Scatter chart for real-time tracking of a single cell value ?

Hi. I use Excel 2003. On a spreadsheet connected to a DDE data feed, I
have a cell containing an integer number that updates and changes
constantly during the day.

I would like to chart the number in that cell in real-time second by
second between certain hours of the day. I have been told that it may
be possible to use a scatter chart to do this but I have not been able
to make it work or to find useful help files. It seems to me that the
problem has to do with charting a single cell rather than a range but
I'm not sure.

Any practical advice or pointer to a "how-to" web site would be very
helpful.

Thanks in advance

Joe

You can't get a single point plotted? Or you can't get a chart that shows
the current and recent values of the DDE value?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

<eastside877@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I use Excel 2003. On a spreadsheet connected to a DDE data feed, I
> have a cell containing an integer number that updates and changes
> constantly during the day.
>
> I would like to chart the number in that cell in real-time second by
> second between certain hours of the day. I have been told that it may
> be possible to use a scatter chart to do this but I have not been able
> to make it work or to find useful help files. It seems to me that the
> problem has to do with charting a single cell rather than a range but
> I'm not sure.
>
> Any practical advice or pointer to a "how-to" web site would be very
> helpful.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Joe

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
2/1/2007 9:01:33 PM
On Feb 1, 1:01 pm, "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmv...@SPAMpeltiertech.com>
wrote:
> You can't get a single point plotted? Or you can't get a chart that shows
> the current and recent values of the DDE value?
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutionshttp://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>
> <eastside...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > Hi. I use Excel 2003. On a spreadsheet connected to a DDE data feed, I
> > have a cell containing an integer number that updates and changes
> > constantly during the day.
>
> > I would like to chart the number in that cell in real-time second by
> > second between certain hours of the day. I have been told that it may
> > be possible to use a scatter chart to do this but I have not been able
> > to make it work or to find useful help files. It seems to me that the
> > problem has to do with charting a single cell rather than a range but
> > I'm not sure.
>
> > Any practical advice or pointer to a "how-to" web site would be very
> > helpful.
>
> > Thanks in advance
>
> > Joe- Hide quoted text -

Hi Jon. Actually, the cell contains the sum of several DDE values. I
need a chart that will plot that value every second (or few seconds)
over several minutes or hours on a line chart. So it is the recent and
current values of the cell that I need to plot.

Joe

eastside877

I have done what you want,  charting process control data,  several times.

The trick is to have an automatically  updating dynamic data range where
your new data values go. You should capture the date-time as well as the
read. You can either have the DDE append your real time value directly to
the end of your dynamic data range, or have a worksheet based procedure
transfer the new value to the dynamic range whenever the DDE cell is
updated.

Your chart can then be set to plot the last 10, 100, or whatever number of
reads you want from the dynamic range. Your chart will update as soon as the
Dude value is written to your workbook.

Here's a link to example dynamic charts that I have on my site.

http://processtrends.com/TOC_dynamic_charts.htm

Kelly

http://processtrends.com

> On Feb 1, 1:01 pm, "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmv...@SPAMpeltiertech.com>
> wrote:
>> You can't get a single point plotted? Or you can't get a chart that shows
>> the current and recent values of the DDE value?
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutionshttp://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>
>> <eastside...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> > Hi. I use Excel 2003. On a spreadsheet connected to a DDE data feed, I
>> > have a cell containing an integer number that updates and changes
>> > constantly during the day.
>>
>> > I would like to chart the number in that cell in real-time second by
>> > second between certain hours of the day. I have been told that it may
>> > be possible to use a scatter chart to do this but I have not been able
>> > to make it work or to find useful help files. It seems to me that the
>> > problem has to do with charting a single cell rather than a range but
>> > I'm not sure.
>>
>> > Any practical advice or pointer to a "how-to" web site would be very
>> > helpful.
>>
>> > Thanks in advance
>>
>> > Joe- Hide quoted text -

> Hi Jon. Actually, the cell contains the sum of several DDE values. I
> need a chart that will plot that value every second (or few seconds)
> over several minutes or hours on a line chart. So it is the recent and
> current values of the cell that I need to plot.
>
> Joe

0
dkod (205)
2/2/2007 1:14:05 AM
I've used event procedures to update a growing table of numbers, placing the
latest values at the bottom. You could grow this indefinitely, or remove a
row from the top every time you add one at the bottom. Setting this up to
run robustly is a trick; the dynamic charts based on the archived data are
pretty easy to handle.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

<eastside877@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Feb 1, 1:01 pm, "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmv...@SPAMpeltiertech.com>
> wrote:
>> You can't get a single point plotted? Or you can't get a chart that shows
>> the current and recent values of the DDE value?
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutionshttp://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>
>> <eastside...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> > Hi. I use Excel 2003. On a spreadsheet connected to a DDE data feed, I
>> > have a cell containing an integer number that updates and changes
>> > constantly during the day.
>>
>> > I would like to chart the number in that cell in real-time second by
>> > second between certain hours of the day. I have been told that it may
>> > be possible to use a scatter chart to do this but I have not been able
>> > to make it work or to find useful help files. It seems to me that the
>> > problem has to do with charting a single cell rather than a range but
>> > I'm not sure.
>>
>> > Any practical advice or pointer to a "how-to" web site would be very
>> > helpful.
>>
>> > Thanks in advance
>>
>> > Joe- Hide quoted text -

> Hi Jon. Actually, the cell contains the sum of several DDE values. I
> need a chart that will plot that value every second (or few seconds)
> over several minutes or hours on a line chart. So it is the recent and
> current values of the cell that I need to plot.
>
> Joe

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
2/2/2007 1:57:44 AM
On Feb 1, 5:14 pm, "Kelly O'Day" <d...@comcast.net> wrote:
> eastside877
>
> I have done what you want,  charting process control data,  several times.
>
> The trick is to have an automatically  updating dynamic data range where
> your new data values go. You should capture the date-time as well as the
> read. You can either have the DDE append your real time value directly to
> the end of your dynamic data range, or have a worksheet based procedure
> transfer the new value to the dynamic range whenever the DDE cell is
> updated.
>
> Your chart can then be set to plot the last 10, 100, or whatever number of
> reads you want from the dynamic range. Your chart will update as soon as the
> Dude value is written to your workbook.
>
> Here's a link to example dynamic charts that I have on my site.
>
> http://processtrends.com/TOC_dynamic_charts.htm
>
> Kelly
>
> http://processtrends.com
>
> <eastside...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > On Feb 1, 1:01 pm, "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmv...@SPAMpeltiertech.com>
> > wrote:
> >> You can't get a single point plotted? Or you can't get a chart that shows
> >> the current and recent values of the DDE value?
>
> >> - Jon
> >> -------
> >> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> >> Tutorials and Custom Solutionshttp://PeltierTech.com
> >> _______
>
> >> <eastside...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > Hi Jon. Actually, the cell contains the sum of several DDE values. I
> > need a chart that will plot that value every second (or few seconds)
> > over several minutes or hours on a line chart. So it is the recent and
> > current values of the cell that I need to plot.
>
> > Joe- Hide quoted text -

Great! I am going to check your web site and experiment. Thanks for
the help, it's much appreciated.

Joe

On Feb 1, 5:57 pm, "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmv...@SPAMpeltiertech.com>
wrote:
> I've used event procedures to update a growing table of numbers, placing the
> latest values at the bottom. You could grow this indefinitely, or remove a
> row from the top every time you add one at the bottom. Setting this up to
> run robustly is a trick; the dynamic charts based on the archived data are
> pretty easy to handle.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutionshttp://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>
> <eastside...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > On Feb 1, 1:01 pm, "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmv...@SPAMpeltiertech.com>
> > wrote:
> >> You can't get a single point plotted? Or you can't get a chart that shows
> >> the current and recent values of the DDE value?
>
> >> - Jon
> >> -------
> >> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> >> Tutorials and Custom Solutionshttp://PeltierTech.com
> >> _______
>
> >> <eastside...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > Hi Jon. Actually, the cell contains the sum of several DDE values. I
> > need a chart that will plot that value every second (or few seconds)
> > over several minutes or hours on a line chart. So it is the recent and
> > current values of the cell that I need to plot.
>
> > Joe- Hide quoted text -

Thanks a lot for the help. Much appreciated. I looked up (and
marked :-) your web site. Lots of good stuff there.

It looks like between your and Kelly's advice I should be able to
figure out something now.

Thanks again,

Joe

Integrated bar chart and line chart
Hi, I have the following columns:- Date of Count (Column T) No. of Bins Counted Average Daily Total (Column U) Number of Goods in Bin Accuracy (Column V) Average Daily (Column W) Percentage of SKU accuracy (Column X) Average Daily Percentage of Lot Code accuracy (Column Y) I am looking to have a combined Bar and Line Graph with the abov columns. I want column T to be on the X Axis, and there to be two axis. Column U will be numeric, and use the first y axis, and column V,W,X will be a percentage figure, which will be related to th secondary y axis. I can't get it to work. Plea...

Macro to hide rows with zero values in columns
Hi, I've got a large workbook with a minimum of 75 sheets of data. Each sheet contains 8 columns and 237 rows. Many of the rows in the report have zero values in the columns. I'd like to create a macro that will hide all rows with zero values in all sheets. Any suggestions? which column or___________ -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "K Dawson" <KDawson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:102EED61-5B56-4342-9151-65AFCA84E13F@microsoft.com... > Hi, > I've got a large workbook with a ...

Chart question #2
I have a chart that gives percentage 10-50 by 5's on y axis and th months May and June on the x axis. I want to add July. How do I d this? Also, In my spreadsheet, I have stats from July thru May(left t right). I need it to show up on the chart as May thru July(left t right) how do i do this. THanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Select the July data, and drag it onto the chart, or copy the July data, select the chart, and choose Edit>Paste To reverse the months -- Double-click on the X-axis In the Format Axis dialog box, select the Scale tab Add a check mark ...

Delete an image from the cell
Delete an image from the cell Hi I am transforming html report content (which is generated using XML and XSLT) into Excel wroksheet. I opened the excel file and delete the image from the cell but the excel does not allow to delete an image. I could not able to find the properties of the cell. How could i delete the image from the cell? Thanks Yuva. Cells can contain constants, formulae, or errors. They cannot contain images/shapes. Images exist in the drawing layer above the sheet, and can be accessed via the shapes or pictures collection. In article <B6561E41-1068-477B-99E3-A...

scatter
Assume 1000 pairs in 2 columns with values similiar to (12.2,17233). x is in the range of 8.4-19.2 and y is 0-20000. The x axis is on the bottom and the y is on the left with x crossing y @ maximum y How does one plot this? Have you tried this? What happened? Where did you get stuck? -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <98E0E92C-1444-4327-B272-BCAA25A62259@microsoft.com>, shennigan@peiinc.com says... > Assume 1000 pairs in 2 columns with values similia...

Chart Question 02-25-10
I am doing a column chart in SSRS 2008. Is there a function or a way to mouse over the bar and see the data value of the column. I see there is a way to show the value in the bar but I want to be able to mouse over it (value appears then disappears) like in excel. Is this possible? Thanks in advance I am afraid you cannot, but serach for charts from third party tools , perhaps they do have "OriginalStealth" <OriginalStealth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3B098815-E10E-40E0-9E6E-A9F525566040@microsoft.com... >I am doing a column...

plugin for scientific charting
Is there any plugin to obtain a professional scattered plot like gnuplot? See the response to the concurrent discussion on the same subject in the same newsgroup. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <oJRXb.318111$_P.11019931@news4.tin.it>, balgherNOSPAM@libero.it says... > Is there any plugin to obtain a professional scattered plot like gnuplot? > > > ...

Question about Pie Charts
On Pie Charts: when changing the data, sometimes the lines that link the text and data to the corresponding pie sector are drawn unnecessaryly long, leaving the data out of the chart. How can I limit those lines' length, for different sets of data?. Thanks. Guillermo. ...

Dynamic Range Charting
I am charting the number of units in various territories. I am trying to create a data range that varies depending on the number territories being analysed. I set the range to be large enough to accomodate the largest group (e.g. when there are 11 territories to chart my data range is e3:f13, but when there are only 3 territories the actual data in this range is confined to the cells e3:f5. Even though my formulas within the unused cells in my data range eliminate the values and replace them with a blank cell, the chart legend still shows the colours for the missing territories wi...

Excel Chart
Hello, I have 10 rows, each row with a percentage value. This percentage value has the following interpretation: 0% > Low 50% > Normal 100% > High I would like to represent this in a chart for the 10 rows. I was thinking in having a chart where for each item I would have something similar to a slider. When I mean a slider, I mean only its representation, not the slide functionality: http://www.phatfusion.net/slider/ Is this possible in excel? What other alternatives you suggest me to represent this data? Excel 2007 Chart with horizontal 3D sliders. http://www.mediafire.com/file...

Searching for first and last in a table to chart (gantt)
I am using a rather large table and need to search for the first and last cell that has a value entered in a particular row and return the cooresponding date in that column. The table has a few columns showing task name etc that there is serveral rows that represent a date. In each row a number is put in a column that matches a date or is left blank. I have tried to llustrate this below __ |A1__|___B1___ |__C1_|__D1_|....|__E1_|__H1_|__I1_|__J1_|__K1__| A2|Task | Sub Task |Phase| Name| |01/05| 02/05| 03/05|04/05| 05/05 | A3| Xt Xs Yp Xn | null | ...

XY Scatter chart
I have a scatter chart with one PAIR of data for each of 31 business activities. For example, two data points for "Delivery," one showing the ranked importance of this activity and the the second point showing the organization's performance in this category. Unfortunately, the descriptions of these business activities are a lot longer than the above example and R. Bovey's XY Labeler results in a crowded, unreadable chart. Is there any way to name these business activities on the X Axis, at a 45 or 90 degree angle? Put the description in one column. In 2 adjacent...

can i chart my data in the font color?
I would like my chart to display my data points in the color of the font i enter them in . ie.... a red font would display a red bar and a black font a black bar. Does anyone know if this is possible? You would have to write a macro to do this automatically. If you only have a couple of charts to do, You might want to just select the individual bar and change the color yourself. depending on the graph type selected, you could also separate out the data into different series depending on the color you want to use, and plot using a stacked bar chart "larry" wrote: >...

How not to chart empty spaces
I am trying to create a chart that may have a max of 50 rows of data, but usually has only 30 rows of data. Is there a way to build the chart so that if additional info is entered (up to 50 rows) it will all be charted, but atthe same time, if there are less than 50 rows of data, the chart doesn't utilize the empty rows? Thanks in advance. John Jon Peltier has information on creating dynamic charts: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html John Guts wrote: > I am trying to create a chart that may have a max of 50 > rows of data, but usually has only 30 ...

Inactive chart icon
In a shared folder I have many .xls files. On some the chart icon i grayed out.On others it works normally. None of the help screens ha helped ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Probably those workbooks are shared, which means that lots of features aren't available. For more information, look in Excel's Help, under "Features that are unavailable in shared workbooks" magison wrote: > In a shared folder I have many .xls files. On some t...

Excell - organization chart
Is it possible when working in an Excell organizational chart to attach a co-worker to the top level as when their are co-directors. I cannot find a way to do this. At the top level, the co-worker selection is not available, only the assistant or subordinate. did your try microsoft organisation chart 2.. Insert object and check microsoft organisation chart 2.0 . Here two managers are possible mine excel 2000 codirector to top level of org chart <codirector to top level of org chart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C109C8A8-FBC3-44A1-B675-2620C9EB3A68@microsof...

Scatter and bar
Hi I have posted a screen shot of my chart here - http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs35&d=05260&f=chart.jpg I would like to know if it is possible with the chart to change the turquoise line named Digester feed mean % DS to work with the scatter chart using the secondary axis already in place as a bar mixed scatter chart? I really appreciate your comments i think the chart would look great like this. Many Thanks Rob - p.s if the image doesnt load right click and choose show picture then it should load. Select the series that you want to change to a bar chart. Right click and choos...

referencing a cell in another worksheet
Hi, I want cell F55 in worksheet "January" to display what is typed in cell B6 of worksheet "Sheet 1". These two worksheets are in the same workbook. I've typed "=Sheet1!B6" in cell F55, but instead of displaying "Jan. 4" which is what is typed into cell B6 it is showing me the forumla that i typed. What am i doing wrong/ how do i fix this? you might have pressed Ctrl+~ key. Try pressing it again. -- Karthi "Shannan" wrote: > Hi, > I want cell F55 in worksheet "January" to display what is typed in ...

Can a text box on a chart be locked to an X-Y coordinate location on the chart?
I would like a text box to remain at a particlar location on a chart in terms of the scale of the chart. So, if new data causes the X-axis or Y-axis to rescale, the text box remains at the same X-Y coordinate. This does not seem to be the default behavior, and i cannot find a way to accomplish it. Please let me know if there is a way. Much thanks! You could always try recalculating what the new position should be from the max and min values of the axes and then setting top and left parameters of your text box accordingly. -- mrice Research Scientist with many years of spreadsh...

Track Changes
Can it be changed to work as per 2000? Thanks Chris In news:72BF80FE-45FC-4EFF-B8E6-C8A220DD186A@microsoft.com, havenlad <havenlad@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > Can it be changed to work as per 2000? > > Thanks > > Chris What exactly are you trying to do? This is more of a Word thing, if I understand you correctly. General notes: When you post in here, always include your version, SP level, and mode (if applicable) of Outlook - you can find this information in Help | About. Also include the type of mail account(s) you use and any other pertinent details. B...

Omitting zero values from pie charts
I have about 12 variables from which I would automatically like to produce a pie chart each month. However in any one month at least 6 of these variables will be zero. I don't want these to be included on my pie chart or legend. Any ideas on how to do this. Thanks in advance. CiaraG 1. Add a heading to the column that contains the values. Amt Jan 10 Feb 0 Mar 8 2. Select the labels and values, and create a pie chart 3. Select a cell in the table, and choose Data>Filter>AutoFilter 4. From the dropdown in the Amt heading, choose Custom 5. From the...

how to define "previous" cells?
I need to get the sum of two previous cells. But the row location name may change. C3 = C1 + C2 but after sorting and re-group and move this may becomes row E3 = E1 + E2 How can I make a general formula of the sum of two previous cells? Thank you. On Dec 22, 8:37=A0am, "A. H. K." <nos...@nospam.com> wrote: > I need to get the sum of two previous cells. > But the row location name may change. > C3 =3D C1 + C2 > > but after sorting and re-group and move this may becomes row > E3 =3D E1 + E2 > > How can I make a general formula of the sum of two previo...

charts are greyed out
I have multiple charts in a worksheet and when the charts are not selected they are greyed out. I think I caused this by hitting some combination of keys by accident, but I don't know how to undo it. Hi, Check Tools > Options. On View tab check Objects is set to Show All Cheers Andy saw4ut wrote: > I have multiple charts in a worksheet and when the charts are not selected > they are greyed out. I think I caused this by hitting some combination of > keys by accident, but I don't know how to undo it. -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Linked Charts Lose Formatting
I'm creating a "dashboard" for my company, and as part of this, am linking various information (charts, tables, documents) into one Excel file, and I'm then saving the file as a web page for others to browse. Everything seems to be working, but some of the charts I've copied from another Excel file are losing their numeric formatting. For example, the horizontal axis is formatted as dates in the original file, but in the linked file, they show up as the date serial number (i.e., 39325, 39326, etc.). Also, the numbers in the data table for the chart are no long...

Preventing cell contents from printing
I've got cells in my worksheet that I've changed the font color and background color the same, so the contents are not visible when viewing the sheet... I don't want the contents of these cells to be printed either... Is there a way to prevent them from printing? Depending on the specific printer and the color you chose to use, try: <File> <PageSetup> <Sheet> tab, And *UNCHECK* "Black & White". -- HTH, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may...