Real-time charting of DDE links

Is it possible to chart DDE links in real-time in Excel?  Could someone
please point me in the right direction to find out how this can be done.
Thanks!
0
Andy1200 (318)

Could you provide a few more details about what you need? I've dabbled in
this area just a bit.
- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"andy" <andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to chart DDE links in real-time in Excel?  Could someone
> please point me in the right direction to find out how this can be done.
> Thanks!

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
11/28/2007 9:00:15 PM
I have DDE links for my stock analysis.  All the cells below are dynamically
updating and I would like the chart (in real-time) the number "-86.1%" from
below.  I would like to chart 1-minute candle stick charts that show the
open-high-low-close for each candle.  Do you possiblly know of any programs
that could do this for me?
Thanks!

	HIGH	LOW	LAST	Range
DD	48.33	46.97	47.15	-86.8%
DOW	44.33	43.53	43.70	-78.7%
AA	38.36	37.31	37.40	-91.4%
MON	96.50	94.26	94.56	-86.6%
FCX	114.24	107.19	108.10	-87.1%
				-86.1%
				=SUM(F2:FF6)/5
				=(Last-High)/(High-Low)

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Could you provide a few more details about what you need? I've dabbled in
> this area just a bit.
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______
>

> "andy" <andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is it possible to chart DDE links in real-time in Excel?  Could someone
> > please point me in the right direction to find out how this can be done.
> > Thanks!

0
Andy1200 (318)
11/28/2007 9:36:01 PM
How frequently is the data updated? Are the candlesticks the way you want to
show the average range calculation?

Basically you need a way to capture the data each time it changes. Probably
you will archive the data to another sheet, along with a time stamp. Since
the new values lead to a recalculation of the average range each time they
are updated, you could probably get away with using Worksheet_Calculate to
fire the archiving of data. I'd list the data in one range, then use
formulas to compute the minute by minute OHLC.

- Jon
-------

>I have DDE links for my stock analysis.  All the cells below are
>dynamically
> updating and I would like the chart (in real-time) the number "-86.1%"
> from
> below.  I would like to chart 1-minute candle stick charts that show the
> open-high-low-close for each candle.  Do you possiblly know of any
> programs
> that could do this for me?
> Thanks!
>
> HIGH LOW LAST Range
> DD 48.33 46.97 47.15 -86.8%
> DOW 44.33 43.53 43.70 -78.7%
> AA 38.36 37.31 37.40 -91.4%
> MON 96.50 94.26 94.56 -86.6%
> FCX 114.24 107.19 108.10 -87.1%
> -86.1%
> =SUM(F2:FF6)/5
> =(Last-High)/(High-Low)
>

> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> Could you provide a few more details about what you need? I've dabbled in
>> this area just a bit.
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "andy" <andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Is it possible to chart DDE links in real-time in Excel?  Could someone
>> > please point me in the right direction to find out how this can be
>> > done.
>> > Thanks!

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
11/28/2007 11:07:54 PM
The data is changing at a rapid fire speed because 5 stocks are linked to the
one number that I would like to chart.  For the chart, I think a
high-low-close chart would be fine instead of the candlesticks.  I just want
to see if the number moves really big in that 1-minute interval.  I am
unfamiliar with "Worksteet_Calculate"...I will have to study this.

Thanks Jon!

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> How frequently is the data updated? Are the candlesticks the way you want to
> show the average range calculation?
>
> Basically you need a way to capture the data each time it changes. Probably
> you will archive the data to another sheet, along with a time stamp. Since
> the new values lead to a recalculation of the average range each time they
> are updated, you could probably get away with using Worksheet_Calculate to
> fire the archiving of data. I'd list the data in one range, then use
> formulas to compute the minute by minute OHLC.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______
>

> "andy" <andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have DDE links for my stock analysis.  All the cells below are
> >dynamically
> > updating and I would like the chart (in real-time) the number "-86.1%"
> > from
> > below.  I would like to chart 1-minute candle stick charts that show the
> > open-high-low-close for each candle.  Do you possiblly know of any
> > programs
> > that could do this for me?
> > Thanks!
> >
> > HIGH LOW LAST Range
> > DD 48.33 46.97 47.15 -86.8%
> > DOW 44.33 43.53 43.70 -78.7%
> > AA 38.36 37.31 37.40 -91.4%
> > MON 96.50 94.26 94.56 -86.6%
> > FCX 114.24 107.19 108.10 -87.1%
> > -86.1%
> > =SUM(F2:FF6)/5
> > =(Last-High)/(High-Low)
> >

> > "Jon Peltier" wrote:
> >
> >> Could you provide a few more details about what you need? I've dabbled in
> >> this area just a bit.
> >> - Jon
> >> -------
> >> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> >> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> >> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
> >> _______
> >>

> >> "andy" <andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Andy1200 (318)
12/3/2007 12:58:01 PM
How rapid is rapid-fire? Once per second?

- Jon
-------

> The data is changing at a rapid fire speed because 5 stocks are linked to
> the
> one number that I would like to chart.  For the chart, I think a
> high-low-close chart would be fine instead of the candlesticks.  I just
> want
> to see if the number moves really big in that 1-minute interval.  I am
> unfamiliar with "Worksteet_Calculate"...I will have to study this.
>
> Thanks Jon!
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> How frequently is the data updated? Are the candlesticks the way you want
>> show the average range calculation?
>>
>> Basically you need a way to capture the data each time it changes.
>> Probably
>> you will archive the data to another sheet, along with a time stamp.
>> Since
>> the new values lead to a recalculation of the average range each time
>> they
>> are updated, you could probably get away with using Worksheet_Calculate
>> fire the archiving of data. I'd list the data in one range, then use
>> formulas to compute the minute by minute OHLC.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "andy" <andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have DDE links for my stock analysis.  All the cells below are
>> >dynamically
>> > updating and I would like the chart (in real-time) the number "-86.1%"
>> > from
>> > below.  I would like to chart 1-minute candle stick charts that show
>> > the
>> > open-high-low-close for each candle.  Do you possiblly know of any
>> > programs
>> > that could do this for me?
>> > Thanks!
>> >
>> > HIGH LOW LAST Range
>> > DD 48.33 46.97 47.15 -86.8%
>> > DOW 44.33 43.53 43.70 -78.7%
>> > AA 38.36 37.31 37.40 -91.4%
>> > MON 96.50 94.26 94.56 -86.6%
>> > FCX 114.24 107.19 108.10 -87.1%
>> > -86.1%
>> > =SUM(F2:FF6)/5
>> > =(Last-High)/(High-Low)

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
12/3/2007 1:31:04 PM
A couple of times per second.  The stocks linked to the value I would like to
chart are very active stocks.  They have active periods in the day and
somewhat inactive periods as well so it can vary.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> How rapid is rapid-fire? Once per second?
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______
>

> "andy" <andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The data is changing at a rapid fire speed because 5 stocks are linked to
> > the
> > one number that I would like to chart.  For the chart, I think a
> > high-low-close chart would be fine instead of the candlesticks.  I just
> > want
> > to see if the number moves really big in that 1-minute interval.  I am
> > unfamiliar with "Worksteet_Calculate"...I will have to study this.
> >
> > Thanks Jon!
> >
> > "Jon Peltier" wrote:
> >
> >> How frequently is the data updated? Are the candlesticks the way you want
> >> show the average range calculation?
> >>
> >> Basically you need a way to capture the data each time it changes.
> >> Probably
> >> you will archive the data to another sheet, along with a time stamp.
> >> Since
> >> the new values lead to a recalculation of the average range each time
> >> they
> >> are updated, you could probably get away with using Worksheet_Calculate
> >> fire the archiving of data. I'd list the data in one range, then use
> >> formulas to compute the minute by minute OHLC.
> >>
> >> - Jon
> >> -------
> >> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> >> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> >> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
> >> _______
> >>

> >> "andy" <andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Andy1200 (318)

Real Problem!
One of my users is getting Mail Delivery error messages saying that the message cannot be sent because the following address cannot be found. the users are mostly all@aol.com, but the thing is, she is not sending the messages. This sounds viral, or like spam, but I don't know how to solve it since the address that is sending the mail to the aol users has no mailbox associated with it. It's just a forward email address. Please help me. -- Wack ---- This message will self destruct. This is a little drastic, and would require the user to notify her external contacts, but you cou...

Need a template for a chart in APA format
I need to do an assignment for Psych. on Stress and Disease, I need to do a chart and am looking for a template. ...

time sheet formula
I need to analyze the hours worked by employees on certain days off to determine how many hours, during what would be their normal shift time, that they actually worked. Here's how I have the columns: A= Time started, B= time finished, C= the total hours worked, D= normal shift time start, E= normal shift end time. If someone works from 3:00 AM (3:00) until 9:00 AM (9:00), leaves but is recalled at 2:00 PM (14:00) until 5:00 PM (17:00), and the normal shift time is 7:00 AM (7:00) until 3:PM (15:00), F= what formula will capture the hours worked between 7:00 AM and 3:00 PM? I wou...

Copy chart into Word exactly!
Hi I have a full page landscape chart in excel, I want to be able to copy this page into word, but whenever I try and copy and paste it, the whole thing reformats and half the axes text has disappeared etc. Surely there must be a way around this? Thanks A very frustrated Lawrence! Things to try: Hold down the Shift key when you copy. This changes the Edit>Copy command to Edit>Copy Picture. Additionally, when Pasting into Word, use Edit>Paste Special & see if you have any other "source format" options available to you that might work better. HTH, "Lawrenc...

Links To Task Fr Calendar & Contacts
I do not know how to link my calendar & contacts to my task. Is this possible & it so how. Thanks jb You can link items to Contacts by opening the item and selecting the Contacts button at the bottom. On some items, such as Note items, you need to select Options from the View menu to see the Contacts button. Once you have items linked to Contacts, you can view those items through the Contact's Activities tab. If you right-click your Contacts folder, select Properties, and then select Activities; you can select which folders are searched for linked items. It's not as straig...

Formula to calculate over-time
I am trying to set up a formula to calculate my over-time. I want to set up if number is greater than 9, 9 goes to regular time and balance to overtime and if it is less than nine number goes to regular time. I also need a formula to calculate OT once regular hours reach 45 balance to ot? http://www.cpearson.com/excel/overtime.htm -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Debbie Mack" <Debbie Mack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D0E28D9C-F917-4135-B68A-C917856AFFD4@microsoft.com... >I am trying to set up a formula to calculate my over-ti...

trapping charts event
I'm writing a macro in which the user has to choose 2 value on a bar-graph. I can trap chart events as Jon Peltier say ( http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=221, ), but following his way I trap *always* chart events. What I want is to trap chart event in a chart sheet only one time, and after that I want to leave the charts event control back to excel. Is it possible? Sorry for my newbie-ness :-( When you have the information you need, and don't need more events from the chart, deactivate the chart events. Set clsEventChart.EvtChart = Nothing - Jon ------...

Selective Link to Picture
I want to show a linked (not embedded) picture based on entry in a cell. This way, I can keep the excel spreadsheet light. Any help? ...

Can't stop time duration [hh]:mm:ss converting to time of day
I am trying to import an excel spreadsheet with 12000+ records to access but can't stop a formatting problem for a time duration field. The data appears correctly in Excel cells as E.g. 00:17:33 but in the formula bar as "12:17:33 AM" and the latter is what ends up in the Access database. I have unlocked the cell format protection, have reformatted the column using cell format to [hh]:mm:ss or [mm]:ss and the format changes will appear in the data in the column but still appears in the formula bar as 12:17:33 AM. It is apparent that Excel is interpreting the entry as a ...

Locating workbook links
How do you locate cells that are linked to another workbook? I copied formulas and data from another workbook into a new workbook. I did not intentionally link any cells in the new workbook to the original. Upon opening the new workbook file I get a message that there are links to another workbook and the question of whether I want to update the current workbook. I need to locate the cells with links to eliminate the links. "Jeff Cummings" <jeff@deloachvineyards.com> wrote in message news:2659001c38e7a$f6dc8fb0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How do you locate cells that ...

Bar Chart with Vertical Line
I have a Bar Chart with Character data in the Y axis and numeric data in the X axis. I want to put a vertical line on the chart. I have reviewed Jon Peltier's documents on putting horizontal and vertical lines on Column Charts, but haven't been able to get it to work for Bar Charts. Can someone assist? Thanks, Barb Hi Barb, Have a look at my average line example. There is a sheet detailing methods for Bar charts. http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm Cheers Andy Barb Reinhardt wrote: > I have a Bar Chart with Character data in the Y axis and numeric data in t...

Allow Links on record navigation pane to open in new window
We've been trying to add links to some of our internal custom pages onto a contact records navigation pane in the ISV.config. It appears the only way those work is to open the link into the form itself vs. opening the page in a new window. We've tried using HTML commands to open in a new window, but it won't even import teh ISV.config with that in there. It would be great if we could open in a new window from those links... ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion,...

Mail Attachments/Links
I'm using Outlook 2002 but cannot open attachments and links contained in received messages. Suggestions? You mean links send as attachments (lnk- and url-files)? These are considered unsafe and are therefore blocked. It's better to have you send text based links instead. When this is not possible you can unblock them by the steps posted below http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/blockedattachments.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "n...

Why does the history of a document print out every time?
I don't want the history to print. In the Print dialog box (Ctrl+P), make sure that "Document" is selected in the "Print what" box. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP (Message posted via NNTP) "Eseta" <Eseta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2C1E2521-4641-44D2-A3A9-D254A0771F3D@microsoft.com... >I don't want the history to print. ...

Copy/Paste Charts on slide
I'm using XP and when I copy and paste a chart on to the same slide (in the hopes of having 2 identical charts side by side) the formatting for one or both charts ALWAYS changes. How can I copy and past charts while preserving formatting, sizing, etc.? PowerPoint 2007 Try the following (it worked for me). 1. I launched a new Presentation. 2. Home / Slides group / click on drop down arrow to the right of New Slide / click on Comparison / slide number 2 should launch. 3. Go to where you chart was (mine was in an EXCEL 2007 file). 4. Click on the Chart / right cli...

In Publisher, each time I try to save the file, I get an error mes
When making corrections to my file (several pages) after a while I get a message, Publisher can not save my file and it shut's down without saving. After the next startup the same proceedure. That way I never get to an end. What version Publisher? Open the file in safe mode, if you have no problems saving then it probably is a driver issue. Earlier versions of Publisher saved all printer information with the file, if the driver is corrupt you will get errors. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Kurt" <Ku...

Is there a Time picker?
I've read numerous posts on numerous boards about time formating, none of which provide a direction to a true time picker. There are many a date/time picker references. It would seem to be the answere to many formating questions and would be a life saver to me. Anyone know of such a bit of code? Thanks Barry You could build one. In a fresh UserForm place a textbox (TextBox1) and try pasting the below code ...Use up/down arrows to adjust the time Private Sub UserForm_Activate() Me.TextBox1 = Format(Now, "hh:mm") End Sub Private Sub TextBox1_KeyDo...

how to sort by number of times played, and last played?
Hi, I've been keeping track of the songs played by my band for the last few weeks, and I want to be able to sort the list by how often the song has been played, and also by when it was played last. Currently I have column headings of: [date] [set number] [song number (within the set)] [song name] and I would like to get a list [or report, whatever] like this: [song name] [times played] song 1����� 26 song 2����� 24 song 3����� 20 song 4����� 20 song 5����� 16 etc and also: [song name] [last played] song 1����� [date][set][no.] song 2����� [date][set][no.] song 3����� [date][set...

iif statement using time
I would like to create an iif statement to peform this: I have a form that has a button employees click to login. When they click this button, the time appears in a textbox ([Login]). I would like for another textbox ([Report]) to show whether or not the employee was late. The new textbox ([Report]) should say the words "Late" or "OK" depending on whether or not they logged in before 8:05 AM. Thanks. If it is JUST the time in the LOGIN then you should be able to use =IIF([Login]<=#08:05:00 AM#,"OK","Late") John Spencer Ac...

Gantt Chart and Critical Path
I have a spreadsheet where I enter time line data in the cells and from that information generate a Gantt chart. What I would like is a way to have symbols on my chart to show milestones, and end points. Anybody have any ideas as to how I could add those symbols on a chart? Thanks. Royce - That's a page I haven't added to my web site yet. Your gantt chart is a stacked (or floating) bar chart. To add symbols, you need to add additional series, using time as your X values, and a normalized Y value corresponding to the bar that needs the marker. Use 1 for your topmost bar, and N...

Sending multiple/duplicate emails at same time
How do I select all the emails addresses at one time to whom I wish to send a duplicate notice of my email address change? Click the To button and it will bring up your address book. In the "Name" list, you can either select addresses one at a time and press the To button again to add the addresses to that field, or you can hold down the CTRL key while clicking multiple names and they will be added all at once. Click OK to add them all to your e-mail message. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply...

Is This Real?
Have you seen this yet? http://www.247AutomaticIncome.com ...

Scatter Charts
I am using an XY scatter chart with data that looks like Name Priority Date Lic/Ow Free 12/16/1998 Lic Warner 1/28/1999 Lic Buckmon 7/12/2001 Ow Tucker 12/28/2000 Ow The Y values are the priority dates and x values would Lic or Own. Each dataset would be referenced in vertical columns. The problem is how to change data labels so that reflect the data in the name column and the data in the Lic/Own column. Hope you can help. Thanks. Thanks but I was able to use the XY Chart Labeler from Ap...

Crystal Columns Based on Time Elements
Hello: For those of you familiar with FRx, you know that you can have a column that references the current month and current fiscal year, and a separate column of data representing the current month but for the prior fiscal year. Is it possible to build this sort of logic in Crystal? I have written a complex inventory sales report that accurately shows sales data for any particular fiscal month and fiscal year. I wrote this based on parameter fields for month and year chosen by the end user when refreshing the report. But, I also need a column that shows that same data (same items) i...

Easy Time Entry
Hi, Anyone know some code I could use to easily enter times into cells. For example, I currently type '20:15' (without the quote's of course) but would much rather type 2015 & have it appear as 20:15 See Chip Pearson's site for quick entry of dates and times. Note: event code is required which Chip provides. http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm Elsewise you would need a helper column to change the numbers to times. If you don't need to use the times for calculations you can use this custom number format: 00":"00 Examples: Typ...