pie chart legend text

My pie chart has 10 data values (e.g. 10 sectors). The
legend shows a little box with the color that coordinates
with each sector and they are automatically numbered 1
thru 10.
I have the data in a column and the respective text in an
adjacent column.
I want the legend text to come from the spreadsheet. Right
now, I get numbers 1 thru 10 next to the little box and I
cannot seem to change the text.

Maybe I have the data set up wrong?  Should it be
something other than columns?

Tnx in advance for any help
Brian
becoon@twcny.rr.com

0
becoon (2)

Brian -

A little work up front saves trouble later.  Put the labels in the
column immediately to the left of the data.  Select both columns of
data, then make your chart.  Excel uses the labels in the legend.

But you don't want to make all your charts over.  And maybe the data
isn't arranged exactly the way I described.  So select the chart, and
choose Source Data from the Chart menu.  Click on the Series tab, click
in the (presumably blank) Category Labels box, and with your mouse
select the range containing the text labels.

You can do this with your data in rows, too.  Put the labels immediately
above the values.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
_______

MacCoon wrote:
> My pie chart has 10 data values (e.g. 10 sectors). The
> legend shows a little box with the color that coordinates
> with each sector and they are automatically numbered 1
> thru 10.
> I have the data in a column and the respective text in an
> adjacent column.
> I want the legend text to come from the spreadsheet. Right
> now, I get numbers 1 thru 10 next to the little box and I
> cannot seem to change the text.
>
> Maybe I have the data set up wrong?  Should it be
> something other than columns?
>
> Tnx in advance for any help
> Brian
> becoon@twcny.rr.com

0
jonpeltier (303)
8/7/2003 3:54:02 AM
Placing the text in the left side adjacent column gave me
exactly what I wanted .  Tnx

Brian

0
becoon (2)

Text #2
.. ...

Comparative charts
I want to do a simple bar chart showing sales for each day this year, with right next to it, sales from the same day last year. How would I setup my table to do this? I am dumping data from another source. THANKS! Kelli Set up your data with days down column A, with the years as headings in row 1. For example: 2004 2005 1 100 125 2 125 132 Select a cell in the table, and use the Chart Wizard to create a chart. Jon Peltier has a Charting tutorial that may help you: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/index.html Kelli wrote: > I want to do a simple bar...

referencing text in an IF statement
I am trying to use an IF statement to look for text in range of cells but cannot get it to return the value I want I think because I'm searching for text not a value. If any cell in a column contains the text "Error" I want the cell I'm in to also read "Error". Here's the formula I have but it won't work: =IF(OR(A122:A457="Error"),"Error",""). Any suggestions? Hi, try =if(COUNTIF(a122:a457,"Error")>0,"Error","") "Michelle Thompson" wrote: > I am trying to use...

highlighting different sections of a line chart
I have a line graph that runs over time. i would like to highlight certain areas of continuous time with shading of different colour. Is this or something similar possible? Oliver - Something like this? http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColoredVerticalBand.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Oliver S" <OliverS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:53707664-425A-4279-ABCA-EC8EBE117B30@microsoft.com... >I have a line graph that runs over time. i would like to highlight c...

XY Scatter Chart
I need some help with an XY Scatter chart. I need to add a data table to the chart. Is there a way to do this? I routinely add the data table to line and bar charts. In this case the data needs to be in the xy scatter format. Thanks Here is a works around, I will assume the data is in columns Select the data and copy Move to an unused part of the worksheet; used Edit | Paste Special, specify Transpose Put borders on the new 'table' and adjust the column width Select the new table; with SHIFT help down use Edit; use the Copy as Picture item Move to your chart and copy the picture o...

>250 characters in a chart title
How can I allow >250 characters in a chart title? Is there any way at all? I know it can temporarily "allow" it, but it doesn't even Copy>Paste properly into Word (it's missing the characters that go over 250). Could you delete the title and use a regular textbox? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "databird" <databird@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:78064720-949B-47A5-82DC-E7AA989A89AC@microsoft.com... > How can I allow...

Justifying Text Within Publisher
How do I juustify text within a text box using Publisher, without a word that contains too many characters splitting at the end of the line? Hannah <Hannah@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > How do I juustify text within a text box using Publisher, without a > word that contains too many characters splitting at the end of the > line? For the current text box, Tools > Language > Hyphenation. For new text boxes in the publication, Tools > Options. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...

Swing Chart with dynamic Range
I would like to create a swing chart (stock chart) with a dynamic range that grows as more data is added. Any ideas? Thank You Joe Hi, For information on the dynamic ranges have a read of Jon Peltier's page http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html Depending on which stock chart you want you will need 3 to 5 named ranges. Cheers Andy Joseph Sayah wrote: > I would like to create a swing chart (stock chart) with a dynamic range that > grows as more data is added. > > Any ideas? > > Thank You > Joe -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andyp...

pie charts
I wanted to know if there was a way to make the pie chart more interactive and more user friendly. The question that I have is: Is it possible for Excel to automatically move/add an 'arc' through exploded pie chart, within each individual slice. Without having t insert a text box and manually create each arc that is needed. EXAMPLE: In the area of "Customer Service" the group wants to become a Level from a Level 4; by just entering the number in to a worksheet rathe than in a text box on the chart itself. I have an example attached so you could get a visual look at ...

how to create "magic grid" chart with names in it
Hi. I want to create a "gartner's magic quadrant" like grphics. I use the scatter plot to draw two variables into a single point, BUT when I want to name the dots I can't use the name instead the value. vulnerabilidad probabilidad impacto Incendio 2 4 inundacion 2 3 robo 3 5 aceso no autorizado 5 4 perdida de integridad 4 5 falla de energia 3 2 Thanks.... Gonzalo Hi, Here are a couple of free addins that allow you to link data labels to cells. Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com Cheers Andy gconcha.ci...

Charting a table
I have a bar chart and a pie chart as objects occupying a dedicated chart worksheet, and I would like to add a small table to complete my presentation on a single page. I first started by saving the small table as a gif file, but I am not sure whether it can be successfully imported into the chart worksheet or not. Any ideas for how to proceed? Thanks in advance. Brad On the chart sheet, choose Insert>Picture>From File, and insert the file you saved. Or, you can copy and paste worksheet cells onto the chart as a picture: Select the table on the worksheet Choose Edit>Co...

watermarking charts
is it possible to place a watermark on an excel chart? i have managed to "fudge it" with a jpeg in the plot area, but i would prefer a better way, if there is one. You can prepare a picture in a graphics program, then add it to the plot area: Right-click the plot area Choose Format Plot Area Click the Fill Effects button On the Picture tab, click Select Picture Locate and select your picture file Click Insert Click OK, click OK jiwolf wrote: > is it possible to place a watermark on an excel chart? i have managed to > "fudge it" with a jpeg in the plot area, ...

How do i make a Progress Chart
I need to make a chart and a scorecard to show progress on projects that have been completed, that are in progress, that are behind, and that are defeered. I want to know how to make a chart of this information but i am not sure on how to do it. ...

Delete Chart
How do I delete a chart that will not allow me to click on it? If the sheet has been protected, you need to unprotect it first (Tools menu). - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ agac8103 wrote: > How do I delete a chart that will not allow me to click on it? It's not protected. "Jon Peltier" wrote: > If the sheet has been protected, you need to unprotect it first (Tools menu). > > - Jon > ------- > Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP > Peltier Technical S...

Pie of pie of pie
The present pie of pie allows us to create pie charts upto 2 level. I want to create 3 level pie charts(pie of pie of pie). How can I do that? -- Rash Edward Tufte once said words to this effect: "The only thing worse than a pie chart is two pie charts." I imagine that a pie of pie of pie is even worse. I would try to display the data using a series of column or bar charts. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Rash" <Rash@discussions.microsoft.com> wrot...

How do I create a HTML text for my web page?
How do you create a HTML for a webpage? i am a user of the site www.horseland.com and would like to make myself and others HTML based layouts Excel is a spreadsheet application, not really intended for creating HTML, though you can File-->Save as and choose HTML. I suggest FrontPage, though. ************ Hope it helps! Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Horseychic" <Horseychic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7BF583CE-A4EB-40CB-901D-B0BCEDE5C39C@microsoft.com... > How do you create a HTML for a webpage? i am a user of the site > www.horseland.com a...

Easy charting question (hopefully)
Hi All, This should be a fairly simple one but I can not find through Google or Microsoft on how to accomplish it. My rows of data have 14 columns. One of those columns I would like to do a count on, so for example the COLUMN of data looks like: Apples Apples Apples Oranges Pears Pears Zuchini I want a chart that shows a count for each one, so there would be 3 apples, 1 oranges, 2 pears, and 1 zuchini. This would then be in a bar chart. Does that make sense? Thanks for your help, SD Perhaps this: Sub Test() Dim r As Range, c As Range Dim cht As Chart Dim s As Series Dim ws As Worksh...

Possible to add second data label to pie chart?
I am trying to automate a large number of charts. The problem I am having is adding a second label to a pie chart. I have added the name of the slice and its percentage but I'd like to add an additional lable centered in the slice with its point change from last year. I can do this by hand with text boxes but its a real pain. Is there a way to add a label that changes based on what I put into a cell? Here is an example of what I am trying to do. [image: http://www.bgphc.com/picture/chart-example.gif] -- jpwolf00 --------------------------------------------------------------------...

Excel Chart #3
I've created a chart in Excel with two x axis', I am trying to add a 3rd data source to plot on the chart, when I add the 3rd source, my second line disappears. Maybe, you have the same problem that Mark has in the concurrent discussion "Adding multiple source data to chart" -- Regards, Tushar Mehta MS MVP Excel 2000-2004 www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA tutorials and add-ins Custom Productivity Solutions leveraging MS Office In article <007601c3aa0d$5d64cdd0$a401280a@phx.gbl>, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says... > I've created a ...

how to produce horizontal line chart of point est & 95% ci's
hello there, would appreciate help and advice to help me. i have six columns of data. the first column is a string variable, the second and third columns are numerical variables (year, population size n). these first three columns would be my y-axis on the left. if it would help make it easier, then i can combine these three columns into one column (e.g. arthur 1999 30,000) . the fourth, fifth and sixth columns are lower limit of the point estimate's 95% confidence interval, point estimates itself and the upper limit of 95% confidence interval (e.g. 0.32(0.51)0.73). these last co...

Pie Pie or Pie Bar Chart
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel These charts appear in the chart gallery yet the methods to implement them are not obvious to me. Been through all the Mac Excel 2008 help (including on line) - no luck. How does one format or specify the data table so that a component of the main pie will be broken down in the secondary pie or bar? Excel 2008 Help on charts really is one of the better aspects of Help in the 2008 suite, but it does fall short in some areas... That's one of them. Try here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA...

Combo and text box dependency
On my form I have a combo box (cboRepairType) which retrieves its list from field(1) of tblGrips. Once the selection has been made (AfterUpdate I presume) I would like the corresponding value from field(3) of tblGrips to display in a text box (txtSellPrice), (or would another type of display be more appropriate?) Can this be done? Please be gentle I am a novice at this :-) Sandy Hi Sandy, Yes, it can be done. Use the Afterupdate event procedure, as you have indicated. In VBA code, the columns are "zero-based", so the first column of the rowsource would be column(0), the s...

changing default fill for balck and white pie graph
Working in excel 2003, I have created a black and white pie graph and want to change the fill options for each slice of the pie. Excel defaults are not pleasing to me Hi, You need to select the pie, pause and then select the slice. CTRL+1 to display format dialog. On the Patterns tab you can use the Fill Effects button to select appropriate pattern. Repeat to other slices. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "fish head" <fish head@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CCE6DE23-176C-4C33-8F56-C5FF20BB123B@microsoft.com....

Line chart problem sorry..
Hit wrong button Here is problem again: Year Numbers 2003 1254 2002 2376 2001 2143 I select info and go thru chart wizard. On the cat x axis I expect see the years but get a sequence of numbers unrelated to the Year column and also of less entris that are in year column. I have formatted the columns as text can anyone help with this please? Thanks Kit Kit - Excel cannot chart text, it insists on numbers. Format at least the Numbers column as numerical values. If you are making a line or column chart, the years don't matter, but if you're making an XY Scatter chart, you h...

charting on/off status
I need to chart the on or off status of a device. I would like for the chart to show a "1" on the y-axis when the device is on and a "0" on the y-axis when the device is off. The x-axis would show the time. If the device comes on at 9:00 am my data recorder records a record with a value of "1" at 9:00. Data recorder's next record is a "0" at 9:23 when the device changes to the off state. Can someone help me to chart this type of information? In the end, I have 4 data recorders that I want to plot on the same chart to determine when the...