Scatter Chart Data Point Highlighting

I have a scatter chart with smooted lines and no data markers tha
represents a (one) mathematical function.  Is it possible to highligh
(mark) one data point and from that point draw parallel (dashed) line
to the x and y axes?

By hovering over the chart you can pop up the data values but I wan
(if possible) the parrallel lines to better visualize the position o
the selected point on the axes

--
rvExcelNewTi
rvExcelNewTip's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1566

Hi,

Add an extra series to the chart. This only needs a single x and y
value. Change the series to plot a data marker with no line. Use the X
and Y error bars of the new series to make connecting lines from the
point to the axes.

Cheers
Andy

rvExcelNewTip wrote:
> I have a scatter chart with smooted lines and no data markers that
> represents a (one) mathematical function.  Is it possible to highlight
> (mark) one data point and from that point draw parallel (dashed) lines
> to the x and y axes?
>
> By hovering over the chart you can pop up the data values but I want
> (if possible) the parrallel lines to better visualize the position of
> the selected point on the axes.

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Andy Pope wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Add an extra series to the chart. This only needs a single x and y
> value. Change the series to plot a data marker with no line. Use the X
> and Y error bars of the new series to make connecting lines from the
> point to the axes.
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> rvExcelNewTip wrote:
>
>> I have a scatter chart with smooted lines and no data markers that
>> represents a (one) mathematical function.  Is it possible to highlight
>> (mark) one data point and from that point draw parallel (dashed) lines
>> to the x and y axes?
>>
>> By hovering over the chart you can pop up the data values but I want
>> (if possible) the parrallel lines to better visualize the position of
>> the selected point on the axes.

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
0
andy9699 (3616)
1/6/2006 10:19:49 AM
In addition to Andy's suggestions, you may also want to look at

Hover Chart Label
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/chart_hover_label/index.html

and

Interactive Chart
http://www.tushar-
mehta.com/excel/software/interactive_chart_display/index.html

Neither is exactly what you want but...

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <rvExcelNewTip.217g0z_1136537100.9843@excelforum-
nospam.com>, rvExcelNewTip.217g0z_1136537100.9843@excelforum-nospam.com
says...

> I have a scatter chart with smooted lines and no data markers that
> represents a (one) mathematical function.  Is it possible to highlight
> (mark) one data point and from that point draw parallel (dashed) lines
> to the x and y axes?
>
> By hovering over the chart you can pop up the data values but I want
> (if possible) the parrallel lines to better visualize the position of
> the selected point on the axes.
>

> --
> rvExcelNewTip
> rvExcelNewTip's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15668
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=498625

I tried the error bar approach because it looked the simplest and mos
straightforward :).  But I'm now stuck with the following snag: Th
Y-axis has a logarithmic scale and whatever I try, I cannot get a
error bar DOWN from the data point to the X-axis!

I specified a value of 100% for the error, or alternatively I tried t
Customize with the Negative Y-value (workshell location of Y value) bu
to no avail. If I selected Both (to have the error bar extended on bot
sides of the data point) only the upper part showed up!

I'm working with Excel 2003.  Is this a bug or does it "works a
designed"? ;

--
rvExcelNewTi
rvExcelNewTip's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1566
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49862

Hi,

Try adding another single point that is the correct X value, Y value is
the same as where the x-axis crosses the Y axes. And use the + custom
error bar value linked to the Y value.
So the error bar is now connecting the axis to the point rather than the
point to the axis.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
0
andy9699 (3616)
1/8/2006 4:37:48 PM
That's cool Andy!

But do you have any eplanation for Excel's native behaviour?

--
rvExcelNewTip
rvExcelNewTip's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15668
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=498625

Integrated bar chart and line chart
Hi, I have the following columns:- Date of Count (Column T) No. of Bins Counted Average Daily Total (Column U) Number of Goods in Bin Accuracy (Column V) Average Daily (Column W) Percentage of SKU accuracy (Column X) Average Daily Percentage of Lot Code accuracy (Column Y) I am looking to have a combined Bar and Line Graph with the abov columns. I want column T to be on the X Axis, and there to be two axis. Column U will be numeric, and use the first y axis, and column V,W,X will be a percentage figure, which will be related to th secondary y axis. I can't get it to work. Plea...

Data validation for Multiple columns
Hi all, I am creating a spreadsheet which will have data entry from different users. I want to give the validation in such a way that a combination of values in 2 columns do not occur more than once. Like say A B 1 a 1 b 2 a 2 b 2 a in above example the combination 2 and a is recurring. it should be restricted by validation while entering the data itself. can anybody please help Regards NC Hi, sorry for bothering you all but i got a solution on other group here is link for others reference http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.programming...

Chart question #2
I have a chart that gives percentage 10-50 by 5's on y axis and th months May and June on the x axis. I want to add July. How do I d this? Also, In my spreadsheet, I have stats from July thru May(left t right). I need it to show up on the chart as May thru July(left t right) how do i do this. THanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Select the July data, and drag it onto the chart, or copy the July data, select the chart, and choose Edit>Paste To reverse the months -- Double-click on the X-axis In the Format Axis dialog box, select the Scale tab Add a check mark ...

scatter
Assume 1000 pairs in 2 columns with values similiar to (12.2,17233). x is in the range of 8.4-19.2 and y is 0-20000. The x axis is on the bottom and the y is on the left with x crossing y @ maximum y How does one plot this? Have you tried this? What happened? Where did you get stuck? -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <98E0E92C-1444-4327-B272-BCAA25A62259@microsoft.com>, shennigan@peiinc.com says... > Assume 1000 pairs in 2 columns with values similia...

Refresh Graph Data
Is there a way to refresh a graph's data? I am trying to graph total loans by month and starting with November. I want to add next month's without having to create a new graph... is this possible? Karen wrote: > Is there a way to refresh a graph's data? I am trying to graph total loans > by month and starting with November. I want to add next month's without > having to create a new graph... is this possible? > > ----------------- The technique I use is to put a colored row of cells at the bottom of the data with the message "Insert new row...

Removing a server and free/busy data
All, Question 1: I asked this question a while back and either no one knew an answer, or no one understood, so I will try asking it another way. Suppose I have an Exchange 2000 server that was the first mail server in the org, and an Exchange 2003 server, to which I have moved all of the mailboxes, and responsibilities of the first server. What is the difference between uninstalling the first exchange 2000 server v.s. just removing it from ESM? I have completed all of the steps necessary to uninstall, but for reasons that I don't want to go into, I can't uninstall it. Questio...

Chart Question 02-25-10
I am doing a column chart in SSRS 2008. Is there a function or a way to mouse over the bar and see the data value of the column. I see there is a way to show the value in the bar but I want to be able to mouse over it (value appears then disappears) like in excel. Is this possible? Thanks in advance I am afraid you cannot, but serach for charts from third party tools , perhaps they do have "OriginalStealth" <OriginalStealth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3B098815-E10E-40E0-9E6E-A9F525566040@microsoft.com... >I am doing a column...

Question about Pie Charts
On Pie Charts: when changing the data, sometimes the lines that link the text and data to the corresponding pie sector are drawn unnecessaryly long, leaving the data out of the chart. How can I limit those lines' length, for different sets of data?. Thanks. Guillermo. ...

plugin for scientific charting
Is there any plugin to obtain a professional scattered plot like gnuplot? See the response to the concurrent discussion on the same subject in the same newsgroup. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <oJRXb.318111$_P.11019931@news4.tin.it>, balgherNOSPAM@libero.it says... > Is there any plugin to obtain a professional scattered plot like gnuplot? > > > ...

Excel Chart
Hello, I have 10 rows, each row with a percentage value. This percentage value has the following interpretation: 0% > Low 50% > Normal 100% > High I would like to represent this in a chart for the 10 rows. I was thinking in having a chart where for each item I would have something similar to a slider. When I mean a slider, I mean only its representation, not the slide functionality: http://www.phatfusion.net/slider/ Is this possible in excel? What other alternatives you suggest me to represent this data? Excel 2007 Chart with horizontal 3D sliders. http://www.mediafire.com/file...

Dynamic Range Charting
I am charting the number of units in various territories. I am trying to create a data range that varies depending on the number territories being analysed. I set the range to be large enough to accomodate the largest group (e.g. when there are 11 territories to chart my data range is e3:f13, but when there are only 3 territories the actual data in this range is confined to the cells e3:f5. Even though my formulas within the unused cells in my data range eliminate the values and replace them with a blank cell, the chart legend still shows the colours for the missing territories wi...

XY Scatter chart
I have a scatter chart with one PAIR of data for each of 31 business activities. For example, two data points for "Delivery," one showing the ranked importance of this activity and the the second point showing the organization's performance in this category. Unfortunately, the descriptions of these business activities are a lot longer than the above example and R. Bovey's XY Labeler results in a crowded, unreadable chart. Is there any way to name these business activities on the X Axis, at a 45 or 90 degree angle? Put the description in one column. In 2 adjacent...

Searching for first and last in a table to chart (gantt)
I am using a rather large table and need to search for the first and last cell that has a value entered in a particular row and return the cooresponding date in that column. The table has a few columns showing task name etc that there is serveral rows that represent a date. In each row a number is put in a column that matches a date or is left blank. I have tried to llustrate this below __ |A1__|___B1___ |__C1_|__D1_|....|__E1_|__H1_|__I1_|__J1_|__K1__| A2|Task | Sub Task |Phase| Name| |01/05| 02/05| 03/05|04/05| 05/05 | A3| Xt Xs Yp Xn | null | ...

can i chart my data in the font color?
I would like my chart to display my data points in the color of the font i enter them in . ie.... a red font would display a red bar and a black font a black bar. Does anyone know if this is possible? You would have to write a macro to do this automatically. If you only have a couple of charts to do, You might want to just select the individual bar and change the color yourself. depending on the graph type selected, you could also separate out the data into different series depending on the color you want to use, and plot using a stacked bar chart "larry" wrote: >...

How not to chart empty spaces
I am trying to create a chart that may have a max of 50 rows of data, but usually has only 30 rows of data. Is there a way to build the chart so that if additional info is entered (up to 50 rows) it will all be charted, but atthe same time, if there are less than 50 rows of data, the chart doesn't utilize the empty rows? Thanks in advance. John Jon Peltier has information on creating dynamic charts: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html John Guts wrote: > I am trying to create a chart that may have a max of 50 > rows of data, but usually has only 30 ...

Inactive chart icon
In a shared folder I have many .xls files. On some the chart icon i grayed out.On others it works normally. None of the help screens ha helped ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Probably those workbooks are shared, which means that lots of features aren't available. For more information, look in Excel's Help, under "Features that are unavailable in shared workbooks" magison wrote: > In a shared folder I have many .xls files. On some t...

How do I grab data from every tenth row of a 5,000 row spreadsheet???
At work, we're doing a poll of 500 people, and we've got a list of 5,000 = potential people to contact in a vast, 5,000-row Microsoft Excel=20 spreadsheet. =20 Is there a way to run a query or a macro or something that will=20 automatically go in and select every tenth row on this document and=20 either erase the intervening rows and move all the remaining to the=20 top, and/or copy the contents of every tenth row into a new document=20 (but without nine blank rows between each row?) =20 We're using Microsoft Excel v.X on Mac OS X Jaguar. =20 Most of what we do is graphic desig...

Pulling data from a list
Tough problem. I have a list of 40 records in one column, each with different data, but with the same field headings (100, 245, 260, etc.) that looks something like this: 100 Joe Smith 245 Book of home repair 260 Simon and Shuster 440 Language tape 500 Audio File 655 Audiobook 856 Bibliographic record URL 994 Location designation If I only want to view certain fileds, like 100 and 245, how can I extract that data from all the records and create a new table with that information? Thanks for any assistance. There is an Excel feature called Autofilter that does exactly what you want: 1. ma...

How to filter combos during data entry
I'm trying to track the shapes (number of dimensions) and values of variables called "assumptions" to be fed into cash flow and credit models. I have an "Assumption Master" table of all assumptions that tells me whether they have one, two or three dimensions, and a "Dimension Lists" table telling me what each dimension could be. For example, an assumption called "Product Lien Factor" has two dimensions called "Lien Position" and "Rating": Lien Position could be 1 or 2, and Rating could be AAA, AA+, AA, AA-, A+, A, ...

Excell - organization chart
Is it possible when working in an Excell organizational chart to attach a co-worker to the top level as when their are co-directors. I cannot find a way to do this. At the top level, the co-worker selection is not available, only the assistant or subordinate. did your try microsoft organisation chart 2.. Insert object and check microsoft organisation chart 2.0 . Here two managers are possible mine excel 2000 codirector to top level of org chart <codirector to top level of org chart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C109C8A8-FBC3-44A1-B675-2620C9EB3A68@microsof...

Scatter and bar
Hi I have posted a screen shot of my chart here - http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs35&d=05260&f=chart.jpg I would like to know if it is possible with the chart to change the turquoise line named Digester feed mean % DS to work with the scatter chart using the secondary axis already in place as a bar mixed scatter chart? I really appreciate your comments i think the chart would look great like this. Many Thanks Rob - p.s if the image doesnt load right click and choose show picture then it should load. Select the series that you want to change to a bar chart. Right click and choos...

Can a text box on a chart be locked to an X-Y coordinate location on the chart?
I would like a text box to remain at a particlar location on a chart in terms of the scale of the chart. So, if new data causes the X-axis or Y-axis to rescale, the text box remains at the same X-Y coordinate. This does not seem to be the default behavior, and i cannot find a way to accomplish it. Please let me know if there is a way. Much thanks! You could always try recalculating what the new position should be from the max and min values of the axes and then setting top and left parameters of your text box accordingly. -- mrice Research Scientist with many years of spreadsh...

Omitting zero values from pie charts
I have about 12 variables from which I would automatically like to produce a pie chart each month. However in any one month at least 6 of these variables will be zero. I don't want these to be included on my pie chart or legend. Any ideas on how to do this. Thanks in advance. CiaraG 1. Add a heading to the column that contains the values. Amt Jan 10 Feb 0 Mar 8 2. Select the labels and values, and create a pie chart 3. Select a cell in the table, and choose Data>Filter>AutoFilter 4. From the dropdown in the Amt heading, choose Custom 5. From the...

charts are greyed out
I have multiple charts in a worksheet and when the charts are not selected they are greyed out. I think I caused this by hitting some combination of keys by accident, but I don't know how to undo it. Hi, Check Tools > Options. On View tab check Objects is set to Show All Cheers Andy saw4ut wrote: > I have multiple charts in a worksheet and when the charts are not selected > they are greyed out. I think I caused this by hitting some combination of > keys by accident, but I don't know how to undo it. -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

PO wizard not generating POs for items below reorder point
When we run the wizard to create POs for items below reorder point, it pulls no items. We have modified our data to ensure that the on-hand quantity was below the re-order point, but we still had no luck when we generated POs based on re-order points. Got a couple of questions that may lead to why: 1. Do each of the items have a restock level higher than the reorder point? 2. In the supplier field do you have a min order and a MPQ associated? 3. Do all the items have a reorder number as in manufacturer alias or order number? I know that each item has to have all this filled in for ...