Size of plot area expands when Chart Title is deleted - why?

Hi,

I have a worksheet with about 8 charts on it. On all but 1 chart, when I
delete the Chart Title, the plot area expands. Can anyone tell me why this
happens? I'm no chart expert and I can't seem to find any obvious setting
that would control that behavior.
--
TIA
Chuck M.

If you have not manually adjusted the plot area size, Excel considers it the
default size. This default size changes based on whether there are axis
titles, a chart title, and a legend. Adding or removing any of these
features causes the Excel to change the plot area,

To prevent this behavior, change the size of the plot area manually.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Chuck M" <ChuckM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a worksheet with about 8 charts on it. On all but 1 chart, when I
> delete the Chart Title, the plot area expands. Can anyone tell me why this
> happens? I'm no chart expert and I can't seem to find any obvious setting
> that would control that behavior.
> --
> TIA
> Chuck M.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
6/21/2007 9:31:30 PM
Thanks Jon! My user actually does want the plot size to change. I know that
the user has changed the plot size manually in the past. I can now explain
why this particular chart behaves the way it does.

BTW - I have visited your website many times and have found it a great
resource!

Thanks again.
Chuck M.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> If you have not manually adjusted the plot area size, Excel considers it the
> default size. This default size changes based on whether there are axis
> titles, a chart title, and a legend. Adding or removing any of these
> features causes the Excel to change the plot area,
>
> To prevent this behavior, change the size of the plot area manually.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______
>

> "Chuck M" <ChuckM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a worksheet with about 8 charts on it. On all but 1 chart, when I
> > delete the Chart Title, the plot area expands. Can anyone tell me why this
> > happens? I'm no chart expert and I can't seem to find any obvious setting
> > that would control that behavior.
> > --
> > TIA
> > Chuck M.

0
ChuckM (6)

chart grayed out
Excel 2003, XP system - No matter what I do the chart icon is grayed out. I tried detect and repair, but this did not fix the problem. I am up to date on my Office 2003 updates. How can I fix this and get the chart to work? On the Tools menu, choose Options, click on the View tab, and under Objects, select Show All, not Show Placeholders. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Elshpen wrote: > Excel 2003, XP system - No matter what I do the chart icon is grayed out. I > tried det...

Page Size Sheet Size Not The Same
Hi - I'm having trouble with printing in Publisher 2007. I have a 5.5x8.5 page size and I want to print that size paper. I've tried to set the sheet to custom size in the printer setup, but Publisher still want a 5.5x8.5 Publisher size printing on a full 8.5x11 sheet. I don't get it. I never had this problem with the Publisher 2003 or anyother MS product including the other Office 2007 programs. Can anyone help clue me in? Even if I create a document as 5.5x8.5 size it will publish a 8.5x11 .pdf file. Please Help! Jerry The new Publisher page setup is not user friendly. ...

Plotting different length series in a chart
I have a series of data that extends for 12 months and another series that extends for 4 months. Plan vs actual. The actual series continues at a zero value after the data ends. Is there a way to chart only the 4 months on one series while the full 12 months is charted on the other series? Fill the empty cells in the short range with =NA() - will display as #N/A and be ignored by chart best wishes -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in email address "Big Red" <BigRed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F6A87C30-6AE3-4AC4-9C4E-8...

dynamic charting and snipping cells
I have found several articles that explain how to set up named ranges with a formula such as this: =OFFSET(Sheet1!$B$2,0,0,COUNTA(Sheet1!$B:$B)-1) ....then specifying the source data using the named ranges. Finally, applying auto-filters to my data table will then automatically update my graph to show the selected data. The one additional piece I need is related to what I have selected via auto-filters: I have a collection of devices identified by a DeviceId. I want to pick one DeviceId via the auto-filter drop-down to see that device's data in the chart. I also want to label the ...

Screen Size
Dear All, I don't know if anyone can help but when I compose a message, the view of the message is huge! The font looks as though it's size 20 and it's driving me absoultely mad...... However, the emails in my sent / deleted files are normal size. Does anyone know why the view is so huge on my composing view and how I can get it back to normal? I've tried everything to no avail..... Many thanks! Sarah Grange, you wrote on Tue, 7 Oct 2008 02:05:00 -0700: > I don't know if anyone can help but when I compose a message, the view of > the message is huge! ...

Mailbox size
Hi, for some time i noticde that my live mail doesn't receive new messages unless i delete some old messages. i would leik to know if ther eis a maximum mailbox size in Live Mail. thank you. The mail box capacity is controlled by your isp. Check your account in the web interface to ensure you have not maxed out = your isp limit for your account If your account in WLM and a prior email client is/was configured to = never delete from the server, you may have over an extended=20 period of time reached your limit -- ....winston ms-mvp mail "Mirogzy" wrote...

speed up mailbox size increases
we have an AD structure with a NLB EXCH 2003 FE and a clustered 2003 BE. We have a developed application that manages mailboxes, assigns the mailbox quota, and manages the email addresses. If a user asks for a larger mailbox quota, we change it within the application, and the application immediately changes it in AD. Unfortunately it seems like quite a lengthy process between when AD knows about the change and the Exchange server starts to act on the new quota amount. Is there a way I can tweak either AD or Exchange so that the changes occur on a more regular basis. Typically it tak...

Charting #4
I just used the chart wizard and I can't get the data to show correctly on the chart. Have several points of data that are equal in value but show diferent heights on the bar chart. How can this be corrected???? Thanks. Howdy If you're creating a 3D column chart, columns that have the same value may appear to be different lengths. If that's not the problem, in his charting tutorial, Jon Peltier has information on setting up your data, that may help you: http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/ChartsHowTo/Charting101.html Howdy wrote: > I just used the chart ...

Plotting Problems
I'm using Excel 2002 on an NT 4.0 system. When I copy numbers from an older version of Excel(95 or 97?), the numbers pasted are incorrect. Any ideas on why this is happening and ways to fix it? Thanks in advance, -- Wes Incorrect as in........? Insert your description here. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 13:39:05 -0700, Wes <Wes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm using Excel 2002 on an NT 4.0 system. When I copy numbers from an older >version of Excel(95 or 97?), the numbers pasted are incorrect. Any ideas on >why this is happening and way...

How do I increase font size in the reading pane in Outlook 2007?
Previous versions had a command button to cycle through font sizes tiny > small > normal > big > tiny > ... The nearest I can get in Outlook 2007 is to open the received email in edit mode and then select all and then choose a font size via a font dialog. Silicon.Com sends a weekly newsletter out in HTML using a very small font, which I need to enlarge for comfortable reading. Surely I've missed a very simple command button, but searching local and on-line help for "increase font size" etc. brings no help. ...

Deleted Macro
I have a user who created and save a simple macro then deleted it after a time. Now when the file is opened a message appears advising of virus dangers and containing 'Disable macro' and 'Enable macro' buttons. The file doesn't contain any other macros. I have selected Disable and saved the file but the message still appears when to file is reopened. How can I stop the message from appearing? Any help would be very much appreciated. Adele, Press Alt plus F11 to get the VB editor. In the project window (upper left), navigate to 'VBA Project(Book1)\Modules\...

Contour plot
I am able to adjust the height of surface/contour plot by adjusting the plot area. However this appears to have no effect on the width of the plot. Is it possible to manipulate the "width" of a contour plot (i.e. series axis width)? Making a contour plot every once in a while I wish the mesh grid to go away, is it possible to remove it? If so how? Any help appreciated. Hi, The width of the chart is determined by the number of rows and columns used in the data source. The x and y axis are category axes. To get rid of the grid you need to remove the border form the legend da...

Backup file size
I run a script to backup my databases. The critical lines of code are: OSQL -U sa -P password -S ServerName -Q "BACKUP DATABASE StoreOps TO DISK = 'C:\RMS Backup\DailyBackup1.bck' WITH FORMAT, STATS And a second line just like the first for database HQ and filename DailyHQBackup.bck The files generated are 107MB (Store Ops) and 196MB (HQ). Recently I executed a 'no going back' query so I manually backed up my database. I don't normally check the file size when I do this sort ofthing, but last night my backup media (DVD-RW) ran out of space... The HQ Admin-ge...

Deleting duplicate messages
Hi all! I am looking for an Exchange tool to delete duplicate messages on Exchange 2003 SP2 running on Small Business Server 2003 SP1. This is the reason why: After updating our Exchange antivirus software it was improperly configured and started deleting old random messages with attachments. I have a full tape backup from the night before so that is not a problem. The only problem is our backup software will not restore and overwrite the messages that are already there without making duplicates. I could just delete the entire mailbox and restore but then I would lose all of the ...

Excel file very large in size?
I have made excel workbook with 10 sheets. It is simple and has one sheet with graph, and also 4 pictures of size 300Kb. Why excel file is over 3100 Kb in size, or this is ok? Thanks in advance Marc Excel is noted for over-estimating the actual used range on a sheet. See Debra Dalgleish's site for info and instructions for resetting. http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlfaqApp.html#Unused Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 22:37:45 +0200, "Marc" <marc5@hotmail.com> wrote: >I have made excel workbook with 10 sheets. It is simple and has one sheet >with gra...

Refresh problem for the size grip with Windows XP style
Hi, We have an dialog application with a scrollbar size grip. On Windows XP with visual style, there is a refresh problem for the size grip region. Without the XP style, everything is OK. I have noticed the same behavior with Notepad. Any ideas will be appreciated, Thanks ...

priv1.edb still has large size even no mailbox on it
Dear all, I have an Exchange 2000 mailbox store on W2K SP4 which has priv1.edb file size is 27 GB. Last month I create new mailbox store with the database name is priv2.edb and move the mailbox on the old mailbox store to the new one. But after there is no mailbox anymore on the old mailbox store, I wonder because priv1.edb file size still have the same size. Please help. Thanks. regards, Nita A priv.edb file will not dynamically shrink when you delete or move mailboxes from it. If you want to recover the saved space immediately you will need to run eseutil in defrag mode to compact...

Combination Chart

Exchange 5.5 import/export of mailbox size limits
I need to do an import/export of an Ex5.5 directory that would change the mailboxes size limits. Basically, I need to replace whatever is in the Issue Warning Prohibit Send Prohibit send and Receive .... account fields, and change these "manually" via a spreadsheet. I have several 100's of these to do and would like to do it via a CSV file in the Exchange admin export/import. What should the header of csv file be ? obj-class,directory name,Issue Warning?,Prohibit Send? Prohibit Send Receive? Thank You, SRP 2 of the column headers will be: Issue warning storage limit...

XL 2007 Chart Error Bars
Someone reported XL2007 crashing when he tried to add error bars. Has anyone else experienced this? best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "Bernard Liengme" wrote: > Someone reported XL2007 crashing when he tried to add error bars. > Has anyone else experienced this? > best wishes > -- > Bernard V Liengme > Microsoft Excel MVP > http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme > remove caps from email > > > sorry about the above blank post I have been experiencing these exact problems is t...

My messages go to delete as soon as I open them. Help
When I get email as soon as it comes to my inbox it goes to the deleted box! Please help! Thanks -- Joseph Robert Brown/my hand My first thought is that you have a rule that is processing them into the deleted items folder. Check your Rules. - Tools - Rules and Alerts Really think about what the rule is doing. They can be kinda tricky. Nikki Peterson "Joseph Brown" <JosephBrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6FCFCF4F-4D05-4048-A9C5-D2F57F3DD617@microsoft.com... > When I get email as soon as it comes to my inbox it goes to the deleted > box! >...

can not delete mail in outlook 2004
hi all, i am using outlook 2003, i can not delete mail in inbox and delete items. it showed that "outlook.pst can not access, there are no enough space". pls help me How large is your .pst file? RIght click on the root of your mailbox, = select properties->folder size. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, trang asked: | hi all, |=20 | i am using outlook 2003, i can not delete mail in inbox and d...

display answers to a questionnaire in a chart
A friend has a 12 question survey with a number of different answers available. How do I display the different responses to the 12 questions in a single chart? What type of answers? Text strings like yes or no or similar? I think you would have to give the answers a number value then create = your chart from those numbers. Use VLOOKUP on a table of answers and numbers to retrieve the number associated with a particular answer. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 04:48:01 -0700, Joanne Bryan <Joanne Bryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >A fr...

Dynamic Chart Title With 3D Stacked Column Chart
Excel 2007 I have a 3D stacked column chart that contains two data series. My data looks like this: Month Warnings Critical Incidents Misc Incidents January 12 5 1 February 8 7 3 March 7 12 1 I would like to add a chart title that contains the current year. I would like the year number in the title to update automatically. With a 3D clustered column chart, I can do that by putting a formula in a cell, and including that cell in the chart range. I can&...

plotting blanks as zero
I only have data up through today, but the chart shows the lines diving to 0 tomorrow and forward. My graph is plotting blanks as 0, instead of leaving a gap. I followed the help to Tools|Options|Chart|Plot Empty Cell As and set it to Not. But it has no effect. This is a Line Chart with markers. All the sub-types give the same effect. I thought at first that the chart options we defaults and only applied to new charts, but no, the option is only available for existing selected charts. Thanks, Brad. "Brad White" <bwhite at inebraska . com> wrote in message news:OQGyA4V...