restricting the drop lines to only a single series

I have mutiple-series charts, but would like restric the drop lines only to
only one (ususlly the first) plotted data series.  However, the drop line
option seems to apply to ALL data series and creates an unreadable mess.

Is there a way to see only what I want, i.e. the drop lines for a selected
series only?

z.entropic
0
zentropic (23)

Hi Z,

> I have mutiple-series charts, but would like restric the drop lines only to
> only one (ususlly the first) plotted data series.  However, the drop line
> option seems to apply to ALL data series and creates an unreadable mess.
>
> Is there a way to see only what I want, i.e. the drop lines for a selected
> series only?

While the 'Drop Lines' check box does, indeed, seem to affect all the series,
you can get the same visual effect for a single series by using custom error
bars:

 1. Double-click the series to bring up the Format Series dialog
 2. Select the 'Y Error Bars' tab
 3. Click in the 'Custom -' box
 4. Select the original Y data range for that series.

You should now have lines extending from each data point down to the axis.

Regards

Stephen Bullen
Microsoft MVP - Excel

Professional Excel Development
The most advanced Excel VBA book available
www.oaltd.co.uk/ProExcelDev

This might be slightly easier:

   1. Double-click the series to bring up the Format Series dialog
   2. Select the 'Y Error Bars' tab
   3. Click on the Minus Display icon
   4. Enter 100% for Percentage

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Stephen Bullen wrote:

> Hi Z,
>

>>I have mutiple-series charts, but would like restric the drop lines only to
>>only one (ususlly the first) plotted data series.  However, the drop line
>>option seems to apply to ALL data series and creates an unreadable mess.
>>
>>Is there a way to see only what I want, i.e. the drop lines for a selected
>>series only?
>

> While the 'Drop Lines' check box does, indeed, seem to affect all the series,
> you can get the same visual effect for a single series by using custom error
> bars:
>
>  1. Double-click the series to bring up the Format Series dialog
>  2. Select the 'Y Error Bars' tab
>  3. Click in the 'Custom -' box
>  4. Select the original Y data range for that series.
>
> You should now have lines extending from each data point down to the axis.
>
> Regards
>
> Stephen Bullen
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
>
> Professional Excel Development
> The most advanced Excel VBA book available
> www.oaltd.co.uk/ProExcelDev

Thanks to both Stephen and Jon for their, as usual excellent, advice.

z.entropic

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> This might be slightly easier:
>
>    1. Double-click the series to bring up the Format Series dialog
>    2. Select the 'Y Error Bars' tab
>    3. Click on the Minus Display icon
>    4. Enter 100% for Percentage
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>

> Stephen Bullen wrote:
>
> > Hi Z,
> >

> >>I have mutiple-series charts, but would like restric the drop lines only to
> >>only one (ususlly the first) plotted data series.  However, the drop line
> >>option seems to apply to ALL data series and creates an unreadable mess.
> >>
> >>Is there a way to see only what I want, i.e. the drop lines for a selected
> >>series only?
> >

> > While the 'Drop Lines' check box does, indeed, seem to affect all the series,
> > you can get the same visual effect for a single series by using custom error
> > bars:
> >
> >  1. Double-click the series to bring up the Format Series dialog
> >  2. Select the 'Y Error Bars' tab
> >  3. Click in the 'Custom -' box
> >  4. Select the original Y data range for that series.
> >
> > You should now have lines extending from each data point down to the axis.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Stephen Bullen
> > Microsoft MVP - Excel
> >
> > Professional Excel Development
> > The most advanced Excel VBA book available
> > www.oaltd.co.uk/ProExcelDev

0
zentropic (23)

Restricting Input
Ok, I'm on a roll here. Could someone please tell me how to set up a cell restriction that will only allow data input if another cell is "empty" or has a certain value? Kind of like an IF function, only when "true" exists, I can input any value, and when "false" exists, I must leave it blank. Thanks in advance. Randy, you can accomplish this using data validation. Select: data-validation, then input your restriction. Randy Vieira wrote: > Ok, I'm on a roll here. Could someone please tell me how to set up a cell > restriction that will ...

email drop in wrong mailbox
Anyone know why email for/belong to userB drop into UserA mailbox. We are using exchange2003 , win2003 UserA email. susan@mydomain.com UserB email betty@mydomain.com Please help. Could be many things... Check delegates...client /server rules...delivery options ....worse case, SPYWARE, viruses...? <ray1088@yahoo.com.hk> wrote in message news:449c1184$1@127.0.0.1... > Anyone know why email for/belong to userB drop into UserA mailbox. > > > We are using exchange2003 , win2003 > UserA email. susan@mydomain.com > UserB email betty@mydomain.co...

the calendar on-line shows the subject first instead of the time
Is there anyway to show the time first on the monthly calendar instead of the subject first (when looking at the screen). The print out is not an issue - just on- line. ...

Restrict calendar?
We are currently looking at moving to Exchange 2003 this year. Our employers are holding off on the purchase due to the fact that there is no way to restrict certain users from even being able to see "Free/Busy" on their calendars. They want it so that a whole Active Directory OU can be set to not have any calendar access to another OU's calendar. Does anyone know if this is possible? This is huge for us so a great big Thank You in advance to those who might have suggestion. sgsundqu wrote: > We are currently looking at moving to Exchange 2003 this year. Our > employe...

customers from the drop down ist will not transfer to invoice
My invoice has tabs for the invoice and customers, my invoice has the drop down list that i select and it places the company on the invoice to section. My new girl in the office hand typed the company in the invoice to section, and now , when i select a company from the drop down list, it will not transfer the company's billing info to the invoice, how do I correct this ? Thanks ...

How do I create a single pyramid to express %
..I want to create a pyramid detailing percentage of employee levels. Eg. 5% leadership, 30% middle managment, 75% staff. HOw the heck do I do it? Hi, Is this an accident or do you really have 5%+30%+75% = 110%? Are you trying to do this with a chart" If so: Enter your data in the range A1:A4 with a title in A1. Enter 65% in A2, 30% in A3, and 5% in A4. Select the range and click the Chart Wizard. Pick the last chart style - Pyramid and the second sub-type. Click Next and change from Series in Columns to Series in Rows. Click Finish. -- Cheers, Shane Devenshire "J_W...

Pricing restriction to price lists
Most of our customers do no wish to load all products to MS CRM. Therefore the system restriction to use price lists is too inflexible. In case of opportunities it is even not possible to enter manual prices on product level. ...

Restrictions
All of a sudden I am no longer able to click on hyperlinks embedded within email and get an error message "THIS OPERATION HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO RESTRICTION IN EFFECT ON THIS COMPUTER. PLEASE CONTACT YOUR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR." I haven't knowingly changed anything but some other program may have. How do I get back to normal? See if the articles at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=3D310049 and http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=3D307818 help with this.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrator...

Restrict DB Access
Is there a way in GP7.5 to restrict a user to only see a single SQL Database/Server when they login to GP? Thanks It's unclear exactly what you want to do. In GP, you can restrict access by user to the company databases via the User Access window. When you set up the ODBC DSN, you are determing which database server the user can access through GP. Additionally, if you happen to have multiple servers, the best way to handle it is to have different user accounts. -- Charles Allen, MVP "JDR" wrote: > Is there a way in GP7.5 to restrict a user to only see a si...

Restricting no. of recipients
Hello, We are using Exchange 5.5 server now and for some reason, we need to restrict the number of recipients that an user can send at once. I tried to find at most of configuration dialogs, but could not find it. Is it possible to enable this function in Exchange 5.5? Or is there a 3rd party tool regarding this? Appreciate it if you can find it or help me. Thanks. Richard You can set this, but it is for the maximum number of recipients in the message before distribution list expansion, so a distribution list counts as one recipient. It is much more accurate in Exchange 2000/2003....

validation hic-up -- no drop-down list!
Help me, oh ye gurus of Excel! I've made a pretty spiffy little spreadsheet with lots of drop dow lists; the problem is, they don't drop down anymore. The lists are a result of data validation. The validation is stil working (I still get nasty messages if I key in inapropriate data), just can't get the little arrow in the cell that lets me select fro the list. Yes, the "in-cell drop down" button is checked in the validatio window. There aren't any macros that would override the validatio function. In earlier revisions of the spreadsheet, the drop-down menu stil...

creating a regression line in a graph
I want Excel to plot a regression line in the graph. I know how to use the regression function. How do I do this? Chart|Add Trendline. You should be using an "X-Y (Scatter)" chart, not a "Line" chart. Jerry "sirsoto" wrote: > I want Excel to plot a regression line in the graph. I know how to use the > regression function. How do I do this? ...

Mysterious performance drop
I have 8 MS-Access reports that I run every morning. They normally execute in around 5-8 seconds, but suddenly report No 8 takes 10-12 minutes to complete. The reports are driving on Mysql databases via odbc connector. I have tried to build the slow report again from scratch, I have tried to run it from MS-access on another client, but nothing helps. The Mysql database has been optimized. I simply don't know where to look to possible find the root of this problem. Therefore I hope for some advise in locating the bottleneck causing this sudden drop in performance. Mogens ...

restricting the drop lines to only a single series
I have mutiple-series charts, but would like restric the drop lines only to only one (ususlly the first) plotted data series. However, the drop line option seems to apply to ALL data series and creates an unreadable mess. Is there a way to see only what I want, i.e. the drop lines for a selected series only? z.entropic Hi Z, > I have mutiple-series charts, but would like restric the drop lines only to > only one (ususlly the first) plotted data series. However, the drop line > option seems to apply to ALL data series and creates an unreadable mess. > > Is there a way...

Exch2003: Global line break settings?
Is there a way to set a global value for "remove line breaks=0" or the equivalent? This automatic line break removal is a real PITA. Thanks! FYI - the automatic line break removal is an Outlook 2003 thing, not an Exchange thing. If you want to see which options you can manage via a Group Policy, download the ORK from here. Don't know if this is one of them. Otherwise, Tools, Options, Email options - uncheck the box to remove extra line breaks from plain text messages. http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/2003/tools/BoxA19.htm -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "admin ...

Autofilter's drop down list goes missing
I am using autofilter on a two excel work sheets. Randomly the drop down arrows locks up and will not display the drop down lists. If I uncheck autofilter and reselect the data then reselect autofilter it enables the drop down arrows again, although this does not always work, some times I have to close excel and open it again. The document was originally created in excel 2000 but the problem is occurring in excel 2003. I have been able recreate the problem on separate machines different hardware (Compaq and Dell), so I know the hardware is not the issue. Again the method of reproducing the err...

restrict to export records to Excel and restrict to print
Hi, It is a major requirement for us to restrict some users to export Microsoft CRM records to Excel file and to restrict them to print as stated in our implementation policies. Is there a possible workaround for this restriction? Would greatly appreciate for your fedback. Lot of thanks in advance. In v1.2 there is no easy way to do this. v3.0 should enable this via security roles. In thoery, you could do something with javascript that conditionally removed the link, but not sure how reliable it would be as it would need to do a server-based call to determine the security. Matt Parks...

restricted users
Is there any way to run pub 2002 xp as a restricted user? I want users on a certain machine to be able to user publisher but not install programs or make any system changes, as soon as they lose domain admin though, it barfs pretty hard. When you click on the icon it says it's running the installer package, then it throws a 1722 error saying there is a problem with the package and setup did not finish. The program at this point acually loads, but as soon as I try to do something it throws an error saying I have low memory or the disk is full and it crashes. Soon as I give domain...

Drop-Ship Blanket PO to multiple customers
Here is the scenario my customer has: I issue a blanket PO to VendorA for 7000 widgets for the month of February. Then we need to issue some sort of document (I assume a PO) for distribution of those 7000 widgets on different days throughout the month to various customers. 880 to be drop shipped to CustomerA supply in Florida on Feb 4th 880 to be drop shipped to CustomerB on Feb 6th 880 to be drop shipped to CustomerC in West Virginia on Feb 10th Etc... Right now I am issuing a PO for the 7000 bags to VendorA...then cancelling that PO And issuing drop ship PO's f...

Messaging size restriction bizzare
Hi, I am current using Trend Mico ScanMessage gateway and Exchange 2003. Incoming is going through ScanMessage gateway first and relay to Exchange 2003. I setup "sending message size" as 3900 KB in Global setting and 50000KB as receiving message size. I test it with internal mail and everything is fine accoring sending/receiving size restriction until external email such yahoo. For example, (External email) if I send 3 MB attachment which is fine and but not everything above 3900 KB (bounce: limit or email box is full). It seems Exchange is using sending message size (ov...

Line Spacing in New Messages
In Outlook 2003, the line spacing is defaulted to double on new messages. How can I globally change it to single space being the default on all new messages? Hi Ty, Change the message format to plain text, HTML, or Rich Text http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/preview.aspx?AssetID=HP052426891033&C TT=1&Origin=EC790000701033&QueryID=KTa5A6fut&Query=Change+the+message+format +to+plain+text%2c+HTML%2c+or+Rich+Text&Scope=TC%2cHP%2cHA%2cRC%2cFX%2cES%2cE P%2cDC%2cXT Change the default message format for all new messages: On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click...

Restricted IPs still connecting despite Connection Restrictions
I have gone to System Manager -> Servers -> ServerName -> Protocols -> SMTP -> Default SMTP and setup the following under Access -> Connection Control on my Exchange 2003 SP1 Server. Select which computer's may access this virtual server: Only the listed computers... 1.2.3.0 (255.255.255.0) - Internal IPs AntiSPAM server IP 1 AntiSPAM server IP 2 AntiSPAM server IP 3 AntiSPAM server IP 4 AntiSPAM server IP 5 AntiSPAM server IP 6 AntiSPAM server IP 7 Still I am seeing connections from serveral other servers on the list. I have even accessed my server remotely via te...

combining two line charts with different x axis intervals
Hi newsgroup, I'm not getting around this one and hope that I'm just not clever enough ;) I try to get two line charts in the same graph, but they have different x axis intervals. Is this possible? For better understanding, an example of the first being x y 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5 6 6 7 7 8 8 9 9 and an example of the second being x y 1 2 3 2 5 2 7 2 9 2 Thanks a lot in advance! Chris Hi, Try using a xy-scatter chart rather than a Line chart. Cheers Andy On 12/05/2010 11:50, Chris J Denver wrote: > Hi n...

How do I increase font size in a drop-down list in Excel?
How can I increase the size of the font in a drop-down list in Excel? If it's a data validation dropdown list, you can't change the font size. There are a couple of workarounds here: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal08.html#Font If it's a combobox from the Control toolbox, you can change the font size by switching to Design view, opening the Properties window, and changing the Font properties. If it's a combobox from the Forms toolbar, you can't change the font size. hdaniels_uwco wrote: > How can I increase the size of the font in a drop-down list in Excel...