I have data like this

customer food       service
----------------------------
john     excellent  good
mary     excellent  excellent
david    fair       fair
diane    good       good
jim      poor       fair

I want to create one pie chart for food (and one for service) that hows
what % of customer rated the food (service, resp.) as
excellent/good/fair/poor.  Seems pretty simple, but naturally it's not.
0
noone1160 (11)

Set up a table with the ratings in the firs column, and the categories
across the top:

           Food   Service
poor
fair
good
excellent

In the first cell under food (G2 in this example), enter a formula that
counts the entries in the ratings table (A1:C6) --
   =COUNTIF(B$2:B$6,$F2)
copy the formula down to G6, and across to column H.

Select cells F1 to G6, and use the Chart Wizard to create a pie chart.
Then, select F1:F6 and H1:H6, and create the second pie chart.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
11/4/2003 11:54:05 AM
Debra Dalgleish <dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com> wrote in

> Set up a table with the ratings in the firs column, and the
> categories across the top:
>
>            Food   Service
> poor
> fair
> good
> excellent
>
> In the first cell under food (G2 in this example), enter a formula
> that counts the entries in the ratings table (A1:C6) --
>    =COUNTIF(B$2:B$6,$F2)
> copy the formula down to G6, and across to column H.
>
> Select cells F1 to G6, and use the Chart Wizard to create a pie
> chart. Then, select F1:F6 and H1:H6, and create the second pie
> chart.

Thanks. That's what I ended up doing.  Btw, how do I "hide" this table,
from the printout at least (I don't want to have to exclude it by
selection).
0
noone1160 (11)
11/4/2003 10:33:09 PM
You could position the chart over the table, and the table won't be printed.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

0
dsd1 (5911)

Printing ORG chart
Hello. I have just created my first excel org chart. WOW- i am boggeled. It is a large org chart. When I started creating it the chart kept getting smaller because of my margins so i expanded them. Now I am finished. I need to print. The org chart actually starts in colum BT line 88 and ends in column DA line 167. Excel says it's 98 pages long but that's because of the page breaks. When I try adjusting the page breaks the chart gets to little to view. I would like the chart to print on one page which should be possible. I am trying to move the chart to column a line 1 so I can...

Transfering pie chart to Powerpoint correctly
Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone can help me! I am trying to add a piechart that I made in Excel to a slide in Powerpoint. I do the usual copy and paste and it appears to work correctly but the piechart in powerpoint is missing a few of the labels. Most of them are there but some of them just have the percentage amount but not the label name. I need the label names on all of them! Any help would be appreciate!! :) I am using 2003 edition. Thanks, Heather Sorry, but this newsgroup is for questions about Access, the database product that's part of Office Profess...

Can you chart an equation (y=mx+b)?
I am trying to set up a graph in MS Excel where you can enter in the values for X and B and it will graph the line, like a graphing caluclator would. Is that possible? Excel graphs points, not equations. For a straight line, you would only need to calculate the first and last points on the line and plot them as an "XY (Scatter)" chart with points connected by a line. Alternately, Tushar Mehta has written an add-in for plotting functions http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/plot_manager/index.html Jerry Adam wrote: > I am trying to set up a graph in MS Excel wh...

Select Specific Data From Cells For A Chart
I have a spreadsheet that has a row that I want to use as a data range in a chart. The cells in the row contain three numbers on the left and three letters on the right. I can select just the three numbers by using “LEFT(A1:Z1,3)”. How do I use that formula to select just the three numbers for the data range in the chart? Note that your formula is incorrect in what you think it does, the LEFT function cannot reference a range of cells. To reference the first 3 cells in a row: =OFFSET(A1,,,,3) To reference cells C1:E1 would be: =OFFSET(A1,,2,,3) -- Best Regards, Luke...

how to create a chart of a sheet from a xsl file that is on a url
Hi. I would like to create a chart. The "problem" is that the file, that already is a XSL file is on a URL and i what the chart to be update from that file each time i open my xsl file. In other words, i have a file that each time i open is going to do an update on a chart based on data that is on a static URL. Thank you. ...

Simple graph
I have a chart with zip codes and a population rate. ZIP RATE 80001 2.34 80002 1.23 80003 1.23 I want to make a chart that has the rate on the x axis and the number of times that rate occurs on the y axis. | | | * | | * |_________________________________ | | 1.23 2.34 Thank you. I will assume the ZIP and RATE stuff is in A1:B200 (labels in row 1) Label in G1 to read RATE (but leave it empty for now), label in H2 to read COUNT Make a list of rates in G2:G20 (say) In H2 =COUNTIF($B$2:$B$200,G2) Copy down the row Select H1:G20 and make a...

Macro to change position of chart labels on line chart
Hello all, I have quite a trickly problem to solve and I would appreciate any suggestions. I have a dashboard page in a worksheet which shows financial KPIs (i.e. sales) as forecast this year versus last year. There are a number of line charts on the dashboard showing the differing forecasts; the user of the dashboard can choose a business unit to view. What I would like to be able to do is to have the chart labels for these charts automatically change their aligmnent so that they display properly. I have set the chart labels to display "Above" for the new forecast and "Bel...

Simple help with implementing Outlook-like GUI
Hi All. I am an experienced unix programmer who sometimes has to do something in the windows world, and always has newbie-questions. Basically I want to write an application program that looks like outlook in that it has nice icons down the left hand side that choose the content of the main area in the right hand side. So I started the MFC App wizard, and got me a SDI program with a CLeftFrame (CTreeView) and a CMainFrame (CFrameWnd). Then I prepared the following snippet of code to draw the buttons: // Create a pushbutton CBitmapButton* pmyButton; pmyButton = new CB...

Simple Simple Simple
Just started Excel (again) and need to make an easy speadsheet fo calculating square inches. Column A: Height Column B: Legnth Column C: Total Tags per 16 x 24 Column D: Cost per tag Figures I know: each sheet cost me $9.98. each sheet is 16 x 24 inches What I want to do is enter the Height, enter the Length and have th total (sum) be entered into columns C and D. I can't believe I forgot how to enter formulas. Any help will b appreciated. Thank you, Crai -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Craig, One Way, might be better ways but this'll work: List the colou...

Grouping Series Labels in a Pie Chart
Hi, I have a bank statement that looks a little like this: ATM - £10 POS - £30 ATM - £10 ATM - £10 POS - £20 is there any way to generate a pie chart that will automatically group series with the same name, in this case, producing a pie chart with a value of 30 for ATM and 50 for POS. When i try to do this in excel, it creates a chart with a different segment for each value. Thanks Richard. Hi, No the chart will not do it. You can use formula, SUMIF, to do it and then chart the data. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info &...

Changing Data Series in a Chart from Bar to Line
Happy New Year everyone! I have a question regarding charts in MS Access. I am able to create a chart that uses both bars and lines to return data, however, I can not figure out how to specify which data series are returned as bars and which are returned as lines. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Chad ...

Importing Data and Creating Charts from Spreadsheet
Greetings - Sorry if the subject is not very explanitory, wasn't sure how to word it. Basically my issue is I am trying to create some different charts from a spreadsheet where there might be multiple rows for the same values that will go on the X axis. For example this spreadsheet might have the following Data: ABC Company $500 BCD Company $332 XYZ Company $500 XYZ Company $200 When that chart is created (company on x axis, amount on Y axis) it creates 4 different columns (one each for ABC Company and BCD Company and two for XYZ Company). What I would like it to do is to crea...

Simple hack to get $500 to your home at http://uknews.tk Due to high security risks,i have hidden the cheque link in an image. in that website on left side below search box, click on image and enter your name and address where you want to receive your cheque.please dont tell to anyone. ...

Chart Help -How ?
Hi, I'm a newbie with Excel & I am struggling to make this work. It's work related. I'm simply trying to show sales figures in a Pie-chart based upon the following information: Alex Frankie w/c 13/3/06 Calls made 45 70 No. not interested 10 10 No. interested 1 8 No. of call backs 34 52 Appointments made 0 1 But I can't work out how I'm going to show the legends but also including the 2 staff members. I'm sure somebody out there will have a better resolution. Thanks -- conks ----------------------------------------------------------------------...

How can I set up a gantt chart in excel?
Deos anyone know how to set up a gantt chart in Excel2002? I recall an older version that had a gantt function, but I cannot find that now. Thanks. Look here: http://www.tushar-mehta.com -- Greeting from the Gulf Coast! http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays "k" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0d0501c3b8f3$846dd4e0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Deos anyone know how to set up a gantt chart in > Excel2002? I recall an older version that had a gantt > function, but I cannot find that now. > Thanks. ...

Numbers instead of symbols on scatter chart
I know I can elect not to display the symbol, and elect to show the series name, and so could change the series name to a number, but this is impractical. Is there any way of using numbers instead of symbols on a scatter chart. Then, the legend would still show the series name, but instead of both the chart and the legend showing a symbol, they would show the series number. the simplest way is to make a text box with no fill and no line with the number you want in it. copy the text box, not the number in it goto the chart ans select the series and paste. The number will replace the s...

Simple Query Wizard hangs
I am using Access 2003 When I initiate the "Simple Query Wizard", I am presented with the first screen - "What fields do you want in your query" When I click on the pulldown list to select a table, I get the following message: "The expression On Get Focus you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: the text you entered isn't an item in the list * the expression may not result in the name of a macro, the name of a user-defined function, or [Event Procedure]. * There may have been an error evaluating the function, event, or macro&q...

Copy Data From Chart to Chart
I have to create separate charts for ten employees. I want to have all the data on one sheet tab. Create the chart on another tab for employee 1, format the chart the way I want and be able to add the data for employee 2, 3, 4, etc. to each tab, using the same format for chart 1 so they all match. So there should be one tab for raw data and 10 tabs for each employee. I’m using Excel 2000 Thank you ...

Multiple Plot areas in one chart area
I have a multiple line chart that uses both vertical axises where the range changes regularly for each series. I set both axises to the desired setting so that one line (the one that used the left axis) is always on top of the other (right axis). But as soon as I change the source data, the lines go back to overlapping. Is there a way to have one line chart always be on top of the other so that they aren't touching regardless of ranges? I thought of having multiple plot areas within one chart but i didn't see any options for that. thanks in advance. Zac - You could use a macro t...

I Need a Simple Sales Software
Hello, I am looking for software to keep track of my prospects, customers, and the notes of the sales process. I spend about one hour a day on sales and marketing, so I prefer a simple and inexpensive software. Maximizer, Outlook, Act, and Goldmine seem made for the full-time professional salesperson. Please let me know if what I am looking for exists. Best Regards, T.I. ...

Column chart Excel 2003
I know that you can paste a picture (e.g. a picture of a pen) into the Column of a Column chart by either simply copying/pasting the picture or as a fill effect-picture... The problem I have is that I have a fill effect for the whole chart area, let's say blue. Now when I replace the columns with my picture there are white background behind each of the pictures which I would like to be transparent. I tried every possible way but can't get rid of it. I know it works as I have a file here which proves it is possible but don't know how. However, when I paste the picture into P...

Make it more simple or intuitive to do simple things
I appreciate the fact that applications are becoming more versatile and able to do things that we hardly thought possible in the past but I feel that in this added complexity you are losing sight of the need to do simple things easily without resorting to trial and error or consulting "help" which often anyhow doesn't lead one straight to the solution! An example is how to produce a chart with a series of months i.e Jan Feb Mar etc appearing on the X axis. This is no doubt something that resulted naturally in the first versions of Excel charts or in a competitor's ea...

Sub-category line charts
I right click on a payee that I've paid each month for the past year. I pick the Go to Sub-Category item. I gives me a chart for all the payments I've made. But the line graph only shows the last 6 months. How do I change the line graph to show the entire year. TIA Have a nice week... Trent Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity! The line graph on a category or subcategory will only show 6 months. You'll need to have a custom report to do it for longer -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for...

Can I create a chart using every fifth row of data?
I have a spreadsheet with 13,000 rows of data. I need to creat a chart using every 5th row in order to cut down the amount of data in my chart. Can I easily do this? I'm not sure of an easy way to do this, but if you hold the CTRL key and select evert fifth row and then the chart wizzard, it will only use those rows. However, with 13,000 rows of data that means clicking 2,600 times. "Adair72" wrote: > I have a spreadsheet with 13,000 rows of data. I need to creat a chart using > every 5th row in order to cut down the amount of data in my chart. Can I > eas...

Simple public folder permission problem
I have a public task list folder. However even though I have given everyone "Author" priviledges and full control of the directory, users cannot update the tasks (although they can create new ones). The changes to tasks get reset to their original values. Where should I look to fix this problem? Brian How did you grant Author Access, via Outlook or ESM? What do you meanyou gave them full control of the directory? "Brian Taylor" <taylorb@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message news:e2hwumGrEHA.1160@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I have a public task list folder. Ho...