Standard deviations in Excel

Can I show different standard deviations on each chart point. Seems pretty
worhless if I can't. WHose data ever has the same SD for each mean??
0
FredZack (11)

Are your chart points averages of individual points?   If you want to
display the standard deviation of the data used to define the average on the
chart, you can use the XY Chart Labeler add in by Rob Bovey.

http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm

If it were me, I'd probably create an X bar S type chart.

"Fred Zack" <FredZack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can I show different standard deviations on each chart point. Seems pretty
> worhless if I can't. WHose data ever has the same SD for each mean??

0
breinhardt (272)
6/14/2005 5:15:12 PM
Fred -

Suppose your X data are in column A and your Y data in column B. Put the
standard deviations behind each Y value into the corresponding cell in
column C. (You can also use the X standard deviations as well).

Make the chart. Double click the series, and on the Y Error Bars tab,
click in the Custom Plus box, then select the range of StDev values in
column C, and repeat for the Custom Minus box. You could even plot
different positive and negative error bar lengths.

More on error bars:

   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ErrorBars.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Fred Zack wrote:

> Can I show different standard deviations on each chart point. Seems pretty
> worhless if I can't. WHose data ever has the same SD for each mean??

Can u Import Macintosh 2.1 Excel file into Windows Office 2000?
I have Excel spreadsheet generated on Macintosh Verson 2.1. Can this file be imported into Excel Office 2000, on Windows XP? ...

CRM to Excel Error
Hi, Doing an export of an advanced find to Excel. When I do the export as a static query it works fine. However, when I do a dynamics worksheet or pivot table, one field always comes in blank. This is a picklist field I created and added to the form. The field header comes in fine to excel but no data. Any suggestions as to what is happening here? Alan Hello Alan, have you a solution for your problem? we have the same problem with and can't find a solution. Regards Andreas "Alan Whitehouse" wrote: > Hi, > > Doing an export of an advanced find to Excel...

Sending one mail to addresses from Excel file
I have an excel file with email addresses. Periodically I need to send all of these these people an email, so I need one mail where the 'To' field is filled with all the email addresses. What is the best way to automate this? Can I perhaps make a macro in Excel that opens Outlook and creates the mail? Thanks for any help. John Hi John Do you want to send only text or a file ? -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm <johnie@johnie.com> wrote in message news:fkimam$28al$1@textnews.wanadoo.nl... >I have an excel file with email addresses. Periodica...

how to auto insert rows in Excel
Hello I have a huge excel worksheet that I need to insert rows and subtotal between sections. For example: Class 11 Class 11 Class 11 Subtotal Class 12 Class 12 Class 12 Subtotal How can I automatically do this? Right now, the manual intervention takes a 1/2 day! Thanks for any insights tg Tanya Have you taken a look at Data>Subtotals? -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "TanyaG" <TanyaG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:193BE600-7B71-4661-A20D-780E71B7972F@microsoft.com... > ...

Manufacturing Standard Cost
Hello, We are running GP 8.0 SP 2 with Manufacturing. We have a standard cost revalution journal entry is there a way to find which standard cost changes make up this journal entry? Thanks for any help you can provide. -- Thanks, Brian ...

excel doc suddenly shows up unexpectedtly
An excel document showed up in my docs labeled envelopes and labels with all my outlook contact info in it. Im wondering how this happened, since its nothing I did. Does anyone know if this cause for alarm or not. Have I been hacked? As a side note, I have been trying to get this info. into envelopes and labels contact sheet with no success. Thanks ...

Multiply two columns in Excel or one column by one number
I am a beginner at this. Using Excel, all I want to do is to multiply 2 columns together to give a third column. For example, a list of numbers in column A against a list of numbers in column B to produce a column C - (A2 times B2 to equal a number C2)) or to multiply all the numbers in one column (like "calories" or A2-A18) times one number (like 0.2) to produce a third column. I tried to do this but the results replaced the numbers. and to multiply one column times two other numbers. I'm going nuts (I'm swearing all over and I don't usually swear) trying ...

Scan into Excel
I am seeking advice as to the least expensive scanner/ ocr software that will be easy to scan tables, etc into Excel. All comments appreciated. Also posted G list -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software Granite Shoals, TX donaldb@281.com Don't know if you already have the scanner or not. The cheapest route might be to purchase a scanner on one of those rebate deals where you buy a supposedly US$179 scanner for $29 (extreme range). Many of the scanners include TextBridge (by Xerox) that will convert text in tables to an Excel sheet. The catch is that most of the scanner boxes do not...

HIPAA Standards
Hello, Does Microsoft Dynamics CRM support HIPAA Standards for electronic transactions ? Take care, Dave Hi, MS CRM dont provide HIPAA built in functionality. Biztalk may provide it and MS CRM can be integrated with Biztalk. -- PLEASE do click on Yes or No button if this post was helpful or not for our feedback. uMar Khan Email for direct contact: imumar at gmail dot com "Dave Banerjee" wrote: > Hello, > > Does Microsoft Dynamics CRM support HIPAA Standards for electronic > transactions ? > > Take care, > Dave > No, CRM does not provide any...

In excel, how do you convert to caps?
How to I convert the spreadsheet to be all in caps? I'd use a macro like Chip Pearson's: http://cpearson.com/excel/case.htm If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm excel issue wrote: > > How to I convert the spreadsheet to be all in caps? -- Dave Peterson ...

Windows ME and excel compatibility Help!!!!!
I am in urgent need of some help!!! I have Windows Millenium on my computer and this came with Microsoft works. I hate it! It does not contain microsoft excel for some reason, only microsoft works spreadsheet. This program is horrible and will not do any of the functions that excel does. Does anyone know what I need to do to get some sort of version of excel 97? I see that you can get excel 2003 (very expensive) but I just need the oldest version that is compatible with most excel files out there. I am ina frantic state because I recently signed up for an online class that requi...

Quick Help with my Excell problem Please
Hi Guys, Ok, I´┐Żll try to explain this as clear a possible. I have created a training log for me as I go to the gym. Each day want to fill it in with the time I was in there, reps, weights etc after I have input this I want a button on the sheet that says Update Save. I want this button to remove the specific cells (reps,weight etc and place it on another worksheet this way I have it logged on th correct worksheet for what split I am doing. Check the attachment. I have made the writing RED for what I want transferring to the othe worksheet. thank Attachment filename: h...

Hyperlink to specific excel sheet from powerpoint or Word
Can we create a hyperlink to a particular sheet (or a defined range) in a excel document from powerpoint / word?? ~Yogendra Yogendra Yes. Insert > Hyperlink and type something like this C:\Dick\NG\02 Feb\Book1.xls#Sheet1!A10 Everything after the # is called the subaddress and determines where in the sheet the link goes. -- Dick Kusleika Excel MVP Daily Dose of Excel www.dicks-blog.com yogendra.joshi@gmail.com wrote: > Can we create a hyperlink to a particular sheet (or a defined range) > in a excel document from powerpoint / word?? > > ~Yogendra ...

Filters in Excel
I have a very large workbook (55MB) and am using AutoFilters everywhere. Sometimes they just lock up and I need to undo the filters and reset them. Sometimes, they crash the application. Any thoughts? Thanks. >I have a very large workbook (55MB) > Any thoughts? When you have files that large you're asking for problems! Biff "Chris Lo" <ChrisLo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F60AABD9-C832-4B08-9EF2-B4AFC18BF970@microsoft.com... >I have a very large workbook (55MB) and am using AutoFilters everywhere. > Sometimes they just lock up and ...

Excel data consolidation question
I had a question -- I have a series of lists of users based on a userid text string and their name, some of which are duplicates. What i've done is import the lists into excel and then do a sort by userid. Additionally, I made a note of which database they're each in, using a different column for each of the four databases. I first copied all of the entries from "users1" and then copied "users1" into every row as column C. Next, I copied the "users2" list and for those, put "user2" in column D...and so on up to users4. Now, what I want to do is...

Excel cube functions
Hello, i really like or to be honest i am excited about the cube functions in excel 2007 and excel 2010. I can't wait to create workbooks with these formulars and publish them in Excel Services. I am missing 3 things(in order of priority) -a built in function called mdx(): should return the unique name of an element function mdx(r as range) mdx = r.mdx ... -if cubevalue returns null the cell should contain nothing; yet an empty string will is returned. -properties should return standard properties(e.g. level, ordinal) as well. Thank you very much for li...

How do I create a hyperlink to a web page in Excel?
How do I create a hyperlink to a web page in Excel? I click on Insert/Hyperlink. Click the on the "Browse the Web" button and slect a web site. After creating the hyperlink, I am unable to open the hyperlink. I get a error message box saying, "Unable to open. Unable to locate Internet server or Proxy server". Try copying the webpage address and pasting it into a cell. With the cell selected, press F2 and Enter and it will create the hyperlink for you. HTH -- Sincerely, Michael Colvin "Olowalu" wrote: > How do I create a hyperlink to a web page i...

Excel crashes immediately upon startup
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel excel seems to crash every time I try to start it up. several excel files I've tried to load immediately flash up, load for a brief second, and then excel crashes and asks to report a problem. I've tried removing preferences, reinstalling, removing old install receipts, even transferring my user to a clean system with no success. I've updated with the most recent version and still no success. the problem is within my user account, as excel starts fine in a test user. However with the amount of docume...

A Form To Feed An Excel Worksheet
Hi. I'm creating an Excel worksheet in Excel 2007. It is going to be a mini-database with names and addresses, etc. to feed into a Word 2007 mail merge. Typing in all the data in the Excel worksheet is going to be tedious. I'm wondering if there is something equivalent to a "form" that you can create in Access. In Access, a "form" is something with fields that you can group in a convenient order on the "page" of the form, and then you can tab through them and type in data. I think one could create such a thing in Access, and feed an Access database....

Creating typed dataset from an industry standard schema
Has anyone run into problems creating typed datasets from complex schemas? I am attempting to create a Typed Dataset in Visual Studio .Net from a .xsd schema file for a industry standard web service. I have run the schema through XML Spy and validated it with no errors, but when attempting to generate a dataset, I keeping getting a 'undefined data type' error. The schema is quite large so I don't know if that is causing the problem or if it is just something odd about .Net's parser. Here is the section of the schema causing the problem. There are only two spots where the...

Excel formula
I have 3 columns, one (A) is a list of countries, the second (B) is a list of the continents they are in and the final (C) is the years in which that country was visited. I want to be able to count the (B) column only if it has a year in the (C) column. Eg there might be 100 countries in column (A), 20 of which are in Europe(indicated in column (B) but only 10 have a year next to them in column (C) I want to work out in a seperate cell how many European countries have been visited .....hope that makes sense!!! --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ something like =sumproduct((...

standard deviation
I am making a simple bar graph with two data sets that I want to compare. I want to have the error bars represent the SD rather than % or something else. All I can get it to do is put the same bars on both data sets, which is not correct. I have calculate the SD and know that it is not the same for both sets. Any help would be appreciated. Clem In both XL 2003 and XL 2007 it is possible to use a column of data fro your error bars (actually two columns: one for positive, another for negative) Have a look again in the dialog. If needed come back but tell us what version of E...

Handling concurrent access with excel spreadsheets
We have a scenario in my group where one user may be updating a spreadsheet, and 3 or 4 others may be accessing it in read-only mode at the same time. When all is said and done, it is not uncommon for nobody to be able to get into the sheet in update mode, even after all users who had been in the sheet have exited. This seemed to become an issue with the introduction of Windows XP. Short of trying to convince people to only go in one at a time, does anyone have any concurrent access tips to offer? Or, is there a way to inquire on all enqueues against a given sheet and then ...

Making Distribution From Excel
I have a need to make Outlook 2000 distribution Lists from an excel spreadsheet. I tried using the import function, but got the DL imported as contacts instead. Is there an easy way to import an excel spreadsheet (or .txt or .csv) file as a true distribution list? Regards, Frank ...

Excel Integration
I am automating the entry of a sales invoice spreadsheet from excel into dynamics using sanscript code in the Excel VBA module (which works fine), but having a problem posting the nominal ledger codes in the distributions scrolling window. Do you have some sample code to demonstrate how to move "down" to the second line of the grid. ie How do you define the line numbers for the field names ? Thanks for any help ...