Text To Dates

I have trouble with Excel converting text to dates.

For example:
I set the row to text and enter Jan 02, Feb 02 ... Dec 02;
I copy the entries Jan 02 through Dec 02 and paste them in
the same row (Which I previously set to text);
I replace the 02 with 03 expecting to have Jan 03, Feb
03 ... Dec 03;
However, Excel, in its infinite wisdom, converts my new
items to 3 Jan 04, 3 Feb 04 ... 3 Dec 04.

How can I get Excel to accept my change and keep the
fields as Jan 03 etc. An easy fix is to use the month
fill, but I have had similar problems in the past and
wondered if what I can do to fix the worksheet.

Any thoughts, thanks
0
anonymous (74717)

Bruce -

Don't format the row as text. Enter complete dates, so Excel doesn't
have to guess what you mean. For January 2002, enter 1/1/2002 or Jan 1
2002. Use a number format that displays the month and year (one of the
regular date formats, or MMM YY).

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Bruce Harris wrote:

> I have trouble with Excel converting text to dates.
>
> For example:
> I set the row to text and enter Jan 02, Feb 02 ... Dec 02;
> I copy the entries Jan 02 through Dec 02 and paste them in
> the same row (Which I previously set to text);
> I replace the 02 with 03 expecting to have Jan 03, Feb
> 03 ... Dec 03;
> However, Excel, in its infinite wisdom, converts my new
> items to 3 Jan 04, 3 Feb 04 ... 3 Dec 04.
>
> How can I get Excel to accept my change and keep the
> fields as Jan 03 etc. An easy fix is to use the month
> fill, but I have had similar problems in the past and
> wondered if what I can do to fix the worksheet.
>
> Any thoughts, thanks

0
DOjonNOT (619)
6/19/2004 3:41:40 PM
Thanks, I will try that suggestion.

0
anonymous (74717)

Date & Time Stamp does not update
I have created a form in a Public Journal Folder. When I add a new Journal Entry the date and time is the same as the date and time that I created the form. I do I get the form to update? ...

TEXT = text

Business Alerts-Basaed on Date
Hi, I have a requirement to create a business alert when a PO is raised for a specific supplier. My problem is to get the alert to work on a date based logic. Does any one know of a function or a work around to get the alert to work on say within the x days from today. Appreciate your comments. Hi, Please ldrop a email if you are interested in learning about our custom Business alert solution for GP. Regards, NJ nj.tech@hotmail.com "PR" wrote: > Hi, > I have a requirement to create a business alert when a PO is raised for a > specific supplier. My problem is to ge...

Selecting text in a document

CScrollView and text height

Text Boxes on Charts not showing up

problem about working with dates.
Column 1 contains a list of dates in format DD/MM/YYYY I want to manipulate this data such that another column shows MM-YY based on data in column 1. The change from slashes to hyphen separation is required. How can I do this? [Does not need to be done in one step. I tried using the =right(_, _) command to seperate the '08' off with the intent of concatenating the seperated stuff back together- but this did not work.] ss Simon If the dates in column A are truly dates just format the new column as mm-yy should suffice -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southa...

Ranking Numbers with Text

Null in text box

Re: Using Text Styles

ERROR check if a date set entered violates a perviously entered date set
I am devloping an excel program that has a list of date sets, not necessarily in sequencial order. What I want is an ERROR CHECK if a date set violates any date set previously entered. What I was looking for was that a date set could not be typed in as follows: 1/10/04 to 4/20/04 2/10/04 to 3/20/04 The second date set falls within the first set and should be invalid setting off a message or an alert of an invalid entry. I am interested in making it idiot proof so that one could not enter date sets within or covering dates sets already entered. This one really throws me, Please help. ...

Text in Cell as Formula #2

Logical Test: Text Against Number 01-05-10

Rotate text?
Office(publisher) 2K. Is there anyway to rotate a specific word in a sentence? L. Not if it's part of the sentence rather than being a separate text box. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "L." <ofallon12320@yahoo1.com> wrote in message news:%23TBzesS9FHA.2616@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Office(publisher) 2K. > > Is there anyway to rotate a specific word in a sentence? > > L. > > Thanks for the info. L. "JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" <jl_paules@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:U46dnd7PfZ5CTBHenZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d@suscom....

Plain text warning/ VS2005
Whenever I add a CRecordset derived class, I get an error telling me the password for the DB is sent in "plain text" and is not secure etc. I comment that line out, but how much of a security risk is this? What can I do with my Access database to avoid this? VC 6.0 never gave this error... tia b If you are on any kind of network that anyone can look at, you are wide open for attack. Example, a University network; potentially, ever student can be running a packet sniffer and see your password. Anything that passes acros the Internet outside your local intranet is also vuln...

Sort date by day and not year
Need to sort birthdates by month and day; ignore year. Ex: Would like to sort like list below: 3/02/1997 3/15/2002 3/21/1996 Not like this: 3/21/1996 3/02/1997 3/15/2002 Please help and thank you for your help. Kathy Hi one way: - add an additional helper column (lets ay B) - insert the following formula in B1 (if column A stores your list): =MONTH(A1) - copy this formula for all rows - sort with this helper column -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Kathy wrote: > Need to sort birthdates by month and day; ignore year. > > Ex: > Would like to sort like list below: >...

shading behind text
I would like to place white text within a box of gray shading. When I use the 'background' function, it shades the entire document. How do I limit the background to a line of text? thanks Ken Depending on your preference I can think of at least 3 ways, but they all may not be available to you... or instructions may vary. It depends on what version of Word you're using & you haven't even indicated whether it's Windows or Mac. Since you posted to the Mac Word group I'll assume you're using a Mac version & further that it is the most current (2008):...

How to get the text of each selection?
Hi, Dear All We can use Ctrl key and mouse to multi-select range in a document, but if somebody could tell me how to get the text of each selection? Cheers! osen Sorry, it is not really possible. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=288424. The closest you can come is to use Selection.Copy, then open a new blank document and paste. The individual pieces will be separated by paragraph marks, but you can't distinguish between those and any paragraph marks that might have been in the middle of some pieces. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FA...

Text Search in for the field of memo does not workd
hello, Here is my VBA, but does not work for text search in my textbox search. Private Sub Txtcari_AfterUpdate() Dim strSQL As String strFilter = "([Nota] LIKE """ & "*" & Me.Txtcari & "*" & """)" Me.Filter = strFilter Me.FilterOn = True CurrentDb.Execute strSQL, dbFailOnError End Sub Thanks in advance for your help. -- H. Frank Situmorang You've declared strSQL, and you attempt to use its content with the Execute method, but you haven't assigned anything to it. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access M...

Further Info on changing text in one cell to to criteria of another.
I have a workbook that charts the progress of my clients. One of m cells automatically determines their age, and when they become olde than six, I need another cell's text to automatically change to "AO (standing for "Aged Out" of my program). I cannot us the functio =IF(A1>6,"AO"," ") because I already have the clients status imputed i that cell. I need it to be a type of conditional formatting or VB cod so that it will automatically change once the reach 6. I have attache an example of my workbook. It has a VB code that changes the row colo based on ...