Trendline values #2

I used the function "LOGEST" to get an exponential fit of a series of
numbers, which gives me a value of 1.0610. I also used "RSQ" function to get
the R-square, which is 0.9442. Then I made a chart based on the same series
of numbers and add trendline to the curve. I selected "Exponential" under
"Type" and checked "Display equation on chart" and "Display R-Squared value
on chart". The value shown on the chart is "y=3928.8e^0.0592x" and
"R^2=0.9104". I expected to see "y=3928.8e^0.0610x" and "R^2=0.9442". Why are
the values on the chart different from those produced by the functions?
0
scott7693 (519)

All this and more is explained at
http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme/ExcelTips/ExponentialTrendline&%20LOGEST.htm
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I used the function "LOGEST" to get an exponential fit of a series of
> numbers, which gives me a value of 1.0610. I also used "RSQ" function to
> get
> the R-square, which is 0.9442. Then I made a chart based on the same
> series
> of numbers and add trendline to the curve. I selected "Exponential" under
> "Type" and checked "Display equation on chart" and "Display R-Squared
> value
> on chart". The value shown on the chart is "y=3928.8e^0.0592x" and
> "R^2=0.9104". I expected to see "y=3928.8e^0.0610x" and "R^2=0.9442". Why
> are
> the values on the chart different from those produced by the functions?

0
bliengme (657)
2/27/2009 2:34:30 PM
Thanks a lot. That solved my problem.

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

> All this and more is explained at
> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme/ExcelTips/ExponentialTrendline&%20LOGEST.htm
> best wishes
> --
> Bernard V Liengme
> Microsoft Excel MVP
> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
> remove caps from email
>
> "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I used the function "LOGEST" to get an exponential fit of a series of
> > numbers, which gives me a value of 1.0610. I also used "RSQ" function to
> > get
> > the R-square, which is 0.9442. Then I made a chart based on the same
> > series
> > of numbers and add trendline to the curve. I selected "Exponential" under
> > "Type" and checked "Display equation on chart" and "Display R-Squared
> > value
> > on chart". The value shown on the chart is "y=3928.8e^0.0592x" and
> > "R^2=0.9104". I expected to see "y=3928.8e^0.0610x" and "R^2=0.9442". Why
> > are
> > the values on the chart different from those produced by the functions?

0
scott7693 (519)

Issue with passing values
Hi, I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me. I was trying to create a function that takes 2 arguments and i go compiler error messages saying i need '=' expected. Here is my code filein = Application.GetOpenFilename() ImportCSV (mysheet, filein) in the function of ImportCV, i have Function ImportCSV(sheet As String, inputfile As String) ... end function Any ideas? Thank you in advanc -- associate ----------------------------------------------------------------------- associates's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3507 View...

Junk E-Mail Folder Deleted #2
It was deleted by a user. Running Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003. How can it be recreated? malcolm <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > It was deleted by a user. Running Exchange 2003 and > Outlook 2003. How can it be recreated? Try running outlook from a command line window, specifying the /ResetFolders switch: "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office11\Outlook.exe" /ResetFolders -- Brian Tillman Tried that to no avail. >-----Original Message----- >malcolm <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >> It was deleted by a user. ...

activesync 2 phones with same data
Sorry if this is the wrong group. I want to use activsync to sync the same data to two phones. My problem is that with two 'owners' I'm getting either doubling of data (contacts, tasks etc) or only one phone syncs. I want the computer to hold the master record. I'm using office 2007. I'm flummoxed. Any ideas? AndyPandy "AndyPandy" <bogus@bogus.com> wrote in message news:ko2ns4tvrs8s7jl5q9r72k1ubs7c8e7rhq@4ax.com... > Sorry if this is the wrong group. > I want to use activsync to sync the same data to two phones. > My problem is that with two ...

Is there an option to view Special (control) Characters in Excel 2
I constantly import files into Excel 2007 (from CSV or Access files) and oten there are carriage returns hiddin within the data. Is there an option in Word 2007 that I can turn on so I can see the special (control) characters? There was an option in Word 2003 under Tools, and under the International Tab. I can't seem to find any options that will display control characters. I don't need to identify each control character - I'm just looking for a view that will display the small boxes denoting control characters. Any help would be appreciated. My apologies - I meant i...

Adding the value of cells >than 4.5
I am working with a sheet containing numbers in cells between 1-6, I only need the numbers 4.5 or greater, and average those numbers. what is the formula for it to determine say cells A1:A30 only the ones >4.5 + the average Try one of these: =SUMIF(A1:A30,">=4.5")/COUNTIF(A1:A30,">=4.5") Or this array formula** : =AVERAGE(IF(A1:A30>=4.5,A1:A30)) ** array formulas need to be entered using the key combination of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER) -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Mellybean" <Mellybean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mess...

Cannot Access Some Public Folders in Outlook 2007 Beta 2
Hello, I cannot access (open, forward or any of the right click menu functions) some of the public folders on our Exchange Server when using Outlook 2007 Beta 2? I installed the product yesterday from our action pack, it worked fine for an hour or so and then when we restarted it give theis message for the items in two of the public folders "The item cannot be displayed in the reading pane. Open the item to read its contents." When we try to open the item we get "Cannot open this item" when we double click on it. When right click and choose open we get "the op...

Passport 2002 #2
I have Money 2002 Deluxe edition. I want to turn OFF that *&@$#@ passport window that invades every time I go to certain sites... Amazon, bank, etc. HOW? Under help it says to click "login lockbox" and then "click 'change'" except there is nothing that says "change?!" No word, button, link, page, etc. Any help would be greatly appriciated. If you read the FAQ in the link earlier in this thread, it says that the way to turn the extremely annoying MoneySide window that pops when using Internet Explorer sometimes is Click Help in MoneySide, then...

In a Report, how do I display the text not the ID value?
I am trying to generate a report from table#1 that looks up organization names from table#2. When I include the organization field from table#1 in my report, the report displays the numerical value stored in table #1 not the actual text of the organization name stored in table#2. How do I get the report to display the text value from table #2? I'm just getting started with access and tried finding this in a book I have and on the help topics but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Sounds like you've used that misguided misfeature known as the Lookup ...

Counting values in an array where value in one column is not null
Hi, I am collating project details from multiple sources and need to report back how many projects are active in specific phases based on data such as in the table below: Projects Phase Version "Start Date W/c" "End Date W/c" A Prep Build Deliver a1 5-Apr 26-Apr Close a1 26-Apr 26-Jul B Prep Build Deliver b1 5-Apr 26-Apr Close b1 26-Apr 26-Jul C Prep Build c1 19-Apr 3-May Deliver c1 5-Apr 19-Apr Close c2 3-May 2-Aug D Prep d1 5-Apr 5-Jul Build d1 26-Jul 2-Aug Deliver d1 5-Jul 26-Jul Close d1 2-Aug 1-Nov If the start ...

Calculating(Processors(2)): %
I am running the code below in a .xlsm '07 spreadsheet. The problem I'm having is the code runs painfully slow and I can't figure out why. As soon as it starts my CPU usage spikes up to 52%, 51% of which is EXCEL.EXE. I also get "Calculating(Processors(2)): %" in my status bar constantly calculating "something" and showing me percentages. I tested this code using 1000 rows of data and it took ~8 mins, 2000 rows took ~15 mins, and 4000 rows took ~28 mins. Each row of data has information in columns A-Q. What is causing this latency? All the ...

Mailbox Issue #2
For some reason with one mailbox on my network I am unable to log into outlook. I'm able to log on to the network with no problem. No matter what I put into the password field for outlook it will not log me on. The password is correct. Its very weird. this just started happening. What error message are you getting? Can you login using OWA? - Ibrahim Kazi "George Schneider" <georgedschneider@news.postalias> wrote in message news:9B031AA5-3BC3-4634-8319-56BA53ECD640@microsoft.com... > For some reason with one mailbox on my network I am unable to log into > o...

Why are the values in my report bound to each other?
I created a report based on a cross-tab query using the wizard. It is handy in many ways, including keeping the values evenly spaced in each row and changing their horizontal order in the row by using the left and right arrow buttons. But can I turn off this feature? I want to insert a manually-created sub-total of the first 3 values, and it won't let me insert that manual sub-total between the 3rd and 4th values, because I can't create a wider space between any of the values. I don't see any different properties in these values and the manually-created values. ...

Trendline error???
Has anybody else had this problem? If one uses a 6 order polynomial as trendline and then s/he enters manually in an other column the same equation taken from the displayed trendline equation on the graph , the original trendline is different from the one manually entered. Excel plots the two different curves having the same equation!!! Please see an example at : http://www.geocities.com/audax/error.xls Thank you for the help. Gene Disregard the previous message. The problem is due to the rounding off. The trendline calculation is OK. Gene See my website for the use of LINEST to get coef...

Weighted items #2
I'm working with a client who runs a small chain of meat markets and I am finding the problem that at our POS the scale can only weight 30 pounds and we sell boxes or big packages of some products over this amount. So here is the question, is there any way that I could bypass the scale so that the weight is manually introduced at the POS?, I would really appreciate your suggestions. ...

Trendlines in graphs
Hi all! I have an interesting question. I am ploting a graph where the X axis is by months and the Y axis is the number of parts produced. Some months we do not produce any parts; therefore, the Y axis is "0" at that time. When I put a trend line on the chart, it sees the "0" as a computable data point. A line is then generated but is off from the true trend. The true trend can be generated if I remove all the non producing months. Is there a way to specify specific groups of cells in a column that you want to use in a trendline analysis--sort of hop scotch ...

Security issue #2
I have been working with Great Plains Financials for the last two weeks. The software is still new (five months old) for the company. When I login to User ID: ‘sa’ I was told there is no password. Of course I get an error message “Blank passwords are a security threat. You should enter a password for the ‘sa’ user in Microsoft SQL Server.” I have tried to find the appropriate window/field to assign a password within Great Plains. When I bring up a user or password maintenance window, the ‘Change Password’ field is greyed out.If I need to set up the password in SQL, I could use some p...

Add Trendline to Pivot Table Graph
I have a list of survey responses and I have created a Pivot Table with Month as the Row Heading and Count of Respondent as Data. I have then created a Pivot Table chart. I want to show a trendline but when I select the columns and right click for Trendline, as I would normally, the option is greyed out. How do I create a trendline for the pivot table category columns? If Add Trendline is disabled with a pivot chart (I don't know, I rarely make pivot charts), you could plot the data in a regular chart, then add your trendline. Pivot Tables, Pivot Charts, and Real Charts...

Office Mac 2008 #2
I just installed Office Mac 2008 on my new Mac. It worked fine the first day. Now all the symbols for Word, Excel, Power Point, Entourage are on the dock with a question mark on top of them and I can not open them. Any suggestions On 06/02/08 19:26, in article ee8c63f.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Ann_Evans@officeformac.com" <Ann_Evans@officeformac.com> wrote: > I just installed Office Mac 2008 on my new Mac. It worked fine the first day. > Now all the symbols for Word, Excel, Power Point, Entourage are on the dock > with a question mark on top of them and I can not o...

Charting cumulative values in histogram ?
I have a set of numbers 1-12 along with a corresponding % that number occurs in some data I'm analyzing. What I want to plot is a histogram with number bin 1 - 12 along the x axis, and on the yaxis a cumulative value of the total % 's upto that number. So for simple case with 4 numbers 1, 20% 2, 40% 3, 30% 4, 10% so the cumulative values I would like to histogram would be 1, 20 % 2, 60% 3, 90% 4,100% I can't seem to get this to work via the histogram charting tool in the tools/data analysis menu ? Can anyone give me any pointers as to how to achieve this ? Regards Tony TonyB, ...

negative time values?
F103=SUM(F94)-(F102) could someone tell me how to format this cell to get the correct answer, current format is [h].mm;#;[Red]-[h].mm; and its giving me a value of 1 and it should be -18:22 F94=218:18 F102=236:40 Thank you, Steve Try using this format: [h].mm;[Red]-[h].mm;#; by default, the second field is for negative numbers, the third for zero. Yours had negative numbers returning a single digit. In article <8Qyec.100$NJ5.0@newsfe5-gui.server.ntli.net>, "Steven" <me@where.why> wrote: > F103=SUM(F94)-(F102) > > could someone tell me how to fo...

sum a cell value to a range
Hi I need to sum value in A4 to a range B4:B12 every time I enter a new value in A4. How can I do it? Thanks in advance Osmario "Osmario.Avila@gmail.com" <osmario.avila@gmail.com> wrote: > I need to sum value in A4 to a range B4:B12 every time I > enter a new value in A4. How can I do it? =SUM(A4,B4:B12) I wrote: > "Osmario.Avila@gmail.com" <osmario.avila@gmail.com> wrote: >> I need to sum value in A4 to a range B4:B12 every time I >> enter a new value in A4. How can I do it? > > =SUM(A4,B4:B12) Or did you mean that you want to a...

weighted trendline
Can anyone tell me if it possible to weight a linear trendline in excel? Like a calibration line where you can weight by 1/x where x is the variance at each point on the line. Hi, I don't believe that can be done with anything built into the trendline chart feature, but you can use the trendline formula in the spreadsheet and then apply your weighting to it. Then plot that rather than the built-in trendline. You can get the formula of the trendline from the chart by choosing to display it or in the spreadsheet by using the LINEST function or the related SLOPE and INTERCEPT func...

Archive #2
When I try to auto archive my Outlook 2002, the process starts and seems to go through some folders, then I get an error message that "The operation failed". No other information is given. I run the Inbox Repair Tool and there are no errors. How can I find the cause why Auto Archive failes and how to correct it? I don't suppose you have any password protected .PST files in your profile, do you? -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr Microsoft OneNote FAQ: http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr/Computers/OneNoteFAQ.htm **I apologize but ...

Conditional Format question #2
SG93IGNhbiBJIGNyZWF0ZSBhIGZvcm1hdCBmb3IgdGhlIGNlbGxzIHdoaWNoIGNvbnRhaW5zIGEg Y2VydGFpbiBzdWJzdHJpbmc/ > How can I create a format for the cells which contains a certain > substring? Select col A (A1 active), then apply the CF using Formula Is: =ISNUMBER(SEARCH("diesel fuel",A1)) Format to taste > ok out Replace SEARCH with FIND if you need it to be a stricter, case sensitive search -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 Downloads:19,000, Files:362, Subscribers:62 xdemechanik --- Cells being in column A use Format>Conditional formatting with this ...

Counting Cells with odd and/or even values
Lets say I have range A1:A5 containing values 1,2,3,4,5 respectively. I would like to count how many of these cells are odd and place that value in A6. The same for even numbers as well (in A7). Any help would be appreciated. -- yungexec ------------------------------------------------------------------------ yungexec's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=22593 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=564950 Hi One way =SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(A1:A5,2)=1)) For even numbers, change the 1 in the formula to 0 -- Regards Ro...