Secondary-axis gridlines

Is there any way--even by a trick--of having horizontal gridlines cross the
secondary y-axis major-unit hash marks, rather than based on the primary
axis' marks?
0
hmm (30)

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
hmm <hmm@discussions.microsoft.com> said:

>Is there any way--even by a trick--of having horizontal gridlines cross the
>secondary y-axis major-unit hash marks, rather than based on the primary
>axis' marks?

You can put your primary scale over on the right, and the secondary
scale on the left, which should produce the same visual effect.

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

Unfortunately, that will not work.  The choice of which data set I place on
the secondary axis is not that its axis appear on the right, but because
Excel plots the secondary data ON TOP of the primary, obstructing it from
view.  Putting the primary scale on the right, I would have to exchange the
datasets I am using as secondary and primary (in order to draw gridlines from
primary).  Doing so would cause the wrong dataset to appear above,
undesirably obstructing the other from view.

"Del Cotter" wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
> hmm <hmm@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
>
> >Is there any way--even by a trick--of having horizontal gridlines cross the
> >secondary y-axis major-unit hash marks, rather than based on the primary
> >axis' marks?
>
> You can put your primary scale over on the right, and the secondary
> scale on the left, which should produce the same visual effect.
>
> --
> Del Cotter
> NB Personal replies to this post will send email to del@branta.demon.co.uk,
>     which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3 instead.

0
hmm (30)
4/15/2007 8:00:02 AM
Hi,

Have you seen Jon's page on arbitrary gridlines?
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryGridlines.html

Cheers
Andy

hmm wrote:
> Is there any way--even by a trick--of having horizontal gridlines cross the
> secondary y-axis major-unit hash marks, rather than based on the primary
> axis' marks?
0
andy9699 (3616)

Secondary Axis on Line Chart
Hi Guys, I posted this a week ago, but it seems to have vanished from the board! Is it possible to plot two data sets on the same line graph with different scales? i.e. Have a secondary axis, like in Excel? I have one dataset fluctuating around 2.0 over time and another dataset fluctuating around 50 over time. If I plot both of these in the same graph, I lose the subtle changes in the first dataset. I can sort of bodge it by writing a query with an expression to multiply the first dataset by 25, but then I can't get the "real" values to show on the axis. I find the graph funct...

2007 move axis label & add zero line
Excel 07 - Have several bar charts with negative values. Can I move the axis label independently of the default relationship to the least value or the chart floor? And how do I add only the horizontal zero line for reference in a bar chart with negative and positive values stacked? Right click the axis, select Format Axis... In the dialog box, set the Label position to 'Low' (the default is 'Next to Axis'). The x axis by default is at y=0. So, you should be all set for that. If you have additional horizontal lines, they are gridlines. To remove them, click on any ...

Y axis increments
Hi, I have a column chart On my Y axis I have - 0,2,4,6,8, I would like it to read - 0,2,3,5,6,8 And also with the % sign behind the number. Also-how do I get less or more space between my groups of columns(there are 4 columns in one group and 3 groups). Also- Is there a way to get more space between the Y axis and my first group of columns on my X axis? Thanks On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, syssupspe <syssupspe@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I have a column chart On my Y axis I have - 0,2,4,6,8, >I would like it to read - 0,2,3,5,6,8 You will ne...

Change axis value
hey guys, I have created graphs based on a database.. the figures entered into the database are dates shown as 07/08/07 for example. I have managed to create these graphs using queries but the y axis shows up as '8'. how do i change this to show Aug instead? Cheers, Grant. thanks It worked. one more thing Month 01 shows up as Dec! when it should be Jan? ...

Change Color of x-Axis-lines and legends in chart
Hi NG i have an existing chart with two lines on the x-axis. (1 line for previous-values(blue), 1 line for current-value(red) ) now i should change on of these colors. I tried to find something under format legend, chart type, source data etc. but i didn't find a solution. maybe i've overseen it. is there anybody to tell me where i can make the change of the colors? thanks for helping. Regards Reiner Hi Reiner, You can double click one of the lines in order to display the format dialog. Change the colour from the Patterns tab. Other ways to display the dialog are, select a l...

how excel calculates the major units on an axis when MajorUnitIsAuto property set to true #2
I need to know, how excel calculates the major units on an axis when MajorUnitIsAuto property set to true. We are porting an existing excel chart application to .net with help of a third party tool for charting. If MajorUnitIsAuto property set to true, excel automatically calculates the major unit.Need to know what algorithm excel uses to calculate the Major Units. Thanks in advance, Mathew Microsoft has posted an article which tells how the minimum and maximum scale values are determined, in terms of this mysterious major unit, but I have seen nothing about how this major unit is calcula...

Sharing secondary outlook calendar
My partner and I use Outlook 2007 on our respective laptops. I use Outlook for my own diary and also have a second calendar, the latter of which I need to be able to share with my partner. I would like him to be able to view it on his laptop in Outlook and also edit/add appointments which are then synced back to my copy. Most of the solutions I've seen only allow him to view appointments, not make any changes. We don't have Exchange Server although the two computers are on a wireless network. Many thanks for any advice and suggestions. "Bagheera"...

3 axis scattergram
Does anyone have any information on how to create an X, Y, Z scattergram chart in excel? Hi have a look at: http://andypope.info/charts/3drotate.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany bhill1 wrote: > Does anyone have any information on how to create an X, Y, Z > scattergram chart in excel? Mr. Kabel, This is excellent. Thank you for the link. It is exactly what I was looking for. Sincerely, Bruce D. Hill "Frank Kabel" wrote: > Hi > have a look at: > http://andypope.info/charts/3drotate.htm > > -- > Regards > Frank Kabel > Frankfurt, Ge...

How do I prevent truncation of the Y-axis title?
When making charts using Excel, I've found that the Y-axis title is always truncated if I use a truetype font, e.g. Ariel. For example, if I set the label to "Total Count Rate", it only appears on the chart as "Total Count R". Having just found this user community, I've noticed that there have been numerous queries concerning this. One solution I've discovered is to not use true type fonts. These do seem to render correctly. That said, I'll use the other solution suggested of using a text box and not using the chart axes labels. "Hugh" wro...

Label x axis on very long spreadsheet
I have a spreadsheet 1200 rows long. I traced a line chart (for representing the information present in column C) using the wizard and would like now to label the x axis using the information scattered in column B. In source data, I indicate for Category x axis: label =Sheet1!$B$1:$B$1200 but only the first label appears. I tried to do exactly the same on a small spreadsheet (20 rows) and it worked well, my x axis was correctly labelled but it does not work on a long spreadhseet. What am I doing wrong? Hi, Double click the x axis and on the scale tab alter the value for 'Numbe...

Secondary Axis not crossing at zero
I have a chart with a primary and secondary axis. Values for the primary axis range from 0 to 260, values for the secondary axis range from -50% to 50%. I would like to have the zeros on both axis line up, so that the negative percentages on the secondary axis are clearly identifiable. I can't find a way to do it. In the default chart, the x axis crosses the primary y-axis at 0, but the 0 on the secondary y-axis is at approximately the same height as the value 50 on the primary axis. Please help! Astrid Right-click on an axis. Format Axis/ Scale. Alter the min and max values ...

Possiblity of Two X Axis Graph
I need to compare 2008 sales against 2009 sales side by side in asingle graph. My data is given below PERIOD-09 Jan 09 Feb 09 Mar 09 Apr 09 SALES-09 2500 2550 2230 3100 PERIOD-08 Jan 08 Feb 08 Mar 08 Apr 08 SALES-08 1900 1990 2301 2900 Any solution? Fowmy Add a helper column and just display month =MONTH(SerialDate) Use that for the X axis. That may be the easiest way assuming you are only looking at a calendar year. -- HTH, Barb Reinhardt "Fowmy" wrote: > I need to compare 2008 sales against 2009 sales side by side in asingle graph. > My data is given below...

second x axis not present
Hi, I designed an Excel chart to as a scatter plot with four series. One series is plotted on a secondary x axis but the axis tick marks and labels do not appear, nor are they editable. When I move the mouse over the area to select "secondary x-axis", no such label (choice) appears. The data are plotting correctly, but I need to show the labels so the viewer of the chart understands that this one series is not referencing the primary x- axis, but is referencing the secondary x-axis. In Chart Option, both x axes are shown to exist. In the data series in question, the ser...

XL2003
I am trying to create a chart where the X-axis uses custom labels. There are 6 data series arranged in columns; column A contains the following: 1,2,3,E,3,2,1,2,3,E,3,2,1. I would like to use these as my X-axis labels instead of the default which is 0 - 14 (corresponding to the number of items). Any ideas? TIA Amanda "Birmangirl" <Birmangirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DADBA0DC-E5E0-44D7-B900-A806DC3636F8@microsoft.com... > I am trying to create a chart where the X-axis uses custom labels. There are > 6 data series arranged in columns; column A ...

gridlines #3
I have added gridlines to my chart but the top line (number) the line does not go across, all the others do. How do I do this. ...

does anyone know how to expand the field on an axis
Please use the white space to give a fuller message. The term 'expand the field' is unclear. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Theresa" <Theresa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A4BA3F9-109C-4F05-9615-97293C99C627@microsoft.com... > I am trying to add more fields to my x axis than the 7 allowed. My chart is short fields needed, it is almost as if I need a secondary axis but I am not using a pivot chart. All the information appears on the chart blank because I am not able to load the info...

gridlines in Excel 2003 #2
When I hide the gridlines on my worksheets, they come back when I reopen the workbooks. How do I make them stay away? I use Tools, Option, uncheck gridlines and then I save the workbook. I did not have a problem. Each worksheet in the workbook needs to be "unchecked" sepaeately. Then save the workbook with a different file name. I.E. gridlines. When you open Excel, the default "book1.xls" will open, "with gridlines". But when you open the file you saved, "gridlines" it should retain your settings of no gridlines. "mah" wrote: > ...

Plotting Point on Gridline
I have a graph that I made but I'm having an issue with the points being plotted on it. It's a custom type chart (lines on 2 axes). I have everything on there and it is all working, but my points are being shown in between my x axis values instead of on the gridline. ie: if the data is associated with 80,000 sq ft it shows the point in the space between 80,000 and 90,000 sq ft rather than on the gridline for 80,000 sq ft. Is there any way to change this so that the point will appear on the 80,000 sq ft gridline? I'm not sure that I described this well, but I tried. I w...

Reversing category and value axis
When I plot the following table, I always get my depths (the category) on the bottom and my values on the left side. I'd like to reverse this so the values are on the side and the category on the bottom. Is this possible with Excel charting ? Depth 6/12 6/23 6/28 7/13 0 5 18.8 21.4 25.1 24.8 10 18.7 21.1 25.1 24.8 15 18.5 20.4 25.1 24.7 20 18.4 19.8 23.6 24.7 25 18.1 19.6 23.0 24.7 30 17.9 19.0 22.0 24.7 35 17.9 18.7 21.3 24.6 40 17.8 18.3 20.8 24.6 45 17.6 18.0 20.0 24.5 50 17.5 17.9 19.4 24.4 55 17.2 17.7 18.5 24.3 60 16.6 17.4 18.1 23.8 65 14.2 17.1 17.1 17.5 70 12.4 16.8 16.6...

Charts
Hi, Suppose my current chart has intervals of 0.00, 0.50, 1.00, 1.50, 2.00, 2.50 & so on across the y-axis based on data that i have. Can i set the display or show values for y-axis only as 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 & so on ? OR Is it possible to set the numeric gap for the y-axis when drawing a chart? Your help in this regard is appreciated. Thank You. Regards, Giri Hi, I seem to have got the solution. It is FormatAxis --> Scale. This can be invoked by selecting the axis select -- > right click on the axis to be changed. Thank You. Regards, Giri >-----Original Message----- &...

Plotting
I am trying to create a plot of y1 vs x y2 vs x y3 vs x where y1 varies from 1 to 10 y2 varies from 1 to 10,000 y3 varies from 1 to 100,000. Hence I need to find a way of creating THREE VERTICAL axis in ONE plot - one vertical axis going from 1 to 10, next from 1 to 10,000 and last one from 1 to 100,000. Could you please help me? Thanking you Alex. Maybe, you can adapt the ideas behind 'Stacked Charts' at http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/stacked_charts/index.html -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS...

display value axis on both sides
I'm trying to display the y axis on both the left and right side of the chart; is this possible, and if so, how to i go about it? thanks. This requires having a primary and secondary axis. The minimum requirement here is to have two series. The best way to manage this is to add a range to the worksheet using, say, the first two X values for X, and the minimum and maximum values in all of your Y data for Y. Add this range to your chart as a new series. If your main chart is a column chart, change this series only to a line chart type (Chart menu > Chart Type); otherwise use the s...

Scatter chart x axis tick mark lables
I am having a problem printing a scatter chart. On my pc the date/time will not print for the x-axis tick marks. Using the same file on another pc the date/time prints just fine. Love to have some help on this, many thanks. The first thing to do is visit the website of the printer manufacturer and download the latest print driver. Then come back if problem persists, telling us what version of Excel, and the make and model of printer best wishes -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in email address "so" <> wrote in message news:1128d52e.0412011226...

Hovering Over the data point shows different X-Axis
I have an area chart with several data points. The chart looks correct, but if I hover over one of the data points the X-axis that it indicates is one off the correct X axis. If I only select data for 2 years (24 points) it is okay. As soon as I add the 25th, the hover over shows the following month (the data is still correct). Is this a limitation in Excel or has anyone else come across this? ...

Opening Graph Format Axis Window with Vb code
dear friends, i am using ms office 2003. i have displayed a Microsoft Graph Chart in a form. in that graph if we double click at Origin( where x any y axes intersect each ohter), we will get a data table view. if we again double click at Origin, then we will get a window called Format Axis. it consits of tabs Patterns, scale,Font,Number and Alignment how do we open that window with Vb code. when i click a button that window should be opened ...