Possible to add second data label to pie chart?

I am trying to automate a large number of charts.
The problem I am having is adding a second label to a pie chart.  I
have added the name of the slice and its percentage but I'd like to add
an additional lable centered in the slice with its point change from
last year.  I can do this by hand with text boxes but its a real pain.
Is there a way to add a label that changes based on what I put into a
cell?

Here is an example of what I am trying to do.

[image: http://www.bgphc.com/picture/chart-example.gif]

--
jpwolf00
jpwolf00's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23654

You could calculate the value in your worksheet and use Rob Bovey's XY Chart
labeler to plot that label.

http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm

"jpwolf00" wrote:

> I am trying to automate a large number of charts.
> The problem I am having is adding a second label to a pie chart.  I
> have added the name of the slice and its percentage but I'd like to add
> an additional lable centered in the slice with its point change from
> last year.  I can do this by hand with text boxes but its a real pain.
> Is there a way to add a label that changes based on what I put into a
> cell?
>
> Here is an example of what I am trying to do.
>
> [image: http://www.bgphc.com/picture/chart-example.gif]
>

> --
> jpwolf00
> jpwolf00's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23654
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=377743

0
BarbR (262)
6/9/2005 4:43:51 PM
Maybe I am missing something in XY chart labeler.  It allows me to use
different label but it erases my other labels.  Is there a way to hav
both at the same time

--
jpwolf0
jpwolf00's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2365
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=37774

I assume you have labels for different points in the series that may or may
not be SERIES NAME, CATEGORY NAME or VALUE.   It's probably easier to just
have a "series" of data for the labels only if you use the XY Chart labeler

"jpwolf00" wrote:

> Maybe I am missing something in XY chart labeler.  It allows me to use a
> different label but it erases my other labels.  Is there a way to have
> both at the same time?
>

> --
> jpwolf00
> jpwolf00's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23654
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=377743

0
BarbR (262)
6/9/2005 6:31:34 PM
I do have separate tiltles for each series however only one series
appears on a pie chart.  I am guessing because excel can only graph one
series on the pie chart it ignores the extra one.

I need to have two separate labels, one for the name of the pie and its
percentage and another label in the middle of the pie with the change
from last year.

--
jpwolf00
jpwolf00's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23654
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=377743

I do have separate tiltles for each series however only one series
appears on a pie chart.  I am guessing because excel can only graph one
series on the pie chart it ignores the extra one.

I need to have two separate labels, one for the name of the pie and its
percentage and another label in the middle of the pie with the change
from last year.

--
jpwolf00
jpwolf00's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23654
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=377743

You get one data label per plotted point. I think you could use the
first trick in this page of Andy Pope's, and make the pie in front the
same size as the one in back, and use one pie for the outside labels and
the other for the inside labels.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

jpwolf00 wrote:

> I do have separate tiltles for each series however only one series
> appears on a pie chart.  I am guessing because excel can only graph one
> series on the pie chart it ignores the extra one.
>
> I need to have two separate labels, one for the name of the pie and its
> percentage and another label in the middle of the pie with the change
> from last year.

Create the composite label in a worksheet column by concatenating the
data in other cells and the nextline character, CHR(10).  Now, use this
composite label column as the source for Rob Bovey's add-in.

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <jpwolf00.1qdqed_1118354718.8268@excelforum-nospam.com>,
jpwolf00.1qdqed_1118354718.8268@excelforum-nospam.com says...

> I do have separate tiltles for each series however only one series
> appears on a pie chart.  I am guessing because excel can only graph one
> series on the pie chart it ignores the extra one.
>
> I need to have two separate labels, one for the name of the pie and its
> percentage and another label in the middle of the pie with the change
> from last year.
>

> --
> jpwolf00
> jpwolf00's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23654
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=377743

having trouble creating chart to show monthly totals
Hi I'm using office XP. I keep a single spreadsheet were I record orders received. Its a very simple sheet with one order per row. In col B I place the date the order was received (in the format DD/MM/YY) I'd like to make a chart (pie or column) which displays the total number of orders per month so that I can see at a glance when were busy and quieter periods. I've tried using the wizard but all I ever get is a mess and not what I expect to see at all. I suspect I may need to separate my data by month? But is there a way for Excel to work that out for itself from a sin...

Is it possible

Help With the Customer Mailing Labels
Hi guys, For some reason the predefined Customer Mailing Labels report that comes with the system does not work for me. In Manager, I go to Utilities > Crystal Reports. I select my report and I choose the sort field (or none) and choose a criterion (or none) and click on generate. The application stops responding for a while and then I get the "Cannot Open SQL Server" error. Same thing happens for all the other predefined Crystal Reports. I have tried this on other machines as well, and got the same error. The rest of the RMS apps run without a problem, so I know the SQL...

Trendline and multiple data series
I have a scattergraph with four data series. Is there a way of inserting a trendline which covers all four series? Thanks in anticpation Create a helper column that combines all the data series ... Jerry Blackcat wrote: > I have a scattergraph with four data series. Is there a way of inserting a > trendline which covers all four series? > > Thanks in anticpation ...

How do I create a dual axes column chart in Excel
Hi...I am trying to create a dual axes column chart in MS Excel 2003. But the moment I add the secondary axis the bars are getting overlapped. Alok, This example should help: http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/excel/two_column_series_with_two_axes/ -- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "Alok" wrote: > Hi...I am trying to create a dual axes column chart in MS Excel 2003. But the > moment I add the secondary axis the bars are getting overlapped. ...

Personal Folders in OWA

Charts & Hidden Data
Hi, If I hide the row/columns containing the source data of a chart the respective series disappears from the chart. Is there any way to hide chart source data without affecting the chart? Many thanks, Jason In XL2003 (and before) with chart selected: Tools | Options |Chart and uncheck the box "Plot visible cells only" In XL 2007: Follow this path: click the chart; use Chart Tools|Design|Selected Data; look for button labelled "Hidden and Empty Cells"; complete dialog box as needed. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from ema...

Bought a house! How to add into Money?
I just bought my first house a few weeks ago. I have been using money for about a year now to track all my expenses, budget, investments, etc. and have found it very useful. However, i am wondering what is the best way to add a mortgage into money so i can track what i have paid? Should i just do it as an normal expense and maybe just break down the payment into subcategories (insurance, taxes, mortgage) or is there an actual better way to do this? Thanks! I would suggst that you create an asset account for the house and a loan account for the mortgage. Then create a payment in the bil...

Help to add email account
I am unable to add my AOL email account to Outlook. Does anyone know the addresses or how to do that? ...

Excel 2007
Dear group, We have some engineers that have fairly intesive graphs with tons of data points on them. When we open the Excel 2003 graph with Excel 2007 and try to print the graph there is no data line or curve. Our axis' and titles show up, even our 2 pt colored vertical lines appear. Now, when we take all the data from this 2003 excel sheet and create a new 2007 sheet and create the graph from the data it prints fine. Also the 2003 graph will print frin ewhen opened from excel 2003. We've tried the convert tool in 2007 when opening a 2003 workbook and still no graph. We have a multit...

How can I automatically enter repeating data from one table to ano
Hi I am a novice so if you can help please do. I have set up a database and have a range of tables established for each of my categories and they seem to be working well. How do I get the database to automatically fill in repeating data (ie names) from one table to the next so I don't have to keep retyping? Hope this makes sense. Please help in simple English. Here's hoping!!! Sally In a properly designed relational database system, you shouldn't have the same data in multiple tables. You may want to read up on Database Normalization. Jeff Conrad has some goo...

Problems with backupexec 10d second storage group info. store restoration.
We have three mail box mailbox groups, we backup the information stores using backup exec 10d I have confirmed that mailbox permissions are the same for all three. But the problems is that when I try to restore using the recovery storage group I am successful using backup exec for the first storage group but it does not work for the second or third. I have dismounted the first storage group and deleted the files and have added the second storage group to the recovery storage group but I get the below error. The error from backup exec is: Final error: 0xe000ff00 - Unable to restore some Mi...

Add text to formula?
I have this formula kindly given to me in one of these Excel ngs: =COUNTIF(E:E,"You Won!*")&":"&COUNTIF(E:E,"You Lost*") The challenge is that any custom text I add to the cell formatting doesn't show up in the cell. Would it be possible to add something like this text below to the above (but also including line breaks)?: **************************************************************** Score --------- You:Computer = Formula result of: =COUNTIF(E:E,"You Won!*")&":"&COUNTIF(E:E,"You Lost*") *********************...

Editing XML data relation line
I am working on a program where I am retrieving data from an Access database through one common dataset. I have already put the database connection component on the form as well as the two data adapters. Here is where I am having problems. I double click on the .xsd file and then go to the schema menu and select add|new relationship. My table names are Employee and Payroll. Employee ID is a primary key in the Employee table and a foreign key in the Payroll table. I need to define a DataRelation link with Employee ID. The problem is that when the parent table is set to Employee and the ch...

Missing Data in Spreadsheet Contained in a Disk Image
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I used Migration Assistant to copy all my applications and files to my new iMac i7. When I attempt to open a vital password protected Disk Image, the .dmg opens OK but the Excel file contained within doesn't have any data in it. Taking a copy of the .dmg from a backup disk results in the same thing. <br><br> What's really peculiar 'though is that if I right click the file before actually opening it, using Quick Look, it shows all the data is there. But the file still won't open the Ex...

Trying to add or save a record.
I tried this awhile back and gave up. Trying again. I made a form with two tables, customers & calls. When I enter the phone number from the customers table that exists it populates the form the way I want it and I can save the form or add a new record and I think it is saving it in the calls table. If I enter a phone that doesn't exist and try to exit or enter a new record, I get the following. The microsoft jet database engine cannot find a record in the table 'customer' with key matching field(s) 'Phone#'. What I am trying to do is save the form even though ...

Wanting to not add a blank element to the XML
I'm serializing a class and some of the elements end up with blank results. This is fine. When I serialize the class the elements show up in the resulting XML as something like <SigningLicence/> If it's blank how can I prevent this element from getting into the XML completely . It is optional according to the schema but fails on validation when it's in there in this form. Jamie Hi Jamie, Could you post some code of your class and the serialization code, so that we can try to make a repro on this issue? Kevin Yu ======= "This posting is provided "AS I...

Add multiple domains to spam deny list and real time sbl
Hi, What file can I open in Exchange 2003 to add a list of domains I want to prevent from sending spam, so that I do not have to add each one individualy. Also, how do you set up Exchange 2003 to check the sbl.spamhaus.org real time listing. They list the sites to block and say you can connect to them for free. Can anyone please help? ...

Export Access Data Project Queries to old Access .mdb file
I want to copy Access Data Project queries from a project into a new .mdb file. What is the best way to do this? In the new .mdb go to the menu bar, click file, Get external data, and Import. Select the orignal .mdb file and then the items. >-----Original Message----- >I want to copy Access Data Project queries from a project into a new .mdb >file. What is the best way to do this? >. > ...

Data Consolidation
Hi Team, Any idea about the Data consolidation in excel . I have multiple excel sheets and want to consolidate it without losing the data. other than RDB data merge . Thank you, Shivaprasad hi Shivaprasad, If those files have all the same schema, you can do it with a VBA macro using mso. -- isabelle Le 2011-10-20 21:47, shivaprasad . shetty a �crit : > Hi Team, > > Any idea about the Data consolidation in excel . I have multiple excel > sheets and want to consolidate it without losing the data. other than > RDB data merge . > > Thank you, > Shivaprasad ...

sizing pie chart category data label
I would appreciate advice on re-sizing pie chart category data labels. When I click on the label, I get a box around the text, just like other microsoft applications, but when I click and drag on the points, the text label box does not re-size...it stays the same size. Any suggestions? Thank you. I think it auto-adjusts to suit the font-size and text that you have in there. Try right-clicking on the label, then you usually have access to other features. Hope this helps. Pete On Mar 9, 4:41 pm, susanh...@ou.edu wrote: > I would appreciate advice on re-sizing pie chart category data labe...