficients from the trendline equation and display them in cells separately, e.g if the equation is y = -5.21250E-21x5 + 2.35760E-17x4 + 7.99900E-13x3 - 4.69050E-08x2 - 1.56030E-03x + 6.86378E+01 I want the coefficients to be displayed in separate cells -5.21250E-21 2.35760E-17 7.99900E-13 -4.69050E-08 -1.56030E-03 6.86378E+01 I am quite sure this can be done, since these coefficients are a calculation, but how to do that? Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks in advance. Regards, Excel User You can use LINEST as explained i...

Logarithmic scale + trendlines
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I found a serious bug/mistake in Excel Trendline addition: <br> Given a linear correlation, plotted as XY (Scatter) spanned over several magnitudes. Adding a linear trendline works fine. However, changing the linear scale to logarithmic will not change the trendline to logarithmic, consequently showing the correlation in a completely wrong way. <br> I checked it with previous Win version of Excel (2003) that works fine and changes the trendline according to scale. However, Excel 2007 (Win) has the same ...

graph trendlines
hi, when I add trend lines, they are invisible. however they exist.... any idea? Thanks Perhaps the color of the trendline is set to the same color as your chart background. Look for any small breaks in the normal data curve and pass the cursor over one of these, or otherwise just sweep the cursor around until a pop-up indicates you are on a Trandline........then Right-click > Format trendline > Paterns Tab > Automatic............. Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "kyrbi" <kyrbi@datoeternietoe.com> wrote in message news:uq3Yd.34730$oK.3380323@phobos.telenet-ops....

Trendline Chart Data
Hi, Besides guessing, can I get the data points from my Trendline on my Chart? I am looking for amounts from the Trendline. Thanks, Stephanie In article <76A74657-1675-4CB6-A751-F89EC23A5279@microsoft.com>, steph44haf@discussions.microsoft.com says... > Hi, > > Besides guessing, can I get the data points from my Trendline on my Chart? > I am looking for amounts from the Trendline. > > Thanks, > > Stephanie > I am not sure what exactly you want. Do you want to see the equation of the trendline? If so, double-click it and from the Options tab set ...