MAXA worksheet function

The functions MAXA and MINA appeared when I upgraded to
Excel 2003.  When I use them in a worksheet & try to save
the result, I receive a message saying that these functions
cannot be converted to the file format that I am using.
The file format that I am using gives Excel 97, 2003, NT,
5.0 and 95.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
0
anonymous (74721)

IIRC, MINA and MAXA appeared in XL97, so saving to XL5/95 compatible
format won't work. Is there any reason you need to save in that format?
It makes your workbook twice the size of saving it as an XL workbook
(e.g., 97/03 format) since it saves both formats in one file.

In article <265f01c49aed$0600aa10$a501280a@phx.gbl>,
 "Virginia Morris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> The functions MAXA and MINA appeared when I upgraded to
> Excel 2003.  When I use them in a worksheet & try to save
> the result, I receive a message saying that these functions
> cannot be converted to the file format that I am using.
> The file format that I am using gives Excel 97, 2003, NT,
> 5.0 and 95.  What am I doing wrong?
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
9/15/2004 12:30:45 PM
The dropdown list of file types includes the type:
"Microsoft Excel 97 - Excel 2003 & 5.0/95".  This is the
format that I have been choosing since it is the only one
that includes 2003.  This is also the one which gives the
error messag - I just tried it again to make sure that I
hadn't clicked the wrong format by mistake before.

Thanks!

wrote:

>> The functions MAXA and MINA appeared when I upgraded to
>> Excel 2003.  When I use them in a worksheet & try to save
>> the result, I receive a message saying that these functions
>> cannot be converted to the file format that I am using.
>> The file format that I am using gives Excel 97, 2003, NT,
>> 5.0 and 95.  What am I doing wrong?
>.

0
anonymous (74721)
9/17/2004 1:43:31 AM
You've misinterpreted the option, and it's not really your fault. Excel
file formats have not changed between 97 and 2003. Excel 5 and 95 used a
different file structure. For compatibility back when 97 came out,
Microsoft offered the Excel 95/97 format, which essentially doubled the
file size. The extra overhead of maintaining two formats, including an
obsolete & incompatible version, leads to various problems. Probably
only a dozen people are still using Excel 5/95, but way too many
mistakenly save in this format.

Save as a regular Excel workbook (*.xls), the first choice in the
exhaustive list.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Virginia Morris wrote:

> The dropdown list of file types includes the type:
> "Microsoft Excel 97 - Excel 2003 & 5.0/95".  This is the
> format that I have been choosing since it is the only one
> that includes 2003.  This is also the one which gives the
> error messag - I just tried it again to make sure that I
> hadn't clicked the wrong format by mistake before.
>
> Thanks!

Thank you very much!  Should I resave all of the workbooks
that I continue to use as "regular" workbooks, then?

0
anonymous (74721)
9/19/2004 7:14:50 PM
If your workbooks will not be opened using XL 5 or 95, most definitely
save them as 'regular' XLS files (in the Save As dialog box, the first
option in the filetype dropdown)

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <274a01c49e7c$ef7a00a0$a301280a@phx.gbl>,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Thank you very much!  Should I resave all of the workbooks
> that I continue to use as "regular" workbooks, then?

#NAME? Error on Entire Worksheet
I have an excel worksheet that I use for scheduling. One worksheet i pretty much all formulas that look like, =IF(BK193<>"",IF(K193<>"",IF(BK193<>"",WORKDAY(BK193,-K193,Holidays),""),""),"") where WORKDAY and Holidays are defined on another worksheet within th same workbook. This morning I opened the workbook and every single cell with a formul was outputting the #NAME? error. Any ideas on how I can fix this or even where to begin looking? I hav exhausted the excel help options. Thanks, Denis -- Message po...

worksheet ? of ?? in workbook
I know about page numbering in the header or footer, but I need some way to put the worksheet number (if counted from left to right) and the total number of worksheets in my workbook in cells on my worksheets. Does anyone know how to program some funtions that I can put into cells that I choose so that these numbers will automatically be generated and changed, even if I remove or add a worksheet, or change the order of the worksheets in the workbook (from left to right), without having to run a macro all the time. Chris Hofman hi, In the header or footer(left, right or center) put this...

How do I remove from excel automatic date function?
I would like to know if its possible to stop the function in excel that automatically changes numbers such as 2-28-6 into 2/28/2006. You can preformat the cell as Text (format|cells|number tab), then do your data entry. Or you can prefix your entry with an apostrophe: '2-28-6 Need Help wrote: > > I would like to know if its possible to stop the function in excel that > automatically changes numbers such as 2-28-6 into 2/28/2006. -- Dave Peterson If you'll admit that it is not actually a number and will not be used arithmetically, you can format the column as text,...

Group information from several worksheets into one worksheet
I have 55 sheets, each sheet has 11 questions (one per column b5- k5 which are exactly the same. Each sheet is for 1 person to enter details, entering a number between 1 and 10 depending on the question. This is filled in weekly over a 52 week period. The rows are dated for each monday The 55 sheets are dated for Mondays only for 52 weeks i.e. Row 6 1/3/10 Row 7 8/3/10 Row 8 15/3/10 Date Question1, question2 question3 etc 1/3/10 5 4 2 etc I now have a master sheet. for the answers to 1 mondays answer This sheet has the same...

Why can get the virtual function address by using this way?
Hello all: Look: class A { public: virtual void dspa()=0; }; class B { public: virtual void dspb()=0; }; class AB:public A,public B { public: virtual void dspa() { cout<<"A Class"<<endl; } virtual void dspb() { cout<<"B Class"<<endl; } } void main() { AB obj; A *pa; B *pb; pa=&obj; pb=&obj;//I think it must get by this��pb=(B*)((char*)&obj+4); } Because the class AB has two vptr,and pb is on the second vptr,but why can do:pb=&obj to get the address?Thanks very much. On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 17:40:24 +0800, "Lee ...

Freeze section of worksheet to show on all other worksheets
I posted this question in the Excel General forum but it may be more appropriate here... I have created a "Navigation" tab that has buttons using macros that take you to all the other tabs in my workbook. I used VBA code to hide all my tabs except for the Navigation one. This way I can click on button that take you to the tab but its all seamless to the viewer and makes it more like a dashboard. The problem is that I have to keep going back to the dashboard to choose another tab or add all the buttons to every tab. Is there a way to permanently split the window...

How save worksheet
Operating system: Vista Home Premium Excel version with Office 97 I am trying to save a worksheet to floppy. Worksheet is 45 lines by 15 columns. Will very much appreciate explicite lines for saving only that worksheet, not the entire workbook. Thank you for your help!!! Nels Does that version support Sent To, Mail Recipient (Sheet)? BTW, Copy the results to a floppy in Windows Explorer. Nels Hansen wrote: > Operating system: Vista Home Premium > Excel version with Office 97 > > I am trying to save a worksheet to floppy. > > Worksheet is 45 lines by 15 columns...

Named dynamic ranges, copied worksheets and graph source data
I have a worksheet setup that graphs data contained in two dynamic named ranges. The graph is an object within the worksheet and not a separate graph sheet. The named ranges are defined as follows using the dynamic range name addin for Excel: Pressure ='150 GPM'!$F$12:OFFSET('150 GPM'!$F$12,COUNTA('150 GPM'!$F$12:$F$65536)-1,0) RPM ='150 GPM'!$B$12:OFFSET('150 GPM'!$B$12,COUNTA('150 GPM'!$B$12:$B$65536)-1,0) I want to use this sheet (including the embedded graph) as a template that can be copied to quickly process other data series. The pro...

Delete blank worksheets
Hi All, I searched to find a VBA code to detect blank worksheets and delete them, I find one with green tick mark , but It dosen't work in my macro: sub delwrksheet() Dim sh As Worksheet Application.DisplayAlerts = False For Each sh In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets If ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets.Count > 1 Then If IsEmpty(ActiveSheet.UsedRange) Then sh.Delete End If End If Next sh Application.DisplayAlerts = True end sub Thanks in advance Bijan Hi You are looking at the same sheet each time (Activesheet) Try changing the...

Macro to hide worksheet based upon text in the name
Is it possible to have a macro that hides worksheets based upon text contained or not contained in the worksheet name? Suppose i have several worksheets but want to hide ony the ones that don't have the text "HOLD" in the name; worksheet names: Data_HOLD Data Selection_HOLD etc.... or maybe base it upon the WS tab color.... Thanks, Joe M. Hi, This will hide all worksheets with Hold anywhere in the name Sub Hide_shts() Dim ws As Worksheet For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets If InStr(1, ws.Name, "Hold", vbTextCompare) Then ws....

Functionality for pre-selecting outgoing email account
Hello: I am looking for software that will allow Outlook 2003 to provide a pop-up window asking me which account I want to send from when I click on the "New Mail Message" button. Idealy, this would insert the proper signature for the outgoing account to be used in the email. Can you help point me in the right direction for this? Thanks in advance. J. Chris Templeton Outlook 2003 already provides this functionality via the Accounts drop-down list on an open message. If you want it to switch signatures automatically, you need to be using WordMail as your editor and have a de...

Changing worksheet references
After copying worksheets from one workbook into a new one the cell references in the new workbook refer to values in the old workbook A typical cell reference in the new workbook might look like ='C:\Some Directory\[SomeWorkbook.xlsm]SomeWorksheet'!$AQ$4'. The correct reference in the new workbook should be =SomeWorksheet!$AQ$4. There must be several hundred such references in the new workbook. Is there some way, other than manually, to correct the references to the current workbook? TIA, Ken Make sure the new workbook is saved. Then, you shoul be able to ...

How can we find out different format combination in a worksheet?
Excel support 4000 different format combination in a excel sheet then Is there any way to find out different format combincation in a worksheet. ...

Using XPath function lang() does not work in XPathNavigator
Hello, I'm stuck with a simple problem, for which I don't have a solution. I basically have an XML file containing fragments of plain text and html, in several languages: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?> <ms:Locales xmlns:ms="urn:myspace" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"> <ms:Locale id="EN" locale="en-US" xml:lang="EN"> <ms:Text name="LegalInformation">Legal Information</ms:Text> <ms:Text name="Imprint">Imprint</ms:Text> <ms:Text n...

Conditional formating across worksheets
Is there any way to do conditional formatting across two worksheets? So for example if cell A1 on sheet 1 = 10 then cell A1 on sheet 2 is red. I haven't explored this, but you have have to put a cell on Sheet2 with the formula =Sheet1!A1 and refer to that cell in your CF formula. On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 19:56:56 -0800, "Patrick Simonds" <ordnance1@comcast.net> wrote: >Is there any way to do conditional formatting across two worksheets? So for >example if cell A1 on sheet 1 = 10 then cell A1 on sheet 2 is red. > Hi! To use cf on a sheet that is dependant upo...

Lookup question based on 2 columns per worksheet, 2 worksheets total
Excel 2002 Windows XP I have two worksheets in a workbook, sheets 1 and 2 respectively. Each sheet contains a rather large table that are for all intents and purposes the same except that one table (sheet 2) has more up to date information than the one in sheet 1. Each sheet contains an X labeled column (column A in both) and a Y labeled column (column B in both). The values in these columns are geographic coordinates. What I'd like to do is add information from sheet 1 to sheet 2 based on matching coordinate pairs. For example, if on sheet 2 I have A2 = 1234.567 (X value) and B2 = 4...

Using user-defined functions in cells
What is the correct way to define a function that can be plugged into any spreadsheet cell as a formula?? I defined a function as follows: Public Function DoMyStuff () importantData = Sheet1.Range("A1").Value importantData = importantData * 10 DoMyStuff = importantData ' Return a value End Function I then plugged my function into cell "B1" as follows: =DoMyStuf() Okay, now I noticed that when anybody edits the contents of cell "A1" that my "DoMyStuff" is not getting called ag...

Duplicate Worksheets in Multiple Excel Files
People: Say that you have several different Excel FILES and you want to check for duplicate WORKSHEETS in some of the files. Are there programs which can find the duplicate worksheets and eliminate them? Anne ...

OFFSET Function
Hi, I'm trying to implement some functionality using the OFFSET function, but do not understand what the two optional variables are doing. For example, I am happy that for the range below, OFFSET(A1,1,2) will return the value "c2" A B c 1 a1 b1 c1 2 a2 b2 c2 3 a3 b3 c3 If I made the function OFFSET(A1,1,2,1,1) c2 is also returned but any other values fior the two optional variables seem to return some really strange results - usually REF or VALUE errrors. The online XL help describes these as values as the height or width that the returned refe...

MAXA worksheet function
The functions MAXA and MINA appeared when I upgraded to Excel 2003. When I use them in a worksheet & try to save the result, I receive a message saying that these functions cannot be converted to the file format that I am using. The file format that I am using gives Excel 97, 2003, NT, 5.0 and 95. What am I doing wrong? Thanks! IIRC, MINA and MAXA appeared in XL97, so saving to XL5/95 compatible format won't work. Is there any reason you need to save in that format? It makes your workbook twice the size of saving it as an XL workbook (e.g., 97/03 format) since it saves both for...

Using INDIRECT within functions

Worksheet 303 MPQ Update @ HQ
I would liek the ability to have Worksheet 303 update the MPQ @ HQ in addition to the store MPQ value. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=c349b728-4215-4526-...

Linking Names in Worksheets to Worksheet Tabs
Is there a way to link a name in a worksheet to that worksheet tab? ask this because I have several workbooks and want to have the name match the tabs, even when the names change. TIA for any help: -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com From a recent post by Frank K. in: http://tinyurl.com/36nlo Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub If Intersect(Target, Me.Range("A1")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub On Error GoTo CleanUp application.enableevents = false With Target If .Value <> &quo...

Average function assistance
I need help with developing an average function for a golf league. We use an avarage of the last 5 scores posted to develop the person's handicap. Each week a new score is added to the data and a new average calculated with the 5th oldest score being dropped and newest score being included in the average. The data is kept on the worksheet in rows. Because a golfer may miss a week, some rows may have blanks that should not be considered. For example a person's scores may look like this for the season: 45, 47, blank, 44, 48, 46, blank, 49 (the 45 is the earliest score and 49 is th...

xtract data range from multiple worksheets
Hi all, what i am looking to do is as follows - i have a folder, ""C:\test\", which contains multiple workbooks, each of which contain multiple worksheets, one of which is named "SUMMARY" i need to extract data from the worksheet named "SUMMARY" within each workbook - cells D1 TO I1 - & create & paste to a new worksheet in my master workbook, "NEW_RTGS", listing the extracted data row by row starting at cell D1. thanks for any help provided -- davez ------------------------------------------------------------------------ davez's P...