remove "linear" from trendline legend entry

Hi,  I am plotting some data but I only want to show the trends so
I've hidden all the scatter points and am showing just the linear
trendlines.  However, the legend entries are Linear (April), Linear
(May) etc...is there any way to just show the series names without
"Linear"?
Thanks.
0
dschneid (1)

Right-click the trendline.
In the pop-up menu choose Format Trendline.
In the dialog box that appears, choose the Options tab.
Under Trendline name, select Custom and fill in the new name.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA  .

"dschneiderch" <dschneid@gmail.com>
wrote in message
> Hi,  I am plotting some data but I only want to show the trends so
> I've hidden all the scatter points and am showing just the linear
> trendlines.  However, the legend entries are Linear (April), Linear
> (May) etc...is there any way to just show the series names without
> "Linear"?
> Thanks.

Help required to solve a linear equation through excel
Hi all, I am trying to write a program wich accepts to two arrays one of coefficients and other of constants and solve it through Gauss eliminatiion method, the function directly writes the solution in a colum starting from the given cell I am not able to trace the problem with the code. though I am new to excel programming Can someone help me The code is as follows:- Option Base 1 Sub solution(coefficient As Range, constants As Range, output As Range) p = coefficient.Rows.Count n = coefficient.coloums.Count MsgBox ("HI") Dim a(), R(), sol() For v = 1 To p For j = 1 To n ...

Linear Line in Graph
I am trying to create a graph for Patients per day. I would like it to graph my current years patients per day, and then do a trend/linear line for prior years pt's per day. Is there anyway to accomplish this using Access 2007? Thanks in advance for your help. Yes. If you want a more complete response, we need to know: - Your table(s) structure with significant fields and data types - Explain the difference between your current and previous year's lines - Do you want a point for each date -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "Sr Accountant" wro...

Powerpoint Graph- Shading in between two linear graph lines
If I created a linear graph (in Powerpoint) with two lines: one showing actual money spent and the other showing the budget over the course of a year is it possible to shade the difference (or the region of space) between the two lines. Basically indicated the sizable difference in actual money spent and budget? Hi, Yes you can do this by adding 2 extra data series and plotting them as Area charts. Assuming your line data is currently in row 1 and 2 of the datasheet and your data is plotted By Rows. Copy row 2 to row 3 Copy row 1 to row 4 Now select the series in row 3 and change the...

Linear Regression #2
THE DATA ARE THE PERCENTAGE EXAMINATION MARKS (Y) AND TH PERCENTAGE ATTENDANCE AT CLASSES (X) FOR A GROUP OF 40 STUDENTS, PERFORM A LINEAR REGRESSION OF Y ON X AND USE THIS TO DETERMINE TH FOLLOWING AMOUNTS. INTERCEPT (a) 12.60463992 GRADIENT (b) 0.699961906 PREDICTED VALUE OF Y WHEN X = 60% PREDICTED VALUE OF Y WHEN X = 0% CORRELATION COEFFICIENT 0.81440364 COEFFICIENT OF DETERMINATION ESTIMATED ATTENDANCE WHEN MARK = 50% MARK % ATTENDANCE % WORKING AREA IF NEEDED 45 48 ...

interpolating non-linear curves in excel graphs
I'm generally quite happy with how excel graphs the moderately non-linear x-y data I supply it - the curves pass through all the data points with a pleasing fit. I'd just like to be able to get excel to interpolate on the graph for me. For instance, the curve passes through the points (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) which I supplied. How do I get excel to calculate and supply the value y3 from the point (x3, y3) on the curve it generated when I specify the value of x3? Assuming that the points (all three of them!) lie on a straight line y= mx + c Let's say your know x's are in A1:A...

Extrapolation of x value from the trendline of a non-linear graph
Hi I was wondering if it is possible to extrapolate the x value from a given y value on a scatterplot graph? I would like to extrapolate the value from the trendline produced using the 'moving average' trendline. The trendline is sigmoidal shaped This trendline doesn't let me produce an equation so I can't figure out the x value that way If I can't find the x value of the trendline, even the line formed by the data points would be good Thanks in advance for your help When you use the Moving Average feature you are not really making a trend line but just plotting the a...

tabulating results of non-linear function
In Excel'97, a complex spread sheet computes y = f(u, v) where y is the answer and u and v are variables. There are other variables as well, so really y = f( u, v, x, w) , but lets assume x and w are constant. I want to tabulate y as a function of u for several values of v, so they can be graphed. I can do this by manually sequentially entering the values for u and v and recording the value of each corresponding y. I can also write a macro to sequentially substitute a set of values for u and v, and in turn enter the computed value of y into a second spread sheet, so the u...

forced linear regression
Hello, I have a dataset with a (straight) line fit to it (with regression value and everything). My question is how do I take line with a different slope and force fit it to my data and optimise this new fit (i.e. get a new, obviously smaller, regression value that's a maximum for the forced slope with my data)? It's sort of the opposite of forcing a line through zero, I think. Anyway, is it possible, and if so where do I go to find out how to do it? I think you have to do it the old fashioned way. Attached is a example. If you don't have 'Solver...' on y...

calculate non linear equation lines using excel
how do i calcualte a non linear line equation using excel? i have the graph with the non loinear line on i just need to put the equation on. Dawn wrote: > how do i calcualte a non linear line equation using excel? i have the graph > with the non loinear line on i just need to put the equation on. > There are hundreds (or thousands) of forms of non-linear equations. You gotta know what you want to figure out how to get there. If you're looking for a simple approximation, then for example you can put your data points onto a chart in Excel. Then right click on the line on...

etsimate values of a linear trend for each pair of known values
Hi, is there a way to automatically fill in the blank cells between two numbers in a column B using a linear regression between those two points based on culumn A? Column A, B1, B5 and B7 are given. Column C (or B) should contain the results. I could use "b1+(b$5-b$1)/(ROW(b$5)-ROW(b$1))", but then I have to change the formula after each pair of values B and my data go for 3 years... A B C 1-jan 10 10 2-jan 12,5 3-jan 15 4-jan 17,5 5-jan 20 20 6-jan 14 7-jan 8 8 8-jan 9-ja...

data analysis-multiple linear regression with Excel 2007
Hi! I try to find the menu, but are confused about the new layout... Please help... Thanks Bjorn Hi Bjorn, Are you talking about Excel 2007? If so: Click the Data tab (probably top line of the Ribbon, next to Formulas). Now select the Analysis box, probably the most right-hand box. Also, you can also still use the Excel 2003 shortcuts: alt, A, Y2 -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "B D Jensen" <bjorn.d.jensen@gmail.com> wrote in message news:d832c146-92eb-4070-ac8d-38c1ff62c372@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com... | Hi! | I try to find the menu, but are co...

non-linear scale on Y-axis
Is it possible to have a non-linear user-specified scale on a Y-axis? I have a column chart showing deviation from "normal". It has to have a positive and a negative. "zero" should be 100%. The positives are eg 200%, 300%, 400%, 500%. The negatives are eg 80%, 60%, 40%, 20%, 0%. I want a column which is 500% to be the same length as a column for 20%. I want a column at 200% to be the same length as a column for 50%. The theory being 5 times "normal" is the same significance as one-fifth normal, and 2 times normal is the same significance as half normal. At the ...

linear increments
Hi, I am kind of new to excel and was wondering if excel is capable of doing linear increments. I want increments that can vary, meaning in one case i want to go from 0 to 10 in increments of 2 and in other cases i want to go from 0 to 10 in increments of 5. The number of cells change. Is it possible for excel to do this w/o having to specify the number of cells needed? -- NewGuy100 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ NewGuy100's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27935 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com...

Linear spacing of points in log scale
Hi, I am searching for a formula to derive linear spacing in a log chart. The spacing between 1 and 2 in log scale much more than between 8 and 9. To derive a 'smooth' graph I need more points at low values of the log scale. For a sufficient number of points for the x-axis i am searching for a formula to derive this. Ron, It's raising a number to arithmetically spaced powers that will result in such spacing on a log scale. Try this. Put a bunch of arithmetically spaced numbers in column A, and the following in B, copied down: =10^(A1/$C$1) Example: Column A contains 1,2,...

Linear Programming
In Excel how do you set up a 3 variable linear programming problem on a spreadsheet with a a number of constaints using Solver? Franklin - See the tutorials and examples at www.solver.com. Or, search your drive for the file solvsamp.xls, which is installed when Solver is installed and which has a 3-variable nonlinear example that is easily converted to linear. - Mike www.mikemiddleton.com +++++++++++++++++++ "Franklin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0c5a01c500bf$8f5038c0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > In Excel how do you set up a 3 variable ...

I suck at basic linear math
It's been too long ago since first grade. I wish to calculate the intersecting point of 2 lines: typedef struct { POINT from; POINT to; } LINE; BOOL GetIntersectingPoint(LINE line1, LINE line2, LPPOINT lpPoint) { // if intersect, set lpPoint, return TRUE, otherwise return FALSE } Can someone fill in the body of this function? Lisa >It's been too long ago since first grade. >I wish to calculate the intersecting point of 2 lines: >Can someone fill in the body of this function? Google Lisa! http://www.geog.ubc.ca/courses/klink/gis.notes/ncgia/u32.html Dave ...

Line Chart;Linear Trend; What's the Math behind it
Hi, Do you know what the math is behind the Linear Trendline which results when right clicking on a line chart? Thanks, John -- John Whyte The "Linest" function in Excel help has an explanation. -- Jim Cone Portland, Oregon USA http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware (Excel Add-ins / Excel Programming) "JohnW" <JohnW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message Hi, Do you know what the math is behind the Linear Trendline which results when right clicking on a line chart? Thanks, John -- John Whyte Thanks, Jim. I did try help but I was search...

I am looking for a function for linear interpolation
I am looking for a function for linear interpolation Look in HELP for the LINEST() function -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "azad" <azad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C53A752C-DF76-4B9F-9145-6F39495088B7@microsoft.com... >I am looking for a function for linear interpolation ...

Extracting Constant from Non-linear Trend line
Hi, I just want to ask for assistance on how to calculate the constant values on a given trend line (Non-linear). Basicaly standard equation is Y = AX^2 + BX + C. How can I calculate A, B, C, from a given x's_arrays and y's_arrays using excel (without the help from graph trendline). Thank you.:) Tom -- tomsan82 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ tomsan82's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35480 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=552542 See Trendline Coefficients and ...

X Axis Linear Representation Problem
I have a project involving a hiking trail where I am trying to capture altitude on Y axis versus mile marker location on X axis. I can enter the data in adjoining columns and use the chart wizard but each mile marker value gets positioned along the X axis in uniform increments rather than an actual linear scale representation. In other words, mile markers 3.3 and the next mile marker (3.8) are the same distance apart on the X axis in the graphic representation as is marker 3.8 and the next one (12.5). This distorts the graphic representation of the actual linear distance between the...

goal seek and non linear data
i have been attempting to use goal seek to solve for a series of data which are discounted cash flows. i have been told that goal seek does not work for non linear data, does anyone know a way around this or another tool that i could use? Hi Steve, Sure it works for non-linear data. It doesn't work for all series, however. Some discrete functions never reach a required result. For discounted cashflows it should work, I would have thought, but it depends on your starting points, the max number of iterations and the max difference between the actual and the required result. Please give us...

graph linear Algebra equations and inequalities
I am taking an online college course in Elementary Algebra and need to post my graphs online. Can anyone simply explain to me how to graph linear equations and inequalities. I was informed that I can do this using Excel but I have tried and tried and failed.....................Rox start with a B-O-O-K such as Excel fro Dummies -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Roxxanna" <Roxxanna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3BA775FB-7E97-4F06-96EC-1FC7B5DE8CA1@microsoft.com... >I am taking an online college course in Elemen...

Linear Regression
I have five numbers in: A1,B1,C1,D1,E1 Is there a function that will give me the linear regression of those numbers that can be put in D1, with charting etc? TIA Linear regression works with ordered pairs. row 1: 1,2,3,4,5 row 2: 2,4,6,8,<formula> formula in E2 : =FORECAST(E1,A2:D2,A1:D1) will return 10 Any use? best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "Saxman" <john.h.williamsREMOVETHIS@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:XpidnXpInZMDMx7WnZ2dnUVZ8m1i4p2d@bt.com... > I have five numbers in: &...

Help
Hello, All, I'm wondering if someone has already solved this problem. I have a slider control on a toolbar with non-linear intervals between tick marks. I've attached a tooltip control and I want to be able to change the text displayed based on the current position of the thumb button on the slider. So far I've had no success. I've tried text callbacks and directly manipulating the tooltip's text when I handle the slider's WM_HSCROLL message. The first option would at least break at the handler in debug mode on an NT platform, but failed when moved to XP. ...

splitting up linear transactions
hello. I have a two step manufacturing process, mix and fill. I am trying to split out the process so that I can build the finished good BOM in GP before building the mix BOM. I am prepared to incorporate standard costs. Has anyone any experience of doing this before? I am using GP v8. ...