merging charts

Id like to put data from different columns in a chart. I've got a spreadsheet
with multiple 2x20 'tables'. In the first column is speed and in the second
column is a torque value for the given speed in the first column. Problem
seems to be that the 1st column in each of these 'tables' arent the same
values, but there all speed. say I have in the first table speed values of
10,15,20,25.... and in another table I have speed values of
12,16,22,23.......  Id like to plot all of the table on 1 graph(line). Anyway
to do this within excel(vista)?
0
Cahill (4)

Hi,

1.  Easiest way is just to put the two sets of data below each other.

2.  Second way is to modify the series formula:

=SERIES(Sheet3!$D$3,(Sheet3!$C$4:$C$6,Sheet3!$F$4:$F$6),(Sheet3!$D$4:$D$6,Sheet3!$G$4:$G$6),1)

In this case I started with
=SERIES(Sheet3!$D$3,Sheet3!$C$4:$C$6,Sheet3!$D$4:$D$6,1)
and just add the second x range and the second Y range to the formula.

It might make most sense to use a scatter chart if you are doing this with
both axes containing numbers.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Cordell Cahill" wrote:

> Id like to put data from different columns in a chart. I've got a spreadsheet
> with multiple 2x20 'tables'. In the first column is speed and in the second
> column is a torque value for the given speed in the first column. Problem
> seems to be that the 1st column in each of these 'tables' arent the same
> values, but there all speed. say I have in the first table speed values of
> 10,15,20,25.... and in another table I have speed values of
> 12,16,22,23.......  Id like to plot all of the table on 1 graph(line). Anyway
> to do this within excel(vista)?
Thanks for the reply. Im looking for a seperate curve(line) for each 'table'.
Sorry Im a excel noob, usually deal with matlab, but I believe Im trying to
have more then 1 series, 5 actually, each dealing with the torque output of
each of 5 gear ratios with the y axis corresponding to the speed in which
they happen.

"ShaneDevenshire" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1.  Easiest way is just to put the two sets of data below each other.
>
> 2.  Second way is to modify the series formula:
>
> =SERIES(Sheet3!$D$3,(Sheet3!$C$4:$C$6,Sheet3!$F$4:$F$6),(Sheet3!$D$4:$D$6,Sheet3!$G$4:$G$6),1)
>
> In this case I started with
> =SERIES(Sheet3!$D$3,Sheet3!$C$4:$C$6,Sheet3!$D$4:$D$6,1)
> and just add the second x range and the second Y range to the formula.
>
> It might make most sense to use a scatter chart if you are doing this with
> both axes containing numbers.
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Shane Devenshire
>

> "Cordell Cahill" wrote:
>
> > Id like to put data from different columns in a chart. I've got a spreadsheet
> > with multiple 2x20 'tables'. In the first column is speed and in the second
> > column is a torque value for the given speed in the first column. Problem
> > seems to be that the 1st column in each of these 'tables' arent the same
> > values, but there all speed. say I have in the first table speed values of
> > 10,15,20,25.... and in another table I have speed values of
> > 12,16,22,23.......  Id like to plot all of the table on 1 graph(line). Anyway
> > to do this within excel(vista)?
I didn't answer before, because I couldn't understand your dilemma.

Select the data for the first series, and create an XY chart (not a line
chart). You can format the points so they are connected by line segments.

Select and copy the data for the next series, select the chart, and use Edit
menu > Paste Special to add the data as a new series. Repeat as many times
as you have data sets.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Cordell Cahill" <CordellCahill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the reply. Im looking for a seperate curve(line) for each
> 'table'.
> Sorry Im a excel noob, usually deal with matlab, but I believe Im trying
> have more then 1 series, 5 actually, each dealing with the torque output
> of
> each of 5 gear ratios with the y axis corresponding to the speed in which
> they happen.
>
> "ShaneDevenshire" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> 1.  Easiest way is just to put the two sets of data below each other.
>>
>> 2.  Second way is to modify the series formula:
>>
>> =SERIES(Sheet3!$D$3,(Sheet3!$C$4:$C$6,Sheet3!$F$4:$F$6),(Sheet3!$D$4:$D$6,Sheet3!$G$4:$G$6),1)
>>
>> In this case I started with
>> =SERIES(Sheet3!$D$3,Sheet3!$C$4:$C$6,Sheet3!$D$4:$D$6,1)
>> and just add the second x range and the second Y range to the formula.
>>
>> It might make most sense to use a scatter chart if you are doing this
>> with
>> both axes containing numbers.
>>
>> --
>> Thanks,
>> Shane Devenshire
>>

>> "Cordell Cahill" wrote:
>>
>> > Id like to put data from different columns in a chart. I've got a
>> > spreadsheet
>> > with multiple 2x20 'tables'. In the first column is speed and in the
>> > second
>> > column is a torque value for the given speed in the first column.
>> > Problem
>> > seems to be that the 1st column in each of these 'tables' arent the
>> > same
>> > values, but there all speed. say I have in the first table speed values
>> > of
>> > 10,15,20,25.... and in another table I have speed values of
>> > 12,16,22,23.......  Id like to plot all of the table on 1 graph(line).
>> > Anyway
>> > to do this within excel(vista)?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
10/16/2008 1:56:40 AM
Perfect!!! Thank you very much for all the help

merging
Is it possible to create a document in publisher (mine is a certificate) and then merge the desired information from a select querry in access? Hi Tina (sttpreston@clyde.k12.oh.us), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Is it possible to create a document in publisher (mine is || a certificate) and then merge the desired information from || a select querry in access? Yes, you can. Which version of Publisher and Windows are you using? -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Office Publisher MVP Official Publisher MVP Site: http://www.kvalheim.org This posting is provided "AS IS" wit...

vba charting question
Suppose I have three range objects, call them XRange, DataRange and DataLabelsRange. - XRange is a series of months, e.g. Jan 2005, Feb 2005 ... etc. - DataRange contains several series of data for each month. For example data for North Sales, South Sales, etc. - DataLabelsRange contains the actual labels "North Sales", "South Sales", etc. The goal is use VBA to create a chart from this ranges with the months on the x axis, lines for each of the series on the y axis, and a legend labeling the lines for you. Pretty simple, no? But after goofing around with the seriesc...

histogram or pie chart or?
Greetings from the UK... I have a list of around 1000 numbers, all integers whose values can range from 1 through to 4000. Most of these numbers repeat themselves in the list . What I want to do is produce a chart showing the number of times each descrete number appears , its value and the percentage of times it appears in the list . I think ( dangerous for me !) I should be looking at a histogram or a even a pie chart but so far my attempts (using the data analysis and chart wizards) are not what I want. As an example a list of 12 numbers could be 2, 3, 2, 4, 2, 4, 2, 2, 4, ...

= Drawing more lines in a OHLCV chart =
I have a stock database (Date,Open,High,Low,Close and Volume) and usually I draw a stock OHLC chart to see it (i prefer chandlestics). However my surprise was I tried to draw a line in the chart, for example a simple moving average. If I try to include a new data serie to the original OHLC chart, it become distortioned. Finally can i include 2 or 3 moving averages in a OHLC chart. How can I do it? See 'Stock Charts with Added Series' here: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/StockChartPlus.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutoria...

Merge same transaction
I've had transactions that I've placed in my register with detailed info in the memo area only to have the same exact transaction download with no info and unrecognized as the same transaction. Traditionally I've copied and pasted the info into the downloaded transaction and then deleted my transaction. This is a real PAIN... Is there a way to tell Money that these two separate transactions are the SAME transaction and then have it merge them? It works exactly as intended when Money recognizes the transaction that's already in the register and then merges them beautiful...

Free! Learn MS Excel
The following is a video that demonstrate to you: How to plot a chart with Microsoft Excel. http://raymondlamsk.blogspot.com/2008/05/free-learn-microsoft-excel-how-to-plot.html I hope it helps you in one way or another. ...

How do I use 2 sets of data in a chart
both sets of data are in the same workbook, but on two different worksheets. Hi, Have read of Jon's page http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartFromDiffSheets.html Cheers Andy Skeety wrote: > both sets of data are in the same workbook, but on two different worksheets. -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Merging 2 Companies into 1
Are there any guidelines or outline for what tables you need to look at to gather the various information you need in order to merge 2 companies together as well as issues to consider when undertaking such a project? It is a project and a half. I got approval from a major client yesterday to proceed with just this project. You literally need to look at all of them! I understand that MS Professional Services will do this project for you. In my case the client cannot be down and has too many 3rd party products for us to pass it off. When does your project need to be completed? -- Ri...

Bubble Chart
Hi all I would like to make a bubble chart that will automatic update when data is changed. The chart data consist of the following type of data in general; Name (Label) Ease (x) Risk (y) Size (cost) Type (colour) Product A 1 2 1 New Product (Red) Product B 2 3 2 New Product (Red) Product C 3 1 6 Improvement (Green) Product D 4 5 3 Improvement (Green) Product E 5 1 2 Cost Out (Gray) … … … … … The colour should be transparent if possible. It would also be nice if the bubble graph would automatic update if a new product is inserted / deleted. /Steen ...

Word mail merge

adding data from multiple spreadsheets into one chart
I need to put information from 4 different spreadsheets into one graph. Can someone please help me? Produce a graph from your first spreadsheet. Copy the relevant data range from the second spreadsheet, then select the graph and edit/ paste special/ new series or new data points. Similarly for the third and fourth sheets. If you have difficulties getting exactly what you want that way, you can use edit Source Data in the graph to add an extra series or to change the X or Y data range for an existing sreries. -- David Biddulph "Marjory" <Marjory@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

mail merge/merging 2 address lists...
Is there a way to merge two of your address lists in Publisher 2002? I have two address lists in my data base folder and would like all the addresses merged into one as there are some addresses different in each and some the same. Thank you. Robin Hi Robin (vicary@kconline.com.NOSPAM), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Is there a way to merge two of your address lists in Publisher 2002? || I have two address lists in my data base folder and would like all || the addresses merged into one as there are some addresses different || in each and some the same. No, you cannot. You nee...

Can I overlap only two of four data series in Excel Column Chart?
I'm trying to show a range on two of the four data series. Currently if I selected data series and overlap then it will overlap all four data series. Perhaps you want a stacked column chart. The bottom value in the stack would be the minimum value of the range, and the top would be the max minus the min. Format the bottom element to hide it (no border, no area fill), and the remaining stacked item floats from the bottom to the top of the range. Check the link below for more information. Floating column charts: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/FloatingColumns.html - Jon ----...

convert brainstorming diagram to flow chart
Using visio 2003 standard edition, can a brainstorming diagram be converted to a floe chart There's nothing built-in that I know of. But with a little automation, you could make a basic converter without a lot of trouble. You can use the built-in VBA Visual Basic in Visio to figure out which shapes are connected to which shapes, extract text and properties, etc. In this way you could build a flowchart from the Mind Map. -- Hope this helps, Chris Roth Visio MVP "steve" <steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:861EF363-1B5B-49FD-80C9-0361F9D4ACD0@m...

merge and compare
We have two versions of the same work sheet from differnt dates. Some of the cells have been changed in the latest version and we need to compare which cells have had changes and selectively merge the two. Is there any hope??? jimired wrote: > We have two versions of the same work sheet from differnt dates. > > Some of the cells have been changed in the latest version and we need > to compare which cells have had changes and selectively merge the two. > > Is there any hope??? Hi have a look at http://www.cpearson.com/Zips/Compare.ZIP An add-in which compares two worksh...

Working with Excel charts in Word
I've copied an Excel chart (ie, one based on an Excel spreadsheet) into Word. It's a bar chart with a lot of white space in the upper half. I cannot resize it to get rid of the white space. I've tried resizing, but it doesn't work. Can someone help? I'm using Office 2003. Thanks, Suroor Is it the white space inside the border you're trying to remove? If so, while in Excel select the chart, right click->Format Chart Area, under Patterns tab-> Borders, select None, and click OK. Select and paste into Word. "suroora" wrote: > I&...

How to create this chart?
I have the following three columns: - ticker symbol - stock returns - number of days held I've created a chart that displays the return and days held for each stock. I've done this in a vertical bar chart. The dollar return is on the Y axis. Returns are blue bars with days held in red next to its respective return. The X asix displays points. It goes from 0 to 85. I'm not sure what this is. Can some explain the meaning of points? Should I have done something different for the X axis? I'd like the bar chart display. I'd also like a horizontal line to go from the to...

How can I get bar codes w/ Excel & mail merge?
I want to send out a bulk mailing with large postcards. I want the addresses printed on the postcards via mail merge. I am using Excel, but don't see where or how to add the bar code to the address, which would save me a lot of money. Can you help? >-----Original Message----- >I want to send out a bulk mailing with large postcards. I want the addresses >printed on the postcards via mail merge. I am using Excel, but don't see >where or how to add the bar code to the address, which would save me a lot of >money. Can you help? >. > hi, I not entirely...

Merging worksheet into MS Word mail merge
I am merging a letter and an Excel worksheet. When I merge an Excel field that contains $ and commas separating the hundreds and thousands, the $ and the , do not show up in the merged letter. Any suggestions on how to solve this problem? -- Briggs Hi Instead of just referring to the cell e.g. A1 use =TEXT(A1,"[$$-409]#,##0.00") -- Regards Roger Govier "Briggs" <Briggs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2F326201-A50F-45E5-9767-4C189ACA5529@microsoft.com... > I am merging a letter and an Excel worksheet. When I merge an Exc...

Copying format in charts
Is there a way to copy the formatting of a chart to another chart? ie same colour bars, font types and sizes etc. You can select the entire chart, choose Copy from the Edit menu, select another chart, then choose Paste Special from the Edit menu, and use the Copy Formats option. This copies the formats in the copied chart, as well as chart and axis title text, so any title in the pasted-to chart are wiped out. You can't copy formats of individual chart elements, but what I sometimes do is format the element I wish to copy, change one thing and change it back, OK out of the dialog...

Drill down through charts
Is it possible to drill down through charts? i.e. by clicking on a double line it will open up another linked chart which expands the previous data series into another chart format? I guess this must require VBA? :confused: ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ This takes VBA, and chart events to capture the click or double click. The easiest thing would be to have the other charts present in the workbook, and the event notices which point was clicked, the...

How do I conditionally format a chart?
Is it possible to conditionally format a chart so that the colors go red when the number plotted is negative and the colors are green when the number is positive? I know you can do it manually, but I would prefer to have it happen automatically. Thanks! (I am working with Excel 2000 at work) try here:- http://www.andypope.info/charts/conditionalline.htm "Michelle" <Michelle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1B8461DB-A41D-490C-BDF4-374B319F1F3E@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to conditionally format a chart so that the colors go red > when &g...

Plot area of embedded charts unexplainably shrinks in Excel 2003 S
I am working on a large spreadsheet full of numerical data. It contains several dozen bar and line graphs embedded across several worksheets. I have a decent understanding of Excel and Excel graphs but do not use VBA. The problem I have with Excel is that it sometimes – and unpredictably – (vertically) shrinks the plot areas of the embedded graphs. This can happen between opening the document and printing it. Other times, the plot area would shrink if I click on the plot area with my mouse, and then click off on to a cell in the same worksheet. The chart area remains the same siz...

Error in Mail Merge when selecting Edit Individual Labels
We are noticing an interesting error when trying to perform a mail merge within CRM and Microsoft Word. We have created a view in contacts and we perform all the typical mail merge functionality using the Labels option. At the end, instead of printing the labels without any edits, we click on “Edit Individual labels” and we get the following error… C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. We are on CRM v4 Update Rollup 8 using Outlook 2007 and the CRM Outlook (Online only) client. Has an...

How do I stop zeros from plotting in Excel 2003 Chart
I have data that plots as zeros. This clutters up any trend analysis. Without manually removing all zero (x,y) plots, I want to not see them. Hi, If the data is the result of a formula then try using NA() instead of "" Something along the lines of =IF(ISNUMBER(A1),A1,NA()) If not then I think more detail of your data is needed in order to understand why it plots *AS* zero. Cheers Andy rjett wrote: > I have data that plots as zeros. This clutters up any trend analysis. > Without manually removing all zero (x,y) plots, I want to not see them. -- Andy Pope, Micros...