Putting Excel Charts into a Word document that's getting too big

I am creating a Word document (our Annual Report) in which I will have many
charts and graphs that were created in Excel.  Currently, there will be at
least 26 graphs/charts in the document.

In the past, there have apparently been problems with not having enough
space to save the Word document because it gets too big.  The document itself
is only about 36 pages, but, as I mentioned, within the 36 pages are at least
26 graphs and charts.  I'm  looking for a way to copy the graphs/charts into
Excel without it taking so much memory.

One solution we thought of was to only paste the graph/chart once we know
the data will not change, and to paste it in without any links.  However, I
can't figure out how to do this.

Because the graphs/charts are so complicated, and have so much data, they
seem to be too big.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I could do about this?  What's the
best way to copy the charts/graphs into Word?

We are using Excel and Word 2000 if that makes a difference.

Jennifer
0
Jennifer1 (141)

There are several aspects to your question. One key point that I'd like to
make is the idea you can add dumb pictures of your Excel charts which
require very little space or you can add the entire workbook and Excel
chart.

It sounds like you are copying the Excel chart in Excel then going to word
and hitting paste. When you do this you are actually copying the entire
book.

The alternative method that reduces file size in word is to use Edit> Paste
Special> (Enhanced meta File> . with this method you have a dumb picture, no
link back to Excel file. However, you have a smaller Word file, important
when you have dozens of charts.

You can reduce size even further by Exporting Excel charts as jpeg or gif
files then importing into Word.

Hope this helps.

"Jennifer" <Jennifer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am creating a Word document (our Annual Report) in which I will have many
> charts and graphs that were created in Excel.  Currently, there will be at
> least 26 graphs/charts in the document.
>
> In the past, there have apparently been problems with not having enough
> space to save the Word document because it gets too big.  The document
> itself
> is only about 36 pages, but, as I mentioned, within the 36 pages are at
> least
> 26 graphs and charts.  I'm  looking for a way to copy the graphs/charts
> into
> Excel without it taking so much memory.
>
> One solution we thought of was to only paste the graph/chart once we know
> the data will not change, and to paste it in without any links.  However,
> can't figure out how to do this.
>
> Because the graphs/charts are so complicated, and have so much data, they
> seem to be too big.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for what I could do about this?  What's
> the
> best way to copy the charts/graphs into Word?
>
> We are using Excel and Word 2000 if that makes a difference.
>
> Jennifer

0
dkod (205)
3/9/2006 8:41:58 PM
If you decide to use bitmaps, don't use jpg, use png or gif. However,
bitmaps are not as good a choice, because you can't change their size, even
a little, without distortion. Metafiles are tolerant of resizing, at least
to an extent. FWIW, there is no difference in the appearance of a regular
and an enhanced metafile; the difference relates to header information
hidden away in the file. A metafile may even be smaller than a bitmapped
image.

I'd paste the pictures using paste special - links. This contributes hardly
any more to the Word file size than a metafile, but it's dynamic, in case
the data is still moving, and at the end of the process, you can copy the
linked chart in Word, then paste special again, as a metafile. Or even go to
Edit > Links, and break the link, which converts the chart to a metafile.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions -
http://PeltierTech.com/
2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html
_______

"Kelly O'Day" <dkod@comcast.net> wrote in message
> There are several aspects to your question. One key point that I'd like to
> make is the idea you can add dumb pictures of your Excel charts which
> require very little space or you can add the entire workbook and Excel
> chart.
>
> It sounds like you are copying the Excel chart in Excel then going to word
> and hitting paste. When you do this you are actually copying the entire
> book.
>
> The alternative method that reduces file size in word is to use Edit>
> Paste Special> (Enhanced meta File> . with this method you have a dumb
> picture, no link back to Excel file. However, you have a smaller Word
> file, important when you have dozens of charts.
>
> You can reduce size even further by Exporting Excel charts as jpeg or gif
> files then importing into Word.
>
> Hope this helps.
>

> "Jennifer" <Jennifer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I am creating a Word document (our Annual Report) in which I will have
>>many
>> charts and graphs that were created in Excel.  Currently, there will be
>> at
>> least 26 graphs/charts in the document.
>>
>> In the past, there have apparently been problems with not having enough
>> space to save the Word document because it gets too big.  The document
>> itself
>> is only about 36 pages, but, as I mentioned, within the 36 pages are at
>> least
>> 26 graphs and charts.  I'm  looking for a way to copy the graphs/charts
>> into
>> Excel without it taking so much memory.
>>
>> One solution we thought of was to only paste the graph/chart once we know
>> the data will not change, and to paste it in without any links.  However,
>> can't figure out how to do this.
>>
>> Because the graphs/charts are so complicated, and have so much data, they
>> seem to be too big.
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions for what I could do about this?  What's
>> the
>> best way to copy the charts/graphs into Word?
>>
>> We are using Excel and Word 2000 if that makes a difference.
>>
>> Jennifer

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Excel Toolbars
I have a user who only after being migrated to active directory cannot save his toolbars in Excel. Any ideas? ...

Excel Search Inquiry
I have been struggling with this question for the last few weeks, and finally have resorted to asking for help. I am trying to get a search field so that when i type out an item in a list that the resulting title respond as illustrated in the image below. If anyone can offer some assistance, it would be greatly appreciated. http://www.redlightcreations.com/shared/excelsearch.JPG -- Kenrossco ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Kenrossco's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29484 View this thread: http://www.exce...

In a chart how do I make the bars bigger?
How can I change the size of bars in a chart??? Click once on the bars. Right-click on your mouse. Choose Selected Object from the menu. In the Format Data Series dialog box, go to the Options tab. You can adjust the width of the bars via the Gap Width input. ---- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "doxylady" wrote: > How can I change the size of bars in a chart??? I had this problem myself today. I found that the gap and width sizing weren't changing to width of the bars in my graph. It seems to have something to do with using a date as the Categor...

Problem exporting with long strings to Excel using getrows and an array
Hi Using Access and Excel XP I have a generic function which I use to dump a recordset into Excel and apply a little formating etc. This has worked for years without issue. On my development machine (which is isolated and does not have the latest service packs applied - naughty I know) I have successfully dumped recordsets containing strings as long as 1500 characters (I haven't bothered trying to test for a limit as it works fine for what we handle). On the user machines (which are connected to the internet and have all the latest service packs etc. automatically installed) if th...

After getting rid of virus
After finally removing Total PC Defender..I have icons on desktop but when I click windows cannot find file. Same with using start..Have I deleted something maybe? Can only use computer off line..will not connect to internet... Chicken wrote: > After finally removing Total PC Defender..I have icons on desktop but w= hen I=20 > click windows cannot find file. Same with using start..Have I deleted=20 > something maybe? Can only use computer off line..will not connect to=20 > internet... Here are a few things to try for the failed internet connection: Open Internet ...

PUTTING NUMBERS IN A CELL
I AM TRYING TO ENTER A NUMBER THAT BEGINS WITH ZERO'S AFTER I ENTER IT THE ZERO'S DISAPPEAR, HOW DO I KEEP THEM IN Please turn off the CAPS Lock, more than two lines would be extremely difficult to read. Reading caps is annoying. Format the column as text, if the leading zero is important to you then it is an identification not a number. The default alignment for text is left aligned which is also better for most identification "numbers". Credit card numbers are 16 digits, are identification and can not be entered as numbers, ever, because Excel only retains 15 si...

Excel on the Web #2
I need to put an excel file out on the web. After saving it in the HTML format what would be my next step. Thanks Frank ...

How do you select a specific Visio tab when 'Inserting Object' into Word doc?
I am inserting an object (Visio diagram) in my Word document so that updates to the Visio diagram are automatically reflected in the Word doc. I clicked Insert > Object > Link to File, and used it as a workaround to the bug found when you copy the Visio diagram by clicking Edit > Paste Special > Paste Link (bug is found if the Visio diagram is on a file share; you can't insert it - the option for Paste Link is grayed out). This Insert > Object workaround works fine, HOWEVER, my Visio file has multiple tabs on it. How do I distinguish which tab I want to embed? ...

MySQL ODBC to Excel
Afternoon all, Having searched seemingly everywhere i think i can guess the answer i am going to get - but here goes... Using the MySQL ODBC client I can pull data from my database into Excel. Is it then possible for me to directly edit this data from Excel into the database - this is "possible" from within Access. Thanks Richard On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 08:40:31 -0800 (PST), rjre <rjredwards@googlemail.com> wrote: >Having searched seemingly everywhere i think i can guess the answer i >am going to get - but here goes... > >Using the MySQL ODBC client I can pull dat...

Shared Spread sheet(Excel 97)
Some users have reported Excel locking up when they open a specific spread sheet, and others have no problem. If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated Thank ...

Can you put white space outside a textbox?
When I put pictures in my publisher file, sometimes I want captions for the pictures. So I make a tiny textbox that I put under the picture, and type in a caption into that textbox. The problem is that I can make the picture have some space to left and right of it so that text doesn't crowd into the picture, but I can't do that with the textbox containing the caption. Is there any way to prevent outside text from crowding the borders of a textbox? You can move that textbox wherever you need. You don't need to leave space inside when you can steer clear of the textbox itself. ...

EXCEL 2002 #3
CAN'T OPEN FILES IN SUBFOLDER - ERROR MESSAGE 1. CAN'T FILE FILE 2. DDE ERROR WHEN WORKSHEET MOVED OUT OF FILE TO ANOTHER FOLDER IT CAN BE OPENED. OR IF MOVED TO DISK IT CAN BE OPENED ANY SUGGESTIONS? Sometimes one of these works: Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then Windows Start Button|Run excel /regserver The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets the windows registry to excel's factory defaults. An alternative might be to do: Try Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) "J. SMITH" wrote: > > ...

Calendar in Excel
Can someone help me with a calendar to use in Excel that can be formatted so as to show special dates, current holidays, etc. WARNING: I need explicit instructions. This sort of stuff is not intuitive to me. Thanks, Dot ...

Three line charts on same chart
can I break the y axis to plot three series with total different value on the same line chart and showing their clear paths. Chris, These sites might help: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html http://andypope.info/charts/brokencolumn.htm These examples deal with columns but you can easily apply the same concepts to line charts. ---- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "Chris" wrote: > can I break the y axis to plot three series with total different value on the > same line chart and showing their clear paths. Chris - Here's anoth...

Where to put SQL statements in VC++ Application
I am wondering if putting all my SQL statements in the string table is a good idea. Is there a better place to store these statements?? Thanks in advance for any responses. Dominic Inline in the code, they arnt particually helpful to put in the string table. -- - Mark Randall http://zetech.swehli.com "Those people that think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do" Isaac Asimov <dominicgualtieri@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1129050897.519688.176820@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I am wondering if putting all my SQL statements in...

Excel Problems
I hope you can help with a problem with a spreadsheet caused by compatibility between word & excel I had a multi-page spreadsheet which I opened via Word by mistake - some of the data is now missing in word Now I can't open the spreadsheet other than in Word although it is still a.xls file Opening in Excel you get "file format is not valid" error message. It will open in Word but not all the data is there. Can I recover this file? I don't think you can - maybe someone else can prove me wrong, but I think you need to be looking for a backup copy if you can find o...

Getting email addresses.
Hi, I have a customer who wants to get a list of all the email addresses that are passed through his exchange server, both inbound and outbound. They are using the tracking centre so I was wondering if there was a way of getting the info out of here. Has anyone done this or is it even possible? Is there a better way? Please let me know, Thanks, Chris This information is stored in message tracking logs and in SMTP logs, if logging is enabled. I think your favorite spreadsheet app will help yo with extraction. Logs can be found in \\servername\servername.log. Chris Gradden wrote...

Join based on next closest value (like Excel VLOOKUP)
Trying to do something similar to a VLOOKUP (Excel) in an Access 2003 query. I have the following tables: JOBS Job,Quantity A,96 B,256 C,300 D,4299 COSTS Quantity,Cost 0, $1000 100, $1200 200, $1500 300, $2000 400, $2500 500, $3000 I need a query that takes JOBS.Quantity, looks it up in COSTS.Quantity and find the cost for the NEXT LOWEST quantity. (Example: Job B has a quantity of 256 and the next LOWEST quantity from COSTS is 200 so Job B costs $1500.) The results should be as follows: JOBS.Job,COSTS.Cost A,$1000 B,$1500 C,$2000 D,$3000 This would be ...

Template Wizard and Excel versions
I hope I posted this in the correct place... I created a form with Template Wizard using Excel 2000; whenever you change certain pieces of data in this worksheet, it automatically adds a record to another worksheet saved elsewhere. I have gotten it to work on my computer (which uses Excel 2000); when I save the template to the appropriate place on my boss's computer (using the network), and use my computer to run it, it also works correctly. However, when I try to use the template with my boss's Excel 97, it doesn't update the database worksheet at all. (I just tried i...

Excel Version
Is there any way to find out what version of Excel a spreadsheet was originally created with? see if this helps. Otherwise, probably not. Sub whatversion() msgbox ActiveWorkbook.FileFormat End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "1 of 1" <the.cube@deep.space.inv> wrote in message news:O9dnkCNUGHA.4492@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Is there any way to find out what version of Excel a spreadsheet was > originally created with? > It corresponds to the xl constant: xlWorkbookNormal So it doesn't help too much. 1 of 1 wrote: > ...

Finding y-values in budget curve app with Excel & VBA
I've been seeking a solution to finish a development project for a client. The project involves dispersing a total amount for a time-phased budget. The user inputs the following: - Total_Budget_Amount (total dollars for the whole budget term) - Number_of_Periods (the number of months for the budget term) - Percent_Budget_Spent (the percent of the total budget spent at Percent_Periods_Passed) - Percent_Periods_Passed (the percent of periods that have passed where the sum of all expenditures for the previously completed periods equals the Percent_Budget_Spent * Total_Budget_Amount) .... Pe...

Copy a page from one Publisher document to 2nd Pub.
I want to copy a page in one Publisher newsletter document to a different Publisher newsletter document. With the page you want to copy opened: Select All, Copy, Paste into different newsletter "stamplover" <stamplover@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ABD7CE1E-7FA2-4611-86D1-2146514432A1@microsoft.com... |I want to copy a page in one Publisher newsletter document to a different | Publisher newsletter document. ...

screenupdating off when excel launched via double-click of file
When I double-click an Excel file, Excel is launched but with screenupdating off. All I see is a gray background under the menu bar. This happens for all Excel files, regardless of whether they have any macros. Does anybody know what causes this behavior? My workarounds: 1. Launch Excel first, then open the file. 2. Launch the VBA editor and set screenupdating to true. These work OK, but I'd really like to solve the problem. I'm running Windows XP sp2 and Excel 2002 sp3. -Jon Hi Jon I suspect an addin, either installed (Tools > Addin menu), "personal.xls" or someth...

[IMP Notice:] Attend Microsoft TechEd 2009 and Get free certificate
Hi Microsoft Enthusiasts, I would like to let you know about Microsoft TechEd event, http://www.msteched.in where Steve Ballmer will deliver the keynote. There will be announcements related to Windows 7, Silverlight 3, Microsoft Surface Computer .etc. Microsoft will also provide free certification to all onsite attendees. What: Microsoft Tech-ed India 2009 Where: Hyderabad When: May 13-15, 2009 Register: msteched.in Just wondering if you could help me out in spreading with words... plz reply. Thanks, On May 4, 9:48=A0am, kavitha <kavitha.dot...@live.com> wrote: > Hi Microsoft Ent...

How do you make superscripts and subscripts in Excel?
How do you make superscripts and subscripts in Excel? Look under format>cells>font Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Mona" wrote: > How do you make superscripts and subscripts in Excel? You may want to look at John Walkenbach's addin: http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/supersub.htm Mona wrote: > > How do you make superscripts and subscripts in Excel? -- Dave Peterson ...