Treadline Equation

Hello Everyone -

When use a series of data and create a chart - then from that create a
treadline to forecast future values - sometimes the formula Excel provides
(used to forecast the future values) is, im guessing, to big or too long and
Excel will place an E next to a number.

Here is an example: y = 762870x + 5E+06

How can I see the equation in its entirety so I can use it?

Thanks!

I assume that you mean "trendline", not "treadline"?
5E+06 means 5 * 10^6

You may want to try a function such as LINEST or LOGEST, depending on what
sort of trendline you are looking at.
--
David Biddulph

MC wrote:
> Hello Everyone -
>
> When use a series of data and create a chart - then from that create a
> treadline to forecast future values - sometimes the formula Excel
> provides (used to forecast the future values) is, im guessing, to big
> or too long and Excel will place an E next to a number.
>
> Here is an example: y = 762870x + 5E+06
>

> How can I see the equation in its entirety so I can use it?
>

> Thanks!

0
David
1/31/2010 7:20:01 PM
MC  -

Several possibilites:

(1) Select the equation, and then Format it. Method depends on Excel
version, which you didn't specify.

(2) For a linear trendline, use the INTERCEPT and SLOPE worksheet functions
(or array-entered LINEST, especially if you want diagnostics).

(3) Or, for linear forecasts, use the array-entered TREND worksheet
function.

-  Mike
http://www.MikeMiddleton.com

"MC" <MC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Hello Everyone -

When use a series of data and create a chart - then from that create a
treadline to forecast future values - sometimes the formula Excel provides
(used to forecast the future values) is, im guessing, to big or too long and
Excel will place an E next to a number.

Here is an example: y = 762870x + 5E+06

How can I see the equation in its entirety so I can use it?

Thanks!

0
Mike
1/31/2010 11:17:52 PM
Haha yes I did mean trendline thanks for that correction.  I do not know what
I was thinking when I wrote that.

I do not know how to use the LINEST, TREND, or LOGEST functions, but I was
using the trendline to forecast future expenses, assuming they increase in a
linear fashion (which is more than likely not the case, but it works well
enough).

Thanks for the help - It is much appreciated David and Mike!

"MC" wrote:

> Hello Everyone -
>
> When use a series of data and create a chart - then from that create a
> treadline to forecast future values - sometimes the formula Excel provides
> (used to forecast the future values) is, im guessing, to big or too long and
> Excel will place an E next to a number.
>
> Here is an example: y = 762870x + 5E+06
>

> How can I see the equation in its entirety so I can use it?
>

> Thanks!
If you don't know how to use any Excel function (with the exception of
DATEDIF), look it up in Excel help.
--
David Biddulph

MC wrote:
> Haha yes I did mean trendline thanks for that correction.  I do not
> know what I was thinking when I wrote that.
>
> I do not know how to use the LINEST, TREND, or LOGEST functions, but
> I was using the trendline to forecast future expenses, assuming they
> increase in a linear fashion (which is more than likely not the case,
> but it works well enough).
>
> Thanks for the help - It is much appreciated David and Mike!
>
> "MC" wrote:
>
>> Hello Everyone -
>>
>> When use a series of data and create a chart - then from that create
>> a treadline to forecast future values - sometimes the formula Excel
>> provides (used to forecast the future values) is, im guessing, to
>> big or too long and Excel will place an E next to a number.
>>
>> Here is an example: y = 762870x + 5E+06
>>

>> How can I see the equation in its entirety so I can use it?
>>

>> Thanks!

0
David

How do I enter a quadratic and cubit-fit equations?
I have a data set the I want to evaluate using quadratic and cubit fits- can someone provide the proper equations? Adn what about plotting the funtions? 1) read Help to learn about Trendlines - make an XY chart first 2) visit my site to learn about LINEST to find polynomial coefficients http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Polynomial.htm 3) to lean about charting - buy a book or visit http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/index.html best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "DianeD" <DianeD@discussions.microsoft.com> wr...

equations
how can I display the equation of a line on my graph? If the line is from Chart|Add Trendline, on the Options tab check "Display equation on chart" Jerry rich wrote: > how can I display the equation of a line on my graph? ...

Treadlines on excel
How do I get an average of two treadlines on one graph??? I can not figure how to do this. Tell us more. Are the two equations linear, polynomial? What purpose do you fee an "average" will serve? best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Corrine Silveira" <me@fakeyemail.com> wrote in message news:7932b936f9c34ab9ae972f9b7a3debea@ureader.com... > How do I get an average of two treadlines on one graph??? I can not > figure > how to do this. ...

differential equation
I would like to do some simulations using differential equations. Right now, I can do it using exponential equations [example:(A(t)=A*exp(-alpha*time))]. Could someone let me know how to do it for the differential equation (dA/dt=-alpha*A). Thanks Raj Raj Nagaraja wrote: > I would like to do some simulations using differential > equations. Right now, I can do it using exponential > equations [example:(A(t)=A*exp(-alpha*time))]. Could > someone let me know how to do it for the differential > equation (dA/dt=-alpha*A). I'm pretty sure Excel doesn't solve DEs. You&...

equation editor from mac to pc
i am a math teacher and i'm creating equation using equation editor. When i make the powerpoints on my mac and then put them on my pc, they do not show up. I am using office mac 2008 and office 2007 on the pc. Is there a way to get the two programs to work better together? ...

Embedded Chart doesn't show data value on treadline.
I have an embedded chart that I input data on a monthly basis. This month it is not showing the data that I input. It shows that trendline but not the value. I've gone into the Format Data Series tab and don't see anything that is out of wack. Can any one help? Does the chart have the min. or max. value specified for either the x or the y axis? If so, that might result in the new value not being shown. Does the chart series include the cell(s) with the new values? Click the plotted series. Check the range reference in the formula bar. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-m...

Error in the equation?
I am relatively new to using excel so here is my problem. I am trying t set the B column to show the result of this equation: =C/25+D2+E10+F6 After I press enter I recieve the message "The formula contains a error, click ok to return to the equation and correct it." I click o and C is highlighted. I've tried to search the help data base for wha I'm doing wrong and found no help. So I came here. :) Am I just going about the process of entering an equation wrong? I wan B to show the result of that equation and obviously I'd enter th numbers for C, D, etc. in their respect...

Treadline Equation
Hello Everyone - When use a series of data and create a chart - then from that create a treadline to forecast future values - sometimes the formula Excel provides (used to forecast the future values) is, im guessing, to big or too long and Excel will place an E next to a number. Here is an example: y = 762870x + 5E+06 How can I see the equation in its entirety so I can use it? Thanks! I assume that you mean "trendline", not "treadline"? 5E+06 means 5 * 10^6 You may want to try a function such as LINEST or LOGEST, depending on what sort of tren...

equation editor
I just installed Office mac 2004 student teacher edition on my brand new MacBook. I can't seem to use equation editor. Since I am a math teacher, that sucks - to say the least! Error message says somethng like - make sure it has been installed, or maybe it has been renamed etc. All I did was install. Short of using my 2nd product key to fix the problem what can I check. Find brings up no info on equation editor. I don't think Eq Ed is automatically installed with a standard installation of Office 2004 - it needs to be included in a custom install or added later. You can install it no...

2 variables in 2 quadratic equations in excel
Dear ms excel user/programmers: I hope this question is not repeated before. But anyway highly appreciate anyone can tell me how (or hint) to use ms excell and/or visual c/c++, basic, or octave(emulate matlab) to solve: (12-x)^2 + y^2 =15^2, (16+y)^2+x^2=25^2 (by programming or using its built in function)? that ^2 mean square. looking to any excel user, mathmatician, and/or programmer's help, eric, fsshl@yahoo.com Hi Eric The brute force way (requiring the least mathematical analysis) is to calculate the left hand side as functions of two reasonable first guess x and y inputs...

Trendline equation not giving correct results
I was trying to form a trendline with following data : Y X 1.128 -20 1.128 -15 1.128 -10 1.128 -6 1.111 -5 1.084 0 1.056 5 1.0276 10 1 15 0.971 20 0.944 25 0.9144 30 0.884 35 0.8524 40 0.82 45 0.788 50 After plotting the chart, I added trendline (Polynominal with order 6) alongwith its equation which read as below : y = 6E-07x6 - 3E-05x5 + 0.0006x4 - 0.0057x3 + 0.0215x2 - 0.0318x + 1.1429 and R2 = 0.9998 The trendline in the chart neatly fitted over the curve. However, when I used above equation and fed in same values of X as shown above the computed results are entirley different fro...

Linear trendline:wrong equation
Hi, I created a bar chart in Excel from the following data: X Y 73 6.6 78 5.7 86 4.8 The SLOPE and the INTERCEPT functions returned -0.136 and 16.4448 respectively. The resulting equation is Y = -0.136X + 16.448 which seems good enough to me. Then I added a linear trendline to the chart. Excel displayed the following equation: Y = -0.9X + 7.5, R ^2 =1 which is way off (and it's not a rounding problem)!!! The data seemed farly linear to me, how come Excel can't come up with the right equation??? Thanks Jan M. Use an "XY (Scatter)" chart. When you...

MS Word equation editor won't open when double-clicking on an equation
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I created a document (.docx) using the Office 2008 version of MS Word some time ago (2 months or so). Recently I wanted to correct an equation in that document and re-opened the document (on the same system and with the &quot;same&quot; copy of Word) and attempted to double-click the equation to edit it. Instead of the equation editor I get the &quot;Format Picture&quot; dialog box. In the interim I did install an update (I tend to try to stay up to date) and am at 12.2.4 (100205). <br><...

Set minimum values for equation results
Hi all, I've been searching the queries here and can't find an answer to what I'm hoping is a simple query . . . I want my equation to ensure that any minus values are returned as 0 but positive values should remain true. THis needs to be within the original equation as opposed to a separate equation doing a find and replace. Appreciate any answers (preferably by e-mail!). Jim. Try using IF(), for example: Put in C1: =IF((A1-B1)<0,0,A1-B1) which will return 0 if (A1-B1) results in a minus value with zero & positive values remaining true Hope the above helps. M...

Excel equations
I posted this before, but for some reason, it never showed up. I want to be able to take a list of months in a spreadsheet and add these months to an equation without having to type it out every time. Let me explain: I have a column of text ranging from January to Dec. I also have worksheets titled from Jan to Dec. I need to reference various cells in each of the spreadsheets in a summary spreadsheet, but each reference cell is the same for each month, i.e. always January!$A$1, February!$A$!, etc. Is there a way I can write an equation that will allow be to copy the months in the summar...

I am wondering if someone could help me solve this equation
A car wash makes $4000 profit on sunny days and loses $4000 on non-sunny days. Assuming independence, if it is sunny 75% of the days, (and, therefore NOT sunny 25% of the days) what is the expected (daily) profit (or loss) for the car wash? (MEAN = EXPECTED VALUE) Let me know via email or can you please forward me to someone who can help me with this formula? Thank you. "Miles" wrote: > A car wash makes $4000 profit on sunny days and loses $4000 on > non-sunny days. Assuming independence, if it is sunny 75% of the > days, (and, therefore NOT sunny 25% of the days) what...

Equation Editor- problem when editing an equation
I use Equation Editor a great deal, and I constantly have the same problem. If I create an equation, and later go back to edit it, the font and spacing of the equation change. I try to resize the equation by enlarging or decreasing the size of the window, but all that I accomplish is either "bunching up" or "stretching" my equation. How do I get it back to what it looked like originally? ...

how to use today's date in a equation to caculate somebody's birth
If DOB is in A1, then =Today()-A1 should return the number of days. ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Guyster" <Guyster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6C36C64E-5777-4802-BB79-CEE3265DF320@microsoft.com... > ...

Letters in Equations
I'm trying to use Word 2007's built-in equation functionality, but often times when I try to type a letter in an equation (e.g. y=2x), the letters (so the y and the x) just show up as boxes. The only way it seems I can get it working is to copy and paste from a previous equation that worked with letters, clear out the irrelevant equation and type in the new one. However, I feel there MUST be a better way of doing this. Any help would be appreciated. The 'old' equation editor is included with Office 2007 and works just as before. It is not installed by default so...

Install Equation Editor on Toolbar
Hello, I am having difficulty installing equation editor on my toolbar in Word. I can see it if I click on Insert and then Object and then go to equation editor, but how do I get it as an icon on my toolbar? Thank you. Not really a 64 bit OS related question, I would suggest reposting to one of the Word groups. -- -- "Laura C" <LauraC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:61D34976-78A0-40A7-84C2-D0529432D107@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > I am having difficulty installing equation editor on my toolbar in Word. > I > can...

Editing equation in rtf doc: "Word equation too large to convert"
I have an academic paper that I have written and need to share with my co-authors who use MS Word. I converted it from latex to rtf format. I can open the document in word 2007 and edit it, however, whenever I try to edit an equation I get a dialogue box with the error message “Word equation too large to convert". The contents of the equation get erased and I have close the equation editor and press Crtl-z to get the contents of the equation back. The problem occurs even with very simple equations, such as the fraction 1/2. I have searched the web and others seem to ha...

Equation: Fractions
Word 2007 Insert | Equation When I type a number divided by a fraction using the Stacked fraction and Small fraction templates on the Equation Ribbon, the Stacked fraction bar automatically resizes to fit making it difficult to easily differentiate between the two fraction bars. (Think: 3/2/3 written vertically. Is this 3 divided by 2/3 or 3/2 divided by 3?) Is there a way to prevent the resizing? I want the Stacked fraction bar to be noticeably longer than the Small fraction bar. I know I can use Linear or Skewed instead of the Small fraction but I don't want to. There i...

equations
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: intel Math equations are not displaying correctly. If I open on my son's PC (Word 2007) they come up fine. We need a bit more detail to be sure, but I think that's a known bug that should be fixed in the Service Release that is due soon. On 5/05/08 6:42 AM, in article ee9a836.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Nora@officeformac.com" <Nora@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) > Processor: intel > > Math equations are not displaying correctly. If I...

Change font of part of equation (Word 2007)
Hi group, In the equation editor: can I change the font for only a part of an equation? It seems that when I change the font for one part, the entire equation changes as well. Cheers -Ralf Assuming you use the new Word 2007 equations tool, you can select part of the equation (balancing could be an issue) and select 'Normal Text' from the Equations 'Design' tab and change the font size on the 'Home' tab. Yves "ralf.schaa" <ralf.schaa@gmail.com> wrote in message news:6cfffd34-73e4-46ff-94f6-5b39258d4ca1@v20g2000prb.googlegroups.com....

Trend line equation
How can I automatically capture the coefficients of a trend line equation from an excel chart, to use in other calculations? cturner08 - One approach is to use worksheet functions. See John Walkenbach's page at http://spreadsheetpage.com/index.php/tip/chart_trendline_formulas - Mike Middleton Web http://www.MikeMiddleton.com Email Mike@MikeMiddleton.com "cturner08" <cturner08@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F5C54EBF-46D7-468F-85E9-D153E383A566@microsoft.com... > How can I automatically capture the coefficients of a trend line equation > from...