Paste cell value onto chart

Howdy all,

I am creating Normal Probability plots to test normality assumptions and
compare variances of two independent datasets. If the plotted data
approximate a straight (diagonal) line, the data can be assumed to be
normally distributed; and if the two plots are parallel, they can be
assumed to have equal variances. I would like to add one additional bit
of information to the finished chart, comparison of the Standard
Deviation estimates from the two datasets (if larger SD/smaller SD is
approximately >=3, then the SD's are probably "too different," and
assuming equal variances is unwarranted). On my worksheet with the QQ
calcs I have a (slightly snarky) formula that calculates the SD Ratio
(=IF(STDEV(A1:A144)>STDEV(F1:F75),STDEV(A1:A144)/STDEV(F1:F75),STDEV(F1:F75)/STDEV(A1:A144))).
I would like to "paste" the value returned by this formula into my
chart, preferably in the lower right hand corner. Paste Special only
seems to work for series, not individual cells. And I'd prefer to avoid
having to insert Word Art into the chart and typing the SD ratio in
manually, since I have many, many more QQ plots to do. Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.

tia,

LeAnne

PS. Using XL97, WIN98
0
NoSpam2208 (77)

Hi LeAnne,

You could add a textbox to the chart and link it to the cell containing
the SD Ratio.
Simply select the chart and type in the cell reference, including equals
and sheet reference. eg: assume formula in cell B3 type,

	=sheet1!b3

This will create the textbox for you. You can then position it where you
want within the chart.

Or maybe instead of an additional textbox you could use the charts X or
Y axis title, assuming that they are not already in use.

So, use the chart options dialog to add the x axis title. Select the
title and the once again enter the cell reference.

--

Cheers
Andy

http://www.andypope.info

0
andy9699 (3616)
8/19/2003 9:19:20 PM
An even easier way to make a textbox is to select the chart, press =,
and click on the cell.  To link a chart or axis title or data label to a
cell, select the title or label, press =, and click on the cell.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
_______

Andy Pope wrote:
> Hi LeAnne,
>
> You could add a textbox to the chart and link it to the cell containing
> the SD Ratio.
> Simply select the chart and type in the cell reference, including equals
> and sheet reference. eg: assume formula in cell B3 type,
>
>     =sheet1!b3
>
> This will create the textbox for you. You can then position it where you
> want within the chart.
>
> Or maybe instead of an additional textbox you could use the charts X or
> Y axis title, assuming that they are not already in use.
>
> So, use the chart options dialog to add the x axis title. Select the
> title and the once again enter the cell reference.
>
> LeAnne wrote:
>
>> Howdy all,
>>
>> I am creating Normal Probability plots to test normality assumptions and
>> compare variances of two independent datasets. If the plotted data
>> approximate a straight (diagonal) line, the data can be assumed to be
>> normally distributed; and if the two plots are parallel, they can be
>> assumed to have equal variances. I would like to add one additional bit
>> of information to the finished chart, comparison of the Standard
>> Deviation estimates from the two datasets (if larger SD/smaller SD is
>> approximately >=3, then the SD's are probably "too different," and
>> assuming equal variances is unwarranted). On my worksheet with the QQ
>> calcs I have a (slightly snarky) formula that calculates the SD Ratio
>> (=IF(STDEV(A1:A144)>STDEV(F1:F75),STDEV(A1:A144)/STDEV(F1:F75),STDEV(F1:F75)/STDEV(A1:A144))).
>>
>> I would like to "paste" the value returned by this formula into my
>> chart, preferably in the lower right hand corner. Paste Special only
>> seems to work for series, not individual cells. And I'd prefer to avoid
>> having to insert Word Art into the chart and typing the SD ratio in
>> manually, since I have many, many more QQ plots to do. Any suggestions
>> would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> tia,
>>
>> LeAnne
>>
>> PS. Using XL97, WIN98

0
jonpeltier (303)

Paste special treats cells as a picture
I just got a new computer, and a newer version of excel, which is great, but whenever I try to copy from one file to another, my paste special function treats the copied cells as a picture. Instead of the normal paste special popup, where it asks me how I want the data to come out, I get a different popup that shows the source as a "Microsoft Office Excel Worksheet Object." It asks me what format I want the picture to come out as, and gives me a list of different file formats. If I try to just paste a link, it puts a picture of the other file on the new one. I talked to so...

How do I set up a chart to only chart values greater than 0
I have a chart in Excell that I would like to only have chart those items with a value of greater than 0 (zero). Not sure if there is a better, easier way than having manually manipulate the data. Let's say the values are in B1:B20 In C1 enter =IF(B1>0,B1,NA()) Now use column C for the chart; the displayed #N/A values will be ignored by the chart engine best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "debra49424" <debra49424@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A513E053-4AD9-44FE-952E-E9A60F49...

Will excel 2003 format a cell to the year?
It seems like it should be obvious, but I am finding it impossible to get excel to do a date format that recognizes a year. Is there some way? I typed a date in A1 (09/28/2006) and used format|Cells|number tab|custom category|yyyy with my USA settings. kateofmd@msn.com wrote: > > It seems like it should be obvious, but I am finding it impossible to > get excel to do a date format that recognizes a year. Is there some > way? -- Dave Peterson ...

Copy and paste formula; Value pastes instead
Excel 2002 I've tried starting several worksheets, checking formats, pasting special (formula only). For some reason the formula actually copies OK by looking at the formula bar, but the value in the cell is identical to the value of the copied cell.Incorrect. Tried even the simplest formulas with no joy. BK ...

Conditional format
Hi Conditional format Is there a way to get a cell's format determined by the format of a different cell?! e.g. Could one get an entire row market up in say bold red if one cell in that row was say less than 100 With thanks Ship Shiperton Henethe Hi Shiperton yep ) select the rows that you want to apply the conditional formatting to, ensuring that the first row of this group is the first row at the top of the screen (it gets confused sometimes if it isn't) the following example assums you've selected from row 2 onwards and you want the row to turn red if ...

Need large gap in chart
I am making a line graph with 2 sets of numbers that are very far apart - one set of numbers is around 7000 to 8000, and the other set is closer to 80,000. Of course, I get one line at the top of the chart that is pretty easy to read, but the line on the bottom that represents the smaller numbers is just TINY and looks pretty much straight. My question is this: is there a way to put a "break" into the graph between the smaller numbered data and the larger ones so they are all easier to read? Like a jagged line showing where the jump occurs or something? Hi, Jon has an exampl...

"Paste Special" with the right click mouse
I would like to have the option of "Paste Special" with the right click mouse in all microsoft office suite. Thanks, ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=de847738-df56-4...

Clipboard pasting
I copy something to the clipboard using Publisher 2007 and the computer tells me it is in the clipboard; however, when I go to paste that information into another document, Publisher acts like it is not there. I then need to close the document I wish to paste it into, reopen it, and then, like magic, there is the information in the clipboard and I am able to paste it. UGH!!!!!! -- Ginger Christenson Open the Office Clipboard in Publisher. Edit, Office Clipboard. What program are you pasting to? If it is an Office program, open the Office Clipboard in that program too. -- Mary Sauer ...

Pasting formulas advances cell reference
Hi When i paste special from one cell into another, it advances the cell reference and i just want an exact match i.e. A1 formula ='Feb 2010'!C18 but when i paste it into another cell it pastes it as ='Feb 2010'!D18 The C changes to D, how do i stop this happening? Thanks for any help in advance Derek Use absolute referencing. Below are the different reference styles. A1 Relative referencing. Both column and row will change if you copy or drag the formula. $A1 The column reference is fixed and will not change A$1 The row reference is fixed and wil...

Parameters And Null Values
I have a query that I wish to return ALL values between 2 dates AND any records that the date happens to be null I have used the following: WHERE (((Schedule.DateSubmitted) Between [Forms]![ViewReports]![DateFrom] And [Forms]![ViewReports]![DateTo] Or (Schedule.DateSubmitted) Is Null)) And the result is ONLY the Null values. WHERE (((Schedule.DateSubmitted) Between [Forms]![ViewReports]![DateFrom] And [Forms]![ViewReports]![DateTo] And (Schedule.DateSubmitted) Is Null)) And the result is Nothing...an empty set. What do I need to do so that it will show me all records betwe...

Copy/Paste loop
I have a form on one sheet in excel, on the next sheet i have mad different coloums with different headings. I want the data from th form to be copyed to each heading e.g. name in form is copyed to unde the coloum with title name. So each time a user fills in there details he/she clicks submit an there data is copyed to the next page, like a small database. Is there a macro that can do this as i keep getting different error each time. I want this to continue in a loop Please help!!:confused -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com This might get you started: Option Explicit Opti...

Keep certain cells from moving
I'm sure this will be an easy one, but I can't seem to find the info i help. I'm using Excel 97 and have a simple sheet with a few columns o data. I've setup auto-filters for colums A-E. What I want to to is put some formulas in column F that don't ge blanked out when I use the filters (if they're on a line that doesn' meet the condition I've selected, they dissappear). I'd also like the to give me dynamic totals. For instance, I have dollar amounts attributed to certain people in on column and their names in another. If I use the filter to select o...

how to add a horizontal benchmark value line in a column chart?
I need to create a vertical column chart with a horizontal benchmark line to show where the expected value is. Is this possible in Excel? Hi, You will find examples of adding datum lines to charts here, including links to other site examples. http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Mike Chro" <Mike Chro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C17CFDA2-A8D5-46D9-81E9-2CC2C4D54C4E@microsoft.com... >I need to create a vertical column chart with a horizontal benchmark line >to...

When I copy a picture and paste it into Publisher it disappears
I have tried to copy a picture from my documents and paste it into Publisher and the picture disappears. What version of Publisher? What happens if you go to... Insert / Picture / From File? -- John Inzer "Cathy" <Cathy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EF2CA50C-78D9-47DB-8799-E9C3C9171038@microsoft.com... >I have tried to copy a picture from my documents and paste it into >Publisher > and the picture disappears. I am using Office Profession Edition 2003. I tried another picture and so far it is still there. Thanks. "John Inzer"...

Cannot release cell
As soon as I open Excel and click into the first cell, the program will not release the cell. It will not even let me access the Menus above. Is this a software issue? I believe there is a quick keyboard sequence fix but I dont know what it is and can not find the information anywhere (including MS Excel TroubleShoot KnowledgeBase) Do you see EXT in the statusbar (bottom right corner)? If yes, hit the F8 key to toggle this off. Have you tried a different mouse or mouse driver? MEvans wrote: > > As soon as I open Excel and click into the first cell, the program will not > ...

Chart Location Choice
I have one spreadsheet with lots of charts but for some reason I cannot select the chart location. The only one allowed is "As new sheet". The alternate ""As object in" is ghosted out! what did I do wrong?? I have checked tools-option? I disabled macros? Is the sheet protected, preventing insertion of any objects. Regards, Peter T "Geoff" <Geoff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:598ADFDC-9F61-40F0-AB4A-08023022BB9F@microsoft.com... >I have one spreadsheet with lots of charts but for some reason I cannot > select the chart...

Paste and Paste Special
What are the differences between paste and paste special and are these two functions the same for XP software from different sources? e.g Word, Publisher, Ventura and Word Perfect? -- _ _________________________________________ / \._._ |_ _ _ /' Orpheus Internet Services \_/| |_)| |(/_|_|_> / 'Internet for Everyone' _______ | ___________./ http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk ...

visually rendering tabular data as a gantt chart #2
Hello, I have a table in MS Access with data that i'd like to programmatically translate into a gantt-chart-like rendering in Visio 2010. I presume I'll have to use Visio VBA to accomplish this but it would be my first foray into Visio automation so I'm trying to get an idea of just how much work it might take and any other helpful insights. My Access table would have the following fields: Month 1 Month 2 Name 1 Name 2 Number Comment I'd like to programmatically loop through this table and produce a gantt-chart-like rendering in Visio 2010. The Visio diagram would already h...

Hide and Protect Cells/Columns in Resource Sheet
I am working in Project 2003 Resource Sheet and have entered Standard Rates for the resources and would like to hide these rates. (Similar to how you would use Custom format to hide cell contents in Excel). Can this be done in Project? I know you can hide a column but anyone can redisplay a hidden column. Is there a way to hide and protect the rates so that other users cannot see them? Thanks for your help. Yes. Delete the rates from any file that you give to anyone who should not see the rates. Hidden, protected. -- Trevor Rabey 0407213955 61 8 92727485 PERFECT PR...

pasting the result of a search
TIA once again. I have a macro that will search a wide range of cells to find a particular piece of data. when it finds that data, i need the macro to copy that data exactly 5 cells to the right of where it finds it. i can find the data, copy the data, (so that the little ants are running around the cell) but i do not know how to paste it to a different location that is based upon the original location. i tried to use "offset" but it seems like it requires a starting range, and the starting range will be different each time the macro selects a different piece of data. Can I use...

An additional charts package?
Hi, Are there 3rd party packages for making _really_ fancy charts in Excel? For example, I would like to have three or four graphs, one under another, have the same (date) x-axis: stock price, log(stock price), volume, correlation, and percentage change. And I also want to draw a vertical line through all four graphs for visual inspection. Thank you very much in advance! Aaron Fude If you post your question in the microsoft.public.excel.charting newsgroup, someone may be able to help. You can access the newsgroups through the Microsoft web site: http://www.microsoft.com/office/co...

disable cells
Hi There, I just want to know how to disable certain cell/column/row in an excel sheet without using protect sheet option. I have Microsoft Offices 2000 installed on my PC. Thanking in advance Gaensh Something I have used in the past (although not as secure as protection - which is also not all that secure) is to use cell validation, set the Allow: to Custom, then in the formula enter <> this essencially does not allow any data entry to a cell, unless of course the validation is removed. Simon "Ganesh" wrote: > Hi There, > I just want to know how to disable cert...

Check for Duplicate value BeforeUpdate
Hello all, I have a problem with updating on my form. I have a form, TrainingHistory, that is linked to a table by the same name. There are three fields showing: FullName, ClassName, and DateTaken. For each person, I am only interested in the MOST RECENT date they took any given class. So what I want is to be able to enter a name and class, and have Access check the table for this combination of name and class. If such an entry already does exist, I would like the form to bring up that entry, and that entry alone, for editing of the date. There should also be a message explaining what ju...

Tabbing from cell to cell
I need to be able to tab from a certain cell to the next and so on in order. I understand that I should hold control, and click on the cells in the order I need to move through them. Then, I press ctrl+F3 and give a name to the tab order. What next? How do I call back that tab order to use when I open up a specific document? Thanks! Once you've set up the name, then you press CTRL+G and type in the name of the range. This will select the cells. (Or type the name of the range in the "Name" box at the left end of the formula bar.) On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 20:17:02 -0700, "Amb...

Excel to Word : Paste special>Paste Link> Excel Chart Obj doesn't
When I copy a chart from an Excell 2007 file and paste it as: Paste Special > Paste link > Microsoft Office Excel Chart Object I get a blank white picture (with gridlines in middle and a red (x) in the top left corner). It does not show correctly. However, the link is working correctly. after troubleshooting: I noticed that if I paste the same chart with 2700 rows of data the chart shows properly. But when I go above the 2700 rows of data the chart does not display properly. when I pasted the chart with the original 47000 rows of data it was not diplaying proper...