restricting the drop lines to only a single series

I have mutiple-series charts, but would like restric the drop lines only to
only one (ususlly the first) plotted data series.  However, the drop line
option seems to apply to ALL data series and creates an unreadable mess.

Is there a way to see only what I want, i.e. the drop lines for a selected
series only?

z.entropic
0
zentropic (23)

Hi Z,

> I have mutiple-series charts, but would like restric the drop lines only to
> only one (ususlly the first) plotted data series.  However, the drop line
> option seems to apply to ALL data series and creates an unreadable mess.
>
> Is there a way to see only what I want, i.e. the drop lines for a selected
> series only?

While the 'Drop Lines' check box does, indeed, seem to affect all the series,
you can get the same visual effect for a single series by using custom error
bars:

 1. Double-click the series to bring up the Format Series dialog
 2. Select the 'Y Error Bars' tab
 3. Click in the 'Custom -' box
 4. Select the original Y data range for that series.

You should now have lines extending from each data point down to the axis.

Regards

Stephen Bullen
Microsoft MVP - Excel

Professional Excel Development
The most advanced Excel VBA book available
www.oaltd.co.uk/ProExcelDev

This might be slightly easier:

   1. Double-click the series to bring up the Format Series dialog
   2. Select the 'Y Error Bars' tab
   3. Click on the Minus Display icon
   4. Enter 100% for Percentage

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Stephen Bullen wrote:

> Hi Z,
>

>>I have mutiple-series charts, but would like restric the drop lines only to
>>only one (ususlly the first) plotted data series.  However, the drop line
>>option seems to apply to ALL data series and creates an unreadable mess.
>>
>>Is there a way to see only what I want, i.e. the drop lines for a selected
>>series only?
>

> While the 'Drop Lines' check box does, indeed, seem to affect all the series,
> you can get the same visual effect for a single series by using custom error
> bars:
>
>  1. Double-click the series to bring up the Format Series dialog
>  2. Select the 'Y Error Bars' tab
>  3. Click in the 'Custom -' box
>  4. Select the original Y data range for that series.
>
> You should now have lines extending from each data point down to the axis.
>
> Regards
>
> Stephen Bullen
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
>
> Professional Excel Development
> The most advanced Excel VBA book available
> www.oaltd.co.uk/ProExcelDev

Thanks to both Stephen and Jon for their, as usual excellent, advice.

z.entropic

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> This might be slightly easier:
>
>    1. Double-click the series to bring up the Format Series dialog
>    2. Select the 'Y Error Bars' tab
>    3. Click on the Minus Display icon
>    4. Enter 100% for Percentage
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>

> Stephen Bullen wrote:
>
> > Hi Z,
> >

> >>I have mutiple-series charts, but would like restric the drop lines only to
> >>only one (ususlly the first) plotted data series.  However, the drop line
> >>option seems to apply to ALL data series and creates an unreadable mess.
> >>
> >>Is there a way to see only what I want, i.e. the drop lines for a selected
> >>series only?
> >

> > While the 'Drop Lines' check box does, indeed, seem to affect all the series,
> > you can get the same visual effect for a single series by using custom error
> > bars:
> >
> >  1. Double-click the series to bring up the Format Series dialog
> >  2. Select the 'Y Error Bars' tab
> >  3. Click in the 'Custom -' box
> >  4. Select the original Y data range for that series.
> >
> > You should now have lines extending from each data point down to the axis.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Stephen Bullen
> > Microsoft MVP - Excel
> >
> > Professional Excel Development
> > The most advanced Excel VBA book available
> > www.oaltd.co.uk/ProExcelDev

0
zentropic (23)

line color
I have an XY chart using dates for the X. The Y axis is made up from a column of equations. When I create the chart, the lines that connect the data points don't show up. I have been into the plot format and tried making the lines come up in different colors, but nothing seems to work. However, when I make a column that is equal to just the value of the other cells and use this new column to graph the chart, the lines show up, but the dates change to numbers between 0 and 12 on the chart. How do I make the lines show up without changing the any of the data? Can you give an exa...

Excell Chart-how do I change all the lines and points without cha.
In MicrosoftExcell Chart How do I change all the lines and markers in a graph to be the same without changing each individual data series. Change them how? Change formatting? Select each marker (two single clicks, one for the series, one for the marker) to format the marker and line preceding the marker. Change the data? Either change the data in the cells, or you have to change which cells each series refers to (Chart menu - Source Data - Series tab). - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______...

How to erase a line by drawing on top
Hi, I have an ill-behaved CFormView that when resized to a lower width, produces a strange vertical dark line. I have tried everything to remove this line with no success. Now I have as what seems my last resort, decided to forget about the line and just get the pixels from the screen as the first line of OnSize(...) and redraw them by creating a patterned brush from the bitmap created by reading the pixels. I use FillRect but the problem persists. Here is a bit of the code that gets called from the first line of OnSize: ----------- const int Diff = 10; CRect client; this->GetCl...

Command line
Is it possible to attach several files with swith /a ? outlook /a "e:\MyFolder\MyFile.xls" is correct but outlook /a "e:\MyFolder\MyFile1.xls" "e:\MyFolder\MyFile2.xls" is not correct I don't find a synthax to do that. Thank you. No, not possible. In case you are scripting this you might want to consider putting all files in a compressed folder first. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Etienne" <Etienn...

[Q] Command Line Switch for Outlook to specify profile....
G'Day, - I have 2 outlook profiles on the same computer - I dont want to log in to the same one each time - I would like to create a 2 shortcuts - one for each profile - So is it possible to supply a command line paramater to Outlook to specify the profile? TIA --Donovan The switch you want is /profile <profile name> -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Donovan J. Edye" <donovan@edye.wattle.id.au> wrote in message ...

How do I change a drop down list?
I have been trying to change a drop down list for ages now. I follow the directions that I have, exactly, but can not seem to make the changes necessary. I have followed the edit drop downs explaination, and it still wont change. I can't even see to remove the drop down list and start fresh. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks I assume that you mean an in cell validtaion list. Select the cell in question. Choose Data | Validation | List should be selected with a text box where you can enter the list values or a range where the list values come from. Modify a...

How do I change the color of ONE line on the y-axis in a chart?
I'm working with a column graph. I want the line that represents 90% to serve as a benchmark and be a different color than the other lines in the y-axis. Meaning all other lines are black, theline at 90% is red. How do I change the color of just this line without adding a drawing object? Hi, These sites have instructions for adding datum lines, http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLineHorzErrBar.html http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Merna" <Merna@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Email line spacing
Hi, When writing an email in MSCRM double line spacing is used. Does anyone know of how to change this to single line spacing. At the moment we are having to write the email in Word and then copy/paste it into the MSCRM email. Thanks Lee Instead of pressing Enter, hold down Shirt button and press Enter. "Lee" <l.hargrave@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:394322d8.0412160110.76f2716e@posting.google.com... > Hi, > > When writing an email in MSCRM double line spacing is used. Does > anyone know of how to change this to single line spacing. At the > moment ...

Buying on line via Microsoft
If I buy Project (or anyother software) as a download via the Microsoft website is it a one time download or is it possible to take the download again in the event a PC has to be rebuilt? If so how long is it available for? Probably you can find the "fine print" about the terms of your purchase and future download-ability somewhere on the site where you buy it from. No matter what people here may say (who are not from Microsoft, by the way), it matters only what the terms of purchase are at the point you buy the license. That being said ... save the file you...

printed P.O.s have several blank lines
Why do my printed/exported purchase orders have several blank lines between the items and the subtotal? Is there a way to get rid of them? PLEASE Cc me your anser directly. Thanks! -- ______________________________________________________ Larry Leveen OlyBikes Bikes, Parts, Repairs & GREAT Customer Service! 124 State Avenue NE Olympia, WA 98501 P: 360-753-7525 F: 360-528-7526 info@olybikes.com www.olybikes.com Featuring free bike advocacy and safety materials! ...

Voting Buttons -- Missing drop-down box in Tracking tab
I have a user on Office 2003 who uses voting buttons in Outlook. She claims that on the Tracking tab of her sent message, a drop-down box should appear at the right side of each user's "response" column showing the voting options -- for her to manually populate if the respondent verbally replies to her. Our outlook 2003 does not have this. I can find nothing on it. What is she talking about, and how can I set up this feature for her? -- Lisa M I think she's wrong. That function exists in a Meeting's Tracking table, not a vote related tracking table from an em...

How to delete contract and contract line when it has been invoiced
Hi, Currently i am having this issue where a contract has been invoiced wrongly and i need to delete the contract. MS CRM 4 seems do not allow me to delete when it has been invoiced. Is there any way or tool that can be used to delete such contract? There are many situations where the status of a record basically locks it and prevent deletion. This is one of them. Though there isn't a supported way to fix this, you can edit the record manaully via SQL and change the StateCode column back to another value. This will basically change the status. As mentioned, technically unsupp...

formula for cell plus x amount of lines
Hi everyone. I need a bit of help with a specific formula. I have 2 spreadsheets, one is a working list of daily data with a weekly total, the other gives me a summary of the totals for each week. When Im inserting the formula for each weekly total, I can copy the line above (eg previous week) but excel automatically assigns the next line from my source sheet eg: =SUM(SALES!U1851) will become =SUM(SALES!U1852) What I want is a formula that says something like =SUM(SALES!U1851 plus 100 rows).. this giving me the formula of =SUM(SALES!U1951). Is there a code for this or will I have to chan...

Restricting access
Ive got an exchange server 2000. Ive got it recieving smtp mail for the domain. I would like to restrict which users are allowed to send mail externally. Ive got 120 users and if they catch on ill have 120 users sending mail externally and recieving mail. Only a selected few must be able to send mail externally. So i need to block the rest of the users from being able to send mail to the internet. Create a Security Group in Active Directory, add the members who you wish to be able to send internet mail. On the Internet mail connector add this group to the Delivery Restriction page to acc...

Outlook OM : Method Restrict() has problems with parentheses
I'm trying to filter for a specific name using; olItems.Restrict("[From] = John Doe()"); Notice the parentheses in the string. If the string contains parentheses in it, I get the following exception. An unhandled exception of type 'System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException' occurred in ioemail.dll Additional information: Condition is not valid. How do I get Restrict to work with parentheses? Answer: olItems.Restrict("[From] = 'John Doe()'"); >-----Original Message----- >I'm trying to filter for a specific name using; >olItems.Res...

Bubble Chart Series Question
Hi. My question deals with creating bubble charts and dynamically addin series. I have data in the Following Format Col A: Series Name Col B: X Value Col C: Y Value Col D: Bubble Size All of these colums are linked to other worksheets and could potentall have as many as 100 values or as few as 10. In order to get the bubble chart to display correctly, I have bee manually adding series, and specifing the series name cell, the x valu cell, the y value cell, and the bubble size cell. Here is my question. I would like for the chart to be dynamicall generated regardless of the number of ser...

Extract from Second to fift number of a serie
Happen that I have a to download a long list from a database coming this way: 5103-80-3342 5111-85-3342 5210-88-3342... What I need to do is extract only 3 numbers from every one of them like this: 103 111 210 Could somebody help me to get this done. Thanks Fernando Gomez Fernando, In another column: =MID(A2, 2, 3) copied down with the fill handle. This can be converted to permanent values so you don't need the original stuff any more, or the formulas If your data isn't always of the same form, where the 2nd-4th characters are what you want, you'll have to give more ...

How can I easily repeat a series of key strokes

Function to find largest number from a series of numbers?
Is there a function to go across several columns of numbers and pick out the largest one? If not, how would I write that function? thanks to all Rick =MAX(A1:Z1) -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "rs" <r_schiller@REMOVEcomcast.net> wrote in message news:2p-dnW3P0f...

How do i move data series into other columns on column charts
When i am creating a Column Chart, on the "Series", there is an option to add a series of data. However when i do this they automatically are placed into the first section along the x-axis and there is no way to change this or to move them to other parts of the x-axis. I have 9 values along the X-axis and they each need to have additional data series added to them, but i can only add them in the first value's section of chart. You have 9 categories, and you need a way to plot nothing in the earlier categories if the data should only be plotted on the later categories. You...

cannot enter a long series of numbers without excel changing them.

Range of numbers in a single cell
I need to change what I multiple by based on the entered number. If the entered number is 1 to 3, I need to multiply by .25 If the entered number is 4 to 6, I need to multiply by .5 If the entered number is 7 to 9, I need to multiply by .75 If the entered number is 10 to 12, I need to multiply by 1 and so forth. so if I enter 5 in A6, it will multiply 5 by .5 and put the result in A7 Any suggestions? =A1*(1+INT((A1-1)/3))/4 "DRB" wrote: > I need to change what I multiple by based on the entered number. > > If the entered number is 1 to 3, I need to multiply by .25 &...

window fly in arbitrary direct lines
I have one window whom I want to fly in arbitrary direct lines across the screen (its not a jpeg as in screen saver case but a window). Is there some way (or a sample) how to do that smoothly? Thanks Vinter Well, do you mean "across the screen" or "across the client area of its parent"? There are a couple different issues depending on the answer. The simple answer is to have in your mainframe code something like the following that will move it right-to-left LRESULT CMainFrame::OnFly(WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam) { POINTS start = (POINTS)wParam; POIN...

line series order Excel 2007
I have charts with over 5 series. I mostly reorder them by selecting the series and update the ordernumber in the formula of the series displayed in the formula bar, but ... the selected series is very often NOT showed in the formula bar , why is that? If you have actually selected a series, its formula will appear in the formula bar. If you've clicked on something else, like a data label, there will be no series formula. In the Name box (Excel 2003 & earlier) or in the top left of the two rightmost chart tools tabs, the name of the selected chart element will be displayed, so y...

Multi Line SOP Transaction using Integration Manager
I am using Integration Manager 7.0 to try and load a Sales Quote that has several hundred line items. I am using 2 text files as the source. The first is the header file which hasthe SOP Doc Number and other fields. The second is the detail file, and has the SOP Doc Number, item qty, date site etc. I am joining them by SOP Doc Number in the query relationships window, and checking Option 3 in the relationship type window. The destination is Sales Transactions and I am using the Dynamics/eEnterprise 7.0 adapter. (Not the SQL optimized) When I run the integration, only the first recor...