Multi-level Category Axis Fails with >100 rows of data

I'm having the same problem as posted on a few sites, one of which is below.
Is there any workaround, or plan to resolve this in the current version?  Any
help appreciated.

http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/Excel/microsoft.public.excel.charting/2009-02/msg00281.html

In my scenario, I'm building a Gantt chart style Promotional Calendar
organized by brand and then promotion name.  The calendar can often have more
than 100 data points in larger markets.  I've built a Gantt chart off of a
pivot table, with some VBA code to mimic functionality you'd get from slicers
in excel 2010 to let people filter the chart.  It's pretty lame that the
chart just drops labels when you get over 100 data points, and not something
I can easily convey to an end user.

Thanks.
Ivano

This is a characteristic (I almost said "feature") of Excel 2007. I
don't know too much you can do about it. You could add an XY series,
with a point where every label should go, and apply labels to each point
using either one of the built-in options ("category" or "value") or
using Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler (free from http://appspro.com).

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://peltiertech.com/

On 4/13/2010 10:48 AM, Ivano Harris wrote:
> I'm having the same problem as posted on a few sites, one of which is below.
> Is there any workaround, or plan to resolve this in the current version?  Any
> help appreciated.
>
> http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/Excel/microsoft.public.excel.charting/2009-02/msg00281.html
>
> In my scenario, I'm building a Gantt chart style Promotional Calendar
> organized by brand and then promotion name.  The calendar can often have more
> than 100 data points in larger markets.  I've built a Gantt chart off of a
> pivot table, with some VBA code to mimic functionality you'd get from slicers
> in excel 2010 to let people filter the chart.  It's pretty lame that the
> chart just drops labels when you get over 100 data points, and not something
> I can easily convey to an end user.
>
> Thanks.
> Ivano
0
Jon
4/13/2010 4:13:42 PM
I opened a ticket with MS, they pointed me to the following hotfix, which I
installed on a Win7 box and seems to have fixed my problem.  Having issues
installing it on a winxp box, but once I do I'll let you know how that worked
as well.  Here's the fix link, let me know what you find.  Thanks.
Ivano

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;977031

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> This is a characteristic (I almost said "feature") of Excel 2007. I
> don't know too much you can do about it. You could add an XY series,
> with a point where every label should go, and apply labels to each point
> using either one of the built-in options ("category" or "value") or
> using Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler (free from http://appspro.com).
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier
> Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
> http://peltiertech.com/
>

> On 4/13/2010 10:48 AM, Ivano Harris wrote:
> > I'm having the same problem as posted on a few sites, one of which is below.
> > Is there any workaround, or plan to resolve this in the current version?  Any
> > help appreciated.
> >
> > http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/Excel/microsoft.public.excel.charting/2009-02/msg00281.html
> >
> > In my scenario, I'm building a Gantt chart style Promotional Calendar
> > organized by brand and then promotion name.  The calendar can often have more
> > than 100 data points in larger markets.  I've built a Gantt chart off of a
> > pivot table, with some VBA code to mimic functionality you'd get from slicers
> > in excel 2010 to let people filter the chart.  It's pretty lame that the
> > chart just drops labels when you get over 100 data points, and not something
> > I can easily convey to an end user.
> >
> > Thanks.
> > Ivano
> .

As a follow-up, I got the WinXP hotfix installed and it resolved the problem
there as well.  In addition to resolving the missing labels when there are
over 100 data points, the multi-level labels are much cleaner in general now
and seem to fit better within the tick marks than they did before.

"Ivano Harris" wrote:

> I opened a ticket with MS, they pointed me to the following hotfix, which I
> installed on a Win7 box and seems to have fixed my problem.  Having issues
> installing it on a winxp box, but once I do I'll let you know how that worked
> as well.  Here's the fix link, let me know what you find.  Thanks.
> Ivano
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;977031
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
> > This is a characteristic (I almost said "feature") of Excel 2007. I
> > don't know too much you can do about it. You could add an XY series,
> > with a point where every label should go, and apply labels to each point
> > using either one of the built-in options ("category" or "value") or
> > using Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler (free from http://appspro.com).
> >
> > - Jon
> > -------
> > Jon Peltier
> > Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
> > http://peltiertech.com/
> >

> > On 4/13/2010 10:48 AM, Ivano Harris wrote:
> > > I'm having the same problem as posted on a few sites, one of which is below.
> > > Is there any workaround, or plan to resolve this in the current version?  Any
> > > help appreciated.
> > >
> > > http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/Excel/microsoft.public.excel.charting/2009-02/msg00281.html
> > >
> > > In my scenario, I'm building a Gantt chart style Promotional Calendar
> > > organized by brand and then promotion name.  The calendar can often have more
> > > than 100 data points in larger markets.  I've built a Gantt chart off of a
> > > pivot table, with some VBA code to mimic functionality you'd get from slicers
> > > in excel 2010 to let people filter the chart.  It's pretty lame that the
> > > chart just drops labels when you get over 100 data points, and not something
> > > I can easily convey to an end user.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > > Ivano
> > .

I went back and tested this on my setup, which is Excel 2007 SP2 in a VM
running Win XP SP3. I have not consciously installed the hotfix. It may
have been done by MS Update, but it was not listed in Add/Remove Programs.

There was no trouble displaying up to almost 200 labels (as far as I went).

- Jon
-------

On 4/15/2010 9:00 AM, Ivano Harris wrote:
> As a follow-up, I got the WinXP hotfix installed and it resolved the problem
> there as well.  In addition to resolving the missing labels when there are
> over 100 data points, the multi-level labels are much cleaner in general now
> and seem to fit better within the tick marks than they did before.
>
> "Ivano Harris" wrote:
>
>> I opened a ticket with MS, they pointed me to the following hotfix, which I
>> installed on a Win7 box and seems to have fixed my problem.  Having issues
>> installing it on a winxp box, but once I do I'll let you know how that worked
>> as well.  Here's the fix link, let me know what you find.  Thanks.
>> Ivano
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;977031
>>
>> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>>
>>> This is a characteristic (I almost said "feature") of Excel 2007. I
>>> don't know too much you can do about it. You could add an XY series,
>>> with a point where every label should go, and apply labels to each point
>>> using either one of the built-in options ("category" or "value") or
>>> using Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler (free from http://appspro.com).
>>>
>>> - Jon
>>> -------
>>> Jon Peltier
>>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
>>> http://peltiertech.com/

>>> .

0
Jon

Better control of axis ranges
I would like to make x-y charts in Excel 2000 with dynamic source data. That is, the user can select what data set he wants to display. To do this, I need better control of how the axis limits are defined. This can be achieved in one of two ways: 1. Use numbers from cells to define xmin, xmax, ymin, ymax. 2. Define in some way how auto-scaling decides what the min and max values are (I often find that the data gets "scrunched" into a small portion of the plot area). Method 1 is preferred, but 2 may also work. I would prefer to do this without writing a VBA macro, if possib...

Create individual worksheets for selected rows in a table
Hi guys, I hope somebody may be able to help. I want to be able to automate the following procedure Create individual worksheets for selected rows in a table. Many thanks - Batman2002 Batman, If you really want the entirerow, then use this - if you just want the selection, then remove the .EntireRow of the last line: Sub CopySelectioToNewWorksheet() Dim mySheet1 As Worksheet Dim mySheet2 As Worksheet Set mySheet1 = ActiveSheet Set mySheet2 = Sheets.Add(Type:="Worksheet") mySheet1.Activate Selection.EntireRow.Copy mySheet2.Range("A1") End Sub HTH, Bernie "...

Recovering data
I have been working on a certain document for quite some time now, and the other day I accidentally saved over it. Is there ANY way to find that document? I really need help. ...

Difference between Arranged By Categories and Current View By Category?
In the Tasks folder, does anyone know the difference between Arranged By > Categories and Current View By Category? I ask because, in my Tasks folder, the Arranged By Categories displays tasks grouped by categories and the Current View By Category does not display anything. I thought these two were the same. Both are filters, although Current View By Category actually displays the words "Filter Applied" at the right side of the Tasks title bar. I apologize that this post is similar to my earlier question that I recently posted, but I just discovered that one works and the ...

Outlook Data Files being automatically created
Hello, I have a user who has about 7 PST's and only created 1. We have been able to delete the other 6 in the past, but they eventually come back without any user creation. This is Outlook 2002, and on an Exchange 5.5 server. Any ideas on how to stop this? He is the only one with this issue in an environment with over 100 users. Thanks, Jeff Jeff <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a user who has about 7 PST's and only created 1. We > have been able to delete the other 6 in the past, but they > eventually come back without any user creation. ...

data validation in the form
Hi, I would like to perform data validation before the insertion of a new record into the table in Access database. So in the form, i have a few fields that need to be checked to see if they are empty or entered. I have the following codes in the event of "Form_BeforeUpdate" Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer) Dim mesg, Title As String 'Check if all the required fields are entered If Me.Stud_ID <> "" Then If Me.Department_ID <> "" Then 'warning message mesg = &quo...

multi-column data consolidation
Hi guys, here is my problem.... Scenario: - Column A to F are months (Jan to June) - Beneath each month (starting row 2 downwards), text data will b entered. Question: How can I have the six months add up or compiled as a single colum database in another sheet or a separate column in that same sheet? will be adding data every so often under these months and it shoul update the database. Thank you for any assistance/help -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Question is not clear to me. Not sure what 'add up or compile' means with text entries Perhaps, in G2 enter =...

How can I refer to a row
I want to refer to a fixed row in the spreadsheet, but to the column that matches the column that the reference is in, but I want to use a name for the fixed row. for example, Row 2 has the multipliers that I need in the formula, so I now have in cell F10 +F$2*{etc} For clarity, and perhaps for moving things around, instead of using $2 as part of the cell reference, I'd like to be able to use a "Row label". and have something similar to: +F${Row label}{etc} in cell F10 Does this concept exist? I tried Insert > Name > Label but it seemed like I could only name a...

Secondary axis not aligning to X axis
Hi, Our secondary series (scatter graph) is not aligning to the X axis values with the primary series (bar graph). The secondary series is aligning with the gridlines not the X axis values. The Primary is aligning with the X axis values as required. How do we make the Secondary series align with the X axis values like the Primary series is? If you open the Format Axis dialog for the column chart you will see a setting: Position Axis On tick marks OR Between tick marks For more detailed answers please tell us what version of Excel (2003- or 2007+) best wishes -- ...

Is numeric "Series Axis" possible?
When I make a simple 3-D surface chart in Excel, the "series axis" i automatically displayed as S1, S2, etc. Is there a convenient way t have that axis display numbers instead? For example: the following surface is generated by multiplying th x-value to the y-value: 5 10 15 4 8 12 2 3 However,the Y (series) axis (4 and 5) automatically defaults to S1 an S2; I know I can change the names of the series to match, but I wis they would change automatically if I were to change the Y-axis values (e.g. from 4 and 5 to: 1 and 2) 2 4 6 1 2 3 2 3 Any ideas -- fendwic --------------...

Public Folder Permissions
Can I use an AD Security group to set permissions on the entire Public Folder? (exchange 2003) I want to ensure my Admin group can delete any public folder from within outlook. I know I can do this from the system manager. But is there a way I can set outlook Client permissions on all folders without having to touch each folder? And if I can do step one above, Can I have these permission apply to any new public folder created via outlook? Thank you Yes. It must be a mail-enabled universal security group. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backu...

extracting data from an old to new hard drive
there are several (and better) ways to do this, but here is the reality: i recently installed a new hard drive after my previous one got locked into an endless reboot cycle. i found no solution to help with this, so i decided to start from scratch. i installed a REAL version of xp onto my new hd to get a way from the oem version that was installed on my old hd. so now my new hd is doing fine, BUT i wish to take data off of my old hd and transfer it to the new one. i installed my old drive as a slave on my pc and tried to open it, but to know avail. i will mention that this dr...

Data Migration Manager and sample data on RTM VPC
Hi I am having problems importing the sample data using the data migration manager. I followed the steps in the Sample Data Readme. I am logged in on the VPC as litwareinc\administrator. I can connect, import the sample data map, and start a new migration based on a previous migration. I progress as far as the validation stage of the migration job. But at the validation stage it hangs for a long time (a few minutes), without actually validating any of the files. The "currently processing" field is empty, i.e. it does not even start to process any of the files (or at least fail to ...

Data markers in a stacked chart will not sit side by side by month
How can I get the monthly columns (ie: July Actual & July Budget) in a stacked chart to sit side by side with a space before the next month (August Actual & August Budget) and so on for each month. Do you want to unstack the chart to convert it to a clustered chart? Chart menu > Chart Type > select a clustered column subtype that you like. Are you trying to cluster stacks of columns? Here are some links: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions ht...

Migrating data from SalesLogix to MSCRM?
Hi There, Has any one done migrating of data from SalesLogix to MSCRM? We are using Scribe to migrate data, but Scribe has to us that making use of Scribe adaptor would not make much difference since our version of SalesLogix is 5.x. So we are connecting to SaleLogix database using ODBC which is fine. We just want to know any one has been through this experience and give us some helpful information. In particular how we could bring across activites from SalesLogix to MSCRM, since we have limited knowledge of SalesLogix data structure. Regards, Kyaw The SLX data structure is reall...

Great Plains data reference
Good morning everyone, I am looking for a document / reference where I can find a good explaination of what is in the Dynamics tables as well as a field by field explanation as to what it is. What is available in Dynamics is minimal at best and I spend more time exploring the tables to figure out what is in them Any guidance is appreciated! Try searching for Accolade Publications. -- Charles Allen, MVP "ericjcartman" wrote: > Good morning everyone, > > I am looking for a document / reference where I can find a good explaination > of what is in the Dynamics ...

Display No. of Rows in Status Bar
Hello: I'm using Excel 2003. Up until recently, whenever I apply an autofilter, my status bar would display the number of rows returned, e.g.: "25 of 100 records found". For some reason it has stopped doing that, and now just says "Filter Mode". I right clicked on the status bar, and chose "Count". It didn't help. Right now I have it on "None", which is what it was on when the row count was displaying before. I don't believe I turned anything off, but I'd sure like to have that feature back. OBTW: I had this problem a mont...

Square-box character in data import
Hi, I've got a puzzling one. When importing a data file into Excel I see a square-box character at the end of each line. I've tried copying/cutting one of these characters to paste into the search/replace dialog, but nothing pastes and so I can't get rid of it. What do I do? I've got 9000 records, each with a multi-line entry for a mailing address in Column C and each of those lines (apart from the last for each record's mailing address) has this unwanted character. It's obviously the CrLf character created when I press the keyboard's Enter key... The original file...

Multi profile
I have configured outlook 2007 to use multi profiles. When I close the outloop and re-open to select other profile the profiles select list is not prompted. I have set for prompt for profile. But I observed this, after closing outlook still the task manager shows Outlook.exe is runing..when I kill that and re-open I can see the profiles and select particular. Now my question, why Outlook is runnning though its closed. My setting "Hide when minimized" is already OFF. thanks Hi abcd, have a look in the "Task Manager" under "Process" if Outlook.exe is stil...

Data migration #3
Hello group, I have a problem, I got a backup from a company, how can I restore it in a diferent server, and access it throw GP?, I'm working in version 9 Regards ...

Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 15/Jan/2006, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID'
Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 15/Jan/2006, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' GARAGE SALES, buy, risk-free purchase, working, tested, fully functional, very cheap discounted price, low cost, quality OEM software, -------------------------------------------------------- Abvent Artlantis v4.5 Mac 1CD Abvent.PhotoCAD.v1.0.MacOSX ACD.Systems.Canvas.X.0.2.925.MacOSX Adobe.Acrobat.7.0.Pro.for.Mac.OS 1CD Adobe Acrobat 6.0.0 Professional Mac OSX 1CD ...

Simplified Data Entry?
OK. Here's what I'd like to do. 1) Have a particular set of cells only allow 2 digit numeric data. 2) After the 2nd digit is entered auto-magically tab to the next field in the "table" without hitting th Tab or Enter keys. So, you might enter: 011653148902 And your results would be: A B C 1 01 16 53 2 14 89 02 Make sense? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Dan, You have some heads-down data entry going on here! I don't think this can be done with data that's b...

Hide Intermediate Levels in Date Dimension
I have a pivot table (built from a ms cube using ms query) that has a date dimension. My raw data has the Date as mm/dd/yyyy and the pivot table automatically generates the month, quarter and year from this date. I cannot seem to be able to display only the Year and Month (without the Quarter). I can show the top level of the dimension (Year) or the Months alone, but I cannot supress just the Quarter. All of the "Hide" options are greyed out for the intermediate levels. Can anyone tell me how to do this with a Date in a pivot table? (Excel 2003) Thanks. ...

Arcserve 11.5 failed to backup two mailboxes out of 103
We use ArcServe 11.5 to do a document level backup of our Exchange 2003 mailboxes. When the application ran for the first time last night on the production server, after testing on a test server, the notification I recieved was that the backup job was incomplete. It failed to backup two mailboxes out of 103. How can I determine which mailboxes were not backed up and more importantly, why they were not backed up. I am not sure if this is an Exchange 2003 issue or an ArcServe issue. My inclination is that it is an Exchange 2003 issue because it did successfully back up the other 1...

Pivot tables with external data source
Hi! I use a lot of pivottables with connetions to external data sources. Sometimes I need to modify the queries, and I do this by using the pivottable wizard, and press "get data" from step 2 in the wizard. I then get access to MS Query and can edit whatever I need to. But from time to time I only get the message "No data fields have been retrieved", and nothing happens. Usually I can get access by refreashing the table and try again, but this time I've even copied the table into another workbook without success. Does anyone have a solution for my problem? How d...