Stacking data from within a series within a bar chart

Hi there,

For a stacked bar chart (not the 100% stacked bar chart), is there a
way to stack the data within a series and make each series a different
bar within the bar chart, instead of vice versa which appears to be
the Excel default (e.g. In Excel, the highlighted values for a series
become separate bars, and each subsequent series is stacked upon this
preceding series dependent upon the order of the highlighted values)?
If not, can I move around my bars so that some are more adjacent to
particular bars and not so close to others?

If this isn't clear, I've tried to specify my issue below, but it
might make things even more confusing:

I am trying to compare two different series of data (ex. red and blue)
in 3x2 different categories (ex. light red, medium red, dark red,
light blue, medium blue, and dark blue) all in one stacked bar chart.
This should create 6 total bars for each color type, where two bars
are adjacent to each other for each of the light, medium, and dark
categories (ex. the stacked bar for light red would be adjacent to
light blue, and medium red would be next to medium blue etc.). I
should mention that each group (ex. light blue, medium red, etc.) has
5 different values, which are independent across groups, and it is
these values that are being stacked within each bar.

Hope this is clear! If not, sorry for wasting your time.

Thanks,

Hos

0
kbrownk (5)

Each point within a series in a bar, column, or line chart correspond to a
different category; points within a series cannot be stacked. You have to
rearrange the data so that items in the same level are in the same series
and items in the same stack are in the same row, then plot series by column.
To get the different colors, and to combine clustered and stacked items, you
should look at the links on this page:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Hosley" <kbrownk@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> For a stacked bar chart (not the 100% stacked bar chart), is there a
> way to stack the data within a series and make each series a different
> bar within the bar chart, instead of vice versa which appears to be
> the Excel default (e.g. In Excel, the highlighted values for a series
> become separate bars, and each subsequent series is stacked upon this
> preceding series dependent upon the order of the highlighted values)?
> If not, can I move around my bars so that some are more adjacent to
> particular bars and not so close to others?
>
> If this isn't clear, I've tried to specify my issue below, but it
> might make things even more confusing:
>
> I am trying to compare two different series of data (ex. red and blue)
> in 3x2 different categories (ex. light red, medium red, dark red,
> light blue, medium blue, and dark blue) all in one stacked bar chart.
> This should create 6 total bars for each color type, where two bars
> are adjacent to each other for each of the light, medium, and dark
> categories (ex. the stacked bar for light red would be adjacent to
> light blue, and medium red would be next to medium blue etc.). I
> should mention that each group (ex. light blue, medium red, etc.) has
> 5 different values, which are independent across groups, and it is
> these values that are being stacked within each bar.
>
> Hope this is clear! If not, sorry for wasting your time.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Hos

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Refreshing all data imports on different sheets from the same file at the same time
I am importing a text file that has a lot more than 256 columns. The data will be updated weekly with a different text file. I know how to get past the 256 column limit when importing a text file like this. This link explains the method I am using to import the text file. http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/as...548201033.aspx Since I am importing onto several sheets I get the dialogue box asking me to choose a file to import from for every sheet when I use RefreshAll. The same file that is used by the first sheet will be used by the rest of the sheets. Each sheet just imports a different sectio...

Group Data
Hi All, I have the following data Office January 2005 February 2005 ..... sales Collection Sales Collection A 1000 500 2000 2500 B 2000 1500 2500 1500 etc How can I get a bar chart based on Month Sales/Collection ? When I take all data grouped together (sales and collection) without grouping them!!??? thanks dO YOU WANT SOMETHING LIKE THIS? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;218153 (sorry about the caps) <Melepoil@gmail.com> wrote ...

Stacked bars with textlegends in each stacked bar
Hi Group I wonder if this can be done. Data like this A | 0 | 3 B | 3 | 0 C | 2 | 3 1' column is legend 2' column is values to Y axis (this shoul have "1" (first stacked bar) on the X axis) 3' column is values to Y axis (this shoul have "2" (second stacked bar) on the X axis) Here I would like to have 2 stacked bars Each have legend inside bar IF value is more than 0 That would say in this case ___ ___ | | | | A | | B |___| |___| | | | C | | C | | 1 2 Hobe I explained so that you guys undetstand :-) cheers ...

Formula bar #2
I am using XL 97. i know that i can hide the cell entry by using the ;;; format, but the entry still displays in the formula bar. Is there a way to allow data entry in a cell, but have the entry not show in the formula bar. I want the formula bar itself to be visible. thanks Billy First make the cell invisible by using the ";;;" format. Then choose the "protection" tab in the same dialog and select "hidden" checkbox. You can uncheck the "Locked" checkbox if you want to allow the user to enter data in the cell. Then protect the sheet using Tools...

Stacked column with line chart
I have a chart which shows units gained above the axis, units disposed of in a column under the axis and net units as a line. I have trend lines on 3 months average for both the units gained and disposed of. I am now being asked to show units massed moved under the line stacked on the diposal units. How do I accomplish this? I looked for a custom graph in Excel and cannot find one to do what I want. Can anyone help me? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Draw your own custom chart. For an existing chart, right click on it, select Source Data from the pop up menu, and click...

Purge data in CRM
We are using our crm system now for training purpose. We have migrated about 10000 accounts and releted information from the old system so that users can see their data while trying to get familiar with the system. Very soon we will go live and then we will need to delete all the data (basically, clean up the database) and migrate the data from the old system again to start using CRM. My question is, what is the easiest way to clean the data that we have now? Thanks in Advance There is no built in way to purge old data. The usual method would be to take a back of the original database...

How select all data points/data labels at once (to format)?
Hi, I know this is possible as I sometimes do it by accident(!), but how do you select all data points/data labels in a graph at once so that you don't have to select each point/label individually in order to format? cheers!, R You can select an entire series at once. Select something different in a chart, then click once on the series to select all points (not all points will be highlighted if there is more than a nontrivial number of points in the series). Or click once on a label to select all the labels in the series. A second single click on a point or a label will select on...

Pivot Chart
I have a pivot chart (standard column chart). I can do a "format axis" on the x-axis and change the alignment of the labels on the axis. However when I "Show data table" from the Chart Options, I am not able the change the alignment of the labels anymore. Is there a way to do this? I am using Excel 2000, and I tried with no success Excel 2003. Thanks! Data Tables are often frustrating. Alternatives are shown on Tushar Mehta's site (http://tushar-mehta.com) and John Mansfield's blog (http://pdbook.com/index.php/excel/ and use Search). - Jon ------- Jon Pel...

Comparing Data Between Worksheets
I have 1 Workbook with 2 seperate sheets. On Sheet 1 Column A is about 13500 par numbers on Sheet 2 Column A is about 12500 Part numbers and Column B is Item Name. How can I compare Sheet1 Column A to Sheet 2 Column A? How can I compare Sheet 1 Column A to Sheet 2 Column A and then see the ones that are not the same? Can I have excel match Sheet 1 Column A to Sheet 2 Column A and if they match brng the information in Column B over to sheet 1 for the matches? Or am I asking for to much? in sheet1 B1 =if(iserror(vlookup(A1,Sheet2!A:B,2,false)),"no match",vlookup(A1,Sheet2!A...

How do I only add every other month to my chart
I have totals for each month for several years, but I would like to just show every other month on my chart. Is this possible, if so can you explain. Thanks! EXCEL 2007. I don't know how realistic this is as I have not seen your data but one possibility is that you could set it up as a Pivot Chart. In the PivotChart Filter Pane you can then select / de-select whichever time frames you like. Please hit yes if my comments have helped. Thanks. "kmt1984" wrote: > I have totals for each month for several years, but I would like to just show &...

Stack overflow question
Occassionally when on Facebookwith MSIE if I have 2 instance of Facebook open (Different pages) I will get an error message of "Stack Overflow at Line: 31". When I click OK the page finishes loading fine. Any suggestions as to what is going on? Running: <<< System Summary >>> > Manufacturer : eMachines Inc. > Mainboard : eMachines WMCP61M > Chipset : nVidia GeForce 6100V > Processor : AMD Athlon Neo MV 26 @ 1600 MHz > Physical Memory : 4096 MB (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM ) > Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ...

Excel Data Protection Best Practice: AKA: Real Sheet Protection
Hello- Any advice for best practices for protecting data/methods/macros within Excel? Clearly, password protecting a sheet isn't the best security (free utilities to crack it). Scenario: - I need users to be able to access the workbook, but by no means, gain access to data within the certain sheets - I can hide the data by utilizing similar colored text and hiding the rows/columns - Once the password is created, it appears there are tons of free utilities that remove these passwords- Bummer. Question: - Any advice to help prevent the utilities from doing this?...

Moving within a range, using a macro!!
I have a macro that says, Range("B1").Select, now I want to move within a range automatically,and I want to be able to exit by hitting the ESC button. The spreadsheet looks like this: A B C D 1 Beginning 10000 10000 10000 2 Today's 3 Total 10000 10000 10000 4 Sales There are more lines to this, but this is the general idea, I would like to move to the right and skip a line and move down to the next empty cell, or exit. Why do you need to move to the cell? Selections are usually NOT ...

duplicate data in range clear contents
Hi All, I have a range which V12:V18, data consistantly changes and there might be some duplications. I would like to find the duplicated data and just clear the duplications without deleting any row. Because those rows effecting other formulas.Is that possible? Thanks \\ Baha baha17@gmail.com;562078 Wrote: > Hi All, > I have a range which V12:V18, data consistantly changes and there > might be some duplications. I would like to find the duplicated data > and just clear the duplications without deleting any row. Because > those rows effecting other formulas....

Unable to load sample data
While running the Microsoft.Crm.DemoDataWizard.exe I'm getting the following error message: The server 'localhost' is not responding. This might happen if it is currently unavailable, it is not a Microsoft CRM server, or you do not have sufficient privileges to run the Sample Data Import Wizard. However, the web app runs fine. All the services are started. I'm logged in as an administrator. What could be wrong? I'm running on Windows 2003 Server. There is one strange this, which could have something to do with this. I've tried to install CRM a few times and I couldn&...

Stacked charts #4
Hi I want to to create a chart where the colour changes when ever a value is reached. Ex. I have a mashine that produces 1000 it's goal is 2000. The chart should then show a column that is red because it is under the goal. I also have a maschine that produces 3000 and the goal is 2000. The coloum should then change to green. Is it possible to make a chart like this in excel? Regards Ticotion On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, Ticotion <Ticotion@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I want to to create a chart where the colour changes when ever a value is &...

Setting hover data labels to cells other than source data
Hi and thanks in advance, I need a macro or something that will show a data label for a data source point when clicked or moved over by a mouse. I also need this data label to reference a different source than the source data used in the plot. For example, I am graphing a yield curve in relation to duration, however, instead of showing the x (duration) and y (yield) with the data label, I would like it to show the name of the instrument. x = column a, y = column b, instrument name = column c, for example. I have already tried using the tashar mehta macro for hovering data labels but it...

Store to HQ -- is there data encryption?
Hi, when a store communicates with HQ in RMS, is there built in data encryption? If not, are there ways to encrypt the data other than using VPN? Just wondering since it seems like most companies would sales/inventory to be confidential. just wondering. thanks! so no one knows whether data is encrypted when being passed over the internet between the Store and HQ? Kamal wrote: > Hi, when a store communicates with HQ in RMS, is there built in data > encryption? If not, are there ways to encrypt the data other than > using VPN? Just wondering since it seems like most companies...

How to custom the scroll bar?
I realized my scroll bar from CWnd, but i found it's difficult to disable the original scroll bars attached the specified window with style WS_VSCROLL or WS_HSCROLL, and the original scroll bars always be shown. But when I try to create the host window without style WS_VSCROLL and WS_HSCROLL, the scroll infomation will be not got properly. thanks! ...

Data export issues from Quickbooks
Hi, We are trying to migrate from Quickbooks to Great Plains. We are looking at various options in trying to extract data out of Quickbooks. 1. One of the options is export out through reports. However while exporting out transactions, here if an entry involves multiple accounts (called as SPLIT in Quickbooks), these accounts dont print on the reports unless you drill down. Has anyone encountered this situation. Any feedback on export of data out of Quickbooks will be appreciated (whether using reports or without it). Your export/import will be difficult and time consuming working...

I need a formula to determine when the data was last changed
First, thanks to all those that help users on this forum. I have found many answer to my questions on the office discussion groups. But, I need some assistance with this one. I have a sheet where I need to determine when the last update (count change) occured. The sheet contains data for weekly counts and I am trying to create a "last updated" and a "update amount" columns. I need to determine the date of the last change in the count for all the entities. (does C2=C3, then get the date from A3 and difference between C3 and C2 . All entities are counted ...

stack
Hi, I am writing a c application, but when I put a member inside a function I get stack overflow, the member is an array of struct: mytype tArray[30]; mytype is struct of this type: typedef struct{ int x[500]; int y[500]; long l;}mytype; what is the size of a c function stack? can I define the size of the stack? (I am using visual studio 6) Thanks. Dave wrote: > Hi, > I am writing a c application, but when I put a member inside a function I > get stack overflow, the member is an array of struct: mytype tArray[30]; > > mytype is struct of this type: typedef st...

Multiple charts in one sheet
I have about 30 to 40 charts in one sheet that i plot out on a large sheet of paper weekly. each time i open the file, all the charts have resized on their own. Sometimes all i have to do is go to print preview and return to that sheet and the charts have resized. how do i keep the charts from resizing? i have tried protecting the worksheet by selecting "objects". [This followup was posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting and a copy was sent to the cited author.] I believe MS has acknowleged this to be a problem with some versions of XL. Search support.microsoft.com ...

Excel XP web query
I've recently formatted my HD and re-installed XP and Office 2002/XP. After doing that, I checked my Excel web queries (error below was part of the reason for the reinstall) and they worked fine. After installing all the Critical and most of the recommeded XP (not Office, yet) updates, my web queries stopped working. Every web query I enter now returns the error message: Unable to open URL. The Internet site reports that a connection was established but the data is not available. The query options and properties are all left at their defaults. There's nothing fancy about the...

Creating an IE style Menu bar using a hybrid api ocx
Is it possible to create an ie style Menu bar using a either a hybrid of api and common controls ocx or pure api? here is the code I have tried to use: You will need one common controls 5 ToolBar on the form. Option Explicit Private Declare Function GetWindowLong Lib "user32" Alias "GetWindowLongA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal nIndex As Long) As Long Private Declare Function SetWindowLong Lib "user32" Alias "SetWindowLongA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal nIndex As Long, ByVal dwNewLong As Long) As Long Private Declare Function RegisterWindowMess...