Need to create an excel chart 21 depts jan-feb 04-06 how?

I have a list of data that is basically the wages cost per department per
month for 2004 and 2005 and I want to add 2006 to it. I have tried everywhich
way of using the chart wizard in excel with no success and have tried a
pivotchart/table using the wizard with no success. The regular chart will
only display the value on the Y axis and either the department or the month
on the X axis, I cannot get it to do for example Sales and show Jan 04, 05
and 06 next to it (the data is laid out this way). Using the Pivot table all
I get is a total eg 21 departments..............not even a chart just another
sheet with only that info on it! Help please I have spent the past 2 hours
trying to do this one simple thing! should I go back to pen and paper?

If your data are laid out in 3 columns as:
Dept. Month Wages
(or four columns as
Dept Yr Mth Wages)
you can then create a PivotTable and Chart with the dept and month (or dept
and year and month) as the row fields and the Wages as the data field.

Or you can move one of the row fields (either dept. or month) to become a
column field while leaving the other as a row field.

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <D3B9E73F-0598-4C4F-AFC0-4FFB0B453B82@microsoft.com>,
sarahlbdarling@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> I have a list of data that is basically the wages cost per department per
> month for 2004 and 2005 and I want to add 2006 to it. I have tried everywhich
> way of using the chart wizard in excel with no success and have tried a
> pivotchart/table using the wizard with no success. The regular chart will
> only display the value on the Y axis and either the department or the month
> on the X axis, I cannot get it to do for example Sales and show Jan 04, 05
> and 06 next to it (the data is laid out this way). Using the Pivot table all
> I get is a total eg 21 departments..............not even a chart just another
> sheet with only that info on it! Help please I have spent the past 2 hours
> trying to do this one simple thing! should I go back to pen and paper?

Thanks Tushar, the data is 1st column dept, then columns Jan 04, Jan 05, Jan
06, Feb 04 and so on to Dec. The figures are then in the corresponding row to
column.

appreciate the help!

"Tushar Mehta" wrote:

> If your data are laid out in 3 columns as:
> Dept. Month Wages
> (or four columns as
> Dept Yr Mth Wages)
> you can then create a PivotTable and Chart with the dept and month (or dept
> and year and month) as the row fields and the Wages as the data field.
>
> Or you can move one of the row fields (either dept. or month) to become a
> column field while leaving the other as a row field.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Tushar Mehta
> www.tushar-mehta.com
> Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials
> Custom MS Office productivity solutions
>
> In article <D3B9E73F-0598-4C4F-AFC0-4FFB0B453B82@microsoft.com>,
> sarahlbdarling@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> > I have a list of data that is basically the wages cost per department per
> > month for 2004 and 2005 and I want to add 2006 to it. I have tried everywhich
> > way of using the chart wizard in excel with no success and have tried a
> > pivotchart/table using the wizard with no success. The regular chart will
> > only display the value on the Y axis and either the department or the month
> > on the X axis, I cannot get it to do for example Sales and show Jan 04, 05
> > and 06 next to it (the data is laid out this way). Using the Pivot table all
> > I get is a total eg 21 departments..............not even a chart just another
> > sheet with only that info on it! Help please I have spent the past 2 hours
> > trying to do this one simple thing! should I go back to pen and paper?

That's a very unusual layout.  It will also make updating for a new year
somewhat difficult since one has to insert 12 columns in the correct
locations.

But, it means you can create one style of charts very easily.  Make sure the
top row (months) are real dates.  I would use 1/1/2004, 1/1/2005, etc.,
(formatted as desired, say mmm-yy).

Now, select any cell in this range, and click the chart wizard.  Select a
chart type that understands dates (say a Line chart) and in step 2 of the
wizard make sure Data in Rows is selected.  You will get one line per
department.  Of course, if you prefer one line per month then in step 2 of
the wizard select Data in Columns.

--

In article <EE508BAB-1DA9-4CC3-8592-6B57DCF6B1B0@microsoft.com>,
sarahlbdarling@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Thanks Tushar, the data is 1st column dept, then columns Jan 04, Jan 05, Jan
> 06, Feb 04 and so on to Dec. The figures are then in the corresponding row to
> column.
>
> appreciate the help!
>
> "Tushar Mehta" wrote:
>
> > If your data are laid out in 3 columns as:
> > Dept. Month Wages
> > (or four columns as
> > Dept Yr Mth Wages)
> > you can then create a PivotTable and Chart with the dept and month (or dept
> > and year and month) as the row fields and the Wages as the data field.
> >
> > Or you can move one of the row fields (either dept. or month) to become a
> > column field while leaving the other as a row field.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Tushar Mehta
> > www.tushar-mehta.com
> > Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials
> > Custom MS Office productivity solutions
> >
> > In article <D3B9E73F-0598-4C4F-AFC0-4FFB0B453B82@microsoft.com>,
> > sarahlbdarling@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> > > I have a list of data that is basically the wages cost per department per
> > > month for 2004 and 2005 and I want to add 2006 to it. I have tried everywhich
> > > way of using the chart wizard in excel with no success and have tried a
> > > pivotchart/table using the wizard with no success. The regular chart will
> > > only display the value on the Y axis and either the department or the month
> > > on the X axis, I cannot get it to do for example Sales and show Jan 04, 05
> > > and 06 next to it (the data is laid out this way). Using the Pivot table all
> > > I get is a total eg 21 departments..............not even a chart just another
> > > sheet with only that info on it! Help please I have spent the past 2 hours
> > > trying to do this one simple thing! should I go back to pen and paper?

hanks Tushar, I will give that a go!

"Tushar Mehta" wrote:

> That's a very unusual layout.  It will also make updating for a new year
> somewhat difficult since one has to insert 12 columns in the correct
> locations.
>
> But, it means you can create one style of charts very easily.  Make sure the
> top row (months) are real dates.  I would use 1/1/2004, 1/1/2005, etc.,
> (formatted as desired, say mmm-yy).
>
> Now, select any cell in this range, and click the chart wizard.  Select a
> chart type that understands dates (say a Line chart) and in step 2 of the
> wizard make sure Data in Rows is selected.  You will get one line per
> department.  Of course, if you prefer one line per month then in step 2 of
> the wizard select Data in Columns.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Tushar Mehta
> www.tushar-mehta.com
> Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials
> Custom MS Office productivity solutions
>
> In article <EE508BAB-1DA9-4CC3-8592-6B57DCF6B1B0@microsoft.com>,
> sarahlbdarling@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> > Thanks Tushar, the data is 1st column dept, then columns Jan 04, Jan 05, Jan
> > 06, Feb 04 and so on to Dec. The figures are then in the corresponding row to
> > column.
> >
> > appreciate the help!
> >
> > "Tushar Mehta" wrote:
> >
> > > If your data are laid out in 3 columns as:
> > > Dept. Month Wages
> > > (or four columns as
> > > Dept Yr Mth Wages)
> > > you can then create a PivotTable and Chart with the dept and month (or dept
> > > and year and month) as the row fields and the Wages as the data field.
> > >
> > > Or you can move one of the row fields (either dept. or month) to become a
> > > column field while leaving the other as a row field.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Tushar Mehta
> > > www.tushar-mehta.com
> > > Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials
> > > Custom MS Office productivity solutions
> > >
> > > In article <D3B9E73F-0598-4C4F-AFC0-4FFB0B453B82@microsoft.com>,
> > > sarahlbdarling@discussions.microsoft.com says...

Excel 1997
I know, I know...... It's time to upgrade my microsoft office software, but right now I can't afford it. So I'm stuck still using my Office '97 edition. Anyway, I was wondering if there was any way to hide the contents of a specific cell so that when I printed the page the contents would not be seen. Does anyone know how I might go about doing that? Thx. You could change the colour of the characters in that cell to white, but don't forget to change it back or you will never see it on screen. -- Ken Russell kenrussellyourhat@optushome.com.au Remove yourhat to reply b...

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

How do I plot Excel data on a floorplan?
I'm trying to find a way to plot data from an Excel worksheet on a floorplan diagram. The data reflects room assignments for a hospital, so some data stays the same for days while other data changes on a twice a day basis. I want to enable someone to be able to enter the data on the worksheet and have excel output the names, etc in the proper room assignments on the floorplan automatically. The users could then print this floorplan to locate the assignments more easily. I can either scan a hardcopy of the floorplan, or I have access to Visio so I could also quickly construct a d...

Excel need help

Need Help Linking Sheets

excel charts converted into pdf
Hello, I'm experiencing the following issue: I have a handful of charts in Excel that I inserted into Word and then converted the entire word document into PDF format using Acrobat Professional. Resulting PDF has black vertical bars in place of vertical text next to X-axis and title of the Y-axis. Converting charts into PDF directly from Excel does not produce this problem. However I must use Word doc. I have XP SP3,MS Office 2003 and Acrobat Professional 7.0. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks I've had this happen to me, too, on occasion. Not real often, fortunately. When I lo...

Help me create sales chart based on state and quantity
We have a production report on excel. It shows the details for our clients. Part of that data includes the state in which the client lives. We are trying to create a chart showing the percentages of each state( so we know where the most deals are closed) Any suggestions? Hello mr_merchant_man, this sounds like a job for a pivot table, using Average as the data calculation operator. Or, depending on your version of Excel, you can use AVERAGEIFS (in Excel 2007) or calculate an averate with a combination of SUMIF divided by COUNTIF. To be more specific, it would help to s...

How can I create a Visio timeline from a Microsoft Project file?
Can a Microsoft Project file be used to generate a timeline in Visio? If so, which versions of each program would I need? And by timeline, I don't mean Gaant chart. I mean the timelines that I can manually create in Visio using the Timeline Shapes stencil. "Suzie" <SB29@mdahospital.com> wrote in message news:e5nU7f#7DHA.1052@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Can a Microsoft Project file be used to generate a timeline in Visio? If so, > which versions of each program would I need? > > This from v2003pro timeline help, your mileage may vary Import Project da...

Chart apearing small for one user only
I have a situation where person one sends person two a excel 2003 document with a chart and person two can see the chart but it is rely small. Person one can send the file to other people and it shows up fine. Person two can send the same file to other people and it shows up fine. What is wrong with person two's setup? The zoom percentage on both computers for both people are always the same value. Person two can increase his and it seems as if it distorts the chart. When he sends that file to someone else it looks ok (not distorted) but very big. Please help. Thanks. Do...

Macro help needed........

create user mailbox rules from admin/server
If I want to make a rule in a users mailbox so that certain emails go to certain folders etc, I have usually logged in as that user and created the rule using the outlook rules wizard. Is there a way I can create rules like this from the server, or admin account, so i dont have to log in as every user each time i want to add a rule? Not that I'm aware of, and I'm sure you couldn't do it without some fancy scripting. Why not leave this up to the user, and send them basic instructions? Aaron wrote: > If I want to make a rule in a users mailbox so that certain emails go > ...

Need to test a mobo

Excel 97 / 2000 Viewer
Is there a problem with installing this product when I already have the Excel V. 5.0 on my computer? No -- Greeting from the Gulf Coast! http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays <jbeiting@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message news:059c01c3c647$2c87c9a0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > > Is there a problem with installing this product when I > already have the Excel V. 5.0 on my computer? ...

Help needed

Need help on this....thanks

I need Help

need help badly

Excel 2003 coding issue
I have a button, when pressed it will ask the user to select the email address from sheet 2, the problem i'm having is if I hide columns A, B and C it comes up with a debug error but if the columns stay visable it works? VB highlights the following: Set EmailAddr = Application.InputBox("Select Email Addresses, Click on the Email Worksheet" & vbCrLf & _ "Hold down Contrl Key to select multiple addresses", Type:=8) Please help. ...

How do I Create backup of excel file in other folder
Hi, I need the excel backup files to be saved in other folder. I'v choosen "Always create backup" in the save option, but I have traffic in my working folder, so I need the backup files to be in other folder. Using VBA< you can use the SaveCopyAs method and specify the target. -- HTH Bob Phillips "khalid" <khalid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A442EDF2-66D9-4F8E-A36D-13CFE12A22F3@microsoft.com... > Hi, I need the excel backup files to be saved in other folder. > I'v choosen "Always create backup" in the save option, ...

Excel work sheets
Hi, I need a formula that will automatically pull information from one worksheet to another. I need to be able to seperate all of the plans, procedures ect from the main work sheet to there own. I have no idea how to do this, so any help with be appreciated. Heather You don't provide enough information for anyone to help you. Pulling information from one worksheet to another is fairly simple. But what information? Where is it? Where do you want it to go? You say "to their own". How is the destination identified in the source sheet? You have t...

Need Help Despertly!

autocomplete in excel
I do not have any blank cells in my spreadsheet, but it still does not alway autocomplete the phrase I am typing. Is there a limit of some sort to the # of cell that it will check? I currently have over 3500 rows in my worksheet. ...