Scatter chart with text labels as Y axis?

I have a series of worksheets, each representing tournament scores on a
particular pinball machine. Each sheet looks like this:

Player  Score       LoTR
Me     3,000,000
Her    2,000,000
You    1,000,000

Player names in column A, scores in column B, and the name of that machine
in cell C1.

I want to create a scatter chart like this:

LoTR |              *         *         *

AFM  |                                           *  **

ST    |                 *     *              *
       +---------------------------------------
       0              1          2         3         4

Where each player score shows up as a data point on the scatter chart, with
scores running along the X axis and (here's the kicker) the text label on
the Y axis. This will enable people to visually ascertain the range and
distribution of scores for each machine.

I'm having trouble setting up the chart. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

0
blaq (10)

There's a lengthy to simulate what you were describing, even though it's not
exactly the same.  It's worth a try though:
1. Fill LoTR column with value 3, AFM column with 2, ST column with 1
2. Chart Score column (from LoTR sheet) and LoTR column in a scatter
charter, with Score as X values and LoTR as Y values, LoTR column header as
series name
3. Copy Score column (from AFM sheet) and AFM column, paste special into
existing chart as new series, AFM column header as series name
4. Repeat step 3 with ST sheet data
5. Remove Y-axis label
6. Move legend to the left, this will act as the Y axis label
7. Stretch and move legend so each series name in legend lines up with data
on the chart.

You can do whatever else formatting on the chart to make it look better.  If
there are more than 3 sheets of game data, I think you get the idea of how
this works.  Good luck.

-Simon

"Charles Blaquière" wrote:

> I have a series of worksheets, each representing tournament scores on a
> particular pinball machine. Each sheet looks like this:
>
> Player  Score       LoTR
> Me     3,000,000
> Her    2,000,000
> You    1,000,000
>
> Player names in column A, scores in column B, and the name of that machine
> in cell C1.
>
> I want to create a scatter chart like this:
>
> LoTR |              *         *         *
> AFM  |                                           *  **
> ST    |                 *     *              *
>        +---------------------------------------
>        0              1          2         3         4
>
> Where each player score shows up as a data point on the scatter chart, with
> scores running along the X axis and (here's the kicker) the text label on
> the Y axis. This will enable people to visually ascertain the range and
> distribution of scores for each machine.
>
> I'm having trouble setting up the chart. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

0
SiC (3)
6/1/2006 9:19:01 PM
Check the example here:

   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Y_CategoryAxis.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Charles Blaqui�re" <blaq@blaqzone.com> wrote in message
>I have a series of worksheets, each representing tournament scores on a
>particular pinball machine. Each sheet looks like this:
>
> Player  Score       LoTR
> Me     3,000,000
> Her    2,000,000
> You    1,000,000
>
> Player names in column A, scores in column B, and the name of that machine
> in cell C1.
>
> I want to create a scatter chart like this:
>
> LoTR |              *         *         *
> AFM  |                                           *  **
> ST    |                 *     *              *
>       +---------------------------------------
>       0              1          2         3         4
>
> Where each player score shows up as a data point on the scatter chart,
> with scores running along the X axis and (here's the kicker) the text
> label on the Y axis. This will enable people to visually ascertain the
> range and distribution of scores for each machine.
>
> I'm having trouble setting up the chart. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Integrated bar chart and line chart
Hi, I have the following columns:- Date of Count (Column T) No. of Bins Counted Average Daily Total (Column U) Number of Goods in Bin Accuracy (Column V) Average Daily (Column W) Percentage of SKU accuracy (Column X) Average Daily Percentage of Lot Code accuracy (Column Y) I am looking to have a combined Bar and Line Graph with the abov columns. I want column T to be on the X Axis, and there to be two axis. Column U will be numeric, and use the first y axis, and column V,W,X will be a percentage figure, which will be related to th secondary y axis. I can't get it to work. Plea...

Chart question #2
I have a chart that gives percentage 10-50 by 5's on y axis and th months May and June on the x axis. I want to add July. How do I d this? Also, In my spreadsheet, I have stats from July thru May(left t right). I need it to show up on the chart as May thru July(left t right) how do i do this. THanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Select the July data, and drag it onto the chart, or copy the July data, select the chart, and choose Edit>Paste To reverse the months -- Double-click on the X-axis In the Format Axis dialog box, select the Scale tab Add a check mark ...

scatter
Assume 1000 pairs in 2 columns with values similiar to (12.2,17233). x is in the range of 8.4-19.2 and y is 0-20000. The x axis is on the bottom and the y is on the left with x crossing y @ maximum y How does one plot this? Have you tried this? What happened? Where did you get stuck? -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <98E0E92C-1444-4327-B272-BCAA25A62259@microsoft.com>, shennigan@peiinc.com says... > Assume 1000 pairs in 2 columns with values similia...

Chart Question 02-25-10
I am doing a column chart in SSRS 2008. Is there a function or a way to mouse over the bar and see the data value of the column. I see there is a way to show the value in the bar but I want to be able to mouse over it (value appears then disappears) like in excel. Is this possible? Thanks in advance I am afraid you cannot, but serach for charts from third party tools , perhaps they do have "OriginalStealth" <OriginalStealth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3B098815-E10E-40E0-9E6E-A9F525566040@microsoft.com... >I am doing a column...

Question about Pie Charts
On Pie Charts: when changing the data, sometimes the lines that link the text and data to the corresponding pie sector are drawn unnecessaryly long, leaving the data out of the chart. How can I limit those lines' length, for different sets of data?. Thanks. Guillermo. ...

plugin for scientific charting
Is there any plugin to obtain a professional scattered plot like gnuplot? See the response to the concurrent discussion on the same subject in the same newsgroup. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <oJRXb.318111$_P.11019931@news4.tin.it>, balgherNOSPAM@libero.it says... > Is there any plugin to obtain a professional scattered plot like gnuplot? > > > ...

Excel Chart
Hello, I have 10 rows, each row with a percentage value. This percentage value has the following interpretation: 0% > Low 50% > Normal 100% > High I would like to represent this in a chart for the 10 rows. I was thinking in having a chart where for each item I would have something similar to a slider. When I mean a slider, I mean only its representation, not the slide functionality: http://www.phatfusion.net/slider/ Is this possible in excel? What other alternatives you suggest me to represent this data? Excel 2007 Chart with horizontal 3D sliders. http://www.mediafire.com/file...

Dynamic Range Charting
I am charting the number of units in various territories. I am trying to create a data range that varies depending on the number territories being analysed. I set the range to be large enough to accomodate the largest group (e.g. when there are 11 territories to chart my data range is e3:f13, but when there are only 3 territories the actual data in this range is confined to the cells e3:f5. Even though my formulas within the unused cells in my data range eliminate the values and replace them with a blank cell, the chart legend still shows the colours for the missing territories wi...

XY Scatter chart
I have a scatter chart with one PAIR of data for each of 31 business activities. For example, two data points for "Delivery," one showing the ranked importance of this activity and the the second point showing the organization's performance in this category. Unfortunately, the descriptions of these business activities are a lot longer than the above example and R. Bovey's XY Labeler results in a crowded, unreadable chart. Is there any way to name these business activities on the X Axis, at a 45 or 90 degree angle? Put the description in one column. In 2 adjacent...

Searching for first and last in a table to chart (gantt)
I am using a rather large table and need to search for the first and last cell that has a value entered in a particular row and return the cooresponding date in that column. The table has a few columns showing task name etc that there is serveral rows that represent a date. In each row a number is put in a column that matches a date or is left blank. I have tried to llustrate this below __ |A1__|___B1___ |__C1_|__D1_|....|__E1_|__H1_|__I1_|__J1_|__K1__| A2|Task | Sub Task |Phase| Name| |01/05| 02/05| 03/05|04/05| 05/05 | A3| Xt Xs Yp Xn | null | ...

Receive mails in plain text
Is it possible to force Outlook to receive any mail in plain text format, even though the original was sent in html? There is one location to change the default value in Tools-> Options-> tab Mail Format and one option to change it in the message to make exceptions, but this is just for sending. Peter Sorensen Copenhagen Hello Peter look at this http://ntbugtraq.ntadvice.com/default.asp? sid=1&pid=55&did=38 or you could do it by yourself Please go in the REGISTRY HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0 \Outlook\Options\Mail There you makes a new DWORD and ...

creating text file without delimiters
Does anyone know how to create a text file without delimiters from an excel doc. I need to create this file to use as import to another application. I would really like to just save it without the delimiters. For example, there are three columns in excel doc. col 1 col 2 col 3 52 100 13321 I want to save the data to look like 5210013321 without any spaces, commas or other delimiters. Thanks in advance One way: Public Sub NoDelimiterSV() Dim myRecord As Range Dim myField As Range Dim nFileNum As Long Dim sOu...

can i chart my data in the font color?
I would like my chart to display my data points in the color of the font i enter them in . ie.... a red font would display a red bar and a black font a black bar. Does anyone know if this is possible? You would have to write a macro to do this automatically. If you only have a couple of charts to do, You might want to just select the individual bar and change the color yourself. depending on the graph type selected, you could also separate out the data into different series depending on the color you want to use, and plot using a stacked bar chart "larry" wrote: >...

How not to chart empty spaces
I am trying to create a chart that may have a max of 50 rows of data, but usually has only 30 rows of data. Is there a way to build the chart so that if additional info is entered (up to 50 rows) it will all be charted, but atthe same time, if there are less than 50 rows of data, the chart doesn't utilize the empty rows? Thanks in advance. John Jon Peltier has information on creating dynamic charts: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html John Guts wrote: > I am trying to create a chart that may have a max of 50 > rows of data, but usually has only 30 ...

Inactive chart icon
In a shared folder I have many .xls files. On some the chart icon i grayed out.On others it works normally. None of the help screens ha helped ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Probably those workbooks are shared, which means that lots of features aren't available. For more information, look in Excel's Help, under "Features that are unavailable in shared workbooks" magison wrote: > In a shared folder I have many .xls files. On some t...

Excell - organization chart
Is it possible when working in an Excell organizational chart to attach a co-worker to the top level as when their are co-directors. I cannot find a way to do this. At the top level, the co-worker selection is not available, only the assistant or subordinate. did your try microsoft organisation chart 2.. Insert object and check microsoft organisation chart 2.0 . Here two managers are possible mine excel 2000 codirector to top level of org chart <codirector to top level of org chart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C109C8A8-FBC3-44A1-B675-2620C9EB3A68@microsof...

Scatter and bar
Hi I have posted a screen shot of my chart here - http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs35&d=05260&f=chart.jpg I would like to know if it is possible with the chart to change the turquoise line named Digester feed mean % DS to work with the scatter chart using the secondary axis already in place as a bar mixed scatter chart? I really appreciate your comments i think the chart would look great like this. Many Thanks Rob - p.s if the image doesnt load right click and choose show picture then it should load. Select the series that you want to change to a bar chart. Right click and choos...

Omitting zero values from pie charts
I have about 12 variables from which I would automatically like to produce a pie chart each month. However in any one month at least 6 of these variables will be zero. I don't want these to be included on my pie chart or legend. Any ideas on how to do this. Thanks in advance. CiaraG 1. Add a heading to the column that contains the values. Amt Jan 10 Feb 0 Mar 8 2. Select the labels and values, and create a pie chart 3. Select a cell in the table, and choose Data>Filter>AutoFilter 4. From the dropdown in the Amt heading, choose Custom 5. From the...

transferring from excel to text
I am trying to take a couple of columns from an excel spreadsheet to a plain text format. I can not copy and paste because it takes the cells and formats it so the words and numbers are no all over the page. HELP PLEASE??? lbierer wrote: > I am trying to take a couple of columns from an excel spreadsheet to a plain > text format. I can not copy and paste because it takes the cells and formats > it so the words and numbers are no all over the page. HELP PLEASE??? File > save as > select Formatted text in the save as drop down gls858 ...

How do I get Publisher to add pop-up text to a hyperlink?
I would like to add a pop-up text to a hyperlink of a picture, so that when a user scrolls over the hyperlinked picture a test box or just plain test pops up identifying the page it will take them to (i.e., "photos" or "contact us"). Is there a way to do this in publisher for an image map, or, forgoing that, to make the picture hyperlink make a sperate text link on the page highlight itself identifying where the link leads to? Thanks! ...

Can a text box on a chart be locked to an X-Y coordinate location on the chart?
I would like a text box to remain at a particlar location on a chart in terms of the scale of the chart. So, if new data causes the X-axis or Y-axis to rescale, the text box remains at the same X-Y coordinate. This does not seem to be the default behavior, and i cannot find a way to accomplish it. Please let me know if there is a way. Much thanks! You could always try recalculating what the new position should be from the max and min values of the axes and then setting top and left parameters of your text box accordingly. -- mrice Research Scientist with many years of spreadsh...

charts are greyed out
I have multiple charts in a worksheet and when the charts are not selected they are greyed out. I think I caused this by hitting some combination of keys by accident, but I don't know how to undo it. Hi, Check Tools > Options. On View tab check Objects is set to Show All Cheers Andy saw4ut wrote: > I have multiple charts in a worksheet and when the charts are not selected > they are greyed out. I think I caused this by hitting some combination of > keys by accident, but I don't know how to undo it. -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Linked Charts Lose Formatting
I'm creating a "dashboard" for my company, and as part of this, am linking various information (charts, tables, documents) into one Excel file, and I'm then saving the file as a web page for others to browse. Everything seems to be working, but some of the charts I've copied from another Excel file are losing their numeric formatting. For example, the horizontal axis is formatted as dates in the original file, but in the linked file, they show up as the date serial number (i.e., 39325, 39326, etc.). Also, the numbers in the data table for the chart are no long...

xy scatter plot and split function clarification
I have data like this in a file. i need to draw a simple XY scatter plot, 221 -255 196 -255 191 -255 181 -255 168 -255 159 -255 151 -255 150 -255 105 -255 I opening this file and try to use split function Do Until EOF(TestFileNumber) Line Input #TestFileNumber, TempStr If TempStr = "" Then 'Do nothing Else ReDim Preserve Str2(Count) Str2 = Split((TempStr), " ") Count = Count + 1 End If but Str2 array indexes are always 0 and 1 though count increments and how do i draw the xyscatter chart whi...

referencing text in an IF statement
I am trying to use an IF statement to look for text in range of cells but cannot get it to return the value I want I think because I'm searching for text not a value. If any cell in a column contains the text "Error" I want the cell I'm in to also read "Error". Here's the formula I have but it won't work: =IF(OR(A122:A457="Error"),"Error",""). Any suggestions? Hi, try =if(COUNTIF(a122:a457,"Error")>0,"Error","") "Michelle Thompson" wrote: > I am trying to use...