Panasonic HDC-SD5 AVCHD 3CCD Flash Memory High Definition Camcorder with 10x Optical Image Stabilization w/DVD Burner

Price:Too low to display
Image: http://thediscountguru.info/image.php?id=B000YT5R28
Best deal: http://thediscountguru.info/index.php?id=B000YT5R28

Works great but in low light conditions the video isn't that great. Well lit and sunny areas the HandyCam captures great HD video.
I have owned the camera for 2 weeks now and am returning it. I currently own 3 other video cameras, but this is my forst HD camera.

Everything about the camera is wonderful except for one MAJOR flaw, there is a high pitched whine when I play back the vodeo through the camera. It is quite noticeable to say the least and simply unacceptable for a camera in this range. There is no tape transport, no hard drive....in fact no moving parts at all,  nothing I can think of to be making the whine.
Perhaps it is only the particular one that I have purchased, as the other reviews seem fine.....I did see a proffesional review somewhere that had the same problem.........maybe I have that actual camera ....lol.
Very light camcorder.
It was a concern for me about editing avchd:
The included software (HD writer) is not very powerful, but it's ok to save your video in HD format.
I use video studio pro x2 to edit in AVCHD without any problem with my laptop(window vista, 3GB memory)
The quality of the picture is not very good in low light situation.
It's an excellent flash memory HD camcorder for the price

Up until this camcorder I was recording off of the HDV format. With the emergence of Blue-Ray as the winner of the HD war, I decided to switch.  After much research, I bought this model refurbished from Amazon Warehouse Deals. The first one arrived without a battery, so I returned it. The second one arrived in great condition (except for a tattered box) with all parts accounted for.  This is my second transaction with Amazon Warehouse Deals for a refurbished product, and I think they offer great value if you can live with the fact that the box has been opened and may not be in the best of shape.

I only shoot family events (vacations, birthdays, etc.) but I wanted to make sure that all of our personal, memorable moments could be viewed for years to come in as best quality as affordably possible.  So, along with this camcorder I also bought a Panasonic DMP-BD30K Blue-Ray DVD player, plus the Panasonic VW-BN1 DVD burner.  I couldn't be happier with my choice for all three.  Now I have a fairly simple process for taking family videos, saving them to disc, and playing them in the Blue-Ray format.

As others have mentioned, the HDC-SD5 takes outstanding video outside in bright light, but is not so great indoors, in low light situations.  I was torn for quite some time between this one and the HDC-SD1, because the SD1 has quite a few features the SD5 doesn't, namely a microphone input jack, 5.1 Dolby sound instead of only stereo, 12X zoom instead of 10X, and larger image sensors for better low light performance (1/4" instead of 1/6").  One advantage of the SD5 over the SD1, though, is its resolution, with full HD output at 1920 X 1080 compared to 1440 X 1080 with the SD1.   I am admittedly not sure how much difference this makes, or if this compensates for the smaller CCD sensors in the SD5.  Regardless, what finally sold me on the SD5 was simply its compatibility with the VW-BN1 burner, which I believe from internet readings the SD1 does not have and which I consider to be about the greatest thing since night baseball.  It is SO EASY now to transfer my recordings to a DVD-R disc in full Blue-Ray HD.  Since they are unedited, they transfer "warts and all" but I don't usually edit my home videos anyway. Maybe some day I will, but for family footage I just never bothered with it. With the BW-BN1 burner about 40 minutes of recorded video only takes about 20 to 30 minutes and voila! My memories are stored on DVD.  An amazing feature, in my book.

My only dislikes about the SD5 are no viewfinder, which is starting to be more and more common for small camcorders, and the quirky placement of the input jacks for the HDMI and the USB connection, which are beneath a panel under the hand strap; very awkward.  You also have to put in a fake battery that is connected to the power cord for AC hook-up, which causes you to have to insert this fake battery in the battery slot on the BOTTOM of the camcorder, run the cord through the battery cover via a tiny slot in the cover in order to close the cover, in order to operate the camcorder, that lay in the house that Jack built. It won't turn on with the cover open.  Really goofy, no?  You also cannot utilize the USB via battery power (which also means you can't operate the VW-BN1 burner via battery power) so you have to go through this exercise every time you want to do anything with USB connectivity.  Presumably this "USB via AC power only" rule is so you will not lose power during a file transfer, etc, so I can understand the rationale behind it, but the placement of the jacks and the AC hookup process really makes it a pain.

The SD card slot is also on the bottom, by the battery, so you have to open the battery cover every time you want to remove/replace it (you access card slot  on the SD1 model via the flip-out LCD screen). The Panasonic Blue-Ray player I bought will read video right off of the card, so I find myself accessing it often, and it's also less than convenient.

As much as it may sound as though I am knocking this camcorder, I am very happy with the purchase and love shooting video with it, largely because I view it as part of my overall system (camcorder, burner, player).  As mentioned before, the video quality is outstanding, but only so-so in low light.  The sound is also excellent, despite the downgrade to stereo from 5.1. However, if the SD1 would work with the VW-BN1 burner, I would have gone that route. As a final comment, I will NEVER go back to mini tapes now that I have gotten used to the SD cards, which seem to be dropping in price almost every day.

Anyway, I hope this long-winded review helps you in your decision making, thanks for reading!

THIS VIDEO CAMERA IS THE BEST IVE EVER USED,TRUE BLU RAY HIGH DEF,BRIGHT COLOR AND CRISP PICTURE.I USE A 16GB SDHC CARD,YOU DO NEED A BLU RAY PLAYER FOR HD,BUT YOU CAN ALSO RECORD IN STANDARD 640X480 WHICH CAN BE WATCHED 0N ANY DVD PLAYER!GREAT VALUE UNDER $800.
You've got the widescreen TV. Now consider the camcorder you're going to get. Let's say you bought a 1080i HDTV. Doesn't it make sense to get a 1080i camcorder? Panasonic's HDC-SD5 is by far one of the most comfortable camcorders you will ever hold. At less than 1 pound, this cylinder-shaped camcorder reaches 1080i resolution in 16:9 widescreen for true HD play on HDTV sets. The tiny size and lightweight is due to the media it uses for memory. A removable SD or SDHC card. This card format is about the size of a postage stamp but can hold from 1GB up to 8GB memory. Because they're easily replaceable, you can carry additional SD cards with you for more memory. About 6 of these cards weigh about an ounce for true mobility.  The SD5 features Advanced O.I.S. and the 3CCD camera system. Advanced O.I.S. prevents blurry images caused by unsteady hands as you shoot, so images are clear, sharp and beautiful when displayed on a big TV screen. The 3CCD camera system is used in most professional broadcasting equipment because it draws out the full potential of the camera's high image quality. The USB Host function lets you use your DVD burner to copy and play recorded images in their original AVCHD format. The data can also be easily edited on a PC by using the included software, and the finished result can be saved onto a DVD disc or other media in either AVCHD or MPEG-2 format. One of the new functions, called Pre-Rec, simplifies shooting and prevents mistakes. Pre-Rec records the image for 3 seconds before you even start shooting, so you're sure to capture unexpected actions that you would otherwise miss. Intelligent Contrast Control helps render natural-looking, highly nuanced images with proper contrast.  Still photo mode with built-in electronic-flash    1/30 - 1/8000 (Motion Picture), 1/30-1/8000 (Progressive 1/30 - 1/500) (Still Picture)    Auto and Manual Focus    SD Memory card slot   Recording time up to HG -  80

SIMILAR PRODUCTS:

 Transcend 8 GB SDHC Class 6 Flash Memory Card TS8GSDHC6:http://thediscountguru.info/index.php?id=B000P9ZBFA
 Transcend 4 GB SDHC Class 6 Flash Memory Card TS4GSDHC6:http://thediscountguru.info/index.php?id=B000JMJWV2
 SanDisk SDSDRH-008G-A11 Ultra II 8GB/15MB SDHC Card (Black):http://thediscountguru.info/index.php?id=B000OFTRKU
 Transcend 16 GB SDHC Class 6 Flash Memory Card with Card Reader TS16GSDHC6-S5W:http://thediscountguru.info/index.php?id=B0010Z28XG
 Sandisk MicroMate SD/SDHC Reader (Black):http://thediscountguru.info/index.php?id=B000RG9RPQ

ACCESSORIES:

 Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9:http://thediscountguru.info/index.php?id=B001CPFWI2
 Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum Pro Pack:http://thediscountguru.info/index.php?id=B001CPHTAQ
 Pinnacle Studio Ultimate Version 11 [OLD VERSION]:http://thediscountguru.info/index.php?id=B000PS6QY6
 Corel VideoStudio Pro X2:http://thediscountguru.info/index.php?id=B001EJTO8A
 Roxio Creator 2009:http://thediscountguru.info/index.php?id=B001EUG3BU
0
Alattar (1)

High speed usb isochronous transfer
Hi All, WDK documentation says that Client driver should send multiple of eight packets for high speed isochronous transfer. It doesn't say that what should be size of each packet. let say maximum packet size of endpoint is 1024 and application wants to send 2048 bytes in transfer. WDK help page link :ms-help://MS.WDK.v10.7600.090618.01/Buses_d/hh/Buses_d/usb-io_72289110-c340-41be-aa92-2542a76b56b2.xml.htm In this case driver can handle request two ways: Case 1 : Send each packet of 1024 and rest of the packets to ZLP( Zero length packet) Case 2 : 2048/8 and ...

Hover Message/Flashing Message
Hi I have two requests: 1) How do I create a hover message when a pointer moves over a cell? 2) How do I create a flashing warning Message in a cell? Thanks Brian #1. Maybe you can use a comment. Insert|Comment (xl2003 menu system) #2. Check out Chip Pearson's site: http://cpearson.com/excel/BlinkingText.aspx "brian.baker13@googlemail.com" wrote: > > Hi > > I have two requests: > > 1) How do I create a hover message when a pointer moves over a cell? > > 2) How do I create a flashing warning Message in a cell? > > Thanks &g...

figure out filename of embedded object (flash) in office documents
dear all, im am searching for a way to figure out the filename of an embedded flash game within a powerpoint-file. Is there a easy way to get the name of this object? regards Peter In article <01F29426-CE40-4A87-9ED7-956DDE6DEE88@microsoft.com>, Peter Falk wrote: > dear all, > > im am searching for a way to figure out the filename of an embedded flash > game within a powerpoint-file. Is there a easy way to get the name of this > object? Rightclick the object, choose Properties and look for the "Movie" property. ...

out of memory problems with Outlook 2002 after Office Update
Yesterday I ran the Office Update through the Microsoft web site, and now my Outlook 2002 (Windows XP), keeps displaying the "Out of Memory or low on System Resources" message. I reboot, close all other tasks, and even check my CPU usage, and my system is ok, all other applications run fine. But with Outlook, I can basically do 1-2 tasks on a clean boot (i.e. check mail, read one message), then Outlook stops working. Can't read the calender, read an email or delete an email, just the same out of memoory message. Just to be safe, I have also run virus scan using the l...

How to get top to bottom image of an Excel worksheet
I would like to know how I can get an image of an Excel work sheet from the title bar down to the bottom of the sheet down to the status line. Then I want to superimpose text an arrows on it for a presentation. bobs Hit ALT + PrtScn(print screen) button to copy the window to the Clipboard. Open Paint or your favorite graphics editor and "paste" in there. If using Paint, you can then draw arrows in Excel using the Drawing Toolbar and the Arrow button. Draw an arrow on a worksheet then copy it and paste onto the picture in Paint. Text can be added directly in Paint. Gord Dibbe...

Outlook 2003 Image Blocking
I love image blocking in Outlook 2003! This is just fantastic. However, I do believe MS missed one loophole: The Image Blocker rules include the following option: - Warn me before downloading content when editing, forwarding, or replying to e-mail. But what about printing? And indeed printing the message downloads the images without any warning. Oops! And here's a wish list request: How about giving us the option to edit, forward, reply to, or print *without* downloading images? I got a Citibank fraud e-mail, an attempt to phish out my account numbers, and I couldn't forward it to...

how to make a cdc from a hdc ?
I have a HDC, is it possible to make a CDC from it? thanks, bn You can do this: CDC cDC; cDC.Attach(hdc); tankc "bn" <b@b.com> wrote in message news:%23tSzyNJ$EHA.3372@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > I have a HDC, is it possible to make a CDC from it? > > thanks, > bn > > tthere aretwo ways CDC dc; dc.Attach(hdc); //do ur stuff dc.Detach(); or CDC dc=CDC::FromHandle(hdc); //no need to detach. "bn" wrote: > I have a HDC, is it possible to make a CDC from it? > > thanks, > bn > > > The second one sho...

Linked header and footer file/image
Hi, I am trying to find a way to link all of our publisher documents to stored header & footer images or files. I surpose this is a dynamic document. e.g. If I want to change a telephone number on the footer, I would edit one file, and this would replicate across all documents (much the same way a website is designed). We have recently changed the footer on our documents, saved and printed to ..pdf. Then I have had to make a small change to the footer, which is very time consuming to go through the many files we have. I would like to implement dynamic documents so our header...

How to move music from flash drive
Help! I have an HP Pavilion laptop with Vista (unfortunately) and want to move my music files to my new Asus Netbook with XP via a flash drive. The files show up in My Music but not in the Media Player Library, even after several attempts, closing program and shutting down puter. I need very specific directions and have nothing online to help so far. On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 09:15:01 -0800, geogypsy <geogypsy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Help! I have an HP Pavilion laptop with Vista (unfortunately) and want to >move my music files to my new Asus Netbook with XP via...

Printing doc to Document Image Writer then displays in image viewe
Greets all. I’m programmatically printing a Word Document to the Office Document Image Writter. After calling the wordDocument.PrintOut( ) method, the image of the document is then displayed inside of my default image viewer (which in this case, is IrfanView 4.2). Is there a way to suppress the “shelling out” and just process the document? Any help is appreciated! TIA. Environment: Office Document version: 2007 Visual Studio 2005 ...

Outlook XP (2002) background image tile
I send email out in HTML format; in only one case the recipient's Outlook XP renders the stationary image incorrectly. Instead of the company's image header appearing in the top left of the email body, it is tiled all over the page obscuring the message. I have not had this problem before even on older versions. The recipient gets emails through MS Exchange (I think so at least. Any help much appreciated. Regards, Purg. If it's only one person getting it wrong, it's likely that person's configuration. I don't think Exchange is the issue (but it might be - thi...

USB flash drive. can not copy file without losing properties
i read an old post that discussed this issue but nothing seem to work. So, have some questions to clarify. I down loaded some MP3. Some will copy to a flash drive 2gb which is FAT, another 16gb is exFAT and copied without a hitch but some will not from the hard disk which is NTFS I have some 64gb flash drives and when I went from the NTFS HD to the 64gb. I lost lots of data and it corrupted even more. If we have 2gb, 16gb, 32gb, 64gb, what is the rules? Will I have the same issues if i go back to XP pro as I have had nothing but problems with VISTA as My Mother is not here t...

CRichEditCtrl
Hi Guys, I use a CRichEditCtrl derived class in my project. I add text with a CRichEditCtrl ::ReplaceSel() call and images using IRichEditOle::InsertObject(). In order to keep the size of the content of the CRichEditCtrl object manageable, I remove the first half of the lines from the control from time to time. The memory used by those lines is not released though. The application uses more and more memory. Given enough time, the whole memory will be usede by my application. How can I fix this problem? I checked several suspects: There are no memory leaks. If I disable the control, th...

GDI OnPaint DCs and memory leaks
I am tracking down a memory leak. So I wanna make sure I got everything right... I have an AbstractDialog class with void AbstractDialog::OnPaint() { CPaintDC dc(this); OnDraw(dc); } void AbstractDialog::OnDraw( CPaintDC& dc ) { } and each Dialog can now easily override the OnDraw method. AFAIU overriding OnPaint() is not a good idea if you have a deeper inheritance because the paint message should only be sent once. Now in my dialog class I have e.g.: void MyDialog::OnDraw( CPaintDC& dc ) { CDC memDC; memDC.CreateCompatibleDC(&dc); ... ...

The young golfer from Wales believes "Discipline is definitely learned and gets better with practice."
The young golfer from Wales believes "Discipline is definitely learned and gets better with practice." Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead. http://shenrilaa.googlepages.com/ ...

Display different images on Switchboard
I have a Switchboard form on which I have been displaying a small picture of our office in the upper left hand corner. Now we have a branch office and they would like a picture of their office to display. How can I display the correct picture depending on which office opens the Switchboard menu? When the Switchboard opens, I have a field that tells me which office I'm dealing with but I just don't know how to get the correct picture, of the two, on the form. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/200710/1 ...

how to concat from another table field w/in my select?
Lets say I have 3 tables: t_Process and t_Task. Every process has tasks. For example, the process of Change Management has multiple tasks: Getting the fix programmed, tested etc. So there's a 1-many relationship between tasks and processes. Now my question: t_Task has a field called 'system'. This means, what system is this task associated with. I want a query to show for each Process, all the systems that apply to it, in 1 CELL - separated by commas. In other words, I want it to show for a given row: Cell 1: Change Management Cell 2: VB App1, Powerbuilder App2, ....

flash the cell contents in excel to draw attention
how do I do it with excel from office 2003. I am using XP prof Continuous flashing will slow down your Excel application considerably not to mention become quite annoying. But if your stubborn, here's a link to some code from MVP Robert Rosenberg that I found in the google archives: http://tinyurl.com/4oxmp HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >how do I do it with excel from office 2003. I am using XP prof >. > ...

how to convert panasonic, canon , sony m2ts files on mac os
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel M2TS converter for Mac can freely convert m2ts files to mp4, avi, rm, rmvb, m4v, swf , mkv, mov, mpg, wmv, flv, dv, 3gp/3g2, flv, hd video( hd mp4,avi, mov, mpg, wmv) etc and import m2ts to iPad, iPod, iPhone, iMovie, iTunes, FCE , Adobe Premiere ,YouTube etc directly with no additional application. <br> Using m2ts converting tool Mac, you can extract audio from video and save as mp3/mp2, ra, wav, wma, aiff, aac, ac3, amr, m4a, mka etc and edit m2ts through crop, split, trim, effect etc. <br> Tips: m2ts i...

Estimating application memory requirements
Our company has an app that is heavily dependent Sqlserver. Our test server is 64 bit with 32gb of RAM. I am hoping to find a minimum amount of RAM to recommend to our clients. If i set the MAX server memory value low and then increase that value with the same load, and watch the Sql memory stats will i be able to find the point at which more memory to the process isn't adding value? i am using this for performance counter values http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Performance+Tuning/analyzingmemoryrequirementsforsqlserver/2498/ which looks a lot like this one htt...

Background image size problems
So with Publisher 2003, I'm able to insert jpeg images into the background of my booklet (by Format-Background-More Backgrounds-Picture), but they are sizing inconsistently on different pages. I size them all in Photoshop, same res (in this case, 200dpi) same image size (6.5in x 11in). One image inserts beautifully, the other crops down to the upper left-hand corner of the image, and blows that portion up to 6.5 x 11. I cannot seem to find any other differences in the two images that would account for this. Help! And thanks... ...

Low memory message
document saved successfuly, Cannot reopen the saved document due to low memory,Please close the document. Hi Robert does restarting Excel or rebooting your computer help (also clear your temp directory) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Robert Glica wrote: > document saved successfuly, Cannot reopen the saved > document due to low memory,Please close the document. I will try clearing my temp directory, But this problem i think is on the server side. The spreadsheet is located on another server in my company. Thanks >-----Original Message----- >Hi Robert >does r...

Provide a "high/low" chart (stock chart) in horizontal mode
An ability to provide a "high/low" chart similar to a stock chart in a horizontal mode would provide an ability to compare values in a minimum and maximum mode. For example, nonlethal weapons have a minimum safe distance and a maximum effective range. Reaction times have a minimum cognition time and a maximum response time. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link...

flash in VC++
hi I am working in a dialog based MFC application. I want to play flash movie inside the dialog box. Is there any control available for this ? thanks anu If Flash is an ActiveX control, you can do it as you would for any other ActiveX control, using its methods and properties after creating it(in resource editor or dynamically). There is nothing in MFC which is explicitly tied to Flash. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "anu" <anu@transversalnet.com> wrote in message news:026c01c380d5$5f508e10$a001280a@phx.gbl... > hi > > I am working in a dial...

Printer Driver for Panasonic KX-P2124
Customer located a used Panasonic KX-P2124 (with no users manual) to print AP checks in Great Plains 9.0 because it was on the compatibility list. However, it prints the "check with stup on top" as if it were an 8.5 X 11 form. I set the records per page in the header to 8 from 12. That did not make a difference. The printer driver does not allow for a custom paper size. Does anyone have a printer driver for this printer for Windows XP that includes a custom paper size choice? Thanks Ginny ...