Placing bubbles

I would like to place bubbles on the 2D places (x,y) with different radius. 
The coordinates are the (column, row) an´d the rtadius the value in the cell 
(column, row). For example the value 0.25 in the cell (2,5) means, that a 
bubble with radius 0.25 placed on the 2D coordinate system at the location 
x=2, y=5.

How to do it ? The bubble chart places the bubbles on the location (column, 
radius).

Thanks in advance, Laszlo
0
laszlo (6)
3/25/2005 10:21:02 PM
excel.charting 18370 articles. 0 followers. Follow

5 Replies
686 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 12

I'm probably not understanding but I'll take a shot . . . assuming the bubble 
chart is similar to an XY Scatter chart, wouldn't you set your data up like 
this:

x	y	size
2	5	0.25
4	6	0.46
6	8	0.68
9	6	0.96

The coordinates as you've presented them looked like they might be swapped.  
Can you post back with an example similar to that above of how your data is 
set up? 

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"laszlo" wrote:

> I would like to place bubbles on the 2D places (x,y) with different radius. 
> The coordinates are the (column, row) an´d the rtadius the value in the cell 
> (column, row). For example the value 0.25 in the cell (2,5) means, that a 
> bubble with radius 0.25 placed on the 2D coordinate system at the location 
> x=2, y=5.
> 
> How to do it ? The bubble chart places the bubbles on the location (column, 
> radius).
> 
> Thanks in advance, Laszlo
0
3/26/2005 11:09:01 AM
Dear John,

thanks a lot for your fast answer ! 

If I translate my date to your example, it will work, as desired.

But my data are placed as follows (I'll use your example):

I have a range of 10 rows / 10 columns: A1:J10. The cell A10 represents the 
coordinates (X=1;Y=1); the cell B10 represents the coordinates (X=2;Y=1), the 
cell A9 represents the coordinates (X=1, Y=2) and so on.  For example the 
cell C6 represents the coordinates (X=3;Y=5).

Back to your example:

B6 = 0.25
D5 = 0.46
F3 = 0.68
I5 = 0.96

Is there any symple way (e.g. without transforming my 10 X 10 range into the 
proposed 3 x 100 range) to create the desired chart ?

Thank you in advance,

Laszlo

"John Mansfield" wrote:

> I'm probably not understanding but I'll take a shot . . . assuming the bubble 
> chart is similar to an XY Scatter chart, wouldn't you set your data up like 
> this:
> 
> x	y	size
> 2	5	0.25
> 4	6	0.46
> 6	8	0.68
> 9	6	0.96
> 
> The coordinates as you've presented them looked like they might be swapped.  
> Can you post back with an example similar to that above of how your data is 
> set up? 
> 
> ----
> Regards,
> John Mansfield
> http://www.pdbook.com
> 
> "laszlo" wrote:
> 
> > I would like to place bubbles on the 2D places (x,y) with different radius. 
> > The coordinates are the (column, row) an´d the rtadius the value in the cell 
> > (column, row). For example the value 0.25 in the cell (2,5) means, that a 
> > bubble with radius 0.25 placed on the 2D coordinate system at the location 
> > x=2, y=5.
> > 
> > How to do it ? The bubble chart places the bubbles on the location (column, 
> > radius).
> > 
> > Thanks in advance, Laszlo
0
laszlo (6)
3/26/2005 1:03:02 PM
Laszlo -

Why not just rearrange rearrange your data? Any charting requires that 
the data be appropriately set up in the first place.

In another sheet, set up a new range. Put X, Y, and Size into A1:C1. In 
A2 enter this formula:

=INT((ROW()+8)/10)

In B2 enter this formula:

=MOD(ROW()-2,10)+1

In C2 enter this formula

=INDEX(Sheet1!$A$1:$J$10,11-A2,B2)

where Sheet1 is the sheet with your original data. Fill this down to row 
101, and use this range for your bubble chart.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

laszlo wrote:

> Dear John,
> 
> thanks a lot for your fast answer ! 
> 
> If I translate my date to your example, it will work, as desired.
> 
> But my data are placed as follows (I'll use your example):
> 
> I have a range of 10 rows / 10 columns: A1:J10. The cell A10 represents the 
> coordinates (X=1;Y=1); the cell B10 represents the coordinates (X=2;Y=1), the 
> cell A9 represents the coordinates (X=1, Y=2) and so on.  For example the 
> cell C6 represents the coordinates (X=3;Y=5).
> 
> Back to your example:
> 
> B6 = 0.25
> D5 = 0.46
> F3 = 0.68
> I5 = 0.96
> 
> Is there any symple way (e.g. without transforming my 10 X 10 range into the 
> proposed 3 x 100 range) to create the desired chart ?
> 
> Thank you in advance,
> 
> Laszlo
> 
> "John Mansfield" wrote:
> 
> 
>>I'm probably not understanding but I'll take a shot . . . assuming the bubble 
>>chart is similar to an XY Scatter chart, wouldn't you set your data up like 
>>this:
>>
>>x	y	size
>>2	5	0.25
>>4	6	0.46
>>6	8	0.68
>>9	6	0.96
>>
>>The coordinates as you've presented them looked like they might be swapped.  
>>Can you post back with an example similar to that above of how your data is 
>>set up? 
>>
>>----
>>Regards,
>>John Mansfield
>>http://www.pdbook.com
>>
>>"laszlo" wrote:
>>
>>
>>>I would like to place bubbles on the 2D places (x,y) with different radius. 
>>>The coordinates are the (column, row) an´d the rtadius the value in the cell 
>>>(column, row). For example the value 0.25 in the cell (2,5) means, that a 
>>>bubble with radius 0.25 placed on the 2D coordinate system at the location 
>>>x=2, y=5.
>>>
>>>How to do it ? The bubble chart places the bubbles on the location (column, 
>>>radius).
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance, Laszlo
0
3/26/2005 5:21:07 PM
Hi Jon,

thanks for explanation and for transforming proposal. If there is the only 
way, I will reaarrange every time my area (the dimension is variable - today 
10 x 10, tommorrow perhaps 15 x 15).

Thank you for your response and for your help.

Warm regards,
Laszlo

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Laszlo -
> 
> Why not just rearrange rearrange your data? Any charting requires that 
> the data be appropriately set up in the first place.
> 
> In another sheet, set up a new range. Put X, Y, and Size into A1:C1. In 
> A2 enter this formula:
> 
> =INT((ROW()+8)/10)
> 
> In B2 enter this formula:
> 
> =MOD(ROW()-2,10)+1
> 
> In C2 enter this formula
> 
> =INDEX(Sheet1!$A$1:$J$10,11-A2,B2)
> 
> where Sheet1 is the sheet with your original data. Fill this down to row 
> 101, and use this range for your bubble chart.
> 
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
> 
> laszlo wrote:
> 
> > Dear John,
> > 
> > thanks a lot for your fast answer ! 
> > 
> > If I translate my date to your example, it will work, as desired.
> > 
> > But my data are placed as follows (I'll use your example):
> > 
> > I have a range of 10 rows / 10 columns: A1:J10. The cell A10 represents the 
> > coordinates (X=1;Y=1); the cell B10 represents the coordinates (X=2;Y=1), the 
> > cell A9 represents the coordinates (X=1, Y=2) and so on.  For example the 
> > cell C6 represents the coordinates (X=3;Y=5).
> > 
> > Back to your example:
> > 
> > B6 = 0.25
> > D5 = 0.46
> > F3 = 0.68
> > I5 = 0.96
> > 
> > Is there any symple way (e.g. without transforming my 10 X 10 range into the 
> > proposed 3 x 100 range) to create the desired chart ?
> > 
> > Thank you in advance,
> > 
> > Laszlo
> > 
> > "John Mansfield" wrote:
> > 
> > 
> >>I'm probably not understanding but I'll take a shot . . . assuming the bubble 
> >>chart is similar to an XY Scatter chart, wouldn't you set your data up like 
> >>this:
> >>
> >>x	y	size
> >>2	5	0.25
> >>4	6	0.46
> >>6	8	0.68
> >>9	6	0.96
> >>
> >>The coordinates as you've presented them looked like they might be swapped.  
> >>Can you post back with an example similar to that above of how your data is 
> >>set up? 
> >>
> >>----
> >>Regards,
> >>John Mansfield
> >>http://www.pdbook.com
> >>
> >>"laszlo" wrote:
> >>
> >>
> >>>I would like to place bubbles on the 2D places (x,y) with different radius. 
> >>>The coordinates are the (column, row) an´d the rtadius the value in the cell 
> >>>(column, row). For example the value 0.25 in the cell (2,5) means, that a 
> >>>bubble with radius 0.25 placed on the 2D coordinate system at the location 
> >>>x=2, y=5.
> >>>
> >>>How to do it ? The bubble chart places the bubbles on the location (column, 
> >>>radius).
> >>>
> >>>Thanks in advance, Laszlo
> 
0
laszlo (6)
3/26/2005 9:55:03 PM
hi laszlo

i understood your problem because i have the same problem!
i just posted it.
i don�t want to rearrange the table too since i want to have the value
in it getting the bubbles in it too.
did u find a solution in the meantime??

thanks
hayda

--
Hayda
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Haydar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2604
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=35764

0
8/8/2005 3:25:59 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Placing bubbles
I would like to place bubbles on the 2D places (x,y) with different radius. The coordinates are the (column, row) an´d the rtadius the value in the cell (column, row). For example the value 0.25 in the cell (2,5) means, that a bubble with radius 0.25 placed on the 2D coordinate system at the location x=2, y=5. How to do it ? The bubble chart places the bubbles on the location (column, radius). Thanks in advance, Laszlo I'm probably not understanding but I'll take a shot . . . assuming the bubble chart is similar to an XY Scatter chart, wouldn't you set your data up li...

Shortcuts placed on desktop
Every time I close Money 2004 I have 2 new shortcuts for some bank on my desktop. Does anyone know how to turn this off? -- JollyRoger In microsoft.public.money, JollyRoger wrote: >Every time I close Money 2004 I have 2 new shortcuts for some bank on my >desktop. Does anyone know how to turn this off? Tools->Options->General->TurnOffSponsorshipsAndShoppingLinks. Thanks for the help. -- JollyRoger "Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote: > In microsoft.public.money, JollyRoger wrote: > > >Every time I close Money 2004 I have 2 new shortcuts for some bank on ...

Place Templates
Well,. I. ...

Truncating decimal places
When I export a file (from Access or Excel) with a decimal value (in this case Lat. and Lon. values) to a text file, it truncates the decimals to two places. How do I stop this? It works fine if I export as text values. The decimal places are probably there, just not displayed. Select the cells and either click on the icon on the toolbar to increase the decimal places or change the formatting - Format | Cells... | Number tab | Number and increase the Decimal places. Regards Trevor "Greymane" <greymane21@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:7b5501c402f6$140f8bb0$a501280a@...

Excel-cannot view info placed in cells
I built a spreadsheet, filled in the cells and saved the document. Now in trying to reopen it to add more info, I find that the spreadsheet does not show up at all when opened. Just gone. Thanks for any help. I have never had this issue before. Liz Liz: Do you mean you just have the "gray" area? If so, try opening and hit Window-->Arrange, and just hit OK. ************ Hope it helps! Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "crayon" <crayon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A98FD557-6417-407A-B5A5-B47F4141C7A7@microsoft.com... >I built a spreadshe...

Great Plains should allow more decimal places for finance charges
We are currently using Great Plains v. 8.00. Our intent was to charge a 5% annual interest rate for our finance charges; but, because Great Plains will only allow 2 decimal places for the monthly rate, we are charging a monthly rate of .41%, which equates to an annual rate of 4.92%, rather than being able to use a monthly rate of .41666666666666% (or something similar), which would allow us to get to the desired annual rate of 5%. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click t...

place cards
I want to create place cards for an upcoming event. Where are they in the wizards? ...

signature to be placed at BOTTOM of the email
hi all I have one netscape 7.1 user, he have configure the signature when reply back the sender the signature is inserted at bottom of the quote how do we do it at MS Outlook 2003? In other words, it means, when he reply more than one time on the same email, ALL the signature is appear at the BOTTOM of the email thanks Version of Outlook is? You could insert the signature manually via Quick Parts or Auto text depending on the Outlook version and if Word is used as the editor. "gbkhor" <gbkhor@time.net.my> wrote in message news:OUpyBEqfIHA.536@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl.....

My Network Places
For some reason, when I click on Start | Run | Browse, My Network Places is not one of the options to Browse. My Network Places is on the desktop and works normally. The options available are My Recent Documents, Desktop, My Documents, and My Computer. It's a fresh build of XP on this machine, so I've probably forgotten to configure something. msnews.microsoft.com wrote: > For some reason, when I click on Start | Run | Browse, My Network > Places is not one of the options to Browse. My Network Places is on > the desktop and works normally. The options available ar...

Place to put program
Howdy, I would like to know if there is a place one can put their program so someone might be able to tell you what needs to make the program better. I guess what I am talking about is a place where an Access programmer can tell me what I need to do to make it better or not. Dbulk a.k.a. Dale If you first compact it, then zip it. You can email it to: newsgroup at accessmvp dot com I'll post it to the AccessMVP website and anyone who wishes will be able to download it. Keep in mind that this is a public website and I have no control over whomever downloads it, so be...

What is this place?
I am new to using Windows Vista...and have apparently discovered a new function..What exactly is Microsoft Communities? ...

IF
Good morning, My brain is in drain mode today, so I am asking for your expert help. Spreadsheet : Column F contains dates in each row - dates vary from any date in 2009 to any date in 2011. Column U ~ BO Header row contains dates to the first of each month ( U = 09/11, W = 09/12, X = 1/10 ) formated to show m/y. I have played with the IF - statement, but I'm not getting what I need. I would like to have the cell under each m/y to place that date in, IF it falls within that month/year... or IF it falls between the m/y of the column to the left and the column to the right - ...

Bubble chart #5
Hi How can i have a bubble chart with the following data. I dont not like the idea of having to to add one item at a times as it is too time consuming. How can i do a faster way. Product Price Sales Other A 1255536 621 2022 B 1092000 675 1617 C 1038560 463 2243 D 1005616 835 1204 E 834600 546 1528 F 798000 578 1381 G 792000 637 1244 H 758384 571 1328 I 693880 517 1342 J 689508 508 1358 Make your chart with the Price, Sales, and Other columns (I assume you want X=Price, Y=Sales, Bubble Size = Other), then use one of these labeling utilities to apply the labels in...

RichTextBox saves files in wrong place
I have a small app that contains a RichTextBox which will save its contents to the apps folder and load it whenever the RTB opens again - at least that is what is supposed to happen and in fact used to happen. here is the RTB window load event. It either gets the previously stored save directory if it exists else the current dir. private void TextBoxForm_Load(object sender, EventArgs e) { if (Properties.Settings.Default.settingsSaveDirectory.Length != 0) _saveDirectory = Properties.Settings.Default.settingsSaveDirectory; else { Properties.Settings.Default.settings...

Order not yet placed
My stores perform inter-store transfers all the time. Often, the sending store does not click on "Order has been placed." Most times, once they issue the items, the transfer shows up in the receiving store, but not always. I have several closed inter-store transfers where inventory has been relieved from the sending store, but the transfer never appears for the receiving store. (And the data does not appear in the receiving stores' PurchaseOrder table.) Can anyone help? Was there and error on the 401 worksheet at the time the transfer was comitted? We have had this ha...

how can i place a border around a business card edge?
One way (Publisher 2000) would be click on the business card to activate the text box then, select Format Line/Boarder style More styles Boarder art tab Select from the list (or create custom tab if you wish something else) Select boarder size OK -- Don - Publisher 2000� Vancouver, USA "Dierenarts" <Dierenarts@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9408EF76-2AF0-4AF6-B453-217633B553CC@microsoft.com... > Ahhhh............ extract the "a" from the borders; we don't want any bodies laying around. <G> 286 brain trying to handle...

Copying values from place to place
Hello community: Is it possible say, to type a value in a textbox in one form (Form A), automatically copy that value, then open another form( Form B) and automatically paste that value into another textbox in Form B? Is this possible? Thank you for your help. -Gabriel M. If you open Form B from Form A you can use the OpenArgs of the OpenForm command line to pass a value to Form B. docmd.OpenForm "FormName",,,,,,Me.TextBoxName On the OnLoad event of the Form B you can use set the value in the text box If not IsNull(Me.OpenArgs) Then Me.TextBox = Me.OpenArgs End If -- ...

Max decimal places
Does MS Excel have a maximum number decimal places. I know that I can format up to 30 decimal places. (This is not a formatting question.) Is 30 the default or are the decimal places infinite? I am uploading a file to a database and want to set the field length on the database to the maximum possible decimal places as long as its not infinite. Thank You. Excel only supports 15 significant digits. Anything beyond that is no mans land. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "SusieQ" <SusieQ@discussions.microsoft...

Bubble Chart
Hi all I would like to make a bubble chart that will automatic update when data is changed. The chart data consist of the following type of data in general; Name (Label) Ease (x) Risk (y) Size (cost) Type (colour) Product A 1 2 1 New Product (Red) Product B 2 3 2 New Product (Red) Product C 3 1 6 Improvement (Green) Product D 4 5 3 Improvement (Green) Product E 5 1 2 Cost Out (Gray) … … … … … The colour should be transparent if possible. It would also be nice if the bubble graph would automatic update if a new product is inserted / deleted. /Steen ...

CUrsor in WRONG Place
Hi folks: I have a user, which happens to be the President of the company, that when he clicks on any message to reply to it, the cursor is at the "To" field instead of the body of the message. So he starts typing and then realizes what he typed in the the "To" field. I have looked at all the options but I can't find anything to alter that behavior. We're using the Outlook default templayes with no customization. CAN ANYONE PLEAEEEASE HELP??? thanks! Have you checked your mouse properties in the Control Panel to see "Snap to Default" is enab...

excel validation to 1 decimal place
I want to restricted cell input to 1 delimal place ie 77.9. if user tries to input 77.09 or 77.48 or any figure to two decimal place they are prevent and must put in ie 77 or 77.4. Any ideas Tracy wrote: > I want to restricted cell input to 1 delimal place ie 77.9. > if user tries to input 77.09 or 77.48 or any figure to two decimal place > they are prevent and must put in ie 77 or 77.4. > > Any ideas You could right click and select format > number and then tell it only 1 decimal. It won't prevent them from putting one in but it will round it to 1 decimal. gls858...

Patterns for Object Fill Effects Do Not Remain in Place
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have been using Word on a PC for years and just bought a Mac. I installed Office 2008 and have found a glitch I can't seem to figure out. <br><br>When I go to format an Auto Shape with a pattern, I can get the pattern and colors that I want to show in my document. I can even click the &quot;Save&quot; button and show the object properly in &quot;Print Preview.&quot; But, when I close the document and reopen it, the pattern defaults to the upper left pattern of choices which is the...

Looking for a place holder for a cross tab in crystal report XI!!
Hi, Scenario: AM working on creating an excel report.Where i need to add a cross tab.When i export this report to excel format...all the fields(present in the cross tab) occupy different cells in the excel sheet. Suggested Solution : Am thinking of putting a place holder or a container sort of a thing inside which i put this cross tab.so that the fileds in the cross tab are restricted to that place holdre...(Wat we generally do in case of a subreport with n no. of fields...) Please find me a solution....Any other suggestion apart from wat i have thought are also welcome... Thanks this n...

Place name cards
I'm trying to use a template to make several place name cards,how do i alter the information in each template card ready for printing. Boyo wrote: > I'm trying to use a template to make several place name cards,how do i alter > the information in each template card ready for printing. Mail Merge is the easiest way; if you're using Publisher 2007, you could also use the Multiple Pages per Sheet option. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org ...

Adding a list box in place of a cell
I have a inherited a status spreadsheet that is updated ofen Previously, the sheet was saved by date so if you wanted to view th history of the comment field/column you had to open each spreadsheet. would like to append history but not have the cell grow to an enormou size. My thought is to use a list box but what I want to do is keep th box a static size and scroll through the data. I can use a secondar sheet to store and modify the data. TI -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Found the solution. I need to use textbox instead of list box. Then set vertical scrollbars to 2 - f...