pivot table with dynamic base data

hiya,

im trying to create a pivot table where I can change my base data (inserting
or deleting rows of data) and still have this reflected in the pivot table.

My solution was to use entire columns as my range for input to the
pivotTable, but this means including blank rows which seems to muck up the
calculations.
I cant think how else i can allow for new rows to be added to the base data
anyone got any ideas how to do this?

thanks loads for your help!
0
bb8854 (52)

You can use a dynamic range as the source. There are instructions here:

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
6/9/2005 11:59:26 AM
thankyou, works perfectly!

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

> You can use a dynamic range as the source. There are instructions here:
>
>    http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01.html
>
> bb wrote:
> > hiya,
> >
> > im trying to create a pivot table where I can change my base data (inserting
> > or deleting rows of data) and still have this reflected in the pivot table.
> >
> > My solution was to use entire columns as my range for input to the
> > pivotTable, but this means including blank rows which seems to muck up the
> > calculations.
> > I cant think how else i can allow for new rows to be added to the base data
> > anyone got any ideas how to do this?
> >
> > thanks loads for your help!
>

> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Confused1 (124)

Pivot Tables #4

Pivot Table Counting

Pivot Tables

Comparing data between two columns
I have a worksheet with two columns that I need to compare data between. I need to see what is different between one column and the next. There are number and letter values in the column and about 180+ rows. The information is scattered throughout the cells so there is no way to filter and check row by row. The columns look like this: July April MP123456789 MP555555559 MP987654321 MP666 H1258 MP789456123 MP00000 H89 MP987123654 MP123456789 I need something that would tell me that all of the above valu...

Report based on query w/subquery won't give a Report Footer total
I have a report that runs off a query which pulls item entry times per user. Each record in the table has an EntryStartTime field which is updated as soon as a user updates the first field in the entry form. (Technically the current time is stored in a global variable which is updated once the record is committed.) What I want to do is run a report showing how long it takes for a user to begin a new entry (i.e. the time between the start of record 1 and the start of record 2), and the average of those times. However, in my report, whenever I try to add a field in the Report Footer that...

Pivot Chart Formatting #5

Get External Data Macro
I need a macro that does the following: Inserts a new worksheet Names the worksheet Sheet1 (or any other name) Prompts for Get External Data (allowing the user to find the file) Is there any way to do this? Or at least the last 2 parts? -- mkerstei ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mkerstei's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25688 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=393385 ...

join multiple pivot tables?

Help with pivot table

Populate 2nd combo box based on value selected in first combo box?
I have 3 combo boxes. The first one is static inputs, the second need to be populated with inputs (via .AddItem) based on which input th user selects from combobox one. The third needs to be populated (vi .AddItem) based on what the user selects for the input in combobox 2. Is this possible?? Thanks... Chad! BTW..this form runs, but cmbFile is only populated with ".bsn" Private Sub UserForm_Initialize() 'populate the 1st combo box - this is static info With cmbParam .AddItem "Flow" .AddItem "Sediment" .AddItem "Phosphorous" .AddItem "Nitra...

IMPLEMENT_SERIAL (Changing the Base Class)
This might be a stupid question, or it could be incredibly insightful... ...but hope it's not the latter. I have a class that is probably about 3 levels away from the CObject class. Like this: CObject->ClassA->ClassSerialMe Currently I serialize this object with the usual: IMPLEMENT_SERIAL(ClassSerialMe, ClassA, VERSIONABLE_SCHEMA | 1 ) What would I need to do to change the base class of ClassA to: CObject->ClassB->ClassSerialMe And use the Serialize functionailty to a differnt version: IMPLEMENT_SERIAL(ClassSerialMe, ClassB, VERSIONABLE_SCHEMA | 2 ) I...

Moving SAN Based Server Drives
Our Exchange servers have a mixture of local and SAB storage. Each server has an E: F: G: and H: drive configed on the SAN for DB and Trans logs. We are moving over to an entirely new SAN and I have some questions concerning how EMC wants to migrate these SAN Drives. They want to create 4 new drives of the same size for each server say I: J: K: and L:. Then they want to bring these drives online with the server. They want us then to use System Manager and re-home each of the stores and logs on the new servers. My question is: Should we let ESM move the DB and Logs to the new SAN dri...

moving data dynamically based on empty cell
I have a data sheet that looks like this... col a col b abc 10 20 45 efg 5 18 10 I need it to look like this... col a col b abc 10 abc 20 abc 45 efg 5 efg 18 efg 10 since there is no consistency to the number of rows in col b with data, i have to come up with a formula that is dynamic The file has 20,000 rows so doing it manually is not the way to go. Thanks Give this macro a try... Sub FillInTheBlanks() Dim Area As Range, LastRow As Long Const ColLetter As String = "A&...

Using formulas for pivot table

Possible to chart data for dates implicit within a range?
I have a list of computer programs with start and end dates for each. I need to determine how many programs were running on my system on any given day. Can I get this data for individual days between the start and end dates without creating columns for each intermediate day? Ex.: Program 1 ran from 01/01/2005 to 01/14/2005. Program 2 ran from 01/06/2005 to 01/22/2005. Is it possible to chart the total number of programs running on 01/08/2005 without manually creating a column for that date? Thanks, Nechama You can compute this with formulas. Star with data in A1:C4 as follows: ...

Hyperlink in Pivot Table

Converting Year to Date Data to Month to Date
I have the following problem: I havea production table of all my agents the production comes in as a download each month but it is in Year to date totals. I would like to know how I change the data so that it is showing month to date production. i have changed the data to cross tab with the date as the column headings. The I created a select query and subtracted Jan from Feb to get the Feb production. I need to get this data in a normalized table formate with the Production date in one column and the monthly production in a second column. Thanks in advance for any help Use a subq...

Data validation and empty cells
range("d1").Validation.add formula1:= "=$A$1:$A$7",Type:=xlValidateList,operator:=xlBetween How to avoid empty entries in drop down box if some of cell from A1:A7 are empty? Thanks Sort A1:A7 so that the empties are at the bottom and use =OFFSET($A$1,,,COUNT($A$1:$A$7),1) -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove nothere from email address if mailing direct) "Kris" <witek7205@spam.gazeta.pl.invalid> wrote in message news:do75sd$8a4$1@inews.gazeta.pl... > range("d1").Validation.add formula1:= > "=$A$1:$A$7",Type:=xlValidateList,oper...

chart options show data table
Currently using 2 workbooks to produce 1 chart - the source data in workbook 1 and the chart in workbook 2. We also are using the "show data table" option to most easily view all values in the chart. We would like this data to keep it's currency format to best reflect the values in the chart; however, the data table loses this formatting when we close workbook 1. Is there any way to hang onto this formatting after the workbook is closed? Data tables in charts are not particularly flexible or capable. You combine the workbooks. Alternatively, put a table in the chart's...

Flowcharting Table relations
Hey guys and girls. New one for you. I am doing an IT audit of Great Plains and need to flowchart how the data files are related to each other. In other words, how does one file feed into another file, and what field or fields in a particular table is used to relate/link to another table. Does anyone where I can find such information? Thanks Check out the Great Plains SDK available on the installation CDs. There are several diagrams that describe table relationships. Also, there are module documents that contain posting flowcharts. Regards, Kevin Rood Corporate Software Consultants...

Help on Custom Data Validation
Dear NG, What should be the formula in custom data validation so that when A1 is empty no entry will be accepted in A2? Please no VB! Regards, Jon-jon Hi Try =A1="" as your formula in Data Validation for A2 Hope this helps. -- Andy. "JON JON" <conrado_capistranoREMOVE@msn.com> wrote in message news:u$85VgfJEHA.1312@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Dear NG, > > What should be the formula in custom data validation so that when A1 is > empty no entry will be accepted in A2? Please no VB! > > Regards, > > Jon-jon > > Hi Jon I woul...

Pivot Tables #40
Does anyone know if there is a way to quickly clear a field list? I can't find a keyboard shortcut or anything else in any of the help/support avenues I've tried. Thanks in advance for the help. -- ERR229 Are you trying to clear all the check boxes in the field's dropdown list? In Excel 2002 and later versions, there's a Show All checkbox. In Excel 2000, and earlier versions, you can use programming to hide or show the items -- there's sample code here: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot03.html ERR229 wrote: > Does anyone know if there is a way to quickl...

I need to convert a word table to excel
When I try doing this by copying the table it appears in excelwith one or two empty lines in between each of my lines that I needed converting. Why is this? usually means there are superfluous paragraph marks in the Word table. "Aaron" <Aaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:012E3413-1F64-4018-BC14-A2D6AB68B668@microsoft.com... > When I try doing this by copying the table it appears in excelwith one or > two > empty lines in between each of my lines that I needed converting. Why is > this? ...