Multi axis chart

Hi, I want to show a stacked chart, ie 4 products sales value in a given
month.  But then compare it to the prvious years results.

I know you could use a 3D chart to show 3 axis, however I can't find how to
have the 2 axis (last year and this year) stacked.

Hope you understand what I'm asking
0
greyski (1)

A 3D chart is more likely to obscure than show anything.

I'm not sure what you're looking for. Perhaps a stacked-clustered column
chart, where each column in the cluster has the four stacked values for each
year.

http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/2008/05/19/clustered-stacked-column-charts/

For some reason this is by far my most popular blog entry.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"greyski" <greyski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I want to show a stacked chart, ie 4 products sales value in a given
> month.  But then compare it to the prvious years results.
>
> I know you could use a 3D chart to show 3 axis, however I can't find how
> have the 2 axis (last year and this year) stacked.
>
> Hope you understand what I'm asking

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
9/17/2008 12:01:16 PM
On Wed, 17 Sep 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Jon Peltier <jonxlmvpNO@SPAMpeltiertech.com> said:
>A 3D chart is more likely to obscure than show anything.
>
>I'm not sure what you're looking for. Perhaps a stacked-clustered column
>chart, where each column in the cluster has the four stacked values for each
>year.

I was thinking he might like a vertical panel chart

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/StackedCharts.html

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

multi-column data consolidation
Hi guys, here is my problem.... Scenario: - Column A to F are months (Jan to June) - Beneath each month (starting row 2 downwards), text data will b entered. Question: How can I have the six months add up or compiled as a single colum database in another sheet or a separate column in that same sheet? will be adding data every so often under these months and it shoul update the database. Thank you for any assistance/help -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Question is not clear to me. Not sure what 'add up or compile' means with text entries Perhaps, in G2 enter =...

Better control of axis ranges
I would like to make x-y charts in Excel 2000 with dynamic source data. That is, the user can select what data set he wants to display. To do this, I need better control of how the axis limits are defined. This can be achieved in one of two ways: 1. Use numbers from cells to define xmin, xmax, ymin, ymax. 2. Define in some way how auto-scaling decides what the min and max values are (I often find that the data gets "scrunched" into a small portion of the plot area). Method 1 is preferred, but 2 may also work. I would prefer to do this without writing a VBA macro, if possib...

Data markers in a stacked chart will not sit side by side by month
How can I get the monthly columns (ie: July Actual & July Budget) in a stacked chart to sit side by side with a space before the next month (August Actual & August Budget) and so on for each month. Do you want to unstack the chart to convert it to a clustered chart? Chart menu > Chart Type > select a clustered column subtype that you like. Are you trying to cluster stacks of columns? Here are some links: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions ht...

Multi profile
I have configured outlook 2007 to use multi profiles. When I close the outloop and re-open to select other profile the profiles select list is not prompted. I have set for prompt for profile. But I observed this, after closing outlook still the task manager shows Outlook.exe is runing..when I kill that and re-open I can see the profiles and select particular. Now my question, why Outlook is runnning though its closed. My setting "Hide when minimized" is already OFF. thanks Hi abcd, have a look in the "Task Manager" under "Process" if Outlook.exe is stil...

Pivot Chart Help Please
I have a spreadsheet with about 70000 rows and in it are amongst other things part names, prices and number of days before they were used. There are about 250 parts which are repeated through the table and I was wondering rather than doing it manually is there an easy way to work out the average price or the average days to use of a part. i.e of part A there were 411 uses and the average days to use was 20 days I am sure you must be able to do this in a pivot chart somehow but I cannot work out how, I can count the number of parts used just not get the average days they took to use. Hi On ...

Chart symbols
How can I import a symbol to use as a chart marker?... ie - instead of a triangle on the graph, I'd like to show a small airplane. Hi, Have a look at Jon Peltier's explanation of custom formatting of series. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/CustomSeriesFormatting.html Cheers Andy Lynn wrote: > How can I import a symbol to use as a chart marker?... ie - instead of a > triangle on the graph, I'd like to show a small airplane. -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Is numeric "Series Axis" possible?
When I make a simple 3-D surface chart in Excel, the "series axis" i automatically displayed as S1, S2, etc. Is there a convenient way t have that axis display numbers instead? For example: the following surface is generated by multiplying th x-value to the y-value: 5 10 15 4 8 12 2 3 However,the Y (series) axis (4 and 5) automatically defaults to S1 an S2; I know I can change the names of the series to match, but I wis they would change automatically if I were to change the Y-axis values (e.g. from 4 and 5 to: 1 and 2) 2 4 6 1 2 3 2 3 Any ideas -- fendwic --------------...

Secondary axis not aligning to X axis
Hi, Our secondary series (scatter graph) is not aligning to the X axis values with the primary series (bar graph). The secondary series is aligning with the gridlines not the X axis values. The Primary is aligning with the X axis values as required. How do we make the Secondary series align with the X axis values like the Primary series is? If you open the Format Axis dialog for the column chart you will see a setting: Position Axis On tick marks OR Between tick marks For more detailed answers please tell us what version of Excel (2003- or 2007+) best wishes -- ...

Weight chart
Hi there I'm trying to create a chart that will show weight loss progress but I'm having trouble. I need to display stone and Lbs in the y column I need it to count to 14lbs before going up a stone, at the moment it only counts to 10 befroe going to the next stone. Help me please Thanks Richard - Having trouble with the chart, or with the weight loss? (Sorry!) If you put the weight in pounds in column A, starting in cell A2, put this formula in B2 to get stone =INT(A2)/14 And this in C2 to get pounds =A2-B2*14 How do you intend to use this dual measurement system in th...

Axis to scale
I am plotting a chart that shows the distance on the x axis and the altitude on the y axis. I want the x axis to be the scale but this is complicated because I have the name places also on the x axis and Excel is just assuming that all the locations are equi distant apart and they are not. Any ideas? Thanks. JT Create a XY Scatter chart. Then, to add the labels, create a dummy series with the appropriate x values and y value set to zero. For this dummy series, add the names using either the XY Chartlabeler (www.appspro.com) or Chart Tools (www.j-walk.com). Finally, and if appropria...

Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 15/Jan/2006, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID'
Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 15/Jan/2006, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' GARAGE SALES, buy, risk-free purchase, working, tested, fully functional, very cheap discounted price, low cost, quality OEM software, -------------------------------------------------------- Abvent Artlantis v4.5 Mac 1CD Abvent.PhotoCAD.v1.0.MacOSX ACD.Systems.Canvas.X.0.2.925.MacOSX Adobe.Acrobat.7.0.Pro.for.Mac.OS 1CD Adobe Acrobat 6.0.0 Professional Mac OSX 1CD ...

bars on chart do not match data points
Simple data set yet when I create a bar chart the bars do not match the actual values in the cells. For some reason, Excel produces a bar that is less than the actual value. Further, the same values in a cell produce different bar heights and although the data labels are the right number, the value is always listed as something less. How/why is it creating bars of a different value from the data point? Is it a 2D bar chart? If not, change it. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://peltiertech.com/ On 3/4/2010 5:10 PM, MarshaD wrote: >...

Why does my textbox disappear when I put it on a chart?
I added one text box to my chart and it shows up fine. When I move it to one particular area of the embedded chart, it disappears. I've checked the Order, and it is In Front. krbear: I have found two ways to add text boxes. The way the text box affects is added affects its behavior. Method 1 - I make my text box and simply place it in the chart. It looks ok, however, it disappears when I activate the chart. It doesn't move with the chart. The text box is floating over the chart, it isn't really attached to the chart. Method 2 - I make my text box. I copy or cut it, th...

How do I resize a value axis title in Excel 2003?
I created a chart with the Chart Wizard, with a Y axis title of "Value ($)". When the axis title appears, the "($)" is partially cut off. No sizing handle appears when I click on hte text box. This cutting off on the y-axis title is a well-know bug. Is seems to be hardware related as only some people see it. The work around is to as some periods to the end of the title and then format them to be the same colour as the background so that people whose PCs do not have the problem will not see the dots. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme re...

Displaying hidden data on a chart
I have a number of data series in a table on sheet 1, and this data is plotted as an x-y scatter in a chart on sheet 2. I want to hide a column in the table, but when i do this the related data series disappears from the chart. Is there a way to hide a column whilst still having it plotted on the chart? At the moment I have just set the column width to 1 pixel, which is a bit messy. Thanks Hi, Yes, select the chart and then via the menu Toosl > Options > Chart. unchecked the Plot visible cells only. Cheers Andy Nick Terry wrote: > I have a number of data series in a tabl...

Multi-threading with multi-port server
Hi guys, Can I ask your guidance on how to imeplement server with multi- threading and multi-port? meaning, I would like my server to receive audio and video in different ports, and they run concurrently and send the data to clients. I am so lost, because I would mess up my .accept and .listen and setparent if i have videosocket and audiosocket object. I tried and it just froze. "Rehmet" <rgnurrahmat@gmail.com> wrote in message news:8f9b7615-8252-4661-9949-8812b735aa00@l32g2000hse.googlegroups.com... > Hi guys, > > Can I ask your guidance on how to imeplement serve...

Copying A Chart of Accounts
I want to create a new company in GP and copy the COA from another existing company. I was thinking this was possible? Thanks It is possible! Follow the instructions outlined in KB article 866332. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com "Todd" wrote: > I want to create a new company in GP and copy the COA from another existing > company. I was thinking this was possible? > > Thanks ...

Excel Chart with Horizontal bars left and right of y-axis (2 datasets)
Hi Excel Charting Society, I would like to create a chart where the bars are aligned horizontally from left to right right of the y-axis and from right to left on the left side of the y-axis. If the upper bars are shorter than the lower ones it would be looking a bit like a butterfly. Mirroring does not work. Each bar is the result of one branch where business is done. The x-axis data for the right side of the graph is separate for the data on the left side of the graph. However, its always the same branches. Any idea if I can download an add-in for that? OR create it myself? Thanks for ...

Multi Store Workflow Question
We have one store and a warehouse. We need to order and receive items at the warehouse and transfer them to the store. We need the store to be able to see what is on order and all inventory at the warehouse. Is anyone doing something like this, and how easy it it? At a recent demo, this required many steps, logging into 3 different databases, doing updates, etc. Very confusing for simple tasks we need to do every day. Marvin: Microsoft RMS HeadQuarters would be the solution for you. You can view the inventory in Warehouse and items on order from the Store Mihir Shah Diviasoft, In...

How can I chart "by week"
Hi All, I need to produce a line chart across three months, but show the data points by week. my data points each have a date attribute (ie 5/21/2006). I don't know a smart way to do this other than making a new table (week 1, week 2, etc) and lumping the data that way. Thanks as Always! Kurt "k. moran" wrote: > Hi All, > > I need to produce a line chart across three months, but show the data points > by week. > > my data points each have a date attribute (ie 5/21/2006). I don't know a > smart way to do this other than making a new table (we...

Charting Problems
I'm using Money Plus premium on an HP desktop running Win Media Center. Some graphs don't work GLD, EWZ,EWS,EWH - No historical data, 12/6/07 - 1/21/08, Intraday OK EWC,EWA - No historical data at all, Intraday OK Other charts are OK. Any ideas on what to do? -- Jim W ...

Multi axis chart
Hi, I want to show a stacked chart, ie 4 products sales value in a given month. But then compare it to the prvious years results. I know you could use a 3D chart to show 3 axis, however I can't find how to have the 2 axis (last year and this year) stacked. Hope you understand what I'm asking A 3D chart is more likely to obscure than show anything. I'm not sure what you're looking for. Perhaps a stacked-clustered column chart, where each column in the cluster has the four stacked values for each year. http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/2008/05/19/clustered-stacked-co...

Clipping of Y axis label
Hi We have noticed that the last character (sometimes last two) gets clipped off the Y axis title (Chart Options|Titles|Value(Y) Axis), so text entered as 'Pressure difference (mmHg)' appears on the graph (printed vertically) as 'Pressure difference (mmHg' or even 'Pressure difference (mmH'. Problem apparent whatever the font size. And occurs in Excel version 2000 and version 2003. X axis title is OK. Known bug? Workaround? Thanks, Phil Phil - This is due to a combination of font size, zoom factor, screen resolution, and a few other monitor related parameters (...

Long Text Won't Wrap Chart X Axis
I have a line chart with long question text that I want to use in the X axis but the text is appears over the top of each other. I have to use this type of chart because that is how the client wants it. If you have clients, you are a consultant. Advise them that a line chart may not be the best choice. A bar chart may work better with the labels. However, some clients are stubborn. You can manually insert line breaks into the cell text using Alt+Enter, and these will carry into the chart axis labels. This isn't perfect, of course, and at times I've resorted to using other text...

Multi language
Does anyone know whether Office 2004 has built in additional languages? Say if I buy the Japanese or Spanish version and install on English OS = X, do I=20 have everything in English (GUI)? In Office v.X this did not work. Does = it now? joe <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Does anyone know whether Office 2004 has built in additional languages? > Say if I buy the Japanese or Spanish version and install on English OS X, > do I have everything in English (GUI)? In Office v.X this did not work. > Does it now? Considering that the application would need a fairly...