Make it more simple or intuitive to do simple things

I appreciate the fact that applications are becoming more versatile and able
to do things that we hardly thought possible in the past but I feel that in
this added complexity you are losing sight of the need to do simple things
easily without resorting to trial and error or consulting "help" which often
anyhow doesn't lead one straight to the solution!  An example is how to
produce a chart with a series of months i.e Jan Feb Mar etc appearing on the
X axis.  This is no doubt something that resulted naturally in the first
versions of Excel charts or in a competitor's early (or present?) version.
Now when one comes to do this the numbers 1,2,3 etc appear. I eventually
learnt to first format this text to a date. There also seems to be no "how to
produce a chart" as such and one has to rely on a search word which may not
always correspond to Microsoft's nomenclature.  Is it not time to consolidate
things into a more intuitive process to do what you need to without getting
lost?  Thank you.
0
Vernie (1)

Hey Vernie -

Are you asking for specific help? This forum is predominantly "staffed" by
non-Microsoft volunteers. You could send your comments directly to Microsoft at
mswish@microsoft.com.

You could also pay a visit to our friend google.com, and do a search on, say, Excel
chart tutorial. You'd probably get a few thousand hits.

The particular difficulty you report can be helped by using a relatively
undocumented data arrangement. Put the X data (your months in this case) in a
column, and the different Y values in the next few columns. Put labels in the row
immediately above the Y values; these will be used in the chart as series names in
the legend. Leave the cell above the X values BLANK. This blank set the top row and
first column apart from the rest of the data, and Excel automatically uses these
special ranges for X data and series names.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Vernie wrote:

> I appreciate the fact that applications are becoming more versatile and able
> to do things that we hardly thought possible in the past but I feel that in
> this added complexity you are losing sight of the need to do simple things
> easily without resorting to trial and error or consulting "help" which often
> anyhow doesn't lead one straight to the solution!  An example is how to
> produce a chart with a series of months i.e Jan Feb Mar etc appearing on the
> X axis.  This is no doubt something that resulted naturally in the first
> versions of Excel charts or in a competitor's early (or present?) version.
> Now when one comes to do this the numbers 1,2,3 etc appear. I eventually
> learnt to first format this text to a date. There also seems to be no "how to
> produce a chart" as such and one has to rely on a search word which may not
> always correspond to Microsoft's nomenclature.  Is it not time to consolidate
> things into a more intuitive process to do what you need to without getting
> lost?  Thank you.

Make Default

Positioning POS against Intuit
“Hey My, Intuit's POS system allows their store owners to have mulitple stores and has the same aspects as you would have with running Retail Management Systems w/ the Headquarters program. If we could get that into this low cost program I see a great way to compete with Intuit. The only thing that MSPOS would really need is a way to download inventory and sales data from other stores. If the customer wants more well than they will have to buy Retail Management and Headquarters” regards Ryan ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the ...

making a transfer show up in the budget

making tickets

AN OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE $$$

Simple POST request of .net web service
I am trying to access a .net web service from c++ code using xmlhttprequest. It works fine for methods that don't take parameters. I get the same (correct) response for parameterless methods that I get when accessing the asmx page through the browser. For a method that takes a parameter, the browser shows a HTTP-POST request including a parameter, 'aInput=string'. No matter how I implement the request parameter of the xmlHTTPRequest.send method, I get a 'Invalid Request' response (not unrecognized Request which I will get if I am really wrong. I have set the con...

Simple yet very frustrating filter issue...
Here is the foundation information: SQL Server: 2005 Table fields: LeaseNumber varchar(50) and an host of 30 other fields including name, address, date, etc. Issue: When the following procedure is run it will only work if the opening variable @LeaseNumber is set as int, not as varchar as it is setup in the table. The customer will have lease numbers that are only numeric (1016), alphanumeric (3333QT), and finally sometimes complex entries such as 4325-1 or even 5932GW-1. Now, obviously whenever you attempt to ...

How to make VLOOKUP work for this

Make Personal Calendar Read Only

Making a bmp transparent
Using Publisher 2000 Windows 98SE Is it possible to make a graphic file transparent? I'm attempting to create a motivational cartoon and would like to have a couple of scenes in the background. To do this I think I need to make an image file transparent. Can it be done? I have Paint Shop Pro and MS Paint. I have the challenge in the file, "Problem.zip" which can be downloaded at: http://www.tinyurl.com/wifs On the "Odds, Ends & Funny Things page. Click on the Snowman. 'Appreciate the help. -- Don -------- Vancouver, USA - One of the great cities in one of...

How to make Frames??
how to make frames in microsoft publisher??? You use the Tool called TEXT FRAME Pretty easy I would have thought - obviously a challenge for some. -- i try to find in tool section.. but there is no button called TEXT FRAME? can u tell me the steps! PLZ!! Thankx.. and one more question.. i would link some sites... but i want that link(site) to be pop up in new window.? how to do it??? i've been trying to find it.. but then it always pop up in same window.. and could u tell me the steps?? plz. Thanzk Trust me, there is most definitely a button called Text Frame. Look in the HEL...

simple "AND", "OR" question
Hello: Without using the term "BETWEEN", let's say that you are trying to create a "where" clause where you are trying to say a date is between 02/01/2010 and 02/28/2010. Should you use "AND" or "OR"? Here is what I'm getting at: where date >= 02/01/2010 AND date <= 02/28/2010 where date >= 02/01/2010 OR date <= 02/28/2010 I can never remember whether to use "AND" or "OR", when joining fields like that in a clause. I think that "AND" is the best way to go. If it is "AND", w...

How to make this report simple? Thanks
How to combine all items to be read better? I mean just now I have 3 products however to each of theme are the same items / Rqst, EG, SP, EG-SP/ and I would like to meka it simplier. July2006 August2005 Group1 Group2 Group3 Group1 Group2 product1 Rqst 4301 0 250 120 75 EG 3560 0 150 80 100 SP 3200 0 120 40 50 EG-SP 360 0 65 30 200 product2 Rqst 100 150 EG SP EG-SP product3 Rqst EG SP EG-SP Thanks a lot for any kind of info. Juraj / mer68@zmail.sk ...

How to make a stacked bar chart using time?
Hi, I have the following data to plot on a stacked bar chart, and displayed as time. Dr X Dr Y Dr Z 02:03 03:00 01:00 00:20 02:00 00:30 00:40 01:00 00:30 02:45 01:00 00:15 02:10 08:13 07:00 02:00 This is time in hours and minutes. I need the result to look like this... Dr.X bar [02:03][00:20][00:40][02:45][00:15][02:10] Dr.Y bar [03:00][02:00][01:00][01:00] Dr.Z bar [01:00][00:30][00:30] where [02:03] represents a colour to represent 2 hrs & 3 mins etc. If I just select the Dr. X data I can get a stacked chart, but as soon as I add either Dr. Y or Dr. Z data the whole chart ...

making lines around info so it looks like a table when printed or viewed
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) How do I put horizontal and vertical lines around all the cells so it looks like a table? Display the Toolbox by hitting the Toolbox button. Activate the Formatting Palette (upper left button) then chose Borders and Shading. Make sure you select the cels you want to format.... <br><br>make your choice in de button that has &quot;type:&quot; in front of it. Done Thank you I have been successfully making borders in all my excel worksheets but since the latest update, the palette in excel no longer works. At firs...

How do I make each row add up seperatly? Please make it easy...
I have never set up anything on excel before. My job has always had it ready for me. I want to do this to help me figure out how much I will need for my baking ingredients for the holidays. I thought that I could put a row for sugar, and then for everything I am making with sugar type in 3/4 cup and 1 1/2 cups then at the end of all the sugar items have it add how much I will need. Can anyone tell me step by step how to set this up?? Please make it easy I am not computer smart at all. I'm willing to take this project on! Why don't you email what you have to ng@officear...

making numbered tickets
how can I make numbered tickets for my group without having to pay a printer? There is a template for numbered tickets here (raffle ticket) http://www.publishermvps.com/General/Templates/tabid/38/Default.aspx Consecutive numbering tutorial http://www.publishermvps.com/Default.aspx?tabid=95 -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "carmelitahaynes@hotmail.com" <carmelitahaynes@hotmail.com@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6068BB43-C2AB-4046-8467-20610ECE66E5@microsoft.com... > how can I make num...

Vlookup or something more? Trying to make the book intuitive...
Hi there, I hope you can help. I’m trying to make my life much easier by making a currently unwieldy spreadsheet into one that’s a lot more intuitive. Currently I have to enter data twice into the same spreadsheet but I hope to be able to enter it once and have the other sheets automatically update. First, the explanation… This is a spreadsheet that tracks the holidays of a department of 20 people. Currently it fulfils a few functions. First, it tracks each individual on their own worksheet which goes into details (date began/ended, etc). Second, it tracks them all together on an...

Make a window active
Hey all I'm trying to write a script that will make Outlook the active window, whether its minimized or not. It will then send Alt+F4 to close it. I have no idea how to make Outlook the active window. Any ideas? On Jan 26, 11:41=A0am, Matt Longo <justice8...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hey all > > I'm trying to write a script that will make Outlook the active window, > whether its minimized or not. It will then send Alt+F4 to close it. I > have no idea how to make Outlook the active window. Any ideas? I wouldn't do it that way. I'd access the provid...