Overlaid Charts

Hi, you'll like this one.  I've overlaid an X-Y scatter
chart with another that contains different source data.  I
formatted the background of the "top" chart so that when I
click back onto the spreadsheet, I can see both plots. The
reason I did this is that my second source of data (top
chart) is not of the same type as the first source and I
didn't know how to create two separate "Y"'s for an X-Y
scatter plot.  My question is, moving forward in this
mode, is there a way to select and format the "bottom"
chart other than moving the top one slightly out of the
way to allow me to select it?  Alternately, is there a way
to do an X-Y scatter plot with two Y axes?  I'm trying to
maintain scaleabilty in time on my X axis which is why I'm
not using a "line" type plot.
0
anonymous (74718)

There's a useful, but well hidden, tool that you can use to select objects:

1. Choose Tools>Customize
2. Select the Commands tab
3. Select the Drawing Category
4. Drag the 'Select Multiple Objects' tool onto one of your toolbars
5. Click Close

Then, click the Select Multiple Objects button, and select any or all
objects on the worksheet.

Or, to create a secondary Y axis, select one of the series in the chart
Choose Format>Selected Data Series
On the Axis tab, select Secondary axis
Click OK

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
4/9/2004 11:36:30 PM
that is an useful tool.  But what are the various circumstance one can use
this tool
Besides only embedded charts are shown as object in thae <selected multiple
objects>window.

Debra Dalgleish <dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com> wrote in message
> There's a useful, but well hidden, tool that you can use to select
objects:

> 1. Choose Tools>Customize
> 2. Select the Commands tab
> 3. Select the Drawing Category
> 4. Drag the 'Select Multiple Objects' tool onto one of your toolbars
> 5. Click Close
>
> Then, click the Select Multiple Objects button, and select any or all
> objects on the worksheet.
>
> Or, to create a secondary Y axis, select one of the series in the chart
> Choose Format>Selected Data Series
> On the Axis tab, select Secondary axis
> Click OK
>
> Reney Langlois wrote:
> > Hi, you'll like this one.  I've overlaid an X-Y scatter
> > chart with another that contains different source data.  I
> > formatted the background of the "top" chart so that when I
> > click back onto the spreadsheet, I can see both plots. The
> > reason I did this is that my second source of data (top
> > chart) is not of the same type as the first source and I
> > didn't know how to create two separate "Y"'s for an X-Y
> > scatter plot.  My question is, moving forward in this
> > mode, is there a way to select and format the "bottom"
> > chart other than moving the top one slightly out of the
> > way to allow me to select it?  Alternately, is there a way
> > to do an X-Y scatter plot with two Y axes?  I'm trying to
> > maintain scaleabilty in time on my X axis which is why I'm
> > not using a "line" type plot.
>

> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

It's a good way to see a summary of all the objects on a sheet,
including those that have been hidden under other objects, or reduced in
size.
To see a list of objects from the control toolbox, enter Design mode.

R.VENKATARAMAN wrote:
> that is an useful tool.  But what are the various circumstance one can use
> this tool
> Besides only embedded charts are shown as object in thae <selected multiple
> objects>window.
>
> Debra Dalgleish <dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com> wrote in message
>
>>There's a useful, but well hidden, tool that you can use to select
>
> objects:
>
>>1. Choose Tools>Customize
>>2. Select the Commands tab
>>3. Select the Drawing Category
>>4. Drag the 'Select Multiple Objects' tool onto one of your toolbars
>>5. Click Close
>>
>>Then, click the Select Multiple Objects button, and select any or all
>>objects on the worksheet.
>>
>>Or, to create a secondary Y axis, select one of the series in the chart
>>Choose Format>Selected Data Series
>>On the Axis tab, select Secondary axis
>>Click OK
>>
>>Reney Langlois wrote:
>>
>>>Hi, you'll like this one.  I've overlaid an X-Y scatter
>>>chart with another that contains different source data.  I
>>>formatted the background of the "top" chart so that when I
>>>click back onto the spreadsheet, I can see both plots. The
>>>reason I did this is that my second source of data (top
>>>chart) is not of the same type as the first source and I
>>>didn't know how to create two separate "Y"'s for an X-Y
>>>scatter plot.  My question is, moving forward in this
>>>mode, is there a way to select and format the "bottom"
>>>chart other than moving the top one slightly out of the
>>>way to allow me to select it?  Alternately, is there a way
>>>to do an X-Y scatter plot with two Y axes?  I'm trying to
>>>maintain scaleabilty in time on my X axis which is why I'm
>>>not using a "line" type plot.
>>

>>--
>>Debra Dalgleish
>>Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

0
dsd1 (5911)

charting in VBE
Hi I heard that it was possible to add charts to VBA userforms (through active X controls). Does anybody know of a good source to get templates from and the code to drive the data???? If it cannot be done, let me know if someone is pulling my leg ;-> PEACE -- shnim1 Hi, Maybe they were referring to the OWC (Office Web Component). http://www.excelkb.com/article.aspx?id=10189&query=owc+chart The example says VB6 but you should be able to adapt for VBA. Cheers Andy shnim1 wrote: > Hi > > I heard that it was possible to add charts to VBA userforms (through > activ...

Move a single org chart shape
This is a simple question (I hope). I am trying to reduce the vertical space between the shapes at the top of my organizational chart. If I try to move or nudge any one of these shapes, all of the shapes below it also move thus making it impossible to close the gap. If I try using the "change spacing" feature, it rearranges all of the shapes in my chart. Any advice would be greatley appreciated. Claudia The change spacing feature has several options, one of which is the Selected Shape. That should allow you to change the spacing for that shape only. So, i...

line chart base to a pivot chart
Hi All, I've just made a pivot table with two pages,28 data,and one row heading. I want to create some line charts on another sheets.how to do it?. I want every time I select a page from my pivot table,the chart will display data form the selected pages.If one chart can display all the data, the rest data will be displayed on another chart> Is it possible?Please advise me how to do it step by step. Thank's ...

% in Charts
Dear all, I have a chart based on data expressed as percentages. I have successfully changed the scale to represent % but would like it to show just figures eg 10, 20, 30 not 10%, 20% 30%. I would also like to increase the length of the axis. Any ideas? Thanks Aardvark, Click any label on the axis (which selects the axis), Right-click, Format Axis. Choose Number, and change the number format to something non-%. As for increasing the length of the axis, I'm not sure what you mean. You can "stretch" the plot area, physically lengthening the axis. Or maybe you want to c...

Recommend 3D charting software
Hi, We are using PowerPoint 2003 and Excel 2003 need to be able to produce animated 3D transparent charts in to be used in PowerPoint presentations to clients. We will be showing the PowerPoint presentation to them and leaving a copy for them to view in their own time, so it is important that the charts will work in PowerPoint without the need for the client to install the add-in or package. I am aware of PowerPoint's and Excel's limitations in this area and wondered if anyone can recommend an add-in or package that would do this job? Cost is an issue as a large number of people ne...

Excel chart
How do you assign the Excel file name automatically in the chart of the file. We are developing a templete file. Each file has 5-10 charts and we would like to have the chart title to include the file name. We are familiar with the header code "&[file]" but it does not work in the title. Thank you, Hi TGreen, Put this formula somewhere on the worksheet. =CELL("filename",A1) This will return the full path\filename. Then select the chart, type = and select the cell withthe formula. That will build a textbox with the filename in the chart. Ed Ferrero http://edferr...

Combination chart - Line
Hello! I am trying to create a combination chart that has bars and a line. The bars should all relate to one axis while the line should relate to the secondary axis. The problem is that when I make the chart, it relegates one of my bars to a line. I can change the axis to the primary where it should be but it is a line, not a bar. I have also tried making a column only chart and add in my line and secondary axis but to no avail. As soon as I put in the secondary axis, Excel converts one of my bars to a line. Any input would be a great help! Thanks, Debbie Hi, Make you own com...

Default font for charts?
Is there a way to designate a specific font to be used on all data points when displaying labels on charts? Each month, I have 53 charts which need to be completed for Sales Analysis, and this is multiplied exponentially at business intervals (quarter, half, year end). I typically prefer to use Small Fonts 7 for my data points, and legends, but Arial Narrow 11 for Titles. Also, I do not wish to "globally" change my default font to Small Fonts, but rather to use only in the charting scenario.... All suggestions welcome! TIA, Sandi Make your own chart template, see http://p...

marimekko chart
Can anybody help me with a marimekko chart? It is a bar chart that has three varialbles. Thanks ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ I've never heard it called that, but it's not too hard. Stephen Bullen has a variable width column chart on his website (http://bmsltd.co.uk and look for FunChrt4.xls), which shows how to vary the width of the columns. Use three series (or however many you need) and make a 100% stacked column chart. For the lines...

Data disappears when I edit the chart.
nI have a x-y chart created from a spreadsheet made last year. There are 5 data series plotted in different color symbols. Now when I try to edit it (change the source data columns), one of the symbol sets for one series just flat disappears--though it is still shown in the legend. There is no difference in the number ranges between the sets so it's not an axis-scale problem. I have copied all the data into a new xls file and re-created the graph. All the data points show up except for that one series--even though its label shows up in the legend, no points. I have made...

Overlaid Charts
Hi, you'll like this one. I've overlaid an X-Y scatter chart with another that contains different source data. I formatted the background of the "top" chart so that when I click back onto the spreadsheet, I can see both plots. The reason I did this is that my second source of data (top chart) is not of the same type as the first source and I didn't know how to create two separate "Y"'s for an X-Y scatter plot. My question is, moving forward in this mode, is there a way to select and format the "bottom" chart other than moving the top on...

Legend on Chart

Demographic chart?

Excel 2007 Line Chart with Markers

Charting/ Graph question

Chart in Chart

How do I create a chart....

Integrated bar chart and line chart
Hi, I have the following columns:- Date of Count (Column T) No. of Bins Counted Average Daily Total (Column U) Number of Goods in Bin Accuracy (Column V) Average Daily (Column W) Percentage of SKU accuracy (Column X) Average Daily Percentage of Lot Code accuracy (Column Y) I am looking to have a combined Bar and Line Graph with the abov columns. I want column T to be on the X Axis, and there to be two axis. Column U will be numeric, and use the first y axis, and column V,W,X will be a percentage figure, which will be related to th secondary y axis. I can't get it to work. Plea...

Chart question #2
I have a chart that gives percentage 10-50 by 5's on y axis and th months May and June on the x axis. I want to add July. How do I d this? Also, In my spreadsheet, I have stats from July thru May(left t right). I need it to show up on the chart as May thru July(left t right) how do i do this. THanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Select the July data, and drag it onto the chart, or copy the July data, select the chart, and choose Edit>Paste To reverse the months -- Double-click on the X-axis In the Format Axis dialog box, select the Scale tab Add a check mark ...

Creating a chart of overlaid area circles?
Can anyone help? I am trying to create a chart that contrasts size by laying 3 different sized circles on top of each other (so it will basically look like a shooting target). I know i can represent this data in other ways but this will have greatest impact for the purpose. Can Excel do this? And if so, how? - Please bear in mind I am not very techy so the simpler the better! Thanks very much Hi, You could use a bubble chart. That takes 3 parameters x,y and size. keep the x and y constant and adjust the size. Cheers Andy m.nutt1 wrote: > Can anyone help? > > I am trying to...

Excel charts when i mouse over a cell
Folks, This is the situation. I have two worksheets, sheet 1 is called WA sheet 2 is called CA now CA is basically a summary sheet where all values are referenced off WA and i need graphs to display in CA based on values of WA. The graphs must be such that when i click on a certain cell, a certain graph pops up. and once i click some cell, the previous graph hides itself and considering the newly clicked cell, either nothing happens or a different graph pops up as the case may be. I had tried this mouse over graph thingy based on a solution that I had gotten here but the thing is it wa...

REPLICATES ON CHART
i"m following an experiment and have several measurements each day under the same conditions> i want to chart all the data (scatter) with a line which shows mw the range or deviation of each day"s data group for each day> i know is a silly question but i cannot find the way could somebody help me with that-- Thanks Alejandro Do you mean you collect a number of reading each day, and you want to chart the average of these plotted against the date together with error bars showing either the min & max or the standard deviation (which) ? Can we assume the dates are in colu...

Datestamp & Paste Chart resolution
In order to be sure of the filename & date that a chart was produced I have to datestamp it with a text field containing: TEXT(NOW(),"YYYY-MMM- DD")&MID(CELL("filename",A1),SEARCH("[",CELL("filename",A1)) +1,SEARCH("]",CELL("filename",A1))-SEARCH("[",CELL("filename",A1))-1) I then paste an image of the chart in PPT. This means that the chart is referenced in no matter which presentation it is used. 1) Is there an easier way to do this? 2) Can the image resolution be adjusted with a registry entry like ...

Pie Chart with other charts representing each slice
Hello, I wasn't sure where to start researching this, so I'm starting here. I have a user who would like to create a pie chart representing totals. She would then like to have "offshoot" charts indicating the values used to arrive at the total for each slice. These separate charts should be positioned next to each slice it represents. Can Excel do this automatically, or will she have to create charts for each slice separately? We are using Excel 2007. Thanks for any suggestions - please let me know if more detail is needed. Hi, Nothing built-in, you will have to c...