Read series values range of a chart

Is it possible to read the existing range defined in the values under source
data/series/Values? The reason is that I have a checkbox to hide/show the
value. Since I don't know the range, I want to read and put into a temp
variable so that when the user wants to show it again, I can add my temp
variable into the values box.
Is it doable?

Thanks
0
matelot (9)

You can parse the series formula. John Walkenbach has a class module which
does this for you:

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"matelot" <matelot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to read the existing range defined in the values under
> source
> data/series/Values? The reason is that I have a checkbox to hide/show the
> value. Since I don't know the range, I want to read and put into a temp
> variable so that when the user wants to show it again, I can add my temp
> variable into the values box.
> Is it doable?
>
> Thanks

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
5/14/2007 5:30:38 PM
Jon,
That's exactly what I need. Thanks so much for pointing me to the right
direction.

Mat

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> You can parse the series formula. John Walkenbach has a class module which
> does this for you:
>
>     http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip83.htm
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "matelot" <matelot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is it possible to read the existing range defined in the values under
> > source
> > data/series/Values? The reason is that I have a checkbox to hide/show the
> > value. Since I don't know the range, I want to read and put into a temp
> > variable so that when the user wants to show it again, I can add my temp
> > variable into the values box.
> > Is it doable?
> >
> > Thanks

0
matelot (9)

Reading .wks file

Finding Values in a "Matrix"
I have a matrix I have created in Excel. I am using this for correlations. I have cells B1 through G1 filled with text names (the same values as A2 through A7). In the matrix fields I calulate their correlations. In a seperate field, say J1, I am calculating the highest correlation value from my matrix. What I would like to do in cells K1 and/or L1 is find the corresponding text names for that high correlation. So for example if cell E1 is Red and cell A2 is Magenta and their correlation is .95, the highest in the matrix, Cell J1 calculates .95. I would like cell(s) K1 and/or L1...

How do I set different error bars per data point in a series
Prior versions of Excel allowed different error bars per data point. I am now using Excel 2003 and apparently error bars can only be set for the entire series. Since my data points in a series are really averages from other series I want to include their error bars. Hi, XL 2003 still have the option to plot custom error bar values. Double click the series and check the Error bars tab, there should be both a custom positive and negative refedit control to allow you to select a range to use. Check Jon's page for example and screen shots. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/Err...

Formula to update cell w/ActiveCell.Value?
Can I put a formula in a certain cell that will, on recalculation, update that cell with the value of the current ActiveCell? Ed Ed, Don't think so. But this sub will do it. Paste it into the sheet module. Change the location as necessary. Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) Application.EnableEvents = False ' prevent retriggering Range("A1") = ActiveCell.Text Application.EnableEvents = True End Sub -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Ed" <Ed_Millis@NOSPAM.Ho...

excel duplicate range name warning
When copying worksheets in excel it is possible to duplicate range name causing local (worksheet specific) range names. Sometimes Excel warn you when this is going to happen, sometimes the warning does no appear. Could anyone tell me the rules as to wether the warning i given or no -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I think you get the warning when there are formulae on the sheet you are copying referring to range names that could refer to either the new or the old workbook. "Key_masteruk >" wrote: > When copying worksheets in excel it is possible to duplica...

Series including text possible?
Is there a better way to create a "series" that is based on characters as well as digits than what I'm doing below? I created 3 columns. I put the text in one, the digits in the second that I could apply the series to, with the 3rd column holding a ":". But when I paste into the text file, I have tabs separating the 3 columsn where I was hoping for no space. So this here - NAQAHDAH 01 : NAQAHDAH 02 : NAQAHDAH 03 : should paste like this - NAQAHD6H01: NAQAHDAH02: NAQAHDAH03: NAQAHDAH04: NAQAHDAH05: NAQAHDAH06: NAQAHDAH07: NAQAHDAH08: NAQAHDAH09 Is there perhaps a w...

Why the hidden column can't be shown on charts?
It is strange that when the data is quoted from a hidden column, the data can'be showed on charts. is it one default excel charts properties? I'm not farmilia with excel chart. does anyone can help me let this data shown on charts? Thanks and regards, Viesta Hi, It is an option. in xl2003 select the chart and then use the menus Tools > Options > Chart uncheck Plot visible cells only Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "ViestaWu" <viesta.wu@konecranes.com> wrote in message news:B9B878F3-2CD0-402E-97CE-4D2C8C391719@mi...

Read mail arn't marked as read anymore

Getting rid of the formula but keep the Value
I have created a PRODUCT formula linked with certain cells and inputed the values elsewhere on the spreadsheet. However, whenever I cut and paste the values on another worsksheet or program, the formula shows up and not the value. Is there a way to keep the value when transferring it to another location? Copy>Paste Special>Values should work. >-----Original Message----- > >I have created a PRODUCT formula linked with certain cells >and inputed the values elsewhere on the spreadsheet. > >However, whenever I cut and paste the values on another >worskshee...

Public variable does not retain value
Hi Folks, I have a VBA module that: 1) creates a custom spreadsheet 2) creates a temporary command bar 3) adds vba code to the workbook module for specific events 4) controls toolbars per work sheet using event handlers When the new custom sheet is created a toolbar is created (if not already in existence). Near the end of the main module, to activate the toolbar, I am using Code: -------------------- Worksheets(2).Activate Worksheets(1).Activate -------------------- thus triggering the "Workbook_SheetActivate" code (which is created/added by the mainsubroutine ). The...

File won't open as read only

How can I manipulate an excel chart by clicking and verify the ta
in excel 2003 we click on a point and after appearing an arrow we could change its position to manipulate it. Meanwhile the table is corrected automatically. In excel 2007 it is impossible. Do you please help me? Hi, This feature has been removed in xl2007. As yet I am not aware of anybody creating a addin to replace this feature. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Danesh" <Danesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5C3C8373-7681-4379-BF16-F9F58F7A7F95@microsoft.com... > in excel 2003 we click on a point and after ...

Do not display Zero values
Hi All I have two columns, in the first i have numbers, next labels. I need to make a pie chart that ignores all numbers (and respective labels) that are zero. Is there a way to do that? Thanks in advance! Stan Hi Stan, Check the example and the Alternative link example. http://www.andypope.info/charts/piezeros.htm Cheers Andy Stan Altshuller wrote: > Hi All > > I have two columns, in the first i have numbers, next labels. > I need to make a pie chart that ignores all numbers (and respective labels) > that are zero. > > Is there a way to do that? > > Tha...

donut on the outside series, hole filled in with second series
Hi, This is my first posting. I saw an article in the Money & Investin section of the Wall Street Journal 7/12/04, titled "American Way, Som Take It, Some Leave It" regarding residential mortgages. The article had a chart showing mortgage debt as a % of GDP in th outside donut and the inside hole filled in totally with home ownershi rates. It was as if there was a donut chart used for the first serie and a pie chart used to fill in the donut hole for the second series There was a chart for each country under consideration. How would I create this type of chart? Thanks for an...

#value error for simple calculation
In cell E6, I have this calculation: =d6*.95. When I have a number in d6, the formula works fine but when I take the number out of d6, I get the #value error. Is there a way around this so that cell E6 is left blank when there's no number in d6? Thanks for any help. Hi Peter embed your formula in an if statement, e.g. =IF(D6="","",d6*.95) Cheers JulieD "Peter McCaul" <compcoff@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:e0yrvnmxEHA.2316@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > In cell E6, I have this calculation: =d6*.95. When I have a number in d6, > the f...

reading confirmation

keep formula after typing in a value in a excel cell
Hi there, my problem is, that i need something like: there is a function in a excel-cell (for example '=setvalue("sqlserver", "DB", "table")'). now i type in a value (for example 100) then the function "setvalue" must write this value (100) in the server, db and table from the parameters. after leaving the cell the formula is still the same and only the value 100 ist visible for the user. and if i go back to the cell than i can see the function in the menubar. there is a product from applix (TM1) and they did it. the problem is, that the souce...

Charts sums 2 data series
Have 2 col of data and names 2 data series. But the second series is a total of the first no. plus the second no. I want each col to be a separate line on the chart. Right click on the chart, choose Chart Type (or Change Chart Type depending on Excel version), pick the first subtype, which is just arbitrary series, not the second, which is stacked, or the third, which is stacked to 100%. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://peltiertech.com/ Sig74462 wrote: > Have 2 col of data and names 2 data series. But the second series is a total > of the fi...

location of chart
The option to have the chart on the same sheet is not available. Why not? will need more information to even have a guess. "bludik" wrote: > The option to have the chart on the same sheet is not available. Why not? Is the sheet/workbook structure protected? -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <9A832669-4C00-40CE-A265-E4A9772CF20B@microsoft.com>, bludik@discussions.microsoft.com says... > The option to have the chart on the same sheet is not available. Why no...

The memory could not be "read".

Range names in financial projections; to enable getting data from a specific period
Hello -- In projecting cash flows over time, I want to name the summary rows (revenue, expenses, capital expenditures, etc.) so that I can easily get each row's value for a specific period, for further processing. I have seen the method where columns and rows are named, and the intersection of a column and row is named using their combination, separated by a space (as the intersection operator). Can anyone recommend methods which have worked for them? Thanks for any help. Larrry Mehl mehl_at_cyvest.com Select table and set it up via Insert/Name/Creat -- Message posted from http:/...

find formula and return value
Hi i am using the following formula to find text in a cell =IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("Super",B96)),"OK", "Not OK") and return a value. i have adapted the formula for another spreadsheet and simply added more values to check, i.e. =IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("Super""Account""Business:,B96)),"OK", "Not OK") but it doesnt seem to work. where i can see the value in the cell it is not returning ok instead of not ok. is there a limit to the number of values i can search and if so why doesnt it say as an error? what am i missing? Thanks v...

how can i copy a document to a CD without making it read only?
HOW CAN I COPY A DOCUMENT TO A CD WITHOUT MAKING IN READ ONLY? You can't. It is not the file, but the media, that is read only. Even CD-RW media does not allow editing a file on the CD. Copy te file from CD to HD, mak edits and if a CD-RW you should be able to burn the edited file back to the CD. hth "DON" wrote: > HOW CAN I COPY A DOCUMENT TO A CD WITHOUT MAKING IN READ ONLY? ...