Step Line Charts

Does anyone know how I can create a step line chart without having to have 2 data points per x-axis point.  What I want is a horizontal line until the next data point and then I want the line to go vertical.
0
anonymous (74717)

Hi Carrie,

You Will need some form of extra data to get excel to create a step
chart. Take a look at these methods.
(http://www.andypope.info/charts/stepchart.htm)

--

Cheers
Andy

http://www.andypope.info

0
andy9699 (3616)
12/11/2003 4:31:41 PM
If you decide to go with a XY Scatter chart with error bars, you can
find step-by-step instructions at the Excel | Charts | 'Step Charts'
page of my web site.

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <197613B4-F3AA-49E8-842D-203C66308FAE@microsoft.com>,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Does anyone know how I can create a step line chart without having to have 2 data points per x-axis point.  What I want is a horizontal line until the next data point and then I want the line to go vertical.

Overlay bar charts
I need to graph a bar chart with conditional colors and then overlay another series of bars which also have conditional coloring. I can only figure out how to get one set of conditional bars with diferent colors, but not the 2nd series. Hi, Have a look at these site on conditional chart formating. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html http://www.edferrero.com/charting.aspx Cheers Andy glennr wrote: > I need to graph a bar chart with conditional colors and then overlay another > series of bars which also have conditional coloring. > > I can only fi...

Working with lines
How do you cut/crop/remove sections of a line? I am using the line tool to create lines with several turns. I am discovering after the fact that out I went too far on some of the lines and need to crop some of the turns I made. Thanks for look at my post. Hi John, There are some Boolean Operations that will help you slice and dice. Look under: Shape > Operations. Trim will cut lines at their intersections. Fragment will slice areas from lines and shapes. Union puts areas together. ... -- Hope this helps, Chris Roth Visio MVP Free Visio shapes: http://www.visguy.com/category/sh...

How do I display a formula calculation in plot area of a chart?
I want to add a text box in the chart that returns the value from a formula that was entered on the data page. The formula value is not related to any series value. WiseGuyOne: You need to build your text expression in a cell, then insert that expression to the chart. First, to build your text expression: 1. Select your cell 2. Enter = first to let Excel =know you are adding a formula 3. You can now enter text within quotes and cell values .. here's an example =" Yesterdays average temperature was " & sheet1!$a$3 Note that the & is used to add ...

Suddenly I cannot hear other person with Windows Line Messenger 20
I am using Windows 7 Pro and suddenly I cannot hear the other person when using Windows Live Messenger 2009 (Build 14.0.8089.726). Skype works fine. Messenger worked fine. Could this be an update that caused this it happen? Greetings Oliver, Any updates of software/hardware on your contacts' side? Also and most importantly, is the green bar on the left moving at all (showing volume level) when you've initiated a conversation or not? Just a starting a point, both you and your contact may want to go through the Audio and video setup to make sure the correct sound devic...

Using a Named Range for Data Source In A Chart
I am trying to create a chart that picks up the last 12 months of data I have created a named range called Test. Test refers to =OFFSET(Sheet1!$B$1,1,Sheet1!$C$1,2,12) When Sheet1!C1 changes the range location changes. I have created a column chart using Test as the Data Source, and that works fine when I first build the Chart. When I change the content of Sheet1!C1 from 1 to 2 (for example), I expected the Chart to change but it does not. I have to go back into the Data Source of the Chart and type =Test in order for the chart to change. My question is there any way to have the chart aut...

EConnect Po Line Entry
I am receiving the following error from the taPoLine stored proc. Error Number = 445 Stored Procedure taPoLine Error Description = Invalid Account Index can anyone point me in the right direction of where to look in GP to update the account index ...

AppsPro XY Chart Labeler functionality
Hi Does anyone know if the AppsPro XY Chart Labeler is able to dynamically update data point labels on a chart if the data in the 'label' cells changes? I would like to know before I install the .exe file. I have an XY chart with 256 data points derived from a 'master' formula with various inputs. If I change an input, the data point values will change and so will the associated labels. Many thanks Hi, The link to the cell will remain. So if you have a point linked to A1 and change the contents of A1 the data label will update. You can test this by doing it manuall...

Interactive Chart?
Hello, I need to create an interactive Excel Line Graph. What I need to do is be able to click on a datapoint on the graph an have it take me to the data specific to that point. For instance if I have a chart that shows how many phone calls ar taken in a week I want to be able to click on a datapoint specific t the day and be taken to the information for that day. Any Advice? SQL FR -- squishyfro ----------------------------------------------------------------------- squishyfrog's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3268 View this thread: http://w...

Off-line Mode
What tables are used in off-line mode? Dan hi Click on link and read about the tables I posted http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/Newsgroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?query=tables&dg=microsoft.public.pos&cat=&lang=en&cr=US&pt=&catlist=8d3f188d-a0E9-40e4-86e2-46508a35c759&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us AccountReceivable AccountReceivableHistory Batch Register Configuration CalendarEvent DailySales DropPayout Import ImportEntry InventoryTransferLog Journal Message NonTenderTransaction OldJournal [Order] OrderEntry OrderHistory P...

Help with charts.
I'm creating a mail merge in Word, using a large Excel data source. The file contains multiple names, with various associated data. I want to create an individualized chart for each name, using data associated with their name in the Excel data source file. One customized chart per name, merged into the Word document. Can this be done. I cannot figure out how to merge data into a chart.--- or is there a better way? Please help if you can.. In article <5A0A45FF-B5F8-44DC-9924-A7ACCA0ED26E@microsoft.com>, HRassist@discussions.microsoft.com says... > I'm creating a mai...

Excel 2007 Chart Colors
I posted this a few days ago and no one has responded. Does anyone know how to manipulate the colors of a chart in Excel 2007??? I have the following code that was written in Excel 2003. Every time I run it in Excel 2007 it crashes. I can't find anything about changing the colors of a series in an Excel 2007 chart. Also, when I try to record a macro to change the chart colors to gain insight, nothing gets written to the macro regarding the color change. Help! Sheets("Chart1").SeriesCollection(1).Interior.ColorIndex = 5 You received two replies. It appears...

stop chart series from updating
I have created a chart and now want to change the data it uses as the source, BUT I do not want my original chart to update as I want to create a different chart. Does anyone know to freeze the chart so it is no longer linked to the cells? One way would be to take a picture of the chart as it is now. Click the chart; hold Shift key down; use menu item Edit and select Copy Picture; use As displayed; then use Paste command to paste picture on worksheet or in a Word Doc, etc. Another way is to delink the chart. Click of a data series in the chart, look in Formula Bar and you see somethin...

Email address line question
When i click create new mail, i then type the name of the recipient in the "too" field, outlook prompts me for a few of its suggested comtacts. The wierd thing is alot of these sugesstions are old contact information that has either changed or no longer exists. How do i clear this history?? Please help Eli Remove individual addresses from the autocompletion cache by highlighting the entry when presented in the suggested names list (use your arrow key to migrate to the entry) and then hitting your Delete key before you tab out of the field. To clear the entire cache, follo...

Prevent Excel chart flicker,when plots are linked to DDE data
I am using Excel 2003 to display an XY plot on a chart. The plot updates continuously to display real-time information to an equipment operator. The chart data series, on another sheet, receive their information continuously, twice a second, through a DDE connection. Whenever the chart updates, the chart has an annoying flicker. (The chart might be displaying a white background, then re-displaying the updated plots). Curiously, a textbox on the chart also updates some real-time data. Rather than flickering, the data simply changes in the textbox. I would hope that the plot could be ma...

Highlighting a line/arc
I want to highlight a line segment or an arc segment which I draw in the view. I thought of drawing the highlighting first with a thicker pen using the highlight color and then drawing the actual line or arc over it. The same draw code can do both highlighting as well as drawing the actual line or arc symbol. The problem comes when I have a line / arc with the maximum width (10). Since I cannot create a thicker pen/brush to draw the highlighting, these can't be highlighted. I appreciate if you could share any ideas or suggestions on how to highlight the thickest line / arc segme...

Eliminate "white space" at edge of area chart data series
I have a stacked area chart, and while the data is plotted just fine, to the left and right of the plotted data series, is "white space" (looks like my area chart has cliff on either side). Any way to make the area chart fill in the space between the Y axis, and the right side of the plot area? Thanks! Patk Hi, xl2003. Double click X axis and on Scale tab uncheck Value (Y) axis crosses between categories. xl2007. Right click X axis > Format Axis. Axis Options > Position Axis: > On tick marks. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope...

How to get second signature line back on our cheques
Our cheques have two signature lines printed. After our recent upgrade to 9.0, one line has vanished. How do we get it back? are you using Mekorma's Micr? If so, go into the check configurator, and re-add the signature. "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:22B53C6B-32D9-44B4-9637-E18BB7220B9A@microsoft.com... > Our cheques have two signature lines printed. After our recent upgrade to > 9.0, one line has vanished. How do we get it back? Yes we are using Mekorma's Micr, How do I go into the check configurator? "Mike G&qu...

How to see the chart coding?
Hi, I have one chart Which was created by some other person. I need coding for this chart. Can i see the chart coding? Because I have to draw the same chart in to another some sheets with out using copy paste method. And i have to build the same chart dynamically. So i need full coding for that chart. Pls help me. How to see the coding for that chart? In this page has no macros. Thanks. Ram. -- ramkumar_cpt ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ramkumar_cpt's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28673 View this ...

Customize Subject Line
I have created a "submit" button on an Excel form in order to 'send-to' a particular mailbox (through Outlook). I need to include a customized subject line (pulling a person's name into the subject line). This particular form is a MAC form and would always include a person's name, not necessarily the person submitting the MAC form. Is there a way to do this? Thanks! -- terezakat ------------------------------------------------------------------------ terezakat's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25576 View this thread:...

Changing size of chart area
How do I reduce the size of the chart area? I've made the plot area smaller and would like to decrease the white space in the chart area. Many thanks. Select the chart, and drag on the handles on the chart's edges and corners. You should do this before changing the plot area, because Excel tries to rescale things proportionally. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Dinz wrote: > How do I reduce the size of the chart area? I've made > the plot area smaller and would ...

Read only command line switch
Oh wise ones, Excel 2003 XP Pro I would like to force a workbook to open read only. I have followed the directions in the help section, but I must be doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated. The workbook is on a shared network drive here; S:\common\Lab\Job Aids\Golive.xls I created a shortcut and edited the target like below, but windows says it's invalid. "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE /r S:\common\Lab\Job Aids\Golive.xls" Thanks, Mike When you have spaces in your paths, you have to surround each of them with double quotes:...

step in-between printer (LPT)
I need to develop some software that will step in between a computer and it's printer. The software should read from one LPT port (connected to printing computer) and then redirect that traffic out a second LPT port (connected to printer). It will do stuff to the data as it goes by. Can you give me any direction on what is needed to develop this? How do I read/write to/from the LPT port in Windows? Are there any libraries available that can manage the communications? Do I need to develop a driver to do this? Thanks! werdna.sivad@gmail.com wrote: <snip> > develop this? Ho...

Loosing lines from rpt file when using acOutputReport with acForma
I have created a standard Access report called rptInternalNotification that uses seperator lines to differentiate various subtotal levels. When I use the following command to export the file to RTF, the text portion comes out exactly the same in the RTF file, but the lines have disappeared. DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputReport, "rptInternalNotification", acFormatRTF, _ MFIN_Path & "Internal Notification Report - " & ReportPeriod & ".rtf", True Any thoughts on how to solve this? Thanks. -- Bob Lemay Unfortunately, that's the way it is. Graphi...

Formating Text in the Subject Line
I've received emails where the text is in red, italics, etc. Can anyone tell me how this is done? Thanks! Mitche It's a View with Automatic Formatting - simple formatting rules can be created using Tools, Organize or use the Define view dialog on the View menu to create complex rules. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: htt...

Excel should allow chart axes to be set from sheet data.
I often chart account balances where I have x axis of dates and y axis of monetary amounts. It would be helpful if there was a facility to allow the x axis minimum and maximum to be set to some value as calculated from the data itself (or even calculated using a formula). I like to keep a "rolling" picture of the last three months (so, today()-90 to today()) and the next three months (today() to today() + 90) (on two separate charts). I have to manually update the x axis's minimum and maximum each day. you can set up formulas in cells to calculated your desired max/mins a...