resizing plots without changing text size

We are using Excel to generate scientific xy plots. When I resize the 
surrounding frame of such a plot, generated by the Chart Wizard, the 
text size changes. How can I prevent this? How can I resize a xy chart 
without changing the font size?

Also, is there a nice trick to make several plots exactly the same? I 
have the impression that each time I generate a plot, Excel chooses 
randomly how it should exactly look.

Thank you very much for every hint!

Martin

0
glodde (3)
12/6/2003 12:26:22 AM
excel.charting 18370 articles. 0 followers. Follow

3 Replies
581 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 56

Double-click the text item that resizes inappropriately.  In the 
resulting dialog box, select the Font tab.  Uncheck the 'Autosize 
checkbox.

AFAIK, XL keeps the same size for all charts it creates.  But, in any 
case, I find it fastest to resize the charts by moving one on top of 
the other and resizing the one on top so that it exactly matches the 
dimensions of the one below.

-- 
Regards,

Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel
www.tushar-mehta.com
Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <bqr7nk$25tq68$1@ID-79466.news.uni-berlin.de>, 
glodde@sas.upenn.edu says...
> We are using Excel to generate scientific xy plots. When I resize the 
> surrounding frame of such a plot, generated by the Chart Wizard, the 
> text size changes. How can I prevent this? How can I resize a xy chart 
> without changing the font size?
> 
> Also, is there a nice trick to make several plots exactly the same? I 
> have the impression that each time I generate a plot, Excel chooses 
> randomly how it should exactly look.
> 
> Thank you very much for every hint!
> 
> Martin
> 
> 
0
12/6/2003 12:34:41 AM
Here's a bit more about chart font sizes.  I have disabled the 
autoscaling, because it never comes out the way I like.

   http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/FixFonts.html

Embedded charts generated by Excel's chart wizard are always drawn:
- in the lower right pane of the active window if panes are frozen
- in the quadrant where the data resides if the window is split
- in the active window if there are no splits/frozen panes

In general, the chart is centered in the window/pane where it is drawn, 
about half the width and half the height of the window/pane (plus or 
minus a couple points).  If the pane is smaller than a certain size, 
Excel will no longer ratio the chart to the size of the pane

The chart's plot area is the same size for the same size chart.  But 
variation in the font size of the axis labels, as well as in the length 
of these labels, cause the inside area of the plot area to shrink more 
or less, as the margin containing the axis labels varies in size. 
There's probably some systematic approach, but I often wish they'd hold 
the inside area fixed, and let the outside float.  The inside area 
dimensions are read only, so you have to indirectly resize them by 
resizing the outer dimensions, and usually you must repeat a couple 
times to get the error within a pixel.

I hold down Alt while moving and sizing charts.  This way, the edges of 
the charts stick to the cell gridlines, and it's easy to make different 
charts 8 columns by 18 or 20 rows every time.  The plot inside 
dimensions always are different, though.

I used to have a macro I'd run on a new chart that made everything the 
same, but I've grown more tolerant of diversity.  When push comes to 
shove, I roll out a special macro I made myself that copies dimensions 
from one chart and applies them to another.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html
_______

Tushar Mehta wrote:
> Double-click the text item that resizes inappropriately.  In the 
> resulting dialog box, select the Font tab.  Uncheck the 'Autosize 
> checkbox.
> 
> AFAIK, XL keeps the same size for all charts it creates.  But, in any 
> case, I find it fastest to resize the charts by moving one on top of 
> the other and resizing the one on top so that it exactly matches the 
> dimensions of the one below.
> 

0
12/7/2003 4:50:22 AM
In article <3FD2B18E.7050304@yahoo.com>, jonpeltierNOSPAM@yahoo.com 
says...

> 
> I used to have a macro I'd run on a new chart that made everything the 
> same, but I've grown more tolerant of diversity.  When push comes to 
> shove, I roll out a special macro I made myself that copies dimensions 
> from one chart and applies them to another.
> 
Yep.  wrote a macro-based solution to enforce a 'standard' back in the 
XL5 days.  Quickly got tired of it.  And, yes, a macro, tailored to the 
task at hand, has worked just A-OK.

-- 
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
MS MVP Excel 2000-2004
www.tushar-mehta.com
Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA tutorials and add-ins
Custom Productivity Solutions leveraging MS Office


In article <3FD2B18E.7050304@yahoo.com>, jonpeltierNOSPAM@yahoo.com 
says...
> Here's a bit more about chart font sizes.  I have disabled the 
> autoscaling, because it never comes out the way I like.
> 
>    http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/FixFonts.html
> 
> Embedded charts generated by Excel's chart wizard are always drawn:
> - in the lower right pane of the active window if panes are frozen
> - in the quadrant where the data resides if the window is split
> - in the active window if there are no splits/frozen panes
> 
> In general, the chart is centered in the window/pane where it is drawn, 
> about half the width and half the height of the window/pane (plus or 
> minus a couple points).  If the pane is smaller than a certain size, 
> Excel will no longer ratio the chart to the size of the pane
> 
> The chart's plot area is the same size for the same size chart.  But 
> variation in the font size of the axis labels, as well as in the length 
> of these labels, cause the inside area of the plot area to shrink more 
> or less, as the margin containing the axis labels varies in size. 
> There's probably some systematic approach, but I often wish they'd hold 
> the inside area fixed, and let the outside float.  The inside area 
> dimensions are read only, so you have to indirectly resize them by 
> resizing the outer dimensions, and usually you must repeat a couple 
> times to get the error within a pixel.
> 
> I hold down Alt while moving and sizing charts.  This way, the edges of 
> the charts stick to the cell gridlines, and it's easy to make different 
> charts 8 columns by 18 or 20 rows every time.  The plot inside 
> dimensions always are different, though.
> 
> I used to have a macro I'd run on a new chart that made everything the 
> same, but I've grown more tolerant of diversity.  When push comes to 
> shove, I roll out a special macro I made myself that copies dimensions 
> from one chart and applies them to another.
> 
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html
> _______
> 
> Tushar Mehta wrote:
> > Double-click the text item that resizes inappropriately.  In the 
> > resulting dialog box, select the Font tab.  Uncheck the 'Autosize 
> > checkbox.
> > 
> > AFAIK, XL keeps the same size for all charts it creates.  But, in any 
> > case, I find it fastest to resize the charts by moving one on top of 
> > the other and resizing the one on top so that it exactly matches the 
> > dimensions of the one below.
> > 
> 
> 
0
12/8/2003 1:35:24 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Can I operate a back office computer without a dongle?
Can I operate a back office computer without a dongle? In quicksell I was able to use the quicksell manager on the back office computer (not networked) by making a backup of the database file on the register and restoring on the back office machine... this allowed me to do invoicing, run reports, etc.. without taking the register out of service??? I've done similar for customers with laptops for home but the software will show a license problem and allow you to run in eval mode. RMS is designed to run with a network. You can set it up on a WAN connection if you want to use a s...

Track Changes In Protected Shared Workbook
Just wondering if this is a common problem. I have a few worksheets that are protected shared workbooks, when I try to track the changes, Excel either quits, errors out, or does nothing. I can't seem to track anything. I've tried tracking the changes on Excel 97, 2000, 2002, and 2003. All of them exhibit the above behavior. The problem DOES NOT occur if I only Share the workbook and do not protect it. This problem originally showed in Excel 2000, and now has continued through these last two versions. Is anyone else having these problems, or have any advice? (All versions of Exce...

Color Coding Text in Calender
I have trouble with color coding my text in Calendar. My calender is from Aug. 2003 - Dec. 2004. I am attempting to color the activities of each staff member. I get half way through the calendar and the text of all the calendar changes to purple. I've tried it several times and now I'm frustrated. PLEASE SOMEONE...HELP ME! Hi - Maybe split the calendar into several files, since it seems to work part way through... M. >-----Original Message----- >I have trouble with color coding my text in Calendar. My >calender is from Aug. 2003 - Dec. 2004. I am attempting ...

Text Highlighting in Yellow (2000) ???
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C600B3.07A33400 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable People, Is there a way to highlight text in yellow...in Publisher 2000. This is such a basic text function...available in *Word* for example...& = they can't provide this? Thanks, mark4man ------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C600B3.07A33400 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transiti...

problem with resizing
Hi! I'm writing a MDI application. Child window is splitted in three panes. In the one pane I've got a FormView with some buttons. How to do, that this FormView was in the center of a pane (even during resizing )? And the second problem, how to do, that during resizing, splitters dividing window were always in the same places? Please, help me. I would be appreciate. bart ...

Strikethrough effect on text
Is there a strikethrough effect for text similiar to Word, vs just drawing a line and laying it over the text. Thank you. After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Tedo <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>... > Is there a strikethrough effect for text similiar to > Word, vs just drawing a line and laying it over the text. There is no Strikethrough effect, you have to draw a line and layer it. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaimer: http://mvps.org/the_nerd/discla...

How can I change a chart's name?
I have a lot of charts in a woorkbook and need to refer to them in my VBA. I cannot know the names (numbers) of all the charts. mHow can I change a chart's name so it is easy to find them ? Berthica, These macros should help: Sub GetChartName() MsgBox "The chart name is: " & ActiveChart.Parent.Name End Sub Sub RenameChart() ActiveChart.Parent.Name = Chart1 End Sub ---------------------------- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "Berthica" wrote: > I have a lot of charts in a woorkbook and need to refer to them in my VBA. I > cann...

Changing the start of a budget month
Hi there, I recently started to used Money 2003, and I seem to be unable to change the start of a financial month. In my particular case my financial month starts the 25th of each month when I get my paycheck, but Money wants to count the deposit for the previous month. Is there any way around this situation? Thanks ...

rescaling one axis in a surface plot
Hi, Is it possible to rescale one of the axes on a surface plot? Sometimes the automatic scale that Excel chooses is a bit silly and I end up with a very thin surface. Many thanks. Hi, The x and y axis scales on a surface chart are categorical. So are dependent on the number of rows and columns in your data set. You can adjust the values that appear in the legend (z axis) by double clicking the legend and using the Scale Tab settings. Cheers Andy passwd9 wrote: > Hi, > > Is it possible to rescale one of the axes on a surface plot? Sometimes > the automatic scale that E...

Change scale of design
I created a flyer in Publisher that incorporates a photo, graphics and text. It fills a letter size piece of paper. I would like to reduce the scale of the overall design to 25% and fit four of them on one sheet of paper. Is this possible? -- chicagoro Probably the easiest way would be to make an image of the flyer and create a new file with the document sized to your liking and use the image. Another way would be just rebuild the document on the reduced work size. Maybe "print" to a reduced size PDF file and see if it will print four copies to a single sheet of paper. ...

Change 1 gridline
This is probably a very easy question I just haven't spent a lot of time with Excel charts. How do you change the style of 1 gridline on a chart? The data on the Y axis is from -2 to 6 and we would like the line at 0 to be darker than the other gridlines. Thanks, Anna Anna, isn't this line just your category axis? Then just select the gridlines and change their colour, e.g. light grey / dotted, to discriminate from the cat axis Regards, Henk "aks710@gmail.com" wrote: > This is probably a very easy question I just haven't spent a lot of > time with Excel c...

resizing problems
I am using OpenGL in my MFC app. The problem is when I resize the window from the left or top border the whole scene of my OpenGL moves even before my OnPaint event handler is called and when my OnPaint is called after this it repaints the scene so this produces a flicker. If, however I resize the window from the right or bottom border this problem doen't occur. Can anybody please tell me what is happening? Thank you ...

How to requery a form on activate without move from current record
Hello. How can I requery a form on activate it without move from current record. Imagine that I'm on form A, I want to click on a button to go on form B, make some record set updates and then return to form B and see those changes amde. Is it possible? Regards, marco As you found, a Requery will cause you to move back to the first record. So, save the primary key value first. Then requery, FindFirst in the RecordsetClone of the form, and set the Bookmark. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to ...

Changing All Users' OUTLOOK 2003 winXP HTTP PROXY URL
We have an Outlook 2003 - Exchange 2003 (most recent upgrade) deployment with about 100 users. Recently, with the introduction of many PDA/Cellphone Combo's have changed our Proxy (In Outlook: Email Accounts>Change>Connection Tab> Exchange Proxy Settings... Https://URL) It used to be an IP-Address w/o a certificate, now we want all users to have it pointed to a URL that has a certificate. Is there a way to Deploy this without having to go to each users computer? A registry string? A Group Policy settings? Does anyone know where Outlook even stores these Exchange Proxy Sett...

Colored text in Windows Explorer
When running a "search for files" in Windows Explorer most files are shown in black but some are shown in blue. What is the significance of the blue files? I am running WinXP Home Edition with SP3. Compressed files are Blue. Encrypted files are green. "PSRumbagh" <PSRumbagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:45444E11-4354-4D15-AB96-DDF8995BD0F7@microsoft.com... > > When running a "search for files" in Windows Explorer most files are shown > in > black but some are shown in blue. What is the significance of the b...

5 columns numbers find lo-hi & % change..
got it? my way would be a long equation.. have (to-fm)/fm% for %change, Thanks ...

Show a grid pattern not corresponding to the cell sizes
I would like to have a standard grid pattern appear on a spreadsheet that has varying cell sizes. I would like to place this pattern in a specific area, even though the cell sizes in this area vary in width. If there is a way to insert the pattern as an image or object and 'send to back', that would be fantastic. I'm using Excel 2003 in the Office Professional Edition 2003. ...

Bitmap resize on same DC
I am a little be confused! I have a custom control with a bitmap inside I create the bitmap with this code ************************************************* CClientDC dc(this) ; if (m_dcGrid.GetSafeHdc() == NULL) { m_dcGrid.CreateCompatibleDC(&dc) ; m_bitmapGrid.CreateCompatibleBitmap(&dc, m_nClientWidth,m_nClientHeight) ; m_pbitmapOldGrid = m_dcGrid.SelectObject(&m_bitmapGrid) ; } ************************************************ and in OnPaint i have: ************************************************ CPaintDC dc(this) ; // device context for painting CDC memDC ; CBit...

Sheet change event to return sheet name just left
Does anyone have any idea how I can get the name of a worksheet that I have just moved from. So if I am in Sheet1 and move to Sheet2, how do I get a macro to return Sheet1. In all the Events I have looked at they all return the name of the sheet that I have moved to not the sheet I have left. Any help will be gratefully received -- with kind regards Spike We need to remember it. In a standard module: Public OldSheet As String Public NewSheet As String In the worksheet code area of every sheet: Private Sub Worksheet_Activate() If IsEmpty(OldSheet) Then OldShe...

chart without figures
I have two pieces of info that give a yes and sometimes result. one relates to a method, the other to when to use. i have done the table, but want to know it i can make a chart to show this What does the table look like? What would you show on the chart? What would be on the x-axis? The y-axis? -- Tushar Mehta http://www.tushar-mehta.com Custom business solutions leveraging a multi-disciplinary approach In Excel 2007 double-click to format may not work; right click and select from the menu "Caz M" wrote: > I have two pieces of info that give a yes and sometimes resul...

ListView item text overlaps in small icon mode with XP themes enabled
If XP themes are enabled ( using an application manifest), item text in the ListView control overlaps other items in small icon view. With themes disabled, the next item is drawn at the end of the text of the earlier item. However, with themese enabled, the items are drawn as if aligned to a grid and this causes items to be drawn in overlapped manner which obviosuly looks horrible. What might be the problem? Bob ...

format on change event
i received some helpful code that upon change of a cell in one tab, the row is moved to another tab. is it possible to preserve the formatting of the row in the move to the next tab? i would think this would be relatively simple, but cant seem to come close to getting it to happen (the row is 5 columns long, with a thin outline around each cell and wrapped text in the last column). if the above is not possible, i thought that this might work (formatting the row in the new tab after the move has taken place), but im not sure where i am going wrong. Private Sub Worksheet_...

CStatic derived dialog and auto-resize
Hi, I would like to add auto-resizing feature to my Cstatic derived control. I mean when I load a bitmap I would like to adjust size dynamically. I tried to SendMessage WM_SIZE but it doesn't work. >I would like to add auto-resizing feature to my Cstatic derived control. I >mean when I load a bitmap I would like to adjust size >dynamically. >I tried to SendMessage WM_SIZE but it doesn't work. You can resize a window by using the SetWindowPos or MoveWindow APIs. Dave -- MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq ...

share folder without exchange
dear all, We run small company with 10 PC. We use outlook xp for send and receive email via a redhat sendmail server. My bos ask me whether her inbox, contact and calendar can be read and edit by her secretary. Is there any free and reliable solution for sharing outlook stuff (inbox, contact, etc) without ms exchange? Thanks.. See if the info here helps: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm "Isal Surisal" <faisal.ssi@gmail.com> wrote in message news:e3OSSj42FHA.3964@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > dear all, > > We run small company with 10 PC. We use outlook ...

Font sizes not saving (W2007 opening document originally created in W2003)
Hello, I have a 375 page document originally created in W2003 (or perhaps W2000). It was creeated with a Normal style of TNR 10 pt. Everytime I open it I have to change the font size from 11 pt back to 10 pt. When I modify, the radio button for "Only in this document" is checked but the changes don't keep. I really don't want to change my Normal template for new documents, but I'd like the font size to be retained. Am I missing something simple or do I have to mess with templates? Thanks, CJ This should not be happening unless you have "Automat...