missing data points causes my line graph not to connect

Hi there,

I am doing a simple line graph for data points over 200 days, however for
some of the days I do not have data, therefore when I create a graph it where
there is missing data the line does not connect, there should be an easy way
to fix it, but I can't figure it out.  I tried to just select the data I want
in the series but it only holds so many and I can't get all the data points
in.

Please help
0
liebw (3)

Tools menu > Options > Chart tab. Choose the interpolation option for
how Excel should treat a blank cell.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

liebw wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am doing a simple line graph for data points over 200 days, however for
> some of the days I do not have data, therefore when I create a graph it where
> there is missing data the line does not connect, there should be an easy way
> to fix it, but I can't figure it out.  I tried to just select the data I want
> in the series but it only holds so many and I can't get all the data points
> in.
>
> Please help
If the cells are empty, then Tools|Options|Chart and check the option to
Interpolate missing values.  If the cells contain formulas, then have
them return #N/A for missing values.

Jerry

liebw wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am doing a simple line graph for data points over 200 days, however for
> some of the days I do not have data, therefore when I create a graph it where
> there is missing data the line does not connect, there should be an easy way
> to fix it, but I can't figure it out.  I tried to just select the data I want
> in the series but it only holds so many and I can't get all the data points
> in.
>
> Please help

0
post_a_reply (1395)
8/31/2005 12:52:22 AM
I've been using an extremely useful free add-in by Tushar Mehta; you can
download it from
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/na_discontinuity/--just replace
missing points with cell values =na()'s.

z.entropic

"liebw" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am doing a simple line graph for data points over 200 days, however for
> some of the days I do not have data, therefore when I create a graph it where
> there is missing data the line does not connect, there should be an easy way
> to fix it, but I can't figure it out.  I tried to just select the data I want
> in the series but it only holds so many and I can't get all the data points
> in.
>
> Please help
0
zentropic (23)
8/31/2005 2:20:01 AM
Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!
I have been working on this stupid thing for so long, I knew there had to be
an easier answer and it was driving me crazy that I couldn't figure it out.
Thanks again

"Jerry W. Lewis" wrote:

> If the cells are empty, then Tools|Options|Chart and check the option to
> Interpolate missing values.  If the cells contain formulas, then have
> them return #N/A for missing values.
>
> Jerry
>
> liebw wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I am doing a simple line graph for data points over 200 days, however for
> > some of the days I do not have data, therefore when I create a graph it where
> > there is missing data the line does not connect, there should be an easy way
> > to fix it, but I can't figure it out.  I tried to just select the data I want
> > in the series but it only holds so many and I can't get all the data points
> > in.
> >
> > Please help

0
liebw (3)
8/31/2005 5:53:01 PM

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Tools menu > Options > Chart tab. Choose the interpolation option for
> how Excel should treat a blank cell.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>

> liebw wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I am doing a simple line graph for data points over 200 days, however for
> > some of the days I do not have data, therefore when I create a graph it where
> > there is missing data the line does not connect, there should be an easy way
> > to fix it, but I can't figure it out.  I tried to just select the data I want
> > in the series but it only holds so many and I can't get all the data points
> > in.
> >
> > Please help

0
liebw (3)
8/31/2005 5:54:06 PM
You're welcome.  Glad it helped.

Jerry

liebw wrote:

> Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!
> I have been working on this stupid thing for so long, I knew there had to be
> an easier answer and it was driving me crazy that I couldn't figure it out.
> Thanks again

0
post_a_reply (1395)
9/1/2005 11:49:09 AM
Does anyone know how to do this in the 2007 version of Excel?

"Jerry W. Lewis" wrote:

> If the cells are empty, then Tools|Options|Chart and check the option to
> Interpolate missing values.  If the cells contain formulas, then have
> them return #N/A for missing values.
>
> Jerry
>
> liebw wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I am doing a simple line graph for data points over 200 days, however for
> > some of the days I do not have data, therefore when I create a graph it where
> > there is missing data the line does not connect, there should be an easy way
> > to fix it, but I can't figure it out.  I tried to just select the data I want
> > in the series but it only holds so many and I can't get all the data points
> > in.
> >
> > Please help

0
Whitney (13)
11/24/2008 9:56:17 PM
Found the answer by good ol' trial-and-error...

In Excel 2007:
- Select the plot area of the chart
- Right click and go to "Select Data"
- Click "Hidden and Empty cells" in the bottom left corner of the Select
Data Source box
- For 'Show empty cells as:' select "Connect data points with line"

"Whitney" wrote:

> Does anyone know how to do this in the 2007 version of Excel?
>
> "Jerry W. Lewis" wrote:
>
> > If the cells are empty, then Tools|Options|Chart and check the option to
> > Interpolate missing values.  If the cells contain formulas, then have
> > them return #N/A for missing values.
> >
> > Jerry
> >
> > liebw wrote:
> >
> > > Hi there,
> > >
> > > I am doing a simple line graph for data points over 200 days, however for
> > > some of the days I do not have data, therefore when I create a graph it where
> > > there is missing data the line does not connect, there should be an easy way
> > > to fix it, but I can't figure it out.  I tried to just select the data I want
> > > in the series but it only holds so many and I can't get all the data points
> > > in.
> > >
> > > Please help

0
Whitney (13)

missing buttons #2
I just installed the new Office 2003 edtion. I went into e-mails and my send button and now my paper clip button are missing. I've checked in where you can add buttons but they're not in their either. What can I do to find them. Are you using Word as your e-mail editor? -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:4E889BAD-E127-4AF8-BC98-7AB117D0B90B@microsoft.com, Sharon wrote: > I just installed the new Office 2003 edtion. I went into e-mail...

How do I make a 'box and whisker plot' graph in Microsoft Excel?
I am in Year 12 and am doing a stats assignment. The project states that i MUST insert a box and whisker plot for some data, but i don't know how to do this. Does anybody know? Hi, Here are some sites on the topic of stats charting not just box and whisker. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/statscharts.html http://www.processtrends.com/toc_statistical_charts.htm http://tushar-mehta.com/publish_train/data_analysis/16.htm http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme/ExcelTips.htm Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Year 12 student who needs help" &...

Passing data from one form to another

arrows along a line
Visio 2002 Is it possible to add arrow points along a line at intermittant locations .... not just at the end. Thanks. Hi Cowtoon, If you have a definite number of arrows that you want, do this: 1. Draw a line segment 2. Copy it several times, placing them all end-to-end 3. Select all the segments and choose Shape > Operations > Combine 4. Apply arrowhead formatting. Or, you may need a custom line pattern instead. Look here for more info: A detailed tutorial from MS: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/devref/HTML/DVS_10_Managing_Styles,_Formats,_and_...

Help ! formatting data to text

Connecting to BofA
anyone setup their sitekey and having problems with "update"? i created the sitekey like on tuesday and now when i do the update it fails constantly :(:(:(:( Try calling BofA's online banking dept at 800.933.6262 "w0rm3y" wrote: > anyone setup their sitekey and having problems with "update"? i created the > sitekey like on tuesday and now when i do the update it fails constantly > :(:(:(:( actually going to call again, i called wednesday (day before thanksgiving) and believe it or not they were already closed and i've sent them message...

chart line style problem
I am making a scatter chart (with lines) in Excel 2007 under Vista. I can select a line style, for example, long dashes. However, if I try to change the axis (change from "automatic" to "fixed" on the horizontal axis), the line on the chart immediately becomes solid again. The legend still shows the proper dashing. I can get the dashing partly back by making the line thinner, but only where the variation is fastest - regions where the derivative is near zero are still solid even for thin lines. I'll appreciate any help! frank I was not able to reproduce this. Can you...

how do i recover data in publisher
i have been entering addresses to set up a mail merge. i cllicked the "ok" button in the window and lost all data . can i recover it Look in a folder in My Documents named "My Data Sources". Publisher data is saved as .mdb(Access) file. Did you try selecting "Edit Address List" in the Mailings and Catalog menu (Tools)? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "dee" <dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:690430F1-36DE-47EE-8B7D-DD12A096C075@microsoft.com... >i have been entering addresses to set up a mail merge. i cllicked ...

Using subtotals as single data entries
Sorry about the subject--I couldn't figure out how to describe it simply. I have a large file (16,000 records) of amounts billed by roughly 10,000 service providers. A number of these providers have multiple office locations, so each record is unique to a specific office location. In other words, a provider who billed from 3 different office locations will have 3 entries. Each provider has a unique provider ID number, which stays the same regardless of which office location he is billing from. I want to be able to subtotal the amount billed by each provider for all their office locations...

Missing column letters
Hello there, I have lost the letters at the top of my columns and the numbers to the left. I don't know what I have clicked! Any help is appreciated! Julia Hi Julia tools / options / view tab ensure row & column headers are ticked cheers JulieD "Julia" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2f4601c51f29$af4e6d80$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hello there, > > I have lost the letters at the top of my columns and the > numbers to the left. > > I don't know what I have clicked! Any help is appreciated! > > Julia Julia, ...

Retrieving sorted data from same table.
Hi All, I am working on a table (mentioned below) I am looking for a query which can get me the data according to the =93id=94 column with respect to speed. The condition is that I have to get three consecutive entries which have speed > 60 Below is the sample table with data on which I have to retrieve the data on above condition. The output i need can be as given below DVXC002 12/10/09 0:12 96 DVXC002 12/10/09 18:40 89 DVXC002 12/10/09 19:43 65 DVXC005 12/10/09 11:56 69 DVXC005 12/10/09 15:26 62 DVXC005 12/10/09 17:35 85 Need your help urgently....Thanks in advan...

Import directory data into Excel 2003
I have over 1000 media files that I would like to extract information from and put into an Excel spreadsheet. Using Explorer, I have defined the fields I would like to see, such as title, duration, comment etc. Now, I need to import this data into Excel. So far, I've not been able to find a way to do this. Can someone offer some suggestions please? Thanks, Nigel -- www.myoldcontacts.com - Tell your friends to tell their friends www.sysadmininc.com - Consultancy, Service, Sales, Networking... www.british-expats.com - Connect with British Expats World Wide www.kxez.com/shows_britishinv...

Text in column causing SUMPRODUCT error
Greegings. I have a SUMPRODUCT formula that is having errors when one of the columns has text instead of a NULL or a number. If I delete the text cells in that column it works as desired. I'll give a simple example. Suppose I have the following in A1:B6.... a 1 a 2 a abc b 1 b 1 a 2 And I need this... =SUMPRODUCT(($A$1:$A$6="a")*($B$1:$B$6)) It errors out until I delete the "abc" in cell B3, then it works as desired. I tried to replace the "abc" with a 0 by trying this... =IF(ISNUMBER(B3)=FALSE,0,B3) And it works for that pa...

show last data point in chart
Hello, I am charting a range of observations/data points. Is there a way to make the last data point show up differently on the chart (different color/shape)? Thank you. Nathan - > I am charting a range of observations/data points. Is there a way to make the last data point show up differently on the chart (different color/shape)? < Click the charted data once to select the entire data series. Pause. Click the single point to select it. Then use the Format menu. - Mike www.mikemiddleton.com Thanks for your reply. Well, that would work if I knew which point on the chart ...

Import excel data to outlook calendar
I have found lots of tips to import excel data to the address book, etc, but can't find how to "custom map" or how to import data from an excel spreadsheet into the outlook calendar. Could anyone make any suggestions? Hi Tracy, normally you are in the wrong newsgoup, but I try to help you. - First export the dates from your OL calender to an excel file. - In this file, you can find all the headlines for importing. - If you try to import date, be sure that the headline matches as described before. - Then to the normal job for import in Outlook -- Ich hoffe, das hilft / ...

Registration Entry for External Data Refresh Prompt
Hello, I have several Excel Workbooks with external queries, pivots, etc. I have "ASK TO UPDATE AUTOMATIC LINKS" checked in TOOLS - OPTIONS. But it seems like I still stometimes get asked whether or not I want to update. Particularily I notice when I close the workbook I may get prompted if I want it to automatically update. Is there something I can do so I do not get prompted? Something in the registry perhaps? Thanks for any assistance! ...

Showing the perimeter of a set of (X,Y) data!
Good day all, I need to plot the perimeter of a set of data. I have a set of (X,Y) data with error bar and it is a nice mess so I just actually need to see (show) the area were the data can be found. Then hopefully overlay an other set of (X',Y') data and show that they both cover the same surface of existence. i.e this is a set of metrology measurement in X and Y of a part build from different mould. Obviously you get a nice cloud of X and Y but does the new material offer the same 'cloud' ? Thank you I think the easiest way to do this is plot the data on a XY Scatter cha...

Copy Data from One Group of Cells to Another Group
I have five columns of data on two different sheets in the same workbook. One set of columns is sorted in ascending date order the other in descending date order. When I enter data into the last row of Sheet 1, I need the data in that row in columns A, B, C and D to be copied into Sheet 2 columns A, C, D and E in a newly inserted row 14. Is this possible with the use of a macro? I can find the last cell in Sheet 1, but then need to go up one row and back to column A. I am having difficulty with that. Thanks is advance for any assistance offered! /s/ Alan Auerbach On Sat, 26 May 2007, ...

How do I get total value data labels in a stacked bar chart?
I have a 3-D stacked bar chart with four series and I want to have the total value in each category be displayed in a data label. Can I do this, and if so, how?? Hi, This should help http://www.andypope.info/charts/StackColTotal.htm Cheers Andy blemerson wrote: > I have a 3-D stacked bar chart with four series and I want to have the total > value in each category be displayed in a data label. Can I do this, and if > so, how?? -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info Thanks, Andy. The CFO is thrilled. Heather "Andy Pope" wrote: > Hi, >...