Prevent non-numerical data (e.g. text) from plotting on a chart

I want to chart a series of cells.  Depending on the assumptions, the data
will either be numbers or text.  I only want the chart to plot the numbers.
Currently, the chart keeps plotting the text as zeros.  Is there any way to
prevent the chart from displaying these as zeros (in other words, not plot
them at all)?  Under tools>options>chart the default is not to plot blanks,
but because the cells are not blank, they show as zeros.
0
jaweiss (1)

There is no such option.  You can plot a helper column instead that has
the formula
    =IF(ISNUMBER(dataRange),dataRange,NA())

Jerry

jaweiss wrote:

> I want to chart a series of cells.  Depending on the assumptions, the data
> will either be numbers or text.  I only want the chart to plot the numbers.
> Currently, the chart keeps plotting the text as zeros.  Is there any way to
> prevent the chart from displaying these as zeros (in other words, not plot
> them at all)?  Under tools>options>chart the default is not to plot blanks,
> but because the cells are not blank, they show as zeros.

0
post_a_reply (1395)

Map projection as an Excel chart
Can I download Excel chart based on a map projection? ...

Prevent the sales from Tendering when another Item is Scan at POS
Hello, We have serveral items that our Retail does have price assign to them. The cashier will scan the next item. They will not notice the last item they did not enter a price. Now the 2nd item is the price for the 1st item. Then the cashier will tender out the sales without noticing they have an incorrect total for this transaction. Then the store manager have to performed a post void for this transaction, which hold up the customer awaiting to check out. Have anyone else encounter this and know a way to limited sale from being total out of an acceptable sales amount...

Response Time When retrieving data into an ACCESS form from SQL se
It seems like the slow response time (about 700 records) from SQL Server database, is related to retrieving one record at a time instead of retrieving all records at the same time into recordset for the ACCESS form. This retrieval generates considerably network traffic. What I would like to know is how response time can be improved. Is there a setting in ACCESS to improve the retrieval process or is this something that is related to programming such as an event?? In this case of 700 records the response time is about 4 to 5 minutes. The response time is instantanous for just a few ...

Outlook won't display body of plain text message
New install of Office 2003 basic (Outlook (11.8002.6568) SP2) running on XP home SP2 Outlook is setup for one POP3 account. Any messages received that were composed in HTML are readable. The body of all messages received that were composed in plain text is not displayed. If I turn on autopreview it shows the first few sentences of the plain text message but if I double click the message the reading pane is empty. If I turn the reading pane on and autopreview off the reading pane is empty for plain text messages. If I turn the reading pane and autopreview off and double click the message the ...

Sorting blocks of data or named fields?
Hi I have a sort problem that I have approached from a number of angles and cannot seem to find a solution to, I am using excel xp. I have produced a web query which has returned a list which has a number of "blocks" of information each of which is four columns by four rows with two blank lines between each block. Each "block" has a number of blank spaces within it. I wish to sort the "blocks" of information(Kept together) based upon a value within the "block" I have tried a simple sort and the blocks have been broken up when sorted, I have tried to aloc...

Combo showing non current employee
Hello, I have employees in a table. For a given job sheet form, the employee is selected with a combobox listing all current employees. All fine. If an employee leaves, they are marked as no longer current. My problem is, if an old job record is looked at, the employee is not listed since they are not current. The combo is blank. I have gotten around this prior by editing the rowsource for [all current employees] OR [selected employee]. But this only works in single form. I need it in a continuous form, and not sure whether the best option is to reference the field in ...

Duplicate data on combo box
I have a combo box on a form that is fed from a table where customer info is entered.. name address city state zip... The combo box is for the city field. However, if there is more than one customer from NEW YORK it is showing new york twice instead of once. How can I change that? Thanks "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9DA286B1-1A7A-40D3-849B-9E7634F0B705@microsoft.com... >I have a combo box on a form that is fed from a table where customer info >is > entered.. name address city state zip... The combo box is for the city > f...

Edit Pie Chart Data Label
I am using a pie chart to detail a subset of data and I am having trouble getting the chart to display the data I need. For example: Fruit equals 25% of overall diet. Within fruit I ate: Fruit # Eaten % of Overall Diet Apples 10 10% Oranges 8 8% Pears 7 7% I want to graph fruit consumption in pie chart and add all information to the data label using a link. I get this to work (click on data label and add location of cells), but I can't get it to display properly. I am getting Apples 10 10% but I...

preventing date from changing
I have an If condition that sets the date to "today()" true or "today() + 1" if false. My question is how do I prevent the date from changing? If the date is set for today, then tomorrow I don't want to "update". How can this be done? thanks You could copy the cell, and paste as values, before you close the file. (Edit>Paste Special, Values) Or, you could enter today's date in a cell in the row (Ctrl+; ), then refer to that cell in the formula. For example, instead of: =IF(A2="Local",TODAY(),TODAY()+1) enter: =IF(A2="Local...

unexpected deletion of e-mails
Dear All during last week, I have some reports from my users that their inbox have been empty suddenly and unexpected. I could not find any virus on their systems or any Error in my server. I have an exchange server 2003 and my clients use Microsoft Outlook XP or Microsoft Outlook 2000. I appreciate any guide. Regards M.Hasanabadi On 3 Jul 2006 00:51:43 -0700, hasanabadi@gmail.com wrote: >Dear All >during last week, I have some reports from my users that their inbox >have been empty suddenly and unexpected. I could not find any virus on >their systems or any Error in my server. ...

outlook feature to prevent forgetting attachments
Often people forget to send attachments with emails. Very often they will write something along the lines of "I have attached the minutes from our meeting" and then forget to atcually attach a file. Is there a way therefore that outlook can check the text of an email for words like attach, attached, attachment and query the user before sending if there does not appear to be an attachment? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree"...

how to cell reference a Chart title
I want to reference a cell for chart title so that excel gets it automatically from a cell without typing in Title tab/Chart title box. I tried to use indirect command but it didn't help also I search help for charting in Excel help file but couldn't find anything. Is it possible? TIA, Rasoul Khoshravan, Tabriz, Iran See Dynamic Chart Title http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/dynamic_chart_title/index.html "Rasoul Khoshravan Azar" wrote: > I want to reference a cell for chart title so that excel gets it > automatically from a cell without typing in Title t...

generate a list from a single row of data
Using Excel 97, I have a spreadsheet of Project Reports, arranged across the sheet as follows : Column A thru I are templates, hidden from the Project Managers Column J I want to have a table of project names that are in the worksheet Column K is blank Column L is the labels/descriptions for rows going across the worksheet Rows 4 - 29 Various Dates/contacts etc. Rows 30--53 Month labels for 2 years of resource forecast data Column M, rows 4-29 blank rows 30-53 Project Manager absence (vacation/training) forecasts Column N is a Summary row of Project Managers forecast time for all projects ...

prevent user from deleting a tab prevent running macro from menu
how can one prevent a user from 1. deleting a specific tab in a workbook? 2. prevent a user from running a macro from the tools menu (where user can only run a macro from a command button)? thanks! #1. Protect the workbook's structure. In xl2003 menus: tools|protection|protect workbook|check structure #2. Make the sub private: Sub Testme() becomes Private Sub testme() This will stop the user from seeing that subroutine--but if they know the name, they can still type it and run it. joemeshuggah wrote: > > how can one prevent a user from...

Re: preventing distribution lists from printing
I work for a large corporation and I often get outlook mail with ver long distribution lists. Is there any way to prohibit these lenght list from printing so that I only get the message? Thank - buddy ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted via http://www.mcse.m ----------------------------------------------------------------------- View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message548641.htm ...

Data Source Migration Using MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM
If I want to move one data source (not a whole DPM disk) to another DPM disk using the MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM script, will DPM really not host any new replica/recovery points on the data source's original DPM disk? This page says "the original disk from where the data was migrated is not chosen for hosting any new backups," but I don't see why DPM would do that if you're migrating just one data source and not all data sources on the whole DPM disk: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd282970.aspx I'm asking because I'd like to use Mi...

Rank non Contiguous
Hi Is there any way to have non contiguous range in Rank Currently using =RANK(D6,$D$6:$D$110)+(COUNTIF($D$6:D6,D6)-1) and works well, but do need to remove D93 and D94 from the range. Tried removing the formula from the cells, however, got error, when using vlookup also tried =RANK(D6,$D$6:$D$92,$D$95:$D$110)+(COUNTIF($D$6:D6,D6)-1), but did not work Help appriciated Brian -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/excel-programming/201002/1 Maybe if you deduct this from the total SUMPRODUCT(--(D93:D94>D6)) I haven't ti...

Chart created with a macro changes location according to screen resolution.
I have a macro that creates a chart aligned with a set of cells. I another user runs this macro with a different screen resolution th chart covers a different area of the spreadsheet partially covering th data. Also if the other users have additional or less toolbars, th location of the chart is offset. Is there a way to assign the locatio of a chart to cells and not screen location. Thanks as always -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Use something along the lines of: Sub testIt() With ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(1) .Left = Cells(3, 3).Left .Top = Cells(3...

Macro needed to Paste Values and prevent Macro operation #2
Sub Macro1() ' ' Dim myBk As Workbook Set myBk = Workbooks.Open(Application.GetOpenFilename(, , "Select the File")) Range("To_Database").Copy ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(1).Range("A65536").End(xlUp)(1).Offset(2, 1) myBk.Close False End Sub In the above macro I need to prevent macros operating in the External File when it opens. I also need the Named Range ("To_Database") from the External File to be copied into the file from which this macro operates as PasteValues. At the moment the Formula in the Named Range is coming across, so that I'm ...

data entry excel 2003
when I type a figure to put in a cell the result is the same figres but, 100 times less. For example if I type 2634 I get 26.34. What can I do? Tools/Options/Edit uncheck the Fixed decimal places checkbox. In article <07cc01c3dcfe$7a6e9fe0$a101280a@phx.gbl>, "colin" <c.wright17@ntlworld.com> wrote: > when I type a figure to put in a cell the result is the > same figres but, 100 times less. For example if I type > 2634 I get 26.34. What can I do? ...

Prevent calculation of fields in split view
Hi all! I have following problem: Most of my forms are displayed in split view, within some of them i am doing different calculations, displaying the calculated values in text boxes. Since some of those calculations are quite time-consuming, i dont want Access to calc. the values for _each_ record in the split-view (which it is doing right now). I want it to just calc the values for the record currently viewed, is there any way to do this? best regards, --Michael ...

How to pre setup the cached e-mail name?
If I can just put all my contacts into the cached e-mail name that would be very useful and make my life easier. Does anybody have any idea? Thanks, Tony. I don't have any idea what you mean by the "cached e-mail name." --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Tony" <tonezzz@hotmail.com> wrote in message = news:%23RSZ...

Wrap text problem in Excel 2003
I am having probems with wrap text. The last line, in a ten line entry, won't wrap. Is there anything I can do about this as it is happening on at least five cells Many thanks James Have you tried to manually place the "carriage return" by editing the cell (F2), moving to the appropriate spot and simaltaneously hitting the Alt-Enter keys? or is manual entry not an option in this instance? "jamesp@premiercs.co.uk" wrote: > I am having probems with wrap text. The last line, in a ten line entry, > won't wrap. Is there anything I can do about this ...

consolidate data into one workbook
How can i copy data from a free-form worksheet in several workbooks into a single strict table worksheet Hi Try http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "motq" <motq@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:73013A23-EA51-47ED-A423-96F53AC214AB@microsoft.com... > How can i copy data from a free-form worksheet in several workbooks into a > single strict table worksheet ...

HTML E-mail Blurry
I am attemting to send an HTML e-mail with Publisher 2003. When I preview the e-mail all the text is blurry. I've read previous posts and I do not have the setting (tools, options, web, send as JPEG") checked. Why is the text blurry and what can I do to send a professional looking e-mail. Thanks If you have read all the posts and replies, you should know the best way is to send the attachment as a pdf file. If you don't like the advice, don't be mad at the messenger. Mike TRM wrote: > I am attemting to send an HTML e-mail with Publisher 2003. When I preview the...