overlay two graphs with different x axis

hi there i'm having trouble trying to overlay 2 graphs together, the
are shown below.

'cost graph
(http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/4893/costgraph7bj.jpg)

'phase graph
(http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/976/phasegraph5oo.jpg)

the data used is shown here:

'data' (http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/8226/data1vl.jpg)

for the cost graph, it is a standard line graph: y axis is I9:I24,
axis is K9:K24

for the phase graph, it is a stacked column graph with a hidden dat
series: y axis is stacked K3:K6 and L3:L6, and the x axis is G3:G6

is it possible to overlay these graphs together given the y axis ar
the same

thanks!
pete

--
iconic8
iconic83's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2639

Make the chart with both sets of data. Double click one series, and on
the Axis tab, select Secondary. Go to Chart Options on the Chart menu,
choose Axes tab, uncheck secondary Y axis but check secondary X axis.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

iconic83 wrote:
> hi there i'm having trouble trying to overlay 2 graphs together, they
> are shown below.
>
> 'cost graph'
> (http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/4893/costgraph7bj.jpg)
>
> 'phase graph'
> (http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/976/phasegraph5oo.jpg)
>
> the data used is shown here:
>
> 'data' (http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/8226/data1vl.jpg)
>
> for the cost graph, it is a standard line graph: y axis is I9:I24, x
> axis is K9:K24
>
> for the phase graph, it is a stacked column graph with a hidden data
> series: y axis is stacked K3:K6 and L3:L6, and the x axis is G3:G6
>
> is it possible to overlay these graphs together given the y axis are
> the same
>
> thanks!
> peter

hi jon i can't get it to work. i've tried making a stacked column graph
and standard line graph with both sets of data... would you please
provide more details?

thanks!
peter

--
iconic83
iconic83's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26395

Make your stacked column chart. Copy the data for the line series,
select the chart, and use Edit menu > Paste Special to add the series.
Select the new series, and go to Chart menu > Chart Type to change it to
a line. Double click this new line series, and on the Axis tab, choose
Secondary. Now go to Chart menu > Chart Options, and on the Axes tab,
choose the assortment of axes you need.

- Jon
-------

iconic83 wrote:

> hi jon i can't get it to work. i've tried making a stacked column graph
> and standard line graph with both sets of data... would you please
> provide more details?
>
> thanks!
> peter

Merging Different worksheets
Hi I am trying to merge two worksheets with some columns having the same heading while others have a different heading into a single worksheet. See the example below: Worksheet 1: Server Name......Server Use......Server Location.......Memory Worksheet 2: Server Name.....Server Use.....Server Owner....Comments Expected Single Worksheet: Server Name...Server Use....Server Location....Memory....Server Owner...Comments. I would like to do this without lossing any data. Can anyone help? Hello, this may help ... http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=15 -- firefyt ----------...

Multiple data overlay
I have 4 sets of data that span the same period of time, 1 week, but all data points were not collected at the same time, nor at the same interval. So, for the first set of data I may have 400 points, while for the second set of data - 700 points, etc. Time is on the X axis and the values are on the Y axis. When plotting my 4 data sets, the plots do not coincide i.e. they are all different lengths along the X axis. Thanks in advance for any help -- Mark Mark: Since trend charts plot data against time, you are trying to make a trend chart. Use an XY chart, with date/time on X axis. ...

Delta between two tables: This script is one way, but can MERGE work?
SQL 2008. Need to create deltas between two tables. I love the MERGE statement, and obviously, it knows the delta, because it can synch two tables. Is there a way to get MERGE to just spit out the delta into a table rather than applying it? To see what I want, run the script, and look at the 5 delta rows it produces. I don't think I want to use CDC, because the tables that for which I have to compute the delta are actually based on other, periodic feeds, and I can't watch them for changes. I am definitely open to ideas, but the kind that say "Hey, you should con...

Hidden data on graphs
I have charts on my spreadsheet that look fine until I hide the columns that contain the plotted data and then the graphs blank out. If I unhide the columns with the data then the graphs come back into life. Any way around this problem. Thanks Hi tony, Select the chart and then on the menus go to Tools > Options on the options dialog select the Chart tab. Uncheck Plot visible cells only You should now be able to hide columns and still keep the data in the chart. tonysummerfield@aol.com wrote: > I have charts on my spreadsheet that look fine until I > hide the columns that ...

Axis Values Keep changing
I have a scientific table of values containing time increments as column entries (0, .5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, etc.). There is a corresponding record entry for each of these time increments. When I attempt to create a CHART, however, that range of values changes to 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.). I've played with changing the increment values to number format, and I can't seem to get beyond what excel's chart wizard insists upon doing to this range of values. Any suggestions? You have been making a LINE chart when you need an XY chart best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP htt...

subtracting two pivot table data fields
Hi, I have a pivot table wherein i have two column labels and two data fields. Now, i want to display another row which contains the difference of the two data fields corresponding to its respective column label. The two data fields are being displayed as a count of the column values in the data source. Please help me out as to how can i display the subtracted value of the two cells in the cell below them in the pivot table. Regards, Alok Alok;893464 Wrote: > Hi, I have a pivot table wherein i have two column labels and two data > > fields. Now, i want to display another ...

Adding cell contents in different worksheets
Im creating a computerised rota system for my job which has 52 worksheets in the workbook. On each worksheet will be a "Tax To Date" cell where the total tax paid to date will be entered. Does anyone know how i can take the number from, say, cell A2(worksheet1) and add it to the cell A1(worksheet2) and display the result in cell A2(worksheet2) and so on through the 52 worksheets. Each worksheet is renamed 1 to 52 and each worksheet is currently identical except the values to be inserted. Any help on this would be great and could you please simplify any formulas because im not t...

Combine two charts
Can I combine two charts, ie make the top chart opaque Hi, In order to make the top chart transparent you need to format the chart area to have no area pattern. Double click the chart and pick Format. The Area property is on the Pattern tab. Can you not combine the 2 charts into a single one? Cheers Andy Glen Sturman wrote: > Can I combine two charts, ie make the top chart opaque -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Printing chart
I have been successfully printing out charts for quite some time. Now anything below the x-axis is not being printed. Print preview shows the whole charte area and everything looks good, but when printed there is nothing there. It is printing the footer fine. I have not upgraded anything recently, but there may have been some auto updates??? Any ideas? Thanks, LK Hi, Have a read of this, http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/AxisLabelCutOff.html Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "LK" <LK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

display of photo attachments in Outlook is different to OE
Hi, I recently switch from OE to Outlook and one of the differences I found was that attached photo's are no longer being automatically opened as I had in OE. For instance, in OE, when I received an email with several attached photos, these photo's we visible on the email page and could all be seen as I scroll down the page. But with Outlook, I no longer seem to have this option and I have to individually double click on each and every photo in order to see it. I've tried looking in the Outlook help file. But couldn't find and answer. Is it possible to have this optio...

How do you print a page of labels, all different
I am attempting to creat a page of labels, all different names instead of one label on the entire page. How do I do this? Mail merge -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "mutzie" <mutzie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4DA54B74-C109-487D-A142-08765886B424@microsoft.com... >I am attempting to creat a page of labels, all different names instead of >one > label on the entire page. How do I do this? Mail merge assistance http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/CH010504371033.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft....

MSCRM with two companies
Hello, we plan to install MS CRM 3.0 with two companies. Is it possible to do it with two business units (BU)? According to the documentation this should be possible, the two BUs should not intefere. However - real life is more complicated than nice manuals.=20 So my question is: Are there side effects running two BUs with two independent companies? Ulrich The two business units will still have to share the same forms. You won't be able to have one contact form for one BU and a different form for the other, for example. You will also have workflow in common between the two BUs. If t...

How do I draw a semilog graph?
I would like to draw a graph, where the x-axis is log scale, and y-axis is linear scale. How can I do that? Same as you would for the Y scale. Double click on the relevant axis to get the Format axis function. Scale tab, select log scale. You will, of course, need to be using a numerical X axis, not a category, so it's an XY chart that you need. -- David Biddulph "irenetlp" <irenetlp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21191681-1208-4DA8-8203-B737CEBC51C9@microsoft.com... >I would like to draw a graph, where the x-axis is log scale, and y-axis is ...

Arrange fonts in Axis?
Dear all, There is anyway to change the format of the fonts form the y or x Axis? For example i have in X axis q1, q2, q3, q4 There is anyway to have q1 with blue or bold fonts? Thanks in advance Manos Hi Manos, As used for a previous post. http://www.andypope.info/ngs/ng18.htm And this page has a few more techniques that could be used. http://www.andypope.info/charts/staggeredlabels.htm Cheers Andy Manos wrote: > Dear all, > > There is anyway to change the format of the fonts form > the y or x Axis? > > For example i have in X axis q1, q2, q3, q4 > > T...

Linking two cells in two books
Hi, I have two workbooks. In Book1, I want A2 to be exactly the same as B1 in Book2. The problem is that every night, I run a program which updates Book2, inserting a new row 1, so the value in B1 is now pushed down to be the value in B2 and a new value is inserted into in B1. I want this new value in B1 to be reflected in A2 (Book1). That is, for A2 (Book1) to always be the same value as B1 (Book2), even when B1 becomes a new row with a new value. I thought I would be okay if I used dollar signs, so for A2 in Book1, I have: ='[Book2.xls]AA'!$B$1 But it doesn'...

Physically moving RAID volumes between two servers
I wasn't really sure where to post this, and I realize it isn't a Windows issue, but... We have two Dell servers (PowerEdge 2900 and PowerEdge 2900 II), but running Windows 2003. Both servers have a RAID 1 for OS and a RAID 5 for Data. I'd like to take the RAID 5 off the old server and move to the new server and retain all data. Yes, I do have a backup, but I'd prefer not to have to restore. I understand RAID data is written to the drives, so I thought maybe I could do this with little headache, but I don't have a system to try this on. Does anyone know if thi...

Synchronizing PST files on two PCs
I have Outlook 2002 installed on both a desktop and notebook. When on the road I use the notebook and when at home the desktop. I use Outlook to access a POP email account. I'd like to be able to synchronize the contents of PST files from desktop to notebook before a trip and from Notebook back to the Desktop when I return, without having to completely overwrite the PST files each time. Is there any way to do this? Take a look here, it may help: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion i...

Line Graphs #3
Is there a way to shade the area between two lines in a line graph, while leaving the rest unshaded? Yep, try this: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/XYAreaChart2.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/ Advanced Excel Conference - June 17-18 2009 - Charting and Programming http://peltiertech.com/Training/2009-06-ACNJ/AdvExcelConf200906ACNJ.html _______ "SecretaryII" <SecretaryII@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:96672ABF-085A-4B98-9CA6-2302A9F458B4@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to shade...

How do I overlay a spreadsheet ?
I want to overlay the view of a spreadsheet with the word 'draft' leaving the data visible through the comment. Ideally this will be a diagonal text in a large font. Is this possible? Hi see: http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0005.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Bingo" <Bingo@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:79CFAB39-45FD-4E60-A521-A580C7E1F9FF@microsoft.com... > I want to overlay the view of a spreadsheet with the word 'draft' leaving the > data visible through the comment. Ideally this will be a diagonal ...

Extract different strings from a cell?
If I have "100BDDDABAABD" in a cell and I'd like to extract the last 10 characters and put each character into a different cells. Then, the first rest of characters (first 3 in this case) into another cell. How do I do that in Excel? Thanks, Since you said "first 3 in this case", I'll assume that the number of characters will vary in each cell. With data in A1, enter this in B1, and copy across to K1: =MID(RIGHT($A1,10),COLUMNS($A:A),1) Then, in L1, enter this for the remaining characters: =LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-10) -- HTH, RD -----------------------------------...

How do I define X-axis stepping?
Hi, I would like to chart some data. For illustrative purposes, let's sa that it looks like this: Code ------------------- MONEY DONORS (X) (Y) $1000 5 $50 7 $1 2 ------------------- I would like to make an Area Graph of the data. However, when I d this, the X axis is divided into three even parts, one for $1000, on for $50, and one for $1 -- that is to say, the gap between $1 and $5 is the same size as the gap between $50 and $1000. I would instea like to see the width of the graph dedicated to the full range o possible values, $1 to $1000, with the midpoint bein...

signing in from more two computer
I would like to know how can I sign in from two places without displaying on the status that available in two places. In another word, PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW CAN I DISABLE dispaly status NOT TO SHOW LOGIN FROM TWO COMPUTERS / TWO PLACES. Greetings, Short answer: You can't. Long answer: Technically it's possible, but those with the knowledge/skill-set probably aren't interested as it's hard to really see a legitimate purpose for doing this. -- Jonathan Kay Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger MessengerGeek Blog: http://...

how to reference different workbooks/sheets in formula?
i have 30 different workbooks, each workbook has >20 individual sheets. i have a list with two columns, one is the name of the workbooks, and one is the name of each sheets. here is what i want to do. i want to do a count on 'column z' on every sheets. (column z on every sheets has n number of data, i want to count how many.) ie, column a column b column c (sheets) (workbooks) (number of data point) -------- ----------- ---------------------- g-1 a.xls =count('[a.xls]g-1'!$z:$z) g-2 a.xls =count('[a.xls]g-2'!$z:$z) g-3 a.x...

Suddenly -- Two PERSONAL FOLDERS???
Hi, All of a sudden, I have 2 Personal Folders!!!! They seem identical, and I cannot get rid of one or the other. * The only thing recently changed is the installation of XP SP-2. * All previous XP-Pro updates have been installed * Running Outlook 2000, and all updates are installed (never had any problems with these...they were installed "long ago." Thank you for your help! "Howie" ...

Comparing two tables
hey just a short question :-D I have two tables, one with a list with 1330 entries and one with 720 entries, the 720 are all in the big list as well, is there a way to write the 610 entries from the big list that arent in the small list into another excel table without doing it one by one ? thanks in advance Peter PEter, try to use the "VLOOKUP" function...it will help you to identify with values are in both tables (sheets)... so you can mark the values that are in both tables and separete then easily... i don´t know if you know the VLOOKUP function...if you don´...