Pivot Table from data table (not data LIST)

What are some good ways to create pivot tables when your source data is
in a table format, not a list format?

For example, how would you create a pivot table from a calendar, which
only has days' names at the top of the table, and has numerical dates
in each cell (ie a Regular calendar :)

The standard way would be to create a list of numerical dates, then add
a column and type in "Monday" for each date that is a Monday, "Tuesday"
for each Tuesday, etc.

---

As far as I know, the PT requires the data to be in a form compatible
with the prerequiste for a relational database model.  What you
describe is not an acceptable format.

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <absolin.ydyaz@excelforum-nospam.com>,
absolin.ydyaz@excelforum-nospam.com says...
> What are some good ways to create pivot tables when your source data is
> in a table format, not a list format?
>
> For example, how would you create a pivot table from a calendar, which
> only has days' names at the top of the table, and has numerical dates
> in each cell (ie a Regular calendar :)
>
> The standard way would be to create a list of numerical dates, then add
> a column and type in "Monday" for each date that is a Monday, "Tuesday"
> for each Tuesday, etc.
>

> ---

So now the question is that is there an easier way to convert table to
list?  And then we can feed it into a pivot table.

---

To restructure your data, you may be able to use the "unpivot' technique
described by John Walkenbach:
           http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip068.htm

ychu < wrote:
> So now the question is that is there an easier way to convert table to
> list?  And then we can feed it into a pivot table.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

Displaying Image(RGB888 data ) (buffered data ,not from file) on a Dialog box
Hi, I want to Display the Picture on a dialog box I have the Image(RGB888) data Which is taken from the driver I want to display it on the window I tried with CreateBitmap(320,240,1,24,NULL); but it is not working How can i proceed Thanks See if this will help http://www.kbalertz.com/kb_Q94326.aspx#appliesto AliR. <darshan.tapdia@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1155227161.797014.51780@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > > Hi, > > I want to Display the Picture on a dialog box > > I have the Image(RGB888) data Which is taken from the driver > > I want ...

Pivot Tables #4

Pivot Table Counting

Pivot Tables

Pivot Chart Formatting #5

Export list of users
We have an Exchange 2003 sp1 and I need to print not all but the active mailboxes. I have some mailboxes that are hidden so I do not want to print those. I need to get a list of users. I tried AD but first you have to go to every container to export them which we have too many for every divisions and also it does not specify if the account is hidden or live, and from Exchange System Manager it is the same. I have to go to every mailbox store and export the the list of mailboxes which actually it does not show if they are hidden or not. So I thought to do it from Outlook's addre...

Get External Data Macro
I need a macro that does the following: Inserts a new worksheet Names the worksheet Sheet1 (or any other name) Prompts for Get External Data (allowing the user to find the file) Is there any way to do this? Or at least the last 2 parts? -- mkerstei ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mkerstei's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25688 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=393385 ...

join multiple pivot tables?

Help with pivot table

Using formulas for pivot table

Hyperlink in Pivot Table

Possible to chart data for dates implicit within a range?
I have a list of computer programs with start and end dates for each. I need to determine how many programs were running on my system on any given day. Can I get this data for individual days between the start and end dates without creating columns for each intermediate day? Ex.: Program 1 ran from 01/01/2005 to 01/14/2005. Program 2 ran from 01/06/2005 to 01/22/2005. Is it possible to chart the total number of programs running on 01/08/2005 without manually creating a column for that date? Thanks, Nechama You can compute this with formulas. Star with data in A1:C4 as follows: ...

chart options show data table
Currently using 2 workbooks to produce 1 chart - the source data in workbook 1 and the chart in workbook 2. We also are using the "show data table" option to most easily view all values in the chart. We would like this data to keep it's currency format to best reflect the values in the chart; however, the data table loses this formatting when we close workbook 1. Is there any way to hang onto this formatting after the workbook is closed? Data tables in charts are not particularly flexible or capable. You combine the workbooks. Alternatively, put a table in the chart's...

Converting Year to Date Data to Month to Date
I have the following problem: I havea production table of all my agents the production comes in as a download each month but it is in Year to date totals. I would like to know how I change the data so that it is showing month to date production. i have changed the data to cross tab with the date as the column headings. The I created a select query and subtracted Jan from Feb to get the Feb production. I need to get this data in a normalized table formate with the Production date in one column and the monthly production in a second column. Thanks in advance for any help Use a subq...

How to reduce font size for Folder list and email list?
I no longer need huge fonts! Hooray! I know certain areas of OE font size are governed by IE text size. I changed IE text size to smallest. That changed the OE "splash" screen size. But how do I change the font size for Folders on the left and the list of emails on the right? I also got font size for reading emails and replying and composing changed to smaller. So, it mostly the two mentioned above that are still in very large font. Oh, and looking at the headers as I type this...they are still in very large font. How do I change that? I'm getting frustrated at ...

Data validation and empty cells
range("d1").Validation.add formula1:= "=$A$1:$A$7",Type:=xlValidateList,operator:=xlBetween How to avoid empty entries in drop down box if some of cell from A1:A7 are empty? Thanks Sort A1:A7 so that the empties are at the bottom and use =OFFSET($A$1,,,COUNT($A$1:$A$7),1) -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove nothere from email address if mailing direct) "Kris" <witek7205@spam.gazeta.pl.invalid> wrote in message news:do75sd$8a4$1@inews.gazeta.pl... > range("d1").Validation.add formula1:= > "=$A$1:$A$7",Type:=xlValidateList,oper...

Flowcharting Table relations
Hey guys and girls. New one for you. I am doing an IT audit of Great Plains and need to flowchart how the data files are related to each other. In other words, how does one file feed into another file, and what field or fields in a particular table is used to relate/link to another table. Does anyone where I can find such information? Thanks Check out the Great Plains SDK available on the installation CDs. There are several diagrams that describe table relationships. Also, there are module documents that contain posting flowcharts. Regards, Kevin Rood Corporate Software Consultants...

Utilizing a portion of data in SUMPRODUCT
Based on prior input from the group, I am using the following formula: =SUMPRODUCT(--(Log!B3:B80=1997),--(Log!E3:E80=17)) The data in Column B is actually a full date, entered yyyy/mm/dd. With the data in this format, I get a formula result of 0. If I eliminate the /mm/dd, I get the correct result of 1. I have tried the formula with and without quotes around the Condition. The person for whom I am creating this spreadsheet has asked that the date be kept together, rather than separating out the year. Is there some way I can maintain the data in Column B and change the formula to ge...

Data Cleansing 10-09-03
Hello, Has anyone deduped customer data that has already been migrated into MS CRM? I know Scribe is good for migration, however, we're beyond that. We need to dedup and/or merge records from various sales groups. Then allow business users to view the results and assign the contact to the sales person with the longest or best relationship to the customer. Do you have any recommendations? Is a new product launching in New Orleans? Thank you in advance for your time. Share ...

distribution lists not working after change to Exch 2k3 native mod
My exch 2k3 server is not delivering mail from users who are using pre-difined DL's that were created in exch 5.5 . These email(s) are being caught in the queue. When I click on this particular "internet mail SMTP connector" I receive a message in the lower left "additional queue information" that states "unable to bind to the destination server in DNS. Any help is appreciated Supplemental. These are internal DL's that do not require routing to external DNS server. I can resolve all external and internal DNS names from this exchange server. "Zart th...

PINGing a List of Servers Using VBScript
Hi I am trying to write a script which reads a list of servers from a txt document and then PING each server. It reads the file and adds each server, in turn, to a variable. When I try to run an object which incorporates running PING and should PING the variable content (the server name) it fails to be able to read the contents of the variable. How can I get this to work? I have tried all sorts of scenarios, by changing the syntax and even tried to use a Function but get the same results. DO While ObjTS.AtEndOfStream<>True stroutput = objTS.Readline Set ObjExec = Obj...

Help on Custom Data Validation
Dear NG, What should be the formula in custom data validation so that when A1 is empty no entry will be accepted in A2? Please no VB! Regards, Jon-jon Hi Try =A1="" as your formula in Data Validation for A2 Hope this helps. -- Andy. "JON JON" <conrado_capistranoREMOVE@msn.com> wrote in message news:u$85VgfJEHA.1312@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Dear NG, > > What should be the formula in custom data validation so that when A1 is > empty no entry will be accepted in A2? Please no VB! > > Regards, > > Jon-jon > > Hi Jon I woul...

Pivot Tables #40
Does anyone know if there is a way to quickly clear a field list? I can't find a keyboard shortcut or anything else in any of the help/support avenues I've tried. Thanks in advance for the help. -- ERR229 Are you trying to clear all the check boxes in the field's dropdown list? In Excel 2002 and later versions, there's a Show All checkbox. In Excel 2000, and earlier versions, you can use programming to hide or show the items -- there's sample code here: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot03.html ERR229 wrote: > Does anyone know if there is a way to quickl...