possible to chart two sets of data (4 columns) with common X & Y axes?

Is there a way to combine two sets of data with common X & Y axes on a
scatter chart that lets the viewer see that there are two clusters of data
(say with different point types or colors)? Here's an example:

Column 1: Test session
Column 2: Distance traveled under condition 1
Column 3: Travel time under condition 1
Column 4: Distance traveled under condition 2
Column 5: Travel time under condition 2

Columns 2/4 and 3/5 are the Y & X axes respectively. I want to overlay the
raw data so that the clusters that emerge from condition 1 and 2 are easily
seen (different colored dots for conditions 1 or 2 or different point
shapes).

Alternatively. Can I create a "condition" column and place data from column
4 and 5 under 2 and 3 and use the condition column (value of 1 or 2) to
indicate to the chart which dot belongs to which group?

Thanks...todd

0
Todd_MSN (3)

Select the data in columns 2 and 3 and create a XY Scatter chart.

Then, select the data in columns 4 & 5 and drag onto the chart (or
copy, select the chart, and Edit | Paste Special...).  In the resulting
dialog box, specify 'data in columns' and 'First column contains x
values.'

You should have two plotted series in different colors with different
shaped markers.

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <#PRBIjJqDHA.648@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>,
Todd_MSN@NOSPAMmsn.com says...
> Is there a way to combine two sets of data with common X & Y axes on a
> scatter chart that lets the viewer see that there are two clusters of data
> (say with different point types or colors)? Here's an example:
>
> Column 1: Test session
> Column 2: Distance traveled under condition 1
> Column 3: Travel time under condition 1
> Column 4: Distance traveled under condition 2
> Column 5: Travel time under condition 2
>
> Columns 2/4 and 3/5 are the Y & X axes respectively. I want to overlay the
> raw data so that the clusters that emerge from condition 1 and 2 are easily
> seen (different colored dots for conditions 1 or 2 or different point
> shapes).
>
> Alternatively. Can I create a "condition" column and place data from column
> 4 and 5 under 2 and 3 and use the condition column (value of 1 or 2) to
> indicate to the chart which dot belongs to which group?
>
> Thanks...todd

Thank you, Tushar! I'll give it a try...todd

"Tushar Mehta" <tmUnderscore200310@tushar-mehta.SeeOhEm> wrote in message
> Select the data in columns 2 and 3 and create a XY Scatter chart.
>
> Then, select the data in columns 4 & 5 and drag onto the chart (or
> copy, select the chart, and Edit | Paste Special...).  In the resulting
> dialog box, specify 'data in columns' and 'First column contains x
> values.'
>
> You should have two plotted series in different colors with different
> shaped markers.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel
> www.tushar-mehta.com
> Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials
> Custom MS Office productivity solutions
>
> In article <#PRBIjJqDHA.648@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>,
> Todd_MSN@NOSPAMmsn.com says...
> > Is there a way to combine two sets of data with common X & Y axes on a
> > scatter chart that lets the viewer see that there are two clusters of
data
> > (say with different point types or colors)? Here's an example:
> >
> > Column 1: Test session
> > Column 2: Distance traveled under condition 1
> > Column 3: Travel time under condition 1
> > Column 4: Distance traveled under condition 2
> > Column 5: Travel time under condition 2
> >
> > Columns 2/4 and 3/5 are the Y & X axes respectively. I want to overlay
the
> > raw data so that the clusters that emerge from condition 1 and 2 are
easily
> > seen (different colored dots for conditions 1 or 2 or different point
> > shapes).
> >
> > Alternatively. Can I create a "condition" column and place data from
column
> > 4 and 5 under 2 and 3 and use the condition column (value of 1 or 2) to
> > indicate to the chart which dot belongs to which group?
> >
> > Thanks...todd

0
Todd_MSN (3)

setting default fonts
Does anyone know how to set the default font type and size in Publisher 2002 so that all new text boxes use the designated font? Thanks! Visit my website at http://www.mvps.org/publisher and go to the add-ins section and download the default text box add-in. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Office Publisher MVP Official Publisher MVP Site: http://www.kvalheim.org This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "cindy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:036401c3daf7$d5e381a0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone kn...

having trouble creating chart to show monthly totals
Hi I'm using office XP. I keep a single spreadsheet were I record orders received. Its a very simple sheet with one order per row. In col B I place the date the order was received (in the format DD/MM/YY) I'd like to make a chart (pie or column) which displays the total number of orders per month so that I can see at a glance when were busy and quieter periods. I've tried using the wizard but all I ever get is a mess and not what I expect to see at all. I suspect I may need to separate my data by month? But is there a way for Excel to work that out for itself from a sin...

Is it possible

Can I program Excel cells to change colour at a set date?
I want certain cells to change from yellow to green when a date contained within those cells is reached. Excel version 2003 Use a conditional format. For instane you might format as yellow, then set a conditional format based on the formula =TODAY()>=datecell to apply the green color. Jerry sunflowermurray wrote: > I want certain cells to change from yellow to green when a date contained > within those cells is reached. Excel version 2003 ...

Trendline and multiple data series
I have a scattergraph with four data series. Is there a way of inserting a trendline which covers all four series? Thanks in anticpation Create a helper column that combines all the data series ... Jerry Blackcat wrote: > I have a scattergraph with four data series. Is there a way of inserting a > trendline which covers all four series? > > Thanks in anticpation ...

two condition formula
I am trying to count column "a" when a condition is true and then count column "j" when the number is a negative. I have tried =COUNTIF(B9:B23,"=COMP")+COUNTIF(J7:J22,""<0) but I do not get the answer it should be. Column "b is words and column "J is number that are negative so that why I choose <0. Column B will have multiple names and column J is the difference in late days. Hi Linda Try the below =SUMPRODUCT((B9:B23="COMP")*(J9:J23<0)) If you are using XL2007 try help on COUNTIFS() -- Jaco...

Format so first column always appears
I have a wide worksheet and want the first column to always appear as I scroll to the other columns. I would look it up but I can't figure out where to look and under what title. Thanks It's referred to as Freeze Panes. Position your cursor in B1 then click on View | Freeze Panes | Freeze Panes (Excel 2007 or later), or Window | Freeze Panes (Excel 2003 or earlier). Hope this helps. Pete On Aug 20, 1:26=A0am, Gianni <gia...@gianni.com> wrote: > I have a wide worksheet and want > the first column to always appear > as I scroll to the other columns. > > I would...

How do I create a dual axes column chart in Excel
Hi...I am trying to create a dual axes column chart in MS Excel 2003. But the moment I add the secondary axis the bars are getting overlapped. Alok, This example should help: http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/excel/two_column_series_with_two_axes/ -- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "Alok" wrote: > Hi...I am trying to create a dual axes column chart in MS Excel 2003. But the > moment I add the secondary axis the bars are getting overlapped. ...

Personal Folders in OWA

How do I set up Microsoft Outlook?
I am using Outlook for the first time, I have AOL for Broadband as my ISP. When I go into set up, I am totally lost...Help!! You all sound so knowledgable, so please help a beginner. Thanks! http://postmaster.info.aol.com/imap/outlook02.html "hc24fan" <hc24fan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A184A2EC-2FF2-4C99-89B8-96E6F49AD85C@microsoft.com... >I am using Outlook for the first time, I have AOL for Broadband as my ISP. > When I go into set up, I am totally lost...Help!! > > You all sound so knowledgable, so please help a beginner. > > Th...

Data Validation dropdown list
Hello, I am using excel 2007 and am creating a drop down list by selecting "Data Validation" and entering a column I have with different names in it that are repeated over again in no particular order. I need the list to only contain each name once to select from though. Is there any easy way to do this? Thanks, Ben Copy the column of names to another sheet. Advance Filter out duplicates. Name the range of unique items. Use that range name as source in DV list on original sheet. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 13:37:03 -0500, Ben <abc@ef...

Two Questions About Notebook
I plan to use Notebook a lot and have two questions: I added a Note flag and now want to delete the flag. Can't figure out how to do it. Is this possible? Is there a way to quickly add the current date and time to the notebook in different color than the main text (say in Blue)? Thanks for any help! In article <42783340.0407110325.4f49ae4c@posting.google.com>, david@enzel.us (David Enzel) wrote: > I added a Note flag and now want to delete the flag. Can't figure out > how to do it. Is this possible? One way: Click on the Note Flag button in the Note Flags pane o...

change the legend text in a surface chart
I am using a chart type of surface contour. Is there a way to change th text in the legend -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi vacaut, The text in a surface chart legend is related to the Scales Maximum, Minimum and Major values. If you want to display words instead of values then I think the only way would be to add textboxes to the chart and cover the values. vacaut wrote: > I am using a chart type of surface contour. Is there a way to change the > text in the legend? > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ > -- Cheers A...

Macro / Autofilter / Show All Data
Hi, I wrote in the macro ActiveSheet.ShowAllData but if no filtering is set, I get error message. Is it possible to say something like If 'filtered...' Thanks and regards, Cousin Excel The easiest way will be by adding: On Error resume Next as the first command of the macro. Micky "CousinExcel" wrote: > Hi, > > I wrote in the macro > ActiveSheet.ShowAllData > but if no filtering is set, I get error message. > Is it possible to say something like > I...

Help
Greetings All, I'm having a problem creating the type of bar chart for a time line This 'LINK (http://www.mississippi.net/~comcents/tendertale.com/tttl/tttl.html will give you several examples of what I'm talking about. If anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it. I'm currently using Excel 2000. Thanks, Bo -- w5bl ----------------------------------------------------------------------- w5blt's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1620 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27625 Hi, The type of...

Extra line in chart shape text in Visio 2003
When adding text to a chart shape, Visio always adds an extra line on the end. I can go back in and delete it, but it comes back when I click off the shape. I can't find any option setting that governs that action. How can I remove the extra line permanently? Can you be more specific about which shape? Some shapes are defined with the text block containing custom properties. For example, the poistion shape in the OrgChart stencil has a text block that contains two custom properties, one for name and the other for title. If you enter text into the text block, you may see an empty...

Pivot Table- Column 2 sort
How can I sort a Pivot Table by the 2nd (or any other) column? I've selected a cell and hit the A-Z Z-A Sort button, but it only works on column 1. Thanks! Right click on the column and select Field Settings | Advanced to access the sort options... -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "srpd" wrote: > How can I sort a Pivot Table by the 2nd (or any other) column? I've selected > a cell and hit the A-Z Z-A Sort button, but it only works on column 1. > Thanks! Difficult to answer without knowing the structure of your underlying data and what, exactly...

Radar Charting problems, Can I change...
Hi people I have 2 queries relating to Radar charts in Excel (Office XP/2002). Can I change the angle/start position of the first plotted point? I always starts at 12 o'clock but I want it to start at 9 o'clock. I ca re-order the data to achieve this effect but the data, to the viewer is not in a logical sequence if I do that. Then also, can I change the direction of the plotting from clockwise t anti-clockwise? Thanks in advance. Stell -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Stella - You can't do these things (unless someone smarter than me knows how), but you c...

Total or pre calculated column
Hi, My report provides a list of supplied products, these can range from on item to many. I have a control which calculates the amount of product ordered plus a wastage =[Qty]+[Wastage] to give a total quantity for that particular line. I want to have a total of all the lines. In the Order footer I have placed the control =Sum([ProdTotal]) ProdTotal being the name of the above control, however when I view the report it ask for a perameter value. Am I missing something or will the report not calculate from a previously calculated control? Many thanks in advance Cha...

Charts & Hidden Data
Hi, If I hide the row/columns containing the source data of a chart the respective series disappears from the chart. Is there any way to hide chart source data without affecting the chart? Many thanks, Jason In XL2003 (and before) with chart selected: Tools | Options |Chart and uncheck the box "Plot visible cells only" In XL 2007: Follow this path: click the chart; use Chart Tools|Design|Selected Data; look for button labelled "Hidden and Empty Cells"; complete dialog box as needed. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from ema...

Unable to set up Outlook 2002
Outlook is not listed as a program in the Internet Explorer Options. If I select used Outlook as default I still receive the error. I think that I need to set my internet options e-mail program to Outlook which is not listed as a choice. Does anybody know how to fix this?? Thank you ...

Finding data among different excel file
My problem is, I have different xls files. e.g. 001.xls, 002.xls, 003.xls and so on. I know that among these files, there is one information the cell A1 is 17, what I want to do is to find out which xls file's cell A1 contains the data 17. How can I do this? Any help would be appreciated. assumed you have 10 excel files, if you have more than that, change a =3D 1 to desired number .. Run this macro. Sub finder() For a =3D 1 To 10 On Error GoTo Err: Workbooks.Open ("00" & a & ".xls") For x =3D 1 To Worksheets.Count Worksheets(x).Select If Range("a1"...

linking two forms
I have two tables: Table 1 stores the primary key, Protocol#, along with details about the protocol. Table 2 stores additional information that will apply to SOME of hte protocols. It has no primary key, but is linked to table 1 through Protocol#. Problem: Form 1 is where I enter details into Table 1. I'd like to enter information into Table 2 using a separate form (not a subform), Form 2, which I can access from Form 1 using a button. I set the VBA code to open Form 2 as follows: Dim stDocName As String Dim stLinkCriteria As String stDocName = "FRM_2" st...