more than 255 lines in chart #2

Is there a work-around the 255-line limit in Excel ??

Transpose won't do the trick, as I need 22 columns of data.

Excel 2000 SP3, on Win XP Pro SP2.

Michael

Hi Michael -

That's a lot of series for a chart. Is it going to be legible with so many lines?
I've only ever seen one chart that really needed so many series; an experimental
meteorologist needed custom curves on a chart (non-cartesian lines, like isobars). I
was able to help him combine around a thousand of these curves into a few dozen.

If you describe why you need all the series, someone might think of a similar way to
reduce them.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

michael@unitraser.com wrote:

> Is there a work-around the 255-line limit in Excel ??
>
> Transpose won't do the trick, as I need 22 columns of data.
>
> Excel 2000 SP3, on Win XP Pro SP2.
>
> Michael

Hi Jon,

It's a golf-program, that has worked very well untill I exceeded the number
of data-rows allowed in Excel. In reality I only need maybe 15 rows of data.
But as my original intentions  worked, I haven't thought of it, before now.

All my data are loaded to a sheet where I use AutoFilters via VB-script. So,
if I ask for a certain golf-course or player the filter responds "live" to
the request and updates graphs as well.

I can't get the source data to accept a variable - or I'm not clever enough,
and it has worked well, but now I may need data from row 1 and row 345, which
is impossible, because of the limitations in Excel.

Michael

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Hi Michael -
>
> That's a lot of series for a chart. Is it going to be legible with so many lines?
> I've only ever seen one chart that really needed so many series; an experimental
> meteorologist needed custom curves on a chart (non-cartesian lines, like isobars). I
> was able to help him combine around a thousand of these curves into a few dozen.
>
> If you describe why you need all the series, someone might think of a similar way to
> reduce them.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>
> michael@unitraser.com wrote:
>
> > Is there a work-around the 255-line limit in Excel ??
> >
> > Transpose won't do the trick, as I need 22 columns of data.
> >
> > Excel 2000 SP3, on Win XP Pro SP2.
> >
> > Michael

Michael -

Could you instead use a series of checkboxes or dropdowns to select the plotted
data? Here are some examples:

   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ChartByControl.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

michael@unitraser.com wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>
> It's a golf-program, that has worked very well untill I exceeded the number
> of data-rows allowed in Excel. In reality I only need maybe 15 rows of data.
> But as my original intentions  worked, I haven't thought of it, before now.
>
> All my data are loaded to a sheet where I use AutoFilters via VB-script. So,
> if I ask for a certain golf-course or player the filter responds "live" to
> the request and updates graphs as well.
>
> I can't get the source data to accept a variable - or I'm not clever enough,
> and it has worked well, but now I may need data from row 1 and row 345, which
> is impossible, because of the limitations in Excel.
>
> Michael
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>

>>Hi Michael -
>>
>>That's a lot of series for a chart. Is it going to be legible with so many lines?
>>I've only ever seen one chart that really needed so many series; an experimental
>>meteorologist needed custom curves on a chart (non-cartesian lines, like isobars). I
>>was able to help him combine around a thousand of these curves into a few dozen.
>>
>>If you describe why you need all the series, someone might think of a similar way to
>>reduce them.
>>
>>- Jon
>>-------
>>Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>>Peltier Technical Services
>>Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>>http://PeltierTech.com/
>>_______
>>
>>michael@unitraser.com wrote:
>>

>>>Is there a work-around the 255-line limit in Excel ??
>>>
>>>Transpose won't do the trick, as I need 22 columns of data.
>>>
>>>Excel 2000 SP3, on Win XP Pro SP2.
>>>
>>>Michael

Hi Jon,

Looks as if it's the right track !!

I have been deep in to your homepage - great stuff !! and found som links
to, amongst others "J-walk", who had a work-around/dynamic chart solution
using "offset" and I think that it might be possible to use the existing
combo/drop-down boxes I use now. Combined with extensive use of the
offset-command - I might even expand the data I/O to my graphs.

Thanks for helping!!

Michael

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Michael -
>
> Could you instead use a series of checkboxes or dropdowns to select the plotted
> data? Here are some examples:
>
>    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ChartByControl.html
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>
> michael@unitraser.com wrote:
>
> > Hi Jon,
> >
> > It's a golf-program, that has worked very well untill I exceeded the number
> > of data-rows allowed in Excel. In reality I only need maybe 15 rows of data.
> > But as my original intentions  worked, I haven't thought of it, before now.
> >
> > All my data are loaded to a sheet where I use AutoFilters via VB-script. So,
> > if I ask for a certain golf-course or player the filter responds "live" to
> > the request and updates graphs as well.
> >
> > I can't get the source data to accept a variable - or I'm not clever enough,
> > and it has worked well, but now I may need data from row 1 and row 345, which
> > is impossible, because of the limitations in Excel.
> >
> > Michael
> >
> > "Jon Peltier" wrote:
> >

> >>Hi Michael -
> >>
> >>That's a lot of series for a chart. Is it going to be legible with so many lines?
> >>I've only ever seen one chart that really needed so many series; an experimental
> >>meteorologist needed custom curves on a chart (non-cartesian lines, like isobars). I
> >>was able to help him combine around a thousand of these curves into a few dozen.
> >>
> >>If you describe why you need all the series, someone might think of a similar way to
> >>reduce them.
> >>
> >>- Jon
> >>-------
> >>Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> >>Peltier Technical Services
> >>Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> >>http://PeltierTech.com/
> >>_______

I am hoping that someone can extend this help to me. The site did not help me
very much but maybe I am missing something. I have approximately 300 series
that I need to put onto a chart. The reason I need this is that I have 300
separate sets of data that work out on a line graph to 300 distinct lines,
and yes this is indeed visible and we can pull out the specific data lines we
want to highlight. The problem is, I can't graph this as a single series
because we have to use a range of columns for both the x and the y so I
cannot graph more than one row at a time. Any help on how I might get more
than 255 series?

Thanks

"michael@unitraser.com" wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>
> Looks as if it's the right track !!
>
> I have been deep in to your homepage - great stuff !! and found som links
> to, amongst others "J-walk", who had a work-around/dynamic chart solution
> using "offset" and I think that it might be possible to use the existing
> combo/drop-down boxes I use now. Combined with extensive use of the
> offset-command - I might even expand the data I/O to my graphs.
>
> Thanks for helping!!
>
> Michael
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
> > Michael -
> >
> > Could you instead use a series of checkboxes or dropdowns to select the plotted
> > data? Here are some examples:
> >
> >    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ChartByControl.html
> >
> > - Jon
> > -------
> > Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> > Peltier Technical Services
> > Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> > http://PeltierTech.com/
> > _______
> >
> > michael@unitraser.com wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Jon,
> > >
> > > It's a golf-program, that has worked very well untill I exceeded the number
> > > of data-rows allowed in Excel. In reality I only need maybe 15 rows of data.
> > > But as my original intentions  worked, I haven't thought of it, before now.
> > >
> > > All my data are loaded to a sheet where I use AutoFilters via VB-script. So,
> > > if I ask for a certain golf-course or player the filter responds "live" to
> > > the request and updates graphs as well.
> > >
> > > I can't get the source data to accept a variable - or I'm not clever enough,
> > > and it has worked well, but now I may need data from row 1 and row 345, which
> > > is impossible, because of the limitations in Excel.
> > >
> > > Michael

0
SM1333 (1)
11/13/2008 4:58:01 PM
Hi,

The 255 is a fixed limit.
You either use 2 charts overlayed with the top one having transparent
chart/plot area. Obviously alignment will be an issue.

Or you use 1 series with data from 2 rows and then if required change
the colouration of points in the series. This would probably require a
vba solution if you need any this that is suppose to be automatic.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Permanent Failure: Other address status #2
Howdy, I have a customer whose customers are receiving the following email randomly... > The following addresses had delivery problems: > > <user@domain.com> > Permanent Failure: Other address status > Delivery last attempted at Mon, 12 Mar 2007 19:42:42 -0000 My customer server is SBS 2003 Standard, latest Service Packs. How do I troubleshoot this? There is nothing the App/Sys logs near this time line. I have Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange Server installed as well and that doesnt have any log entries either. Also this response isnt a symantec respo...

Export Org chart as image
Hello, I've created a macro which successfully exports to PNG or GIF an image of a Pie Chart. I tried to use the same macro to export an Organizational Chart. Routine does not seem to find it. Macro code is below. The first macros are helpers ... again, they do work for a pie chart The routine "Sub ExportCharts_PNG_Prompt()" is the macro. Thanks Steve G '====================================================== Private Declare Function SHGetPathFromIDList Lib "shell32.dll" _ Alias "SHGetPathFromIDListA" (ByVal pidl As Long, _ ByVal pszPath As String) As Lon...

Excel 2003 Using graphics in charts
A couple of years ago I attended an Excel workshop where we did these really nifty charts using graphics instead of simple columns, eg we used a picture of a coin, and the higher the souce nunber, the higher the stack of coins. I worked in the oil industry and we made charts with stacks of oil rigs etc. I just cannot remember how it was done and would really like to try it again. I have just tried, using a picture, but what it does here is simply increase the size of the single graphic, rather than stacking lots of identical graphics on top of each other ... if you know what I mea...

make a picture a chart
How can I make a picture a chart? Like a dollar bill divided by expenses. You will need to first find a dollar bill graphic file (.gif or similar). Once you've saved the file, you can select either the chart area or plot area of the chart. Go to the toolbar and select Format -> Selected Plot Area or Format -> Selected Chart Area -> Fill effects -> Picture -> Select Picture. You can then bring the picture into your chart. Below are links to examples that show how to insert pictures into charts: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP051984541033.aspx http://ww...

chart default colors
Are there any other suggestions for changing the default charting colors when a pivot chart is made? I am frustrated by changing the colors on one chart, only to have them change back to defaults when the chart is switched. Please help. If it's just the colors, go to Tools menu > Options > Colors, and adjust the bottom two rows of colors. You could also format a chart, save it into a user defined type, then reapply it to a refreshed pivot chart: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/CreateCustomTypes.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technic...

Syncing 2 different WM Smart phones with separate info with one PC
Hi How can I set up Outlook 2003 so that two separate users can work with their individual calendars, contacts, tasks and sync only their info into their respective Windows Mobile 5.0 phones? One user is coming from the Palm OS. That info was successfully imported into outlook using intellisync lite. A separate profile was setup for the second user. The problem is that one profile has multiple calendars, contacts and tasks, and I can not tell what will sync to where. HELP! Thank You ...

pulling info from 2 cels
What I am trying to do is have one cell read two other cells to determine if a bonus was earned. Here is what I need: I need to have cell c1 read cell a1 and see if it is greater than 9, also it needs to see if cell b1 is greater or equal to 1. If both cell match then c1 should read $50.00, if not it is $0. Thanks in advance :rolleyes: Mike Manick -- manickmj ------------------------------------------------------------------------ manickmj's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=8870 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?th...

autodelivery of messages by substring in subject line to public folders in exch2000
Hi, I like to set a server rule so that messages with a certain alphanumeric string in the subject like, such as [L434] or [my project], can be automatically redirected to a specific folder in the public folders. Is this do-able within MS Exchange server 2000? I wouldn't like to set this rule at the client level, but at the server level. Thanks in advance for your help. ...

Catch all email address #2
Hello Is it possible to setup a catch all email address, I would like to setup a inbox that catches all the email address set to the @domain.org.uk. Is it possible to do this? Regards Andrew Dear Andrew, what do you mean by catch ? do you want to setup a mailbox to recieve all the emails sent and recieved by @domain.org.uk ? do you mean archiving ? regards Alaa Al-Ankar "Andrew" <not@home.com> wrote in message news:44381ff6$0$33909$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net... > Hello > > Is it possible to setup a catch all email address, > > I would like...

Vlookup query that checks 2 conditions
I've posted this before without too much luck so here it goes again... I'm trying to automate the creation of a vendor report that lists al vendor sales. Basically I need a formula that, based on a unique vendo number, will: - check colomn A for the vendor number match - then check column B to see if there is a buyer number (which mean that the item is sold) - then dumps then 'nth' occurance of the value / text from the column specify (8) I'm currrently using the formula: {=IF(Catalog!B2:B428 0,INDEX(VendorReportData,SMALL(IF(VendorReportData=$N$13,ROW(Catalog!$A$2:$...

Outlook 07 on Vista: 2 Different User Calenders Viewed Together?
My wife and I use Vista on separate user accounts. We're both set up as administrators. We also are using Outlook 2007 for our own calender/scheduling. Is there a way to view the calenders together, as ONE? Is the only way to do this to set up one user account we're both configured to? Any help greatly appreciated. ZaveyZipper <das216at_comcast.net> wrote: > My wife and I use Vista on separate user accounts. We're both set up > as administrators. We also are using Outlook 2007 for our own > calender/scheduling. > > Is there a way to view the calende...

MS RMS 1.2 or QuickSell barcode type database values
Hello, a member of the newsgroups was kind enough to send me a copy of the QSCImp.exe, so I could transition my database over and it worked very well. However, rather than hand set the 10,000 items I have with the barcode type (as I use Interleaved 2 of 5, UPCA, EAN13, UPCE and Code 39), I was hoping that someone had the nomenclature that would allow me to pre-set the Barcode type based on my barcode number values. I know my 11 digits are UPCA, so with a little bit of IF/THEN I could easily set a database field value of UPCA. Could someone enlighten me as to what RMS/QuickSell is looking for ...

Resizing chart because of refreshing Chart Data through a query
When I refresh data in a report, I always have to go back and adjust my graphs. For example, the data label will to be out of the chart area or I have to resize a pie chart for the new refresh. Is this just a short coming in the software? Do you know of any add-on product that would help with this problem? Thanks ...

Exchange 2003 Server
I have one Exchange Server 2003 (Enterprise) running on Windows Server 2003. I have two problems and was looking for tips to try and correct them. 1. We have mailbox quotas and our users are getting messages in their Inbox that they have approached or exceeded their limits. However, if you go to Outlook, right click on Outlook Today, and then check on the folder size, they are no where near the quota limit. I have raised their limit in the interim and have read that running ISINTEG on the dismounted store will correct this. I just wanted to make sure that I am on the right track. 2. Th...

Series axis labels on 3d charts
When I make a 3d plot of a data table, the Series (y) axis insists on taking on the default labels s1, s2, etc. I want it to display the values along the appropriate edge of my data table. I can insert a reference one line at a time into the individual (60 in my case) SERIES functions but life is too short. There must be a better way. Help. Charlie - If you select the labels along the side and top of the data range, Excel will use these as labels in the chart. It helps to have a blank cell at the upper left corner, where the label row and column intersect. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier...

Needing to re-order a datatable display on an Excel chart
I have a chart in Excel with two Y axes. One Y axis is percentages, the other is integers. The Chart itself uses a Column Chart Type for the Percentages and a Line Chart Type for the Integers (I only have dataset for the integers). There are six sets of data that are being graphed (for simplicity we will just refer to them as Series 1-6). Series 1 is on the Secondary Axis (Integer, thus the line chart) and the others are all on the Primary Axis (Percentages, thus the column chart). The datatable that Excel shows has Series 1 at the bottom of the table. Is there a way to get it at th...

Excel
I understand how to change the scale on the value axis to logarithmic, I am just not sure why I would do so. Usually helpful when: a) Trying to plot exponential series (such as in calculus, some physics, etc) b) Trying to distort data so your customers don't see how badly your company is losing money *grin* -- Best Regards, Luke M "Polly" <Polly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E6DCA198-FEC5-4678-B805-E7EB9C713BB0@microsoft.com... >I understand how to change the scale on the value axis to logarithmic, I am > just not sure why I w...

Outlook 2003 refuses to connect to internet on "send/receive" if off-line
If I start up my computer, I am normally off-line. The connection to the internet is made if I start up my e-mail program or internet explorer. At least this used to be the situation. It still functions with outlook express and internet explorer, but I cannot get it to function with "Outlook 2003". If I am on-line Outlook 2003 functions correctly, but it refuses to connect on send/recieve if I am off-line. My settings for Internet-Email | Connection tab are: "Connect using LAN" (I use an ADSL connection) "Connect using modem if Outlook off-line" is selected a...

insert worksheet #2
The default for inserting a new worksheet is to the left. Is there a way to have worksheets inserted to the right? Hi Sue in VBA you could use the following macro: sub insert_after() ActiveWorkbook.Sheets.Add After:=ActiveSheet end sub you may apply a button to this macro. -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Sue wrote: > The default for inserting a new worksheet is to the left. > Is there a way to have worksheets inserted to the right? put this macro in your personal.xls file and attach it to a keyboard shortcut or toolbar button. Public Sub InsertSheetToRight() ...

Report Error in Microsoft CRM 1.2
In the Event Viewer there is the problem: MSCRM Platform Error Report: ----------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------- Error: Unable to access crystal; check to see if you have enough licenses : Unable to log into crystal; check to see if you have enough licenses : Unable to communicate with crystallogon.csp Error Message: Unable to access crystal; check to see if you have enough licenses : Unable to log into crystal; check to see if you have enough licenses : Unable to communicate with crystallogon.csp Error Details: Detail...

Adding ore licenses to MSCRM 1.2
Hi, We have MSCRM 1.2 configured in our organization with 10 licenses.Recently we have got 10 more licenses and we need to add these to the current MSCRM server 1.2 server. What is the procedure to do that. Regards, Raju Hi, You can use the deployment manager to do this. The deployment manager contains a license manager where you can add and edit licenses. Rob Bakkers, Avanade Netherlands "Raju" wrote: > Hi, > > We have MSCRM 1.2 configured in our organization > with 10 licenses.Recently we have got 10 more licenses and we need > to add the...

Find & replace #2
Here is my little problem: 1st spreadsheet =============== Column A | Column B ---------+---------- AAA(Tab) | 80001 BBB(Tab) | 80002 CCC(Tab) | 80003 XXX(Tab) | 80004 YYY(Tab) | 80005 ZZZ(Tab) | 80006 2nd spreadsheet =============== Column A -------- AAA AAA AAA AAA BBB BBB BBB BBB CCC CCC YYY YYY ZZZ ZZZ ZZZ XXX XXX Expected result: ---------------- 2nd spreadsheet =============== Column A -------- 80001 80001 80001 80001 80002 80002 80002 80002 80003 80003 80005 80005 80006 80006 80006 80004 80004 I need to translate column A in the 2nd spreadsheet to numbers from the 1st s...

Macro to change position of chart labels on line chart
Hello all, I have quite a trickly problem to solve and I would appreciate any suggestions. I have a dashboard page in a worksheet which shows financial KPIs (i.e. sales) as forecast this year versus last year. There are a number of line charts on the dashboard showing the differing forecasts; the user of the dashboard can choose a business unit to view. What I would like to be able to do is to have the chart labels for these charts automatically change their aligmnent so that they display properly. I have set the chart labels to display "Above" for the new forecast and "Bel...

Exporting chart issue
Hi everyone I am trying to use the Excel chart.export method to produce an image of a report from Access. Access is exporting the report in Snapshot format, and I am then importing the object as an OLEObject into an Excel Sheet. I am then using the CopyPicture method on the OLEObject and pasting this into the chart. I am then exporting the chart as a GIF. The problem I am having is that the quality of the gif is very poor so as to make the whole method useless. FYI I am not using a pdf writer as the environment I am in prohibits this method (security gone mad!) Please help if you ca...

ThumbnailCache.dll #2
please can someone advise on how to get the above dll back, i seem to have deleted it and i keep getting this dll in a error message. running xp, have used service books 2 disc and have restored system. ...