The equivalent of a Find & Replace option

Is there way to "Find & Replace" some text (current date) in a multitude of 
graphs/charts in Excel?
I have a workbook with 17 tabs with around 80 graphs/charts that need to 
have the date changed on a weekly basis.  Currently I am copying the new date 
and pasting into each one, but figured someone would have a better solution.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
0
pat6918 (191)
9/12/2008 9:49:02 PM
excel.charting 18370 articles. 0 followers. Follow

4 Replies
258 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 39

Put the date into a cell. Next time you replace them all in the charts, 
inset a textbox that's linked to this cell. The easy way to do this is to 
select the chart, click in the formula bar, type =, then click on the cell. 
This textbox will be linked to the cell and update accordingly.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
_______


"Pat" <Pat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:EFD69D8C-085F-4D69-9D56-C4B647459B0B@microsoft.com...
> Is there way to "Find & Replace" some text (current date) in a multitude 
> of
> graphs/charts in Excel?
> I have a workbook with 17 tabs with around 80 graphs/charts that need to
> have the date changed on a weekly basis.  Currently I am copying the new 
> date
> and pasting into each one, but figured someone would have a better 
> solution.
>
> Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you! 


0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
9/12/2008 10:45:25 PM
Jon - This worked very well, thank you...
Of course this raised a new question.  Once I have moved the date into where 
I believe I would like to put it (In the Chart Title) once I have released 
the textbox, I am having difficulty re-opening the dated textbox to make 
minor adjustments. Only the "Chart Title" is opening, not the dated 
textbox... This most likely very simple, but just the same.. I'm stumped, any 
additional info is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks...

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Put the date into a cell. Next time you replace them all in the charts, 
> inset a textbox that's linked to this cell. The easy way to do this is to 
> select the chart, click in the formula bar, type =, then click on the cell. 
> This textbox will be linked to the cell and update accordingly.
> 
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
> 
> 
> "Pat" <Pat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:EFD69D8C-085F-4D69-9D56-C4B647459B0B@microsoft.com...
> > Is there way to "Find & Replace" some text (current date) in a multitude 
> > of
> > graphs/charts in Excel?
> > I have a workbook with 17 tabs with around 80 graphs/charts that need to
> > have the date changed on a weekly basis.  Currently I am copying the new 
> > date
> > and pasting into each one, but figured someone would have a better 
> > solution.
> >
> > Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thank you! 
> 
> 
> 
0
pat6918 (191)
9/16/2008 4:41:00 PM
My apologies, I didn't click on one of the corners of the textbox, so it 
wasn't opening for me, just a matter of clicking on the right area. (Duh!) 
Once again, thanks...

"Pat" wrote:

> Jon - This worked very well, thank you...
> Of course this raised a new question.  Once I have moved the date into where 
> I believe I would like to put it (In the Chart Title) once I have released 
> the textbox, I am having difficulty re-opening the dated textbox to make 
> minor adjustments. Only the "Chart Title" is opening, not the dated 
> textbox... This most likely very simple, but just the same.. I'm stumped, any 
> additional info is greatly appreciated!!!
> 
> Thanks...
> 
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
> 
> > Put the date into a cell. Next time you replace them all in the charts, 
> > inset a textbox that's linked to this cell. The easy way to do this is to 
> > select the chart, click in the formula bar, type =, then click on the cell. 
> > This textbox will be linked to the cell and update accordingly.
> > 
> > - Jon
> > -------
> > Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> > Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> > Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
> > _______
> > 
> > 
> > "Pat" <Pat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> > news:EFD69D8C-085F-4D69-9D56-C4B647459B0B@microsoft.com...
> > > Is there way to "Find & Replace" some text (current date) in a multitude 
> > > of
> > > graphs/charts in Excel?
> > > I have a workbook with 17 tabs with around 80 graphs/charts that need to
> > > have the date changed on a weekly basis.  Currently I am copying the new 
> > > date
> > > and pasting into each one, but figured someone would have a better 
> > > solution.
> > >
> > > Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thank you! 
> > 
> > 
> > 
0
pat6918 (191)
9/16/2008 4:54:09 PM
If you want the date included in the chart title, construct the entire label 
in a cell:

="Test Run On "&TEXT(NOW(),"D-MMM-YY")

then link the chart title to this cell in the same manner you linked the 
textbox to a cell: select the title, click in the formula bar, type =, then 
click on the cell.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
_______


"Pat" <Pat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:85A7A592-6CAA-44FD-99A1-579046F8AF82@microsoft.com...
> My apologies, I didn't click on one of the corners of the textbox, so it
> wasn't opening for me, just a matter of clicking on the right area. (Duh!)
> Once again, thanks...
>
> "Pat" wrote:
>
>> Jon - This worked very well, thank you...
>> Of course this raised a new question.  Once I have moved the date into 
>> where
>> I believe I would like to put it (In the Chart Title) once I have 
>> released
>> the textbox, I am having difficulty re-opening the dated textbox to make
>> minor adjustments. Only the "Chart Title" is opening, not the dated
>> textbox... This most likely very simple, but just the same.. I'm stumped, 
>> any
>> additional info is greatly appreciated!!!
>>
>> Thanks...
>>
>> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>>
>> > Put the date into a cell. Next time you replace them all in the charts,
>> > inset a textbox that's linked to this cell. The easy way to do this is 
>> > to
>> > select the chart, click in the formula bar, type =, then click on the 
>> > cell.
>> > This textbox will be linked to the cell and update accordingly.
>> >
>> > - Jon
>> > -------
>> > Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> > Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> > Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
>> > _______
>> >
>> >
>> > "Pat" <Pat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > news:EFD69D8C-085F-4D69-9D56-C4B647459B0B@microsoft.com...
>> > > Is there way to "Find & Replace" some text (current date) in a 
>> > > multitude
>> > > of
>> > > graphs/charts in Excel?
>> > > I have a workbook with 17 tabs with around 80 graphs/charts that need 
>> > > to
>> > > have the date changed on a weekly basis.  Currently I am copying the 
>> > > new
>> > > date
>> > > and pasting into each one, but figured someone would have a better
>> > > solution.
>> > >
>> > > Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
>> > >
>> > > Thank you!
>> >
>> >
>> > 


0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
9/17/2008 3:22:03 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

I am unable to find and send emails from my microsoft office??why
I cannot find the send icon in my microsoft office. I have written emails but can't send them and I don't know where it could be...............I have loked every where... If anyone could help me with this problem that would be great.thanks...William. william wrote: > I cannot find the send icon in my microsoft office. I have written > emails but can't send them and I don't know where it could > be...............I have loked every where... > If anyone could help me with this problem that would be > great.thanks...William. Have you set up an email account? ...

Making charts equivalent
We track the average patient value on a number of different analytes. Is there a standard way to make the graphs appear equivalent? If I track hemoglobin with a mean of 14.0 with the minimum set at 10 and the max set at 18, and then I have a second graph for hematocrit that has a mean of 38, but the max is set at 41 and the min at 35, the latter is a steep graph, and the former is flat, even though the hemoglobin values are approximately 1.3 the hematocrit. But the setting of the axis values can potentially make data look misleading. I am looking for a rule so that data will appear consist...

Ho do I find last cell in excel worksheet?
Hello, I have tried using CTRL+End which goes to last populated cell.... most of the time!! But if some cells are cleared and last populated cell is before "previously" populated cell the above comman still goes to that location! How can I reset it?? If CTRL-End takes you to cell E15 but cells were cleared and the lower right corner of your data is now at E12, delete rows 13 - 15 and save the spreadsheet. CTRL-End will then take you to E12. In the addin litLIB I have created a function LastRow that you can use. Example: =LastRow(2) This function will display the row number o...

finding related messages
OutlookXP had a nice feature where you could either click at the top of the message, or use a toolbar button to find all messages related to the one selected at the moment. I can't find this very useful feature in Outlook 2003. Grouping by subject only works if all the related messages are in the same mail folder, but not if rules have been set up to move messages from a particular person. It is hard to believe that this feature may have been left out of the new version. Can someone help me with this? Thanks ! ...

transparent dlg option
hello, when I use transparent option in my cdialog, it will not show up in the foreground but is hidden under man window application. how to fix that? thanks Are you calling DoModal()? Tom "borowka" <ad@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:er5OaUXxGHA.1284@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > hello, > when I use transparent option in my cdialog, > it will not show up in the foreground but is hidden > under man window application. how to fix that? > thanks > yes I do. "Tom Serface" <tserface@msn.com> wrote in message news:%2398LKRfxGHA.3264@TK2MSF...

Updates available, but no install option since dcpromo on 2008 ser
Hi, I've been trying to resolve this for ages. We have 4 2008 servers (fresh build) that recevied their updates successfully from our WSUS server (hosted on a 2003 WSUS server). We then ran dcpromo on the 4 2008 servers to make them domain controllers. Since then if you log onto the 2008 DC's (even as the domain 'administrator') the notification pops up on the ask bar to say 'New updates are available', but when I open the 'Windows Update' window I have no 'Install Updates' option. We've since build other 2008 servers and they all wor...

Finding a mailbox (Connector) ??
Below is a line I took from our Backup Exec server log. "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes\Internet Mail Service (xxxxxx) [internet mail connector (xxxxxx)]MTS-IN Folder00008" I´ve tried everything to find this particular mailbox but failed. I know this is also our connector to the outside and I checked the physical folders where mail are stored but nothing is there. In the administrator tool I cant find it either in hidden or non hidden boxes wich makes it impossible for me to find the faulty email inside. I cant open it in Outlook either since it cant find that particul...

Joining Tables in Advanced Find
I want to create a view that displays columns from multiple entities -- specifically, I would like to list data in my account entity with my opportunities. This doesn't seem like a complex need to me, but I can't figure out a way to do it with the 'out-of-the-box' CRM. I like the advanced find format that easily drops to Excel. Am I totally missing something? What are other folks using to satisfy this need? Unfortunately your requirement cannot be met "out of the box". You'll need to develop a custom report. -- Peter "Cindy Mikeworth" ...

Search and replace multiple values
All; Need to do a search and replace on multiple values: 06 - Phase VI would be replaced by O, 08 - Won would be replaced by W, 09 - Lost would be replaced by L, 10 - Cancelled by Gov't would be replaced by C I've looked for formulas, but what I've turned up is multiple values to one value e.g. $ or - to blank. Any help would be appreciated! Well, the easiest way would be: Ctrl+F > Replace > Find what (type in your criteria) > Replace with (type in your criteria) > Replace All. -- Ryan--- If this information was helpful, please indicate this by c...

Linker Option
I was receiving a number of duplicate linker errors caused by an imported lib file and MFC files. I set the option: Ignore All Default Libraries. I'm now ONLY getting link errors of: NAQX.def : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol DllCanUnloadNow NAQX.def : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol DllGetClassObject ---------------------- QUESTIONS: 1. Besides MSDN is there any book that does a better explanation of what's going on behind the scene when you set the various linker options?? 2. Based on MSDN I'm confused over whether this needs to be resolved in the i...

AdminPak Equivalent
Guys (n Gals) I've upgraded to Win7 but can't seem to get adminPak for win2003 to work. Any ideas on how I can get this pack or an equivalent to management my system. Thanks Nik Hello Nik, You have to use RSAT for Windows 7 instead: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7D2F6AD7-656B-4313-A005-4E344E43997D&displaylang=en Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.dem...

Help! Search & Replacing time formats
Hi I have a whole spreadsheet full of fields similiar to the following 10:00AM 12:15PM 2:25PM 4:40PM 7:00PM 9:20PM 10:00PM 12:20PM 2:25PM 4:30PM 7:15PM 10:00AM 12:30PM 2:45PM 9:15PM 10:40AM 1:10PM 5:00PM 7:20PM 9:35PM etc. I need to convert all times to 24 hour, and drop the AM & PM. The later is easy, but how do I do a quick Search & Replace without incorrectly converting 10:**AM to 22:** etc. Any tips would be appreciated. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly fro...

How does Explorer find UNC files so fast?
I have written and tested programs from others for a long time and cannot find any way to get UNC files fast. My program will find information on 2000 to 3000 files per second on a USB drive but only return information on about 2 files per second. What can I do to get a useful speed on UNC drives similar to Explorer's performance? Mike Morrow > My program will find information on 2000 to 3000 files per second on a > USB drive but only return information on about 2 files per second. The difference being ? My understanding is that you are finding files fast but that...

Xshell equivalent
Hi, I am looking for an alternative to Xshell that would allow users to gain access to Unix/Linux hosts easily and securely on a Windows workstation. I searched the internet and got few utilities like mRemote, PuTTY, SecureCRT. I think, mRemote is not free. Which is the best equivalent for Xshell opensource (free) utility in Windows ? Lemme know if there are other free utilities that are equivalent to Xshell. Any ideas ? Thx in advans, Karthik Balaguru On Jan 9, 9:29=A0pm, Daniel Menzel <efmen...@web.de> wrote: > karthikbalaguru schrieb:> On Jan 9, 7:03 pm, k...

Command Find
In a button of a form I include the following order: "DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acEditMenu,10,,acMenuVer70" How should I know when the user clicks on "Next", "Cancel" or "x" ? N.B.: I use Access 2007 RunCommand would be better than DoMenuItem, which was replaced with RunCommand in Access 95 or 97, I think. Here is a conversion list: http://www.accessruncommand.com/domenuitem.htm I think the code you posted is Find, but I don't understand the question about the user clicking Next, Cancel, or X. Simon wrote: >In a button of...

COUNTIFS equivalent in Excel 2003
Hi all, I am trying to find a way to write the following formula in Excel 2003. I have tried SUMPRODUCT but it does not seem to work when both criteria have text values. I tried COUNTIF & COUNTIF but I think the wildcard * is throwing off the result. =COUNTIFS('Cycle 1'!$B$14:$B$1069, "Auto*", 'Cycle 1'!$J$14:$J$1069, "100%") Please help! Thank you! url:http://www.ureader.com/gp/1042-1.aspx >COUNTIFS('Cycle 1'!$B$14:$B$1069, "Auto*", 'Cycle 1'!$J$14:$J$1069, "100%") Does the range J14:J10...

Formula to find data in other worksheets
I use many work sheets all set up the same way just with different values. Cell A1 is a model #(2000) & Cell B1 is a type or style( XLR). Each work sheet has a unique model & type. The rest of the worksheets are set up as follows Column A (from Cell A2 to A25) have sizes for height A2 is 15" A4 is 17" ect. Row 2 (B to Z) is also sizes but for width B2 15", C2 17" and so on. I then use the work sheet to find out prices example Model 123 Style XLR with size 17"W x 17"H is on my first worksheet and has a price of $1.20 which I would find in cell C4. I want ...

default icons not being replaced
I have drawn new icons for my app, using the VS (VC++ 6) resource editor, large and small versions, and yet when I execute the program my title bar has the default "little window" icon and my taskbar icon is the mfc squares default icon. I used the appwizard to create the program, selecting SDI without document/view architechure, thick frame, minimize button and maximize button. I have included the following code to attempt to get my icons: HICON m_hIcon = ::LoadIcon(NULL, MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDR_MAINFRAME)); SetIcon(m_hIcon, FALSE); It compiles fine but the icons dont change. ...

Where to find the current ITK?
Hi Thomas, I found this link on the Microsoft partner site: http://members.microsoft.com/partner/premium/solutions/business/crm/implementationtoolkit.aspx Hope this helps! Thanks. Moritz Berger ---- The opinions expressed in the message above reflect merely the authors private point of view. If you still insist on reading this, please note that I will not accept any liablity for the consequences. Moritz Berger wrote: > Hi Thomas, > > I found this link on the Microsoft partner site: .... perfect, tnx! Regards, Thomas ...

Unable to set synchronization options for SQL 2000 DB
Hi, I hope somebody can help me out here. We use SCDPM for most of our backing up and I am moving the last few old servers over to using it. One of the protection groups I am trying to create, is for an SQL 2000 DB. Other DB's on this box are perfectly fine. The one I'm trying to back up has recovery mode set to full so it's not that. The only thing I can think of is that this particular DB is the first one I've tried to back up which has 2 transaction log files. One named Db_tlog_1.ldf and the other Db_tlog_2.ndf. Any ideas as to where I can look for some...

FRX Sysdata Options
I have just done an upgrade to FRX 6.7. The upgrade was successful on the server - I can open FRX, view reports for each company, etc. I am not able to install the client successfully. At one point I was able to launch FRX and open with the FW company but when I go into the Sysdata folder to change the patch - the options of All users or current user only are not there. I have installed the latest service pack. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks. You need to make sure that your client installs are pointing to the sysdata folder on the server. Go to admin>Organization and then click...

HELPPP Cannot access options in tools menu
Hi, excel 97, I cannot access options in the tools menu. I get a generic exception error message. Word, powerpoint, etc are not affected. The only thing I have done recently is install a pdf converter program (scansoft) which put tool bar icons in ms office apps. I removed it. I do not know if that is what caused this. But I need to work This is bad. All of my excel docs open, but I cannot get into options and I need to. Thanks so Much GRCC Sorry, forgot to add- winXp pro and I have done a complete uninstall and reinstall of MS Office Thanks GRCC "GRCC" <grccnews@nospamadelphia...

Finding Payee Information
Recently, payee information has dissappeared even though I have made payments before and Microsoft Money recognizes the name in its registry. Please advise. -- Ziad Elmously If you mean in the dropdown list in the account register when putting a transaction in, Money only shows you payees that have been used in the last year. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp...

help Cant find Database Properties Window
I've doouble clcked on the entities, ive right clicked too and Ive looked thru every menu item and help but am unable to return to the properties window--ive already used it alot in this document already as i have 15 defined entitiies and about 18 relatonshisps. any ideas...im goin crazy oh yeah, its visio 2003 trial edition -- - ds ...

finding sheet1
how can i find sheet1 when it was renamed? Hi Nono, If only the sheet name (and not the code name) has been changed, then try the following simple macro: Sub TesterA() MsgBox Sheet1.Name End Sub --- Regards, Norman "nono" <nono@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E0BB45D1-9EC3-4D7C-9C04-EDB00A6F1D3F@microsoft.com... > how can i find sheet1 when it was renamed? Maybe Worksheets(1) -- HTH Bob Phillips "nono" <nono@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E0BB45D1-9EC3-4D7C-9C04-EDB00A6F1D3F@microsoft.com... > how ...