scatter plots using pivot table data

In older versions of Excel, you could directly create xy
scatter plots using pivot table data.  In Excel 2000, the
chart wizard says you can't use an xy scatter plot with
pivot table data.  Why?????  Is there any way around this
limitation?
0
drogers (1)

Dan -

Don't tell the pivot table you're making a regular chart.

Select a cell away from the PT and start the chart wizard. Select the XY
Scatter type you want in step 1. In step 2, use the Series tab to select
the ranges for the names, X values, and Y values of each series in your
chart. Make sure you don't select one of the PT buttons.

I do this all the time, because I use pivot tables a lot, and I hate
pivot charts.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Dan wrote:
> In older versions of Excel, you could directly create xy
> scatter plots using pivot table data.  In Excel 2000, the
> chart wizard says you can't use an xy scatter plot with
> pivot table data.  Why?????  Is there any way around this
> limitation?

0
DOjonNOT (619)

scatter
Assume 1000 pairs in 2 columns with values similiar to (12.2,17233). x is in the range of 8.4-19.2 and y is 0-20000. The x axis is on the bottom and the y is on the left with x crossing y @ maximum y How does one plot this? Have you tried this? What happened? Where did you get stuck? -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <98E0E92C-1444-4327-B272-BCAA25A62259@microsoft.com>, shennigan@peiinc.com says... > Assume 1000 pairs in 2 columns with values similia...

Using secured mdb with crystal report
I tried to display a crystal report but error "20535:incorrect session parameters" is shown. With a non-secured file that work perfectly. The lines I wrote are: CString szEmpty; CString szPassword; szPassword = _T("\n") + pDbReport->GetDatabasePassword(); pTable- >SetSessionInfo(szEmpty.AllocSysString(),szPassword.AllocSysString()) ; some extra details: crystal report 8.5 Visual studio 2003 office 2007 I think 'SetSessionInfo' has two arguments that are id and password. But, you push password parameter with _T("\n"); Why you do it? is right you...

Way to tell if table has changed?
Every day we import a table from a separate Access database. I wondered if there is some system table that keeps track of when tables have been updated, so we could bypass importing it if nothing has changed? I'd guess the table only changes every 2-3 days. -- Dorian "Give someone a fish and they eat for a day; teach someone to fish and they eat for a lifetime". Dorian I'm having trouble visualizing your situation. If you haven't imported the table yet, how would you or Access know if it had "been updated"? Or are you saying you have two A...

Refresh Graph Data
Is there a way to refresh a graph's data? I am trying to graph total loans by month and starting with November. I want to add next month's without having to create a new graph... is this possible? Karen wrote: > Is there a way to refresh a graph's data? I am trying to graph total loans > by month and starting with November. I want to add next month's without > having to create a new graph... is this possible? > > ----------------- The technique I use is to put a colored row of cells at the bottom of the data with the message "Insert new row...

using stmp with copiers
Hi i can send email from a canon IR copier. it's send through smtp from exchange 2000. how can i have a log from what is send (date-time, recipient) ? can i use acknowledgement of receipt ? of reading ? can i do something from exchange ? thanks It really depends on the copier. I would assume that since it is using SMTP, and not CDO or MAPI that it is a pretty vanilla implementation. Check the copier documentation for what it offers. Most I have seen allow for printing out a log of usage, but I have never seen read reciepts, and so on implemented. "Bertrand" <the...

How to use SumProduct to count reference or something else?
I used a command a while back and can only vaguely remember how to use it. I was using the SumProductIF. I have a column of references and I need to count how many times the reference is used. For example: Date Reference Amount #of Lines per Ref 12/31/09 Payroll 12/09 50.00 2 12/31/09 Payroll 12/09 100.00 2 12/31/09 Sales 12/09 2,000.00 3 12/31/09 Sales 12/09 5,000.00 3 12/31/09 Sales 12/09 10,000.00 3 #of Lines per Ref is the total of how many times that reference is used in the whole spre...

can i chart my data in the font color?
I would like my chart to display my data points in the color of the font i enter them in . ie.... a red font would display a red bar and a black font a black bar. Does anyone know if this is possible? You would have to write a macro to do this automatically. If you only have a couple of charts to do, You might want to just select the individual bar and change the color yourself. depending on the graph type selected, you could also separate out the data into different series depending on the color you want to use, and plot using a stacked bar chart "larry" wrote: >...

Moving mailboxes using Active Directory Users and Computers
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C61DC8.6FAD4950 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Question: When moving mailboxes using AD Users and Computers from = Exchange server A to Exchange Server B, what will be the effect on users = that currently have their mailbox open in Microsoft Outlook? Some of the = users have Outlook 2003 and some of them have Outlook 2002. Is it best = to do the move when noone is on? but the thing is in this organization, = we have so laptop users that may not be on...

XY Scatter chart
I have a scatter chart with one PAIR of data for each of 31 business activities. For example, two data points for "Delivery," one showing the ranked importance of this activity and the the second point showing the organization's performance in this category. Unfortunately, the descriptions of these business activities are a lot longer than the above example and R. Bovey's XY Labeler results in a crowded, unreadable chart. Is there any way to name these business activities on the X Axis, at a 45 or 90 degree angle? Put the description in one column. In 2 adjacent...

Searching for first and last in a table to chart (gantt)
I am using a rather large table and need to search for the first and last cell that has a value entered in a particular row and return the cooresponding date in that column. The table has a few columns showing task name etc that there is serveral rows that represent a date. In each row a number is put in a column that matches a date or is left blank. I have tried to llustrate this below __ |A1__|___B1___ |__C1_|__D1_|....|__E1_|__H1_|__I1_|__J1_|__K1__| A2|Task | Sub Task |Phase| Name| |01/05| 02/05| 03/05|04/05| 05/05 | A3| Xt Xs Yp Xn | null | ...

Word randomly changing my figures and tables captions
I'm trying to format a large document, with over 150 tables and figures in it. I've used captions to label them all, but I'm now finding that Word is randomly changing some that I have specified as 'table' to 'figure' and vice versa. This particularly seems to be happening with tables and figures that appear on the same page, but is not restricted to these instances. As soon as I change one caption back to the correct type, the one below will change itself to the wrong type again! I need the captions to remain as I've entered them for my table of f...

Using a blacklist filter
I have been looking at ways to stop/slow the use of our server to cause hundreds of NDRs. I have Symantec's Anti-Spam for Exchange running, but it doesn't seem to do the job well. I have added Microsoft's Intelligent Message Filter recently and I'm hoping this will work. However, I am wondering if I can use a Blacklist filter from a group such as VISI.com Relay Stop List on an Exchange 2003 server? They say anyone with a mail server that supports DNS-based blocking lists should be able to work with their list. Has anyone set this up and if so, what do I need to do? ...

New to Using Outlook Help Please
Hi I'm transferrring for the first time from using a paper diary to using Outlook. Is there such a thing as a basic tutorial in how to use Outlook and its features. If so would truly appreciate a link. Happy New Year there are tutorials all over the internet. I have these two sites with lots of information and tips for using outlook but it's not really specific to 'converting from a paper diary'. It's usually easier to play around with it to learn how it works then if you have a specific problem, search for it or ask here. Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.n...

Table sorting and v look up possible &
Hello, Just need some advice with regards to the below. I have 2 tables. The first consists of 1 column of names and several other columns of other details. This table contains the records of people i need to update with details of the 2nd table.... The 2nd table contains 2 columns of the same names but split, with first name being in a separate column than the surname. Then further columns that have more info in. This table has 11000 peoples names in as this data is a simple data dump, opposed to the exact names of the people in table 1 i need. I will use a v look up but after i ha...

Pulling data from a list
Tough problem. I have a list of 40 records in one column, each with different data, but with the same field headings (100, 245, 260, etc.) that looks something like this: 100 Joe Smith 245 Book of home repair 260 Simon and Shuster 440 Language tape 500 Audio File 655 Audiobook 856 Bibliographic record URL 994 Location designation If I only want to view certain fileds, like 100 and 245, how can I extract that data from all the records and create a new table with that information? Thanks for any assistance. There is an Excel feature called Autofilter that does exactly what you want: 1. ma...

Using custom built MFC library instead of MFC71.dll
Hi, I have rebuilt the MFC library due to a corrected bug in oledisp1.cpp. (See previous post) I named the libraries CCMFC71.DLL instead of the standard MFC71.dll. (ccmfc71u.dll etc) (I obviously don't want to replace the standard MFC71.DLL) Now how do I get my MFC (7.1) projects to use this library instead of MFC71.dll I can find no references of MFC71.lib in the project. thanks and regards Anders Sandberg libs are all added in afx.h (at least upto VC7.0) "Anders Sandberg" <anders.sandberg@nospam.se> wrote in message news:#iWxTq#mEHA.2764@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > ...

Scatter and bar
Hi I have posted a screen shot of my chart here - http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs35&d=05260&f=chart.jpg I would like to know if it is possible with the chart to change the turquoise line named Digester feed mean % DS to work with the scatter chart using the secondary axis already in place as a bar mixed scatter chart? I really appreciate your comments i think the chart would look great like this. Many Thanks Rob - p.s if the image doesnt load right click and choose show picture then it should load. Select the series that you want to change to a bar chart. Right click and choos...

Looking for sample data
I'm trying to learn a little about pivot tables and am looking for a larger spreadsheet than I care to build. Is there a link where I can get a reasonably large sheet with a lot of data? I seem to remember that I used to have one that I thought came from MS but I can't find the right combination of keywords that gets it to me. Or I might be imaging the whole thing... Any pointers? Norman Here's a link to the federal energy website with lots of data: http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/mecs/mecs2002/data02/shelltables.html Don't know if that's helpful, but there are tons of spre...

xy scatter plot and split function clarification
I have data like this in a file. i need to draw a simple XY scatter plot, 221 -255 196 -255 191 -255 181 -255 168 -255 159 -255 151 -255 150 -255 105 -255 I opening this file and try to use split function Do Until EOF(TestFileNumber) Line Input #TestFileNumber, TempStr If TempStr = "" Then 'Do nothing Else ReDim Preserve Str2(Count) Str2 = Split((TempStr), " ") Count = Count + 1 End If but Str2 array indexes are always 0 and 1 though count increments and how do i draw the xyscatter chart whi...

Formula to sum data from a data range
Ok here's what I need to do. My sheet contains list of transactions by date and tx number spread over several years. I am trying to automatically pull subtotals for each fiscal year out of this LONG list of data. Example: ID Date IssueAmt Sold Date 1380 12/1/1998 $66.00 12/1/1998 1381 12/1/1998 $66.00 12/1/1998 I need a formula that will sum the "Issue Amounts" if the "Date" falls within a particular range, ie. 11/25/1998-11/28/1999. Any help you all can give me I am extremely greatful for. I've been pulling my hair out all day today with IF, AND, and OR ...

How to deploy multi-Tenancy within 1 CRM server (using CRM 4)
Hi I have created & import the New Organization via Deployment Manager and I am aware that in the process of creating/ importing, the OLD Organization is removed. Can I have the 2 Organizations installed within the same BOX? If yes, how can I setup another Instance (CRM 4) beside using Virtual PC. If no, does it mean, I need another Box for another CRM instances pointing to another Organization? Thanks AS far as i understand your question , you need to create new organization unit on the same Box? if so and if you have CRM 4.0 enterprise edition then you can create new organizat...

How to print a graph/document using Metafile ?
Hi, I have an MFC code written for printing a graph/document from my application to the printer directly. It is identifying the printer, and the document gets initialised in the printer spool, but it is not printing. When i check the data size of the spool document it shows 0 bytes!. As the same time, if i try to paste manually the data on Paint, I am getting the required output in paint. ( ie. data is available on the Clipboard but not getting printed) Can anybody help me in resolving this at the earliest. Thanks in advance. /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////...

Copying cell data automatically?
If you want something from cell (A) to appear in cell (B) and be dependent on the first cell, i.e, when cell A text changes so does cell B, how do I do that? It depends You can use an IF statement =IF(A1=1,"Something","SomethingElse") Or if there are many different inputs you can create a table somewhere A One B Two C Three And use VLOOKUP HTH PC "Acurran" <Acurran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:50C72329-771C-45E4-8945-E5EB71C5BDCB@microsoft.com... > If you want something from cell (A) to appear in cell (B) and ...

XY Scatter Chart
I need some help with an XY Scatter chart. I need to add a data table to the chart. Is there a way to do this? I routinely add the data table to line and bar charts. In this case the data needs to be in the xy scatter format. Thanks Here is a works around, I will assume the data is in columns Select the data and copy Move to an unused part of the worksheet; used Edit | Paste Special, specify Transpose Put borders on the new 'table' and adjust the column width Select the new table; with SHIFT help down use Edit; use the Copy as Picture item Move to your chart and copy the picture o...

Scatter Plot
Hello, Is there a way of adding labels to points (besides series name, x and y) besides writing VBA code? Thanks. Bill Check out Rob Bovey's "XY Chart Labeler" add-in: http://www.appspro.com/utilities/Labeler.asp In article <egLFGKS3DHA.3936@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, "Bill" <whmc2@ix.netcom.com> wrote: > Hello, > Is there a way of adding labels to points (besides series name, x and y) > besides writing VBA code? > > Thanks. > > Bill > > ...