Too Much Chart Data for Excel Col Limits

I have a user who wants to generate a chart from a really large set of data,
too much to fit within the 256 columns available in Excel 2003.  (No,
transposing the data won't work either, there's too much in BOTH directions!)

Can anybody suggest a way to handle that?  I thought about dumping all the
values into an array variable, but don't know a way to make that the data
source for a chart.
0
LarryP (7)

1) Have you recalled that there is a 32,000 limit on the size of a data
series?
2) Will the chart be readable even with 1,000 data points?
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"LarryP" <LarryP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a user who wants to generate a chart from a really large set of
>data,
> too much to fit within the 256 columns available in Excel 2003.  (No,
> transposing the data won't work either, there's too much in BOTH
> directions!)
>
> Can anybody suggest a way to handle that?  I thought about dumping all the
> values into an array variable, but don't know a way to make that the data
> source for a chart.

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
7/28/2008 2:27:17 PM
Didn't know 1), thanks for pointing it out.

The line chart they're working with is about progress over time on a
project, with one data point for each week looking into the future.  In some
instances they are using a time horizon of several years, so they need 52 * x
columns.  the 256 available columns let them go out more or less five years,
but in some instances that's already proving to be insufficient.  I would
think ten years/520 columns would do, but let's worst-case it at 20
years/1040 columns.  (As far as rows is concerned, I haven't heard that 65535
is a problem for them, but they do sometimes use as much as 30,000 rows or
so.)

As to readability, I hear you, but that's their call.  If I give them what
they want and it's ugly, that's on them.

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

> 1) Have you recalled that there is a 32,000 limit on the size of a data
> series?
> 2) Will the chart be readable even with 1,000 data points?
> best wishes
> --
> Bernard V Liengme
> Microsoft Excel MVP
> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
> remove caps from email
>
> "LarryP" <LarryP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a user who wants to generate a chart from a really large set of
> >data,
> > too much to fit within the 256 columns available in Excel 2003.  (No,
> > transposing the data won't work either, there's too much in BOTH
> > directions!)
> >
> > Can anybody suggest a way to handle that?  I thought about dumping all the
> > values into an array variable, but don't know a way to make that the data
> > source for a chart.

0
LarryP (7)
7/28/2008 2:46:00 PM
Another limit is 255 series per chart. Therefore, transposing the data will
provide sufficient space for 20 years * 52 weeks.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

> Didn't know 1), thanks for pointing it out.
>
> The line chart they're working with is about progress over time on a
> project, with one data point for each week looking into the future.  In
> some
> instances they are using a time horizon of several years, so they need 52
> * x
> columns.  the 256 available columns let them go out more or less five
> years,
> but in some instances that's already proving to be insufficient.  I would
> think ten years/520 columns would do, but let's worst-case it at 20
> years/1040 columns.  (As far as rows is concerned, I haven't heard that
> 65535
> is a problem for them, but they do sometimes use as much as 30,000 rows or
> so.)
>
> As to readability, I hear you, but that's their call.  If I give them what
> they want and it's ugly, that's on them.
>
> "Bernard Liengme" wrote:
>
>> 1) Have you recalled that there is a 32,000 limit on the size of a data
>> series?
>> 2) Will the chart be readable even with 1,000 data points?
>> best wishes
>> --
>> Bernard V Liengme
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
>> remove caps from email
>>
>> "LarryP" <LarryP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a user who wants to generate a chart from a really large set of
>> >data,
>> > too much to fit within the 256 columns available in Excel 2003.  (No,
>> > transposing the data won't work either, there's too much in BOTH
>> > directions!)
>> >
>> > Can anybody suggest a way to handle that?  I thought about dumping all
>> > the
>> > values into an array variable, but don't know a way to make that the
>> > data
>> > source for a chart.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
7/28/2008 5:00:05 PM
Well, yeah, but transposing would definitely get us into trouble with the
OTHER dimension of their data, which is part numbers -- they virtually ALWAYS
have more than 256 part numbers.  That's why my thoughts turned to
calculating and storing all the necessary values in a two-dimension array, if
an array can serve as a chart data source.  I know vaguely that a range of
cells can be treated as an array for some purposes, so I was hoping the
reverse is also true:  that an array can be treated as a range of cells
that's just too big to fit on a worksheet.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Another limit is 255 series per chart. Therefore, transposing the data will
> provide sufficient space for 20 years * 52 weeks.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______
>

> "LarryP" <LarryP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Didn't know 1), thanks for pointing it out.
> >
> > The line chart they're working with is about progress over time on a
> > project, with one data point for each week looking into the future.  In
> > some
> > instances they are using a time horizon of several years, so they need 52
> > * x
> > columns.  the 256 available columns let them go out more or less five
> > years,
> > but in some instances that's already proving to be insufficient.  I would
> > think ten years/520 columns would do, but let's worst-case it at 20
> > years/1040 columns.  (As far as rows is concerned, I haven't heard that
> > 65535
> > is a problem for them, but they do sometimes use as much as 30,000 rows or
> > so.)
> >
> > As to readability, I hear you, but that's their call.  If I give them what
> > they want and it's ugly, that's on them.
> >
> > "Bernard Liengme" wrote:
> >
> >> 1) Have you recalled that there is a 32,000 limit on the size of a data
> >> series?
> >> 2) Will the chart be readable even with 1,000 data points?
> >> best wishes
> >> --
> >> Bernard V Liengme
> >> Microsoft Excel MVP
> >> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
> >> remove caps from email
> >>
> >> "LarryP" <LarryP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
LarryP (7)
7/28/2008 5:28:01 PM
Larry -

Either one or the other items has to stop at 256, since a chart cannot
handle more than 255 series. How are you going to show even a fraction of
256 part numbers legibly? How will you handle the labeling? You shouldn't be
just building what they are asking for, you have to give them what they
need.

It sounds like they need some way to filter out most of the 30k rows (or
whatever) into a manageable subset, and maybe a set of charts, not one big
mega-chart.

- Jon
-------

> Well, yeah, but transposing would definitely get us into trouble with the
> OTHER dimension of their data, which is part numbers -- they virtually
> ALWAYS
> have more than 256 part numbers.  That's why my thoughts turned to
> calculating and storing all the necessary values in a two-dimension array,
> if
> an array can serve as a chart data source.  I know vaguely that a range of
> cells can be treated as an array for some purposes, so I was hoping the
> reverse is also true:  that an array can be treated as a range of cells
> that's just too big to fit on a worksheet.
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> Another limit is 255 series per chart. Therefore, transposing the data
>> will
>> provide sufficient space for 20 years * 52 weeks.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "LarryP" <LarryP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Didn't know 1), thanks for pointing it out.
>> >
>> > The line chart they're working with is about progress over time on a
>> > project, with one data point for each week looking into the future.  In
>> > some
>> > instances they are using a time horizon of several years, so they need
>> > 52
>> > * x
>> > columns.  the 256 available columns let them go out more or less five
>> > years,
>> > but in some instances that's already proving to be insufficient.  I
>> > would
>> > think ten years/520 columns would do, but let's worst-case it at 20
>> > years/1040 columns.  (As far as rows is concerned, I haven't heard that
>> > 65535
>> > is a problem for them, but they do sometimes use as much as 30,000 rows
>> > or
>> > so.)
>> >
>> > As to readability, I hear you, but that's their call.  If I give them
>> > what
>> > they want and it's ugly, that's on them.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
7/28/2008 8:00:05 PM
Okay, thanks.  Terminology confusion on my part -- I saw "255 series in a
chart" and it didn't register, since I'm only dealing with two series, parts
and numbers.  The actual limitation, then, is 255 data items in a series, I
take it.

In any event, I worked with them and we came up with a different approach
that gets them where they want to go.  Thanks for your input, Jon.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Larry -
>
> Either one or the other items has to stop at 256, since a chart cannot
> handle more than 255 series. How are you going to show even a fraction of
> 256 part numbers legibly? How will you handle the labeling? You shouldn't be
> just building what they are asking for, you have to give them what they
> need.
>
> It sounds like they need some way to filter out most of the 30k rows (or
> whatever) into a manageable subset, and maybe a set of charts, not one big
> mega-chart.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______
>

> "LarryP" <LarryP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Well, yeah, but transposing would definitely get us into trouble with the
> > OTHER dimension of their data, which is part numbers -- they virtually
> > ALWAYS
> > have more than 256 part numbers.  That's why my thoughts turned to
> > calculating and storing all the necessary values in a two-dimension array,
> > if
> > an array can serve as a chart data source.  I know vaguely that a range of
> > cells can be treated as an array for some purposes, so I was hoping the
> > reverse is also true:  that an array can be treated as a range of cells
> > that's just too big to fit on a worksheet.
> >
> > "Jon Peltier" wrote:
> >
> >> Another limit is 255 series per chart. Therefore, transposing the data
> >> will
> >> provide sufficient space for 20 years * 52 weeks.
> >>
> >> - Jon
> >> -------
> >> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> >> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> >> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
> >> _______
> >>

> >> "LarryP" <LarryP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
LarryP (7)
7/29/2008 6:59:03 PM
Sometimes it's hard to think outside the box, and you need a good push. (Not
you specifically.)

- Jon
-------

> Okay, thanks.  Terminology confusion on my part -- I saw "255 series in a
> chart" and it didn't register, since I'm only dealing with two series,
> parts
> and numbers.  The actual limitation, then, is 255 data items in a series,
> take it.
>
> In any event, I worked with them and we came up with a different approach
> that gets them where they want to go.  Thanks for your input, Jon.
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> Larry -
>>
>> Either one or the other items has to stop at 256, since a chart cannot
>> handle more than 255 series. How are you going to show even a fraction of
>> 256 part numbers legibly? How will you handle the labeling? You shouldn't
>> be
>> just building what they are asking for, you have to give them what they
>> need.
>>
>> It sounds like they need some way to filter out most of the 30k rows (or
>> whatever) into a manageable subset, and maybe a set of charts, not one
>> big
>> mega-chart.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "LarryP" <LarryP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Well, yeah, but transposing would definitely get us into trouble with
>> > the
>> > OTHER dimension of their data, which is part numbers -- they virtually
>> > ALWAYS
>> > have more than 256 part numbers.  That's why my thoughts turned to
>> > calculating and storing all the necessary values in a two-dimension
>> > array,
>> > if
>> > an array can serve as a chart data source.  I know vaguely that a range
>> > of
>> > cells can be treated as an array for some purposes, so I was hoping the
>> > reverse is also true:  that an array can be treated as a range of cells
>> > that's just too big to fit on a worksheet.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Placing Text in Excel
I am trying to create a table that has a heading on the left side of th chart. I want the text to run from left to right but longwise along th other columns how can I do this. In other words if you were looking a the table everything is viewed from top to bottom normally except th left heading which is viewed longwise from bottom to top. Thanks -- Logle091 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Logle0917's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1568 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=272...

Is this possible with Excel Chart?
Hi, I am looking to see if the following is possible? I have 20 departments with 4 regional managers looking after them. I have created 4 separate bar charts (laid sideways) on one excel shee for each regional manager showing his departments figures. This work fine. I have now been asked to combine all four regional managers charts int one big chart. Each manager has a section that then needs to includ their departments. example: Title: Area Managers League AREAMANAGER1 Town1 Results Town2 Results etc AREAMANAGER2 Town1 Results Town2 Results etc AREAMANAGER3 Town1 Results Town2 Results et...

How to scale down my charts?
I want to print both datatable and chart on one single page. But it is only the datatables that are scaled down to fit the page. The result beeing a page with a complete table, but half a chart. Please help! EXCEL 2007 If you fit your data and chart onto one page (so that they come up that way in Print Preview) you will get them to print out on one page. If my comments have helped please hit Yes. Thanks. "Dag Rune" wrote: > I want to print both datatable and chart on one single page. > But it is only the datatables that are scaled down to fit the page. ...

Create three columns of data from the same field
Hi, I have a report that lists the names of people who have been to our store in the past six months. I need to send this out to someone. It take about three pages and only has one column (Customer Name). I would like to somehow create a one page report that lists this one column three or four times. So there would be three rows. The first row would be customers 1-40, the second would be clients 41-80 and the third would be clients 81 + the remaining clients. Is there a way to do this? Thanks, -- Chuck W You can easily create multi-column reports in Access using File->Page ...

Changing cell contents so that Excel recognises it as a date
Hi there, Is there a simple way to convert data in to recognisable date format? What I want to do is calculate the difference between start and finish dates, but the data has already been entered and excel is not recoginsing it as a date even when it has been re-formatted as a date. I would be so grateful for any help! :-) -- Mifty Changing the format the cell won't change the value of the cell. After you reformat the cell, try reentering the data. Depending on what you have in the cell, hitting F2, then enter may be enough. Mifty wrote: > > Hi there, > > Is there ...

Data relationship for Contact and Contracts
CRM has a 1 to many relationship for Contact to Contracts. Is it possible to have one Contract assigned to more than one Contact? Somehow I suspect that I can't. I am looking to do the same thing. I want to be able to associate many contacts with each contract. We have "named contacts" which are authorized to contact support for a given support contract, and we'd really like a way to represent this in CRM. It would be nice if this could be done in the same manner that multiple addresses can be associated with an account. "Odette Rivera" wrote: > &g...

Excel #19
How do I find out if I have Excel on my computer? -- Kathy Hi Kathy Press the Windows key + F to bring up the Search dialogue>All Files and Folders>Excel.exe>Search If Search finds a result, then you should see Excel.exe and the Excel icon. Right click on the file and choose Send To>Desktop (as shortcut) Now from your desktop, double click the icon and Excel will load. -- Regards Roger Govier "Kathy" <Kathy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:85ED2836-B591-43BD-84F0-7F739CA3D03B@microsoft.com... > How do I find out if I have Excel on my...

Exporting data from outlook
Hi all, I want to transfer data from an specific map in an excel sheet. I know I can export it simply by hitting file>Import & export. But when the data is exported, i can't see in excel the date of receiving and sending of the emails. It's only possible to write the following data in excel: - subject - body - From - To - CC - BCC - Billing information - catergories - Importance - Mileage - Sensitivity Is there a way to also write the date data of the emails of the specific map in excel? Thanks in advance ~Marc -- marcfields "marc...

chart type #3
On a number of occasions I have selected XY chart type with points only. When the chart is drawn the type is XY chart with points and lines. Has anyone else had this problem? Why would the chart type change? Thanks for any help. mk Hmmm. I can't replicate your problem. Can you give more specifics? Wigi "mk" wrote: > On a number of occasions I have selected XY chart type with points only. > When the chart is drawn the type is XY chart with points and lines. Has > anyone else had this problem? Why would the chart type change? > > Thanks for any help. ...

Excel wont recognise date format
I export a set of data from SQL and have a column showing dates. An example of this format is 5/13/2007 6:19:07 PM which is May, 13 2007. I need to format this column to show just the date without the time element. but excel wont recognise this as a date. How can I work around this? Thanks for your kind advice. Regards Frendi, It sound like the *Date* is actually time try: =INT(A1+0) -- HTH Sandy In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland and the crowning place of kings sandymann2@mailinator.com Replace@mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk "Fendi Baba" <effendi@epitome.co...

Floating Charts #2
Hi I have a set of data shown below. I would like to show them on a floating graph with the High and the Low for each set of data (e.g. A's hi and low) connected together using a line with a cross and the end to show the high and the low. A B C D E F Low 45 15 12 10 10 15 Hi 52 25 45 80 15 125 I can do it using a floating bar - but it doesn't really achieve the effect I'm after. Anyone got any useful tips? Cheers Noy Hi, Start by creating a line chart. Format one of the series. Format dialog, Options tab, High-Low lines. Now format each series to have no Border and ...

comparing averages on chart
I've recently just learnt how to use pivot tables and charts and I've created a table and chart which deals with different agents fro different groups and how they performed in monthly tests. What i nee to know is how do i place the comparison of averages onto th chart.:confused -- rushd ----------------------------------------------------------------------- rushda's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3054 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=50196 Your Data Range will have to be selected from the row(s) or c...

Excel 2003 freezes on file open
This just started happening last week. When I open an excel file by double-clicking the file Excel opens to a visually blank worksheet and freezes. When I click the X to shutdown Excell the actual worksheet I was opening appears for a second and the program closes. Everything opens fine if I open Excel first and do a file/open. Does this sound like a video memory problem? Do you think an external Video card would solve this? I am Running: XP Pro Office 2003 3.00 GHz 512 MB Onboard Video Intel 82865G controller Chip Pearson has a bunch of techniques that deal with start up errors a...

Newbi needs a very small help, thank you very much.
Newbi needs a very small help, thank you very much. Hello everyone and thank you very much for your time. I Have a small db for invoicing and on my form (with a subform) there is a CANCEL button which will just cancel what had been selected or entered in the form ... here is the code behind the cancel button... Private Sub Cancel_Click() Me![BillsFormSub].Form.Refresh DoCmd.SetWarnings False DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acEditMenu, 8, , acMenuVer70 DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acEditMenu, 6, , acMenuVer70 DoCmd.SetWarnings True Exit_Cancel_Click: Exit Sub End Sub This was working ...

Might be asking too much
I am using excel to track day to day project hours on a bi-weekly interval. In the cell where I am entering my time I am also adding comments as to what work was done during that time. What I would like to do is figure out a way that I can extract the comments out to print. Now I know that I can print them at the end of the layout which is essentially what I want, but the way it defaults the printing is by calling out the cell name i.e. (c24) then the comment. The problem is that I have no way of know which cell that is. so what I would like to do is basically set up a layout myself...

Chart Colors
This one's got me stumped. I just officiated a test, and would like to make a chart showing 3 different pieces of information: 1. The person's name shown horizontally <---> 2. The person's score shown vertically | 3. The person's exposure time to the subject, shown by the color of their bar (ex: green = brand new / black = very experienced, with shades in between) I know there is a conditional formatting function that does this for cells, but is there any function that is able to do this for charts, or do I simply have to go through and hand-pick the colo...

Excel to Calendar
Hi everybody, I would like to import my one ear agenda from Excel to Calendar (outlook 2002) I've tried allready without any result (direct or by ..csv file). In Excel, my agenda is on 4 columns : date, time, place and subject. What is a correcte way to do it? Bon dimanche � tous Paul The way you did it. You might need to "map custom fields". Another alternative is to export a blank Calendar from a new Calendar folder and then use copy and paste to paste the data in the right fields. Import that into the new calendar folder and, if all is ok, copy to your main Calendar....

Date in excel
When I start Excel I would like to set the system time automatic back. Something like this Read current date Set date to 25-12-9 start excel stop excel Set date to curret date Can anybody help with this ? Why? -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "A.Geeraert" <ajgeeraert@zeelandnet.nl> wrote in message news:OA8Zm.120123$lP6.77614@newsfe13.ams2... > > When I start Excel I would like to set the system time automatic back. > > Something like this > > Read current date >...

Data Conversion into Sybase
Hello. We have a very large Excel spreadsheet that we want to convert into a Sybase Database. We are wondering if anyone had a good suggestion as to go about doing this. We've thought about converting the data into MS Access first and then going to Sybase, but using the intermediate program doesn't seem like it is the best idea. Also, we're only converting about 1000 rows now, but there are many, many more that will need to be converted later on. Any sugggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Hi I would try to save the Excel files as *.csv file. Sybase should be able to...

CRM Mail Merge Data Source
Does anyone know if there is a way to change the default data source when using mail merge from CRM? I have created mail merge documents in Word and saved them with the data source pointing to the SQL CRM Accounts database but when opening them in Word from CRM, I'm told that the fields are not found. In short, I can print company name and address but not a contact name as we are using "address1_primarycontactname". Also, is there a way to copy address info from the Accounts record to associated Contact records? Thanks. ...

CTabCtrl item data
Hi, Is there a way to set and get application item data in tab control item (such as SetItemData/GetItemData in CListCtrl) ?? thanks, Yoav. >Is there a way to set and get application item data in tab control item You could use Set/GetWindowLongPtr GWLP_USERDATA. Dave -- MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq Yes, have a look at CTabCtrl::SetItem method and "LPARAM lParam" member of TCITEM structure. Regards, Victor "yoavo" <yoav@cimatron.co.il> wrote in message news:#O#71gCNFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi, > Is there a way to set and get a...

Querying last months data
Hi All, I have created a query where I can get a count of a specific person's activity. These people log when they recieve mail and when they have actioned it. The problem that I have is these stats are gathered for the previous month i.e. in January we are looking at Decembers data. I can get the query to get the data from February to December but come January I cant go back to December. Here is the SQL code: SELECT Count([Experience Rating Table].DateCompleted) AS CountOfDateCompleted FROM [MyTable] GROUP BY [MyTable].AssignedTo, Month([DateCompleted]), Year([DateCompleted...

Opening excel from launch bar opens 2 existing files, not blank on
Opening excel from launch bar opens 2 existing files, not blank one - does anyone have any idea why? I checked the setting under Tools > Options > General > at startup open all files in: and there is no entry. Thanks! Look to see if those files may have gotten saved in the XLSTART folder. HTH -- Sincerely, Michael Colvin "laralea" wrote: > Opening excel from launch bar opens 2 existing files, not blank one - does > anyone have any idea why? I checked the setting under Tools > Options > > General > at startup open all files in: and there is no ent...

how do i calculate a chart gradient in excel?
Is it possible for excel to calculate the gradient of a line of best fit Do a search on EXCEL for the LINEST function. "Nay" <Nay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:181730F9-BDF3-495E-9FCC-6C76E14B1D01@microsoft.com... > Is it possible for excel to calculate the gradient of a line of best fit ...

User seeing too much data
I have a user who has changed from a view all role to a restricted view role, everything has been updated on his user profile including removing his old role and adding him to the new role but on some views within CRM he can still see data that was linked to his old role. User was a customer service rep who at one time was the owner of several hundred records and had full organizational view privlages. About 6 months ago he changed to a sales position which he now owns a new group of records and should only be able to access and see the records he owns. The records he used to own hav...