plotting blanks as zero

I only have data up through today, but the chart
shows the lines diving to 0 tomorrow and forward.

My graph is plotting blanks as 0, instead of leaving a gap.

I followed the help to
Tools|Options|Chart|Plot Empty Cell As
and set it to Not.  But it has no effect.

This is a Line Chart with markers.
All the sub-types give the same effect.

I thought at first that the chart options we defaults and
only applied to new charts, but no, the option is only
available for existing selected charts.

Thanks,
Brad.

0
Brad

"Brad White" <bwhite at inebraska . com> wrote in message
> I only have data up through today, but the chart
> shows the lines diving to 0 tomorrow and forward.

Forgot to say, this is Excel 2003.

0
Brad
6/23/2004 8:14:25 PM
Are the cells really blank, or do they contain a formula that returns an empty string? If it's a formula, use NA() instead of "", e.g.:

   =IF(A1="",NA(),A1)

To hide the resulting #N/A errors on the worksheet, you can use conditional formatting. There are instructions on my web site:

   http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat03.html#Errors

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

"Brad White" wrote:

> I only have data up through today, but the chart
> shows the lines diving to 0 tomorrow and forward.
>
> My graph is plotting blanks as 0, instead of leaving a gap.
>
> I followed the help to
> Tools|Options|Chart|Plot Empty Cell As
> and set it to Not.  But it has no effect.
>
> This is a Line Chart with markers.
> All the sub-types give the same effect.
>
> I thought at first that the chart options we defaults and
> only applied to new charts, but no, the option is only
> available for existing selected charts.
>
> Thanks,
> Brad.

0
dsd1 (5911)

How do you serialize a blank value in XML to GP using eConnect?
Hi, I'm trying to save a customer address with a blank ADDRESS2 field to our Great Plains database using eConnect 10 for GP 10. ADDRESS2 has a value in the database, but the user wants to set it to blank (delete it). I update the object, then serialize it, and pass it eConnect. The problem is that the XmlSerializer class serializes only non-empty fields in the eConnect.Serialization.taCreateCustomerAddress_ItemsTaCreateCustomerAddress object to XML. And fields not present in the XML are not overwritten in the database (explained here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb625...

Creating Waterfall Plots In Excel
Firstly apologies if I have allready posted this but I experienced problems just after hitting post and now cannot locate my message in the group. Anyway my question is this... Does anyone know of a method for producing waterfall plots using Excel. By this I mean creating a graph with three axis. An x, y and z. I am wanting to plot temperature against Engine Speed and torque. Ideally I would like torque along my x axis temperature as y with the engine speeds along the z axis. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Andrew Check out http://tushar-mehta.com derek >-----Original Message...

insert zeros in front of cells already filled with data.
If there is data is a column of cells in Excel how do I insert/add additional data (000) in front of each cell? Two ways. If all cells should be the same length, like a check number or an account number, it's called "leading zeroes": http://www.officearticles.com/excel/show_leading_zeroes_in_microsoft_excel.htm If you just want to put 3 zeroes in front of other text, you can use another column to create a formula: ="000"&a1 will give you the contents of A1 preceded by 3 zeroes. ************ Hope it helps! Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Horizon" <...

Delete blank rows using the following macro?
I've been searching on how to remove blank rows and have come up with a couple of solutions. Back on August 21, JulieD posted the following answer to the thread, Delete all blank rows in sheet? Highlight a column....Edit>Go To>Special>Blanks>OK. Delete>Entire Row. it will work, but you must highlight a COLUMN not a ROW This process works fine for a manual process, but I was hoping for something more automated. On 09/23, Frank posted this response to the thread Removing blank rows? http://www.cpearson.com/excel/deleting.htm#DeleteBlankRows This seemed like what I w...

I can copy names from address book to email blank, but not copies
-I open my address book. I hi-light a name and click on "Send email to." The name appears in the "TO" line of the email. Fine. But starting a couple of days ago, when I tried to go back to the address book to copy the email to other people, I was barred from clicking on the address book. I must have done something to cause this but how do I undo it? Your description is very vague and doesn't even sound like Outlook. Clarify it. Specify your Outlook version. The address book is not intended as the interface for starting new messages. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outl...

Budgeted Item Shows Zero Amount When Tied to a Bill that reoccurs.
This applies to Microsoft Money 2004 Standard OEM Version 12.0 Update 1 I noticed in my budget report it shows that I have a monthly budget for Automobile: Automobile Insurance of $0.00. However, if you click edit budget on the common task page and then click next. Then you arrive at the "Enter Your Expenses" page. I have a budget group called Automobile. If you drill down and expand Automobile it looks like this: Automobile: Automobile Insurance ( red arrow) Safeco Insurance Monthly126.50 Other Expens...

Excel2007 -- Precisely set plot area size?
I've searched books, Microsoft Help, and this board to find out how to precisely resize the plot (not the chart) area and cannot find any information. When I select the plot area, and change its size by entering heigth & width values in the Size and Properties dialog box (Chart Tools Format tab --> Size group) the chart area size also changes. I do not want the chart area to change. How can I set values for the plot area and for the chart area independently of each other? Thanks to anyone who can help! Hi, There is no, or has ever been, a UI which will allow you to spec...

TODAY() and NOW() being reflected as zero
The formulas TODAY() and NOW() are being reflected as ZERO when I enter them in a separate cell today. I'm betting it's related to a recent update, but am wondering if others have seen it as well. Thanks, Barb Reinhardt Hi Barb, the results described seem very unusual. How did you use the function? "Barb Reinhardt" <BarbReinhardt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AB6542A2-DC08-419D-B80E-71141D9BD1B5@microsoft.com... > The formulas TODAY() and NOW() are being reflected as ZERO when I enter > them > in a separate cell...

Auto Filter out text or blank rows
What would I put into an autofilter parameter to show only rows which begin with text or are blank? Autofilter only works when there is data in continuous rows. If you have an entirely blank row, Autofilter will not work the way you want. The way I've gotten around this is to add a column and put in a row number or some other data for ALL THE ROWS that I want to review. I'll then use the autofilter to find the cells that are blank. "D Hafer - TFE" wrote: > What would I put into an autofilter parameter to show only rows which begin > with text or are b...

how do I generate a blank cell when I paste link; comes up
I'm trying to make a template for invoice / bill of lading where data is linked from an input worksheet and linked to a form worksheet. When I link blank cells, the results are - or 0. I would like the cells on the form to be blank if empty on the template. Hi Mitch Give us an example of your formula and we will probably be able to expand it for you. Michael -- Michael Mitchelson "MitchP" wrote: > I'm trying to make a template for invoice / bill of lading where data is > linked from an input worksheet and linked to a form worksheet. When I link > blank...

Excel file saved as csv
I have an excel file that I save in a csv format. There are some columns that have numbers in them with zeros as the first numbers that have to remain (i.e. 001234). The zeros are in the excel file with whatever cell format I use, but when I save it as a csv and then bring up the csv file, the zeros are dropped. Any ideas? Hi, Kathy; That only happens when you open the .csv with Excel. Open with notepad, and you will see the leading zeros. I assume you are saving in .csv format so you can use that data in some other program. Do the zeros show up in that program? Regards, Ian. "...

Plotting tabular data in an Excel graph?
I have some data in tabular form in an Excel spreadsheet - columns are the years (7 so far) and 12 rows represent the months. Is there any way I can plot the data in a linear graph, with time as the x-axis, direct from the table as it stands? If not, presumably I must go through an intermediate step to put the data all in one column or row first? Thanks, V PS I think I know the answer to this question - no! However, one of the delights of using this forum is that so often it turns out that someone, somewhere, has invented an ingenious solution for doing what one previously thought wa...

Trying to find the fourth blank cell in a column
Hello I'm trying to find th fourth blank cell in a column and select a range based on it. Should be simple but for some reason I can't makeit work. Anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'd be most grateful. For background, I have some data followed by two blank cells, followed by more data, folowed by a blank cell, followed by more data followed by another blank cell, followed by more data followed by blank cells to the end. It's the start of these final blanks I'm trying to find programatically. Problem is that after firstqun,the rest of the variables show as ...

Maintain Aspect Ratio of 2D Plot on Different Monitors ??
(I'm trying here the Adv Opt Cross post for the 1st time) Hello; There's a good chance that some might have already posted this question (including myself!), but I couldn't find any related threads in this forum directly addressing the problem. Suppose you've a 2D chart displaying the fuselage of an airplane nicely proportional on the Full Screen of your desktop monitor. You copy the w/b to your laptop and the display is completely out of proportion because of the different aspect ratio of the screen. Q1: Instead of Full Screen display, would a Custom View help in maint...

how to keep leading zeroes when saving in xls in csv format
I have a column in the excel sheet that is of the in this format-> 00001234, But when I am saving it in the CSV format it does not show the leading zeroes for some reason. Can anyone please tell me if there is a way to keep those leading zeroes. Thank you I just tried this, using a decimal point (.00001234), and it worked. You will need to select "Yes" when it asks about formatting, when saving as a csv. "Joe" wrote: > I have a column in the excel sheet that is of the in this format-> 00001234, > But when I am saving it in the CSV format it does not sho...

Plotting a Graph as S-Curve
Hello All I am new to charting and graphs in excel - not very good at excel fullstop. However I need to create something called a S-curve graph. I have looked in the help but can't find anything that meets my requirements. Basically need to monitor man power in a project plan. The curve needs to increase at the beginning, then level out as a straight line for a while and then start to dip, based on the data entered. The information is in 3 different columns. Is this possible. I would have attached the file but there is no option on this web site for attachments. Please help...

word page view: can't resize window + blank at bottom
I fairly often get glitches when viewing Word doc's in page view mode. What is most irritating is that I am not allowed to resize the window; plus, there is a little blank rectangle at bottom that takes up ~1/5 of the page. When this happens, pagination is not shown at bottom as well. Any recommendations on whether I should e.g. trash certain files and retry? (I trashed prefs, to little avail.) It also seems to be related to specific doc's emailed to me, generally from Windows machines, but not exclusively so. Thanks, Jim P. Really, haven't a clue. This sounds very unfamili...

RE: Plotting more than one series of data on a x-y chart
I am looking for assistance to plot two data sets on same map, date of measurement on x and two sets of elevation data on y, how do I plot both of these, I selected to plot both data sets and when I went from step 3 to step 4 and went to change y axis to better show data, data went off plt, both data are in same range and are within 0.5 numerical value of each other Any assistance would be appreciated lhensel@mcemichigan.com Linda - Arrange your data with X in the first column, and the two Ys in the next two columns. Select the data and make your chart. Excel should use the first c...

Copy contents of one cell into another if cell is blank
How do I copy the contents of cell B2 into cell D2 if D2 is empty Select Cell B2, Edit > Copy, select cell D2, Edit > Paste Special > Values > OK -- Ryan--- If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''. "fire9990" wrote: > How do I copy the contents of cell B2 into cell D2 if D2 is empty Copy/paste manually. Or run a macro. Sub qwert() With ActiveSheet.Range("D2") If .Value = "" Then .Value = Range("B2").Value End If End With End ...

Not showing Data points with Zero value
Dear experts, I am trying to graph (pie chart) data and some of the data points have a zero value. I do not want those to show in pie chart. Is there any way to have a zero supression in the pie charts? Thanks in advance. Neal Neal - That narrow a wedge is probably not visible <g>. You can suppress the labels with a custom number format. Double click the labels and click on the Number tab. Click on Custom, and add two semicolons after the format (General or 0.00% or whatever). This doesn't work if you're using labels plus percentages for the data labels. - Jon ...

vertical area plots
Does someone know if it is possible to create vertical area plots with Excel? Thanks, Can we have an explanation of what is needed? -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Han" <Han@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DC3BDABE-682F-4D9A-A426-E871929BA4AF@microsoft.com... > Does someone know if it is possible to create vertical area plots with > Excel? > Thanks, Han - Two years ago I answered a similar question. It's not possible to do within the normal Excel charting framework, but you can fake it by drawi...

Help! Blank rows??
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I create many data tables in MS Excel for Mac 2008 files which I share with my co-workers. I specifically save the Mac Excel files as windows comma delimited files (.csv) and email to them. When my co-workers open the .csv In Windows Excel 2007 the file shows inserted blank rows between each and every row of data that's in the worksheet. Why does the conversion from Mac Excel to Windows Excel 2007 do this? How do I correct this? Well, I've tried several different methods of getting a Windows .csv ...

Update a cell contents otherwise show blank
I'm trying to update a cell on another worksheet from data inputted int sheet1. Problem is, if the cell that I need to update from is empty, the secon sheet shows a "0". I want it show nothing if the cell on first sheet i empty. The nearest I can get to is this entry that I insert into the cell t be updated. Works to the point that if the source cell is empty, bu fails if the source cell contains data. =IF('sheet1'!A11>0,='sheet1'!A11,"") Can anyone help me with this please. Go easy, my excel experience i limited! Thanks in advance. N -- Message...

SFO doesn't work after installed. [Home] is blank.
After installed SFO, it doesn't sync with server, when I check the propotity->home, it shows blank. I copy my colleague's URL, which is http://localhost:2525/..... but it still doesn't work; I uninstall/reinstall, but it still doesn't work. Any ideas? Cheers, Jim Hi Have you uninstalled /reinstall the local database as well? Remember to delete the database files before you reinstall. Jacob Mondrup IT Manager, Cultivator Denmark. "CEO" <ceo_uk@msn.com> skrev i en meddelelse news:636D08B7-3814-4F59-AD36-3A98712519B9@microsoft.com... > After instal...