space between y axis and data points..

I have a line graph with markers, and am plotting 7 pre-post (x axis) lines
on a y axis of 1 to 100.

By default, the "pre" points were plotted right on the y axis and the post
points were all the way at the right end of the plot area. I checked "Value
(y) axis crosses between categories", and this moves the pre (and post)
towards the middle of the plot area, so that the points are now plotted to
the right of the y axis.

My question is, can I adjust the space between the y axis and where the
"pre" data points are plotted? As they are now, there is too much of a gap
between the y axis and the "pre" data points.

Thanks.

0
daverx (100)

I've had to kludge this by using a dummy (continuous) series for X (say 1
for PRE and 2 for POST) and plotting that data.   I've set the X axis scale
as needed to get what I want and then used a procedure similar to that used
here:

http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DummySeries.html#VertCatAxis

to re-label the X-axis with the Character Info.

"Dave R." <daverx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a line graph with markers, and am plotting 7 pre-post (x axis)
lines
> on a y axis of 1 to 100.
>
> By default, the "pre" points were plotted right on the y axis and the post
> points were all the way at the right end of the plot area. I checked
"Value
> (y) axis crosses between categories", and this moves the pre (and post)
> towards the middle of the plot area, so that the points are now plotted to
> the right of the y axis.
>
> My question is, can I adjust the space between the y axis and where the
> "pre" data points are plotted? As they are now, there is too much of a gap
> between the y axis and the "pre" data points.
>
> Thanks.

0
breinhardt (271)
1/7/2005 8:56:33 PM
Good thinking Barb, I'll give that a shot.

0
daverx (100)
1/7/2005 9:25:45 PM
Dave -

An alternative is to insert a row/column between the before and after data, so you
have three categories, and the before and after points are farther apart. The blanks
mean there's no label for this category, and if you use the (Tools menu - Options -
Chart tab) Interpolate option for Plot Blank Cells, the line will still connect the
endpoints.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Dave R. wrote:

> I have a line graph with markers, and am plotting 7 pre-post (x axis) lines
> on a y axis of 1 to 100.
>
> By default, the "pre" points were plotted right on the y axis and the post
> points were all the way at the right end of the plot area. I checked "Value
> (y) axis crosses between categories", and this moves the pre (and post)
> towards the middle of the plot area, so that the points are now plotted to
> the right of the y axis.
>
> My question is, can I adjust the space between the y axis and where the
> "pre" data points are plotted? As they are now, there is too much of a gap
> between the y axis and the "pre" data points.
>
> Thanks.

How to sort colored data
People keep giving me large reports and highlighting the pertinent rows or changing the color of the text. Unfortunately I have now way to sort or filter to consolidate just the row with the red text or cell color. What are my options? Bob See http://cpearson.com/excel/SortByColor.htm In article <3F3CF8FE-3490-4080-B435-483AA4508F26@microsoft.com>, Bob <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > People keep giving me large reports and highlighting the pertinent rows or > changing the color of the text. Unfortunately I have now way to sort or > filter to consoli...

Importing vcalendar data to multiple users
I'm running Exchange 5.5. Several times a year I have to create a large group of users. I'd like to be able to pre-populate each user's calendar with pertinent calendar events. Is there a way to import this type of data in batch mode? See if http://www.slipstick.com/calendar/holidays.htm#company helps. ME wrote: > I'm running Exchange 5.5. Several times a year I have to create a > large group of users. I'd like to be able to pre-populate each user's > calendar with pertinent calendar events. > > Is there a way to import this type of data in batch...

Paragraph spacing is off
I copied an article from online and pasted into word. The article was single spaced, with a double space between paragraphs. In word, I attempted to change it to double spacing, but there is a triple space between paragraphs. I've tried to get rid of the triple space between paragraphs, but I can't. I want it all to be double spaced, within paragraphs and between paragraphs. How can I get this to happen? Help please! On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 13:49:01 -0800, gfswolf <gfswolf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I copied an article from online and pasted into word....

data comparison
I have a sheet with a list of part numbers and the time it takes to make each part. On another sheet, I have a list of part numbers with the quanity due and and due date. I am trying to find out a way to calculate the total hours need to make all parts in a given week, month, quarter, etc... ...

Rookie question : Writing edited form data (gridview) to XML
using Visual Studio 2005 C# ASP.NET I know there has to be a simple way to do this....I want to use C# in a code behind for aspx. Populate a GridView from an xml file Add Fields to the GridView to allow entry of quantity and Y/N switch for each row Write contents of GridView to new xml file. Example... xml file that populates gridview cols: <items> <item id=1> <name="Bread" /> <price="1.10" /> </item> <item id=2> <name="Milk" /> <price="2.20" /> </item> <ite...

Can I get Keyboard data not using Controls?
Is there any way I can detect a keyboard event while a Form is open, WITHOUT having to use the keyboard event handlers from the Control that has the Focus? For Example: Let's say I have Form that has only one Control, say a Textbox, and this Textbox is DISABLED so it can't take the Focus and receive keyboard events. Can I still somehow get the data coming from the keyboard and say, put it in a String. Of course, if the textbox were enabled and had the focus, I would want the data to ALSO go in the Textbox as it normally would. Thanks for any thoughts. hi, Ken ! > Is the...

Separate Local data set for Outlook synchronization
To avoid duplicate records, we downplay the use of record "ownership' to users, and have an open security model so users within the BU can read and write to all records. However, some of the users would like certain contacts to synch to their Outlook contacts folder and since this is driven by the contact records' owner, the only option is to create a copy of the record owned by each team member that wants to synch. I would love to see Microsoft develop a separate Local Data set that drives only the synchronization to Outlook. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for...

overflow data
When i input data into a cell, can i fix it so it doesn't overflow the adjacent but empty cell? Thanks. You could enter a space character in the adjacent cell, so it appears empty, but will stop the overflow. Barbara wrote: > When i input data into a cell, can i fix it so it doesn't > overflow the adjacent but empty cell? Thanks. -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html thanks, Genius! :-) >-----Original Message----- >You could enter a space character in the adjacent cell, so it appears >empty, but will ...

Spaces
Hi all, I've a field in my form called SR where users should copy a serial number and paste it in this field,I'm worried because some users copy space at the end or at the beginning of this serial,is there a way to make sure that users input this serial without spaces? Ini the AfterUpdate event of the text box, put code to remove all of the spaces: Private Sub SR_AfterUpdate() Me.SR = Trim(Replace(Me.SR, " ", "")) End Sub Alternatively, you could put code into the BeforeUpdate event to make them retype it if they haven't done it correctly: Priva...

Extra White Space Between Cells #3
I have several lines of text in two merged cells one above the other and it appears to be spaced correctly, but when I print (or even print preview) there is an extra line space in the document. When I adjust it to print correctly it doesn't all appear on the screen. What am I doing wrong? I need both view and print. Thanks for any help. ...

How do I import data from RightFax into an Excel spreadsheet?
I am trying to import data from RightFax into Excel. Any ideas? Thank-you! What is rightFax and can you save the file in RightFax as a text file? Then you can import that text file. Otherwise, send me the file and I will see if I can create a code to import it. See my Excel demos at http://www.geocities.com/excelmarksway - -Mark "Barbie" wrote: > I am trying to import data from RightFax into Excel. Any ideas? > > Thank-you! ...

Extending the Y-axis Title in Excel 2003
Hi, I'm having problems with the size of the Y-axis title. Excel 2003 will only show half of the typed Y-axis title, when in chart options it displays the entire title on the graph and also when I look at the chart in print pre-view. However if I export the graph to Word or Powerpoint only half the Y-axis title appears for any type of view. I am unable to change the size of the title box and if I replace it with a text box I have thesame problem. Any suggestions would be greatfully recieved Cheers Hi Clare Common problem (known bug) Add some dots to the end of the title; use a fo...

How can I reduce the white space in the footnote section?
Word 2007 When I make footnotes a section is automatically created above the footer and with a short left-aligned horizontal line separating it from the main text body of the page. There is a large white space between the first footnote and the horizontal line above it. How can I reduce this white space? Thanks for any help you can give. See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/NoteSeparators.htm for information on formatting the footnote separator, which appears to have acquired some Spacing After or perhaps an empty paragraph following. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft ...

Increasing X-axis Offset for graphs cutting x-axis
Hi, I have a graph which has bars above x-axis and below x-axis as well (Positive and negative values - percentages- being plotted). My Values / Bars may range from +100% to -100%. I see that the X-axis offset feature (within alignment) has maximum value of 1000 and I want to display my value labels below the x-axis. Problem is if I scale my y-axis from -100 to +100 then the bars cross over my value labels. On the other hand If I scale the graph to a -300 to +300 then though the bars dont cross over my value labels the graph appears very very small. Is there some way one can tamper with...

Code when some fields have no data.
I am using Access 2002. I am creating a report and have three fields I need to list with semicolons between them but they don't all have data in them. They are txtPrimaryCompetency, txtSecondaryCompetency and txtSupplementalCompetency. I've been trying to figure out how to list them and not have the semicolon appear if one or two of them have no data. I have tried using Not Null but can't get it to work. I tried using Len but I couldn't get that to work either. I am a beginner to programming and am a bit frustrated with trying to get this to work. I hope so...

Extra White Space down Side of page
i have a standard A4 word doc with a page border - the border and information within are fine however recently when i opn document there is an exra inch of page on the right hand side its just white space. the border stays in and doesnt move out, the white space just appears after about 5 seconds when you open the document. it looks like i need to move all info and borders outwards to make it even but everything wont go out the far and the rulers at the top arent recognising the extra space either. When printing the extra space remains. i have looked at page broders, margins ...

Data Validation #40
How can I restrict entry to ceels between the times of 18:00 & 06:00, this must allow 22:00 etc This is so it covers the night shift in 24hr format Pete Select the cells Choose Data>Validation From the Allow dropdown, choose Custom In the Formula box, type a formula that refers to the active cell, e.g.: =OR(B5>=0.75,B5<=0.25) Click OK Pete wrote: > How can I restrict entry to ceels between the times of > 18:00 & 06:00, this must allow 22:00 etc > > This is so it covers the night shift in 24hr format > > Pete -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips...

TAB button moves cursor from Colum A, to M, then Y...
I can not figure out why my TAB button moves my cursor from Colum A, to Colum M, and then Colum Y, etc... I just want the tab button to move the cursor to the right ONE CELL. Am I missing a setting? I am using a Microsoft Natural Keyboard and Office 2003. Any suggestions? Thanks....Chris Hi, Chris! Tools-->Options, Transition tab. Uncheck transition settings. :) ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Chris Hagler" <chagler@att.net> wrote in message news:OFZM80ajFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > I can not figure out why my TAB button moves my...

Size of free space
How can I enquire as to the available memory in the free store that I can allocate using the new operator Thanks in advance Nigel I do not think it is that easy. Having 100MB of heap memory available to your process does not mean that you can allocate all of it in a single call to new/malloc. Same thing applies if your address space is fragmented. The free memory could be fragmented, so you would only be able to allocate memory that was as large as the largest fragment, or in the case of address space fragmentation (or exhaustion), only as large as the largest appropriate contigious rang...

Outlook email changes spacing from single space to double space
When composing message (using Word as the default), the single space will change to double space when I send the email. In other words, when I want to show a single space between paragraphs, I get a double space when I hit "Send" Outlook version 2003 "Bocephus" wrote: > When composing message (using Word as the default), the single space will > change to double space when I send the email. In other words, when I want to > show a single space between paragraphs, I get a double space when I hit "Send" ...

How to add data outside chart range
I'm an excel chart beginner. How do I add data to the data worksheet to automatically update the linked chart, when the new data goes outside the chart range. Ie, the value axis is Percentage, the existing data goes up to 40%, and the linked chart's value axis goes up to 40%. If I add data over 40%, the line goes up off the chart. The chart does not not increase in range. I there any way to automtically increase the range shown on the chart, or do I have do a new automatic chart? The reason I don't want to do that is that I have tweaked a number of automatically created cha...

double spacing table in excel
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC How can you double space the cells, lines, or whole tables within excel 2008? Does this change to double space a cell where text wraps to two lines? <br><br>Thanks. Excel does not have any specific line spacing option such as found in a word processing program, but here are a couple of usable workarounds: 1] Format the cell's Vertical Alignment to Justify then adjust the Row Height to emulate the amount of 'line spacing' you want, or 2] Use Option+Command+return twice to (a) force a...

PWA 2007 Data Analysis
Experts, I use the data analysis section of PWA 2007 often for resource usage / time analysis. I love it and I think it's great. I always export to Excel when I want to graph an S Curve for cost or work hours. Basically I export to Excel and manually add a column or row to calculate the cumulative numbers so I can graph it. Is there a better to do this? perhaps directly in PWA? thanks, Hadi You could always do it in Project natively: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm/archive/2009/06/16/project-pro-leveraging-the-resource-graph.aspx "Hadi" wrote: >...

Access 2007 where's the spacing tool?
Hi all, I'm using Access 2007 for the first time (always have used 2000) and I'm designing a form, and I can't seem to find the spacing tool (horizontal, vertical make equal increase decrease). Googling turns up only info on 2003 - PLEASE tell me this functionality was not dropped - manually setting labels et al to be equidistant is incredibly time consuming!! TIA, -- SusanV It's on the Arrange tab of the ribbon (right hand end.) -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rat...

How to pull tables in from SQL then push data back to SQL
I'm very new and confused. I have created tables in Access. I have queries in Access that pull in data from an SQL back end. I have a form that has fields based on queries and just normal data entry. The tables I have created on Access are also on the SQL back end. Do I need to link to ALL the tables on the backend or just the tables that I'm pulling from? How to I export my form recordset to the tables located on backend? Urgent help is needed and I'd appreciate any that can be given. "p-rat" <osupratt@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:a09c3a55-702e-4323-8530- ...